ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-22-2014, 09:27 PM   #4531
Hesaid
Beastly Adventurer
 
Hesaid's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: Central CA
Oddometer: 1,340
Oh man, would I love to comment on this.

But I just added some mesquite, and finished bacon wrapping the steaks. Plus beer. But man... This is so not cool.

MV
__________________
DR Feelgood , Tipsy Wombat, Pinkfoot, FatCat, and how they got their names: What the hell is a wombat? And now, the tales of their adventures.
Hesaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 11:08 PM   #4532
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick
 
longtallsally's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: BACK IN THE STATES!!!
Oddometer: 4,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmac View Post
And now the BLM has your name and home address on file.

For riding a legal, non BLM county road.

That is so wrong.
Yeah, my trust of our "government" these days is such that I'd have kept my $5, said hi to the rangers (in as much as I would have told them just how pathetic all that nonsense is) and turned around. I'll drive further to somewhere else before I have to deal with that BS.
__________________
[quote=Insert witty comment here]
longtallsally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 11:42 PM   #4533
scottmac
Beastly Adventurer
 
scottmac's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: La Selva Beach, CA.
Oddometer: 1,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by longtallsally View Post
Yeah, my trust of our "government" these days is such that I'd have kept my $5, said hi to the rangers (in as much as I would have told them just how pathetic all that nonsense is) and turned around. I'll drive further to somewhere else before I have to deal with that BS.

This is Piracy. Federal Govt. Piracy.

They have no jurisdiction to block those roads and charge a use fee.

I was down there when the county roads first opened. The BLM had done
zero work to keep those routes open. They only started patrolling and
maintaining (at their own expense) after the San Benito County board
resolution.
scottmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 12:24 AM   #4534
SFMCjohn
13
 
SFMCjohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: San Francisco, CA, 94102
Oddometer: 904
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmac View Post
This is Piracy. Federal Govt. Piracy.

They have no jurisdiction to block those roads and charge a use fee.

I was down there when the county roads first opened. The BLM had done
zero work to keep those routes open. They only started patrolling and
maintaining (at their own expense) after the San Benito County board
resolution.
I never even realized the county roads were ever "closed" ... they never gated them, so always rode through on the county roads whenever ...

Here's a link to pics on SBR that Apex Molester posted of the new gates:
http://www.southbayriders.com/forums...3#post-1908998

At the most recent Board of Supervisors meeting the BLM agreed not to lock the gates for 30 days, to allow time for a meeting with the County Counsel's office ... (I think this gate was built _after_ that meeting, at which the Board voiced strong objections to the BLMs plans to collect fees and gate county roads) ...

If you google "BLM vs county roads" some of the hits suggest calling and complaining to the sheriff's office ... apparently they are generally responsible for dealing with obstructed county roads ... a sheriff in Utah has had to be pretty assertive with the BLM ... have not heard if San Benito's sheriff has time or inclination ... certainly won't if no one complains ...

I think the 30 days ends April 3 or 4th ... most likely scenario I've heard is the BLM will lock the gates and the county will be forced to assert their rights ...

see you around the campfire,
-- SFMCjohn
__________________
caryandjohn.blog: Baja, KLR, & '73 Tiger Ride Reports
San Francisco Motorcycle Club, Est. 1904
Let's Ride!: BAARC and Old's Cool Ride Reports Index
IBA#'98onaEX500

SFMCjohn screwed with this post 03-23-2014 at 12:35 AM
SFMCjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 12:45 AM   #4535
scottmac
Beastly Adventurer
 
scottmac's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: La Selva Beach, CA.
Oddometer: 1,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFMCjohn View Post
I never even realized the county roads were ever "closed" ... they never gated them, so always rode through on the county roads whenever ...

Here's a link to pics on SBR that Apex Molester posted of the new gates:
http://www.southbayriders.com/forums...3#post-1908998

At the most recent Board of Supervisors meeting the BLM agreed not to lock the gates for 30 days, to allow time for a meeting with the County Counsel's office ... (I think this gate was built _after_ that meeting, at which the Board voiced strong objections to the BLMs plans to collect fees and gate county roads) ...

If you google "BLM vs county roads" some of the hits suggest calling and complaining to the sheriff's office ... apparently they are generally responsible for dealing with obstructed county roads ... a sheriff in Utah has had to be pretty assertive with the BLM ... have not heard if San Benito's sheriff has time or inclination ... certainly won't if no one complains ...

I think the 30 days ends April 3 or 4th ... most likely scenario I've heard is the BLM will lock the gates and the county will be forced to assert their rights ...

see you around the campfire,
-- SFMCjohn

Contact the San Benito County Sheriffs Office. The Sheriff has absolute
jurisdiction down there on those roads. The BLM has to answer to the
San Benito County Sheriffs Dept.
scottmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 03:42 AM   #4536
TSJA
Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: 95008
Oddometer: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmac View Post
On the county roads?

That is absolute bvllsh!t.
Yes.
TSJA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 03:47 AM   #4537
TSJA
Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: 95008
Oddometer: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsxr View Post
Are they checking bikes? I have a plate but the signals and brake light don't work yet. I am planning a trip down there next week or 2 and am wondering
No. They also didn't check for license, regs, or insurance. They didn't even verify the plate number I wrote down.
TSJA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 04:59 AM   #4538
_Magoo_
master of disaster....
 
_Magoo_'s Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: nuevo mexico
Oddometer: 5,561
__________________
-Baja survivor NMOHVA/COHVCO/BRC/AMA/USA-ALL
I'm not a Gynecologist... But I'll have a Look...
2007 Suzuki WeeStrom/2006 KTM450EXC/2001 Honda XR650L/2001 Sherco 290

_Magoo_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 06:51 AM   #4539
ian408
Oh?
 
ian408's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Santa Clara, CA
Oddometer: 14,507
Typical Rick Cooper/BLM behavior-just plow right ahead of any process. Recall he was knocking structures down before he was allowed and ripping up roads as well.
ian408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:19 AM   #4540
Hesaid
Beastly Adventurer
 
Hesaid's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: Central CA
Oddometer: 1,340
So I was just reading THIS and this part caught my eye:

Access to the Serpentine Area of Critical Environmental Concern (ACEC) is accomplished by obtaining a free Serpentine ACEC access permit for each person in addition to the vehicle use permit; each person is limited to 5 permits per year. This permit allows individuals to enter the Serpentine ACEC for one day. Beginning March 14, 2014 these mandatory individual permits can be obtained at least 48 hours in advance of the date of entry at the Hollister Field Office, via fax, or email from Monday to Friday 7:30am to 4:00pm, except government holidays. Permit cancellations must be made at least 24 hours in advance of the permitted date of entry.

So one permit, per person, per day. Obtainable at least two days in advance... Cancelable more than one day in advance... Every rider would need two permits... How many riders would be willing to email permit requests every Monday, make them fill out two permits and email them back, and than cancel them every Thursday, just stating that "I wasn't sure if I was going to ride this weekend, but I wanted to make sure I followed proper procedure"

I'm not sure if it would really cause them to re-evaluate their plan or position, but at least it would be us annoying them for a change...

MV
__________________
DR Feelgood , Tipsy Wombat, Pinkfoot, FatCat, and how they got their names: What the hell is a wombat? And now, the tales of their adventures.
Hesaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:35 AM   #4541
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick
 
longtallsally's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: BACK IN THE STATES!!!
Oddometer: 4,450
All that BS just to ride a few fire roads. Hell with these people.

I pray that one day, we can go back to being a free nation.
__________________
[quote=Insert witty comment here]
longtallsally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 04:05 PM   #4542
ramjet
Beastly Adventurer
 
ramjet's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Super F'd Up N. California
Oddometer: 2,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesaid View Post
So I was just reading THIS and this part caught my eye:

Access to the Critical Toilet Paper is accomplished by obtaining a free Toilet Paper access permit for each person in addition to the roll use permit; each person is limited to 5 permits per year. This permit allows individuals to enter the Toilet Paper queue for one day. Beginning March 14, 2014 these mandatory individual permits can be obtained at least 48 hours in advance of the date of entry at the Hollister Field Office, via fax, or email from Monday to Friday 7:30am to 4:00pm, except government holidays. Permit cancellations must be made at least 24 hours in advance of the permitted date of entry.

MV
Makes this much sense to me. Fuck this. What is this the Soviet Union!?
__________________
"Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men." Gen. George S. Patton
ramjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 10:44 AM   #4543
SFMCjohn
13
 
SFMCjohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: San Francisco, CA, 94102
Oddometer: 904
Hey BAARCers,

I promised BAARCer 666 that I'd post a pic ...
we talked about Catfish's Alpine Lake run later this season ...



Mr. 666 on the right ... we had about thirty folks show
up for the MotoGP race, which was EPIC!

Hope to meet some more BAARCers this season ...
we'll be riding down to Mercey Hot Springs on
April 5th to camp Saturday night, and will be camping at Hollister Hills
on April 18th and 19th and riding through Sunday ...

I'm also signed up for the excellent Mendo Rally, April 30 - May 5th ... Even though the first post says "full" mootsuno sez
people can still sign up and
camp at the campground just a short walk away ...

And of course, the Sheetiron! May 17-18th ...

see you around the campfire,
-- SFMCjohn
__________________
caryandjohn.blog: Baja, KLR, & '73 Tiger Ride Reports
San Francisco Motorcycle Club, Est. 1904
Let's Ride!: BAARC and Old's Cool Ride Reports Index
IBA#'98onaEX500

SFMCjohn screwed with this post 03-24-2014 at 11:11 AM
SFMCjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 03:43 PM   #4544
chrish4ku
Studly Adventurer
 
chrish4ku's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: San Leandro, CA
Oddometer: 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramjet View Post
Makes this much sense to me. Fuck this. What is this the Soviet Union!?
First they take back Ukraine, then the take our land.

"mmmm...Papers Please"
__________________
_______________________
Chris
I don't normally ride on the street,,,but when I do,,I prefer lane splitting.
2011 KTM 990 Adventure / KTM 500 EXC
Chris' Sat Tracker
chrish4ku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 04:53 PM   #4545
meat popsicle
Ignostic
 
meat popsicle's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Circumlocution Office of Little Dorrit
Oddometer: 14,237
I'm guessing if the BLM is doing this then San Benito Co has said yes. If not, then the BLM is asking for a spanking.
__________________
Kronreif Trunkenpolz Mattighofen LC4 640

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015