ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2014, 10:36 AM   #4576
Kampfire
Trucky on two wheels

Oddometer: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by M N B View Post
We usually do 2 days down, 1 day back. Think scenic and twisty.

1->cambria->41->stuff->58->Bakersfield->Best Western
178->395->190?->into Death Valley

Home we usually turn south towards Ridgecrest just before Panamint Springs, then take 178 back through to Bakersfield and after that, whatever you want to get home... usually as little of 5 as possible. It's a long slog home. Think... I have to work tomorrow, I need to get home TODAY.
Quote:
Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
I typically leave San Mateo at 6 AM and get to Stovepipe Wells about 5 PM. That includes my breakfast stop, but I don't have a sit-down lunch. Were I going to Wildrose I'm guessing it would be about 30 minutes faster taking my route. Unless I have to backtrack to Bakersfield and 178 because 155 is closed due to snow. Check before making any final decisions.

From Napa I'd consider 680 -> 580 -> I5 and drone south for a 150 miles or so to 46. It would cut your travel time by a lot. Wouldn't be much fun, though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedski View Post
I usually do 101 -> 25 -> Coalinga/Los Gatos Creek -> Gas/Food in Coalinga -> 198 across the valley -> Old Stage Road -> 155 -> overnight/beer in Kernville -> 178 -> Ballarat -> Goler Wash -> Mengal Pass -> Furnace Creek
This has been some great information, and has put Death Valley on the KLR into a whole other plan now. Researching these routes, times, allowing for stops & photography, has just sort of blown DV out of the picture for this trip. I'm taking three days to get to Prescott Arizona for a group ride on that weekend.

But after looking at these great routes, threads on the rides, and pictures, I just want to spend more time down there without having a schedule to keep. Just the basic sights to cruise around down there and see should take a week at a nice pace and enjoy.

You people are an amazing source of info, thanks.

So the alternative is going to be slab it down 5 to 46>99>58>40... To Ludlow. And then Cruise the old Route 66 (or what's left of it) to Kingman to pick up another rider and continue to Prescott.
Thanks again for all the help. And yes, I'll post up some pics and a ride report.

2008 Kawasaki KLR650, keeps me out of trouble, most of the time.
1999 Toyota Land Cruiser, goes where I want to and need to
Kampfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:59 AM   #4577
catfish
Squidicus Adventurous

Oddometer: 574
Pssst ... we're back!

Ride report just getting started over here.

Catfish ...
catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 06:04 PM   #4578
oobus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
Ahhhh, that's where Santa goes in the off season, but I always figured his bike was a red Honda....

Looks like you guys had a great time!
oobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 06:40 PM   #4579
Mikengrace
Have KLR Go Anywhere

Oddometer: 50
Mercy Hot Springs.

Hi Gang.
I just wanted to take the time to thank all of you, especially SFMCJOHN, for making Ken and I fell welcome to your Mercy Hot Springs gathering. Although I've lived in the area all my life, I had never ridden at Panoche Hills. I probably still would not have if it weren't for your invitation, and Ken's offer to truck me down and ride with me. As you may know, I am battling cancer. As a result I am to weak to take a chance of riding by myself. Because of your willingness to include us, in your ride, I was able to enjoy a great day of riding. Thank you all. Without knowing it you made a great day possible for me. Keep this in mind when you invite others along on your rides. God Bless and ride safe.
P.S. I am looking forward to riding with you again at Hollister Hills on April 18th.
Mikengrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:03 AM   #4580
SFMCjohn

Oddometer: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by catfish View Post
Pssst ... we're back!

Ride report just getting started over here.

Catfish ...
Hey Catfish,

Window rock! Looks like
you all were able to travel light ...
Thanks for the link and RR!

see you around the campfire,
-- SFMCjohn
IBA#'98onaEX500
SFMCjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:37 AM   #4581
SFMCjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikengrace View Post
Hi Gang.
I just wanted to take the time to thank all of you, especially SFMCJOHN, for making Ken and I fell welcome to your Mercy Hot Springs gathering. Although I've lived in the area all my life, I had never ridden at Panoche Hills. I probably still would not have if it weren't for your invitation, and Ken's offer to truck me down and ride with me. As you may know, I am battling cancer. As a result I am to weak to take a chance of riding by myself. Because of your willingness to include us, in your ride, I was able to enjoy a great day of riding. Thank you all. Without knowing it you made a great day possible for me. Keep this in mind when you invite others along on your rides. God Bless and ride safe.
P.S. I am looking forward to riding with you again at Hollister Hills on April 18th.
Hi Mike,

You are welcome, and thanks to you and Ken for making an appearance ...
Funny how we can live in an area and not get around to riding somewhere 'til
someone says "hey, we'll be there this weekend!"

woodsxr and Mikengrace ...

The new KLX 250 leading the way ...

woodsxr and his new-to-him KTM ...

Skeet shootin' lessons ...

Clear Creek ... no locked gates, no pay kiosks, no rangers ... Just reporting what our experience at CC was this time, YMMV ...

Couple more pix, here:
http://caryandjohn.wordpress.com/201...o-the-springs/

Looking forward to riding with you at Hollister Hills on the weekend of the 18th, Mike!

-- SFMCjohn
IBA#'98onaEX500

SFMCjohn screwed with this post 04-07-2014 at 12:07 PM
Old 04-07-2014, 10:52 AM   #4582
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,448
I hope that is subsistence skeet shooting.
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 06:03 PM   #4583
Mikengrace
Have KLR Go Anywhere

Oddometer: 50
Thanks for the pictures.

Thanks John, for posting the pictures of Ken (woodsxr), and myself (Mikengrace), from the Mercy Hot springs run. It is cool to see ourselves out there riding. Thanks.
Mikengrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 06:39 PM   #4584
Hesaid
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 973
So where exactly did you guys ride? I know where Mercy Springs is, but I had been under the impression that most, if not all, of the dirt in that area was off limits to two wheeled vehicles, even street legal ones. Come to think of it, I think I remember reading of this on some scofflaw's blog... Someone who dared defy Ranger Rick and rode there anyway. Was riding at Tumey an option all winter long?

Good to hear the news about Clear Creek. We need to get back over there before summer gets here.

MV
Old 04-07-2014, 07:17 PM   #4585
woodsxr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
Thank all for such a great time yesterday.
I had a fun time. It was nice getting the KTM out in open land instead of a tight. Controlled trail system. Looking forward to doing a trip to Clear Creek
Panocha Hills is just under an hour from the house
It is nice seeing pics of us in action!
I was under the impression that you could be there as long as the vehicle is street legal.
My assumption of BLM land when I was growing up is that it would be legal to ride green sticker bikes on it
I guess things change throughout the years
woodsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:33 PM   #4586
SFMCjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsxr View Post
Thank all for such a great time yesterday.
I had a fun time. It was nice getting the KTM out in open land instead of a tight. Controlled trail system. Looking forward to doing a trip to Clear Creek
Panocha Hills is just under an hour from the house
It is nice seeing pics of us in action!
I was under the impression that you could be there as long as the vehicle is street legal.
My assumption of BLM land when I was growing up is that it would be legal to ride green sticker bikes on it
I guess things change throughout the years
Hey Ken and Mike,

Good to see you guys, and sorry we didn't do more riding ...
We basically bummed some gas and headed home right after I said goodbye ...
Didn't get back to San Francisco 'till 6:30pm ...

Two more:

see you round the campfire,
-- John A
IBA#'98onaEX500
Old 04-07-2014, 07:52 PM   #4587
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,455
Nice pictures!
Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:30 AM   #4588
SFMCjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Nice pictures!
Hey Bob,
Thanks!
hope to see you soon,
-- SFMCjohn
IBA#'98onaEX500
Old 04-08-2014, 08:08 AM   #4589
SFMCjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesaid View Post
So where exactly did you guys ride? I know where Mercy Springs is, but I had been under the impression that most, if not all, of the dirt in that area was off limits to two wheeled vehicles, even street legal ones. Come to think of it, I think I remember reading of this on some scofflaw's blog... Someone who dared defy Ranger Rick and rode there anyway. Was riding at Tumey an option all winter long?

Good to hear the news about Clear Creek. We need to get back over there before summer gets here.

MV
Hi Hesaid,

I got some PMs about our recent Clear Creek experience, so maybe I was too glib based on all the changes that are in the wind for CC ...

Went back and looked at your thread about your March Clear Creek ride:
http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....&postcount=101

So we rode the same area except that we rode all the way through Clear Creek from east to west on what I call Clear Creek Road (R1) ... we didn't see any locked gates, or new signs ... We didn't see any new "iron rangers" at Jade Mill or Oak Flat or at the Caolinga Road entrance ... The one new gate I saw (unlocked) is in the middle of the road, not two new gates at either end, like I imagined ...

What is a bit annoying for adventure riders like me is that the BLM has no idea who really uses Clear Creek Road ... I found it on a AAA map twenty years ago and have been using it once or twice a year as a "through traveler" on my way elsewhere ... exactly like we used it Sunday ... so the planning ahead nature of the new access permits will be a PITA ...

They spent big bucks on EPA stuff and a decontamination station, but no money to find out who actually uses the road ... ranger Rick had to be questioned by the Board of Supervisors about how a locked gate and fees would impact owners and their guests who use the road to access private land and claims up there ...

We'd have been a bit screwed, gasoline-wise, if we'd run into a locked gate at, say, Coalinga Road and been turned around at that point ...

So ... we saw no difference up there to what we've seen for twenty years ... YMMV

Tumey Hills rocks ... closed in the summer fire season like Panoche ... in and out stuff like Panoche ... no dirt bikes or OHVs ... (EDIT: I’ve heard that it is NOT LEGAL to ride a street bike on the established roads in Panoche and Tumey Hills … that one may be ticketed by the BLM for trespassing …)

Anyway ... we are not scoff-laws ...

-- SFMCjohn
IBA#'98onaEX500

SFMCjohn screwed with this post 04-08-2014 at 07:54 PM
Old 04-08-2014, 06:24 PM   #4590
Hesaid
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 973
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFMCjohn View Post
Tumey Hills rocks ... closed in the summer fire season like Panoche ... in and out stuff like Panoche ... no dirt bikes or OHVs ...

Anyway ... we are not scoff-laws ...

-- SFMCjohn
I had been under the impression that Tumey was closed to two wheeled vehicles plated or not. I had read numerous warnings (1,2,3,4,5) to that effect a while ago, and looking around, it seemed to be the case. Is it not true? Can street legal bikes ride in Tumey?

(Are you sure you're not a scoff-law? Something about a couple of those links...)

MV