ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2014, 02:46 PM   #4681
SFMCjohn

Oddometer: 845
Quote:
Originally Posted by catfish View Post
There will be another group of 50 riders passing thru Cow Mtn, Middle Creek, Hull Mtn,
Covelo, Kettenpom, & on to Garberville Saturday.

Wave if you see us!

Catfish ...
Ha, super-cool!

Sounds like the Roy/Boyd fast safety-first dual-sport ride?

Maybe I'll see if I can catch you guys at the Soda Creek Store
lunchtime on Saturday ... that sounds like fun ...

see you on the porch,
-- SFMCjohn
IBA#'98onaEX500

SFMCjohn screwed with this post 05-27-2014 at 03:04 PM
SFMCjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 08:24 PM   #4682
catfish
Squidicus Adventurous

Oddometer: 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFMCjohn View Post
Ha, super-cool!

Sounds like the Roy/Boyd fast safety-first dual-sport ride?

Who?!? Shhhh ...

Quote:
Maybe I'll see if I can catch you guys at the Soda Creek Store
lunchtime on Saturday ... that sounds like fun ...

see you on the porch,
-- SFMCjohn

Noonish at the porch should be about right. However, I'm hoping to be
ahead of the main group by starting early. Shhh ...

Catfish ...
catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 02:58 PM   #4683
WHOISDIRK
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Human Beak-in Period

I've been riding for years and always wanted to get off pavement and into the weeds. I finally got a light adv capable bike (g650 xcountry) and am looking for suggestions on some good trips to cut my teeth on. I've just gotten over the break in period on the dual sport tires I put on the g650 but am wondering where I can start breaking my mind in when it comes to riding the rough stuff. I'm located in san francisco and am looking for suggestions of good weekend adventure rides.

I'm going to try to hit Metcalf or carnegie ohv over the next few weeks but was wondering in anyone can PM me with a suggested weekend trip route or to let me know about some good fire roads in the area. I'm pretty new to this but any advice or suggestions would be a big help. I'd say we should take a ride but I should learn more or you'd spend the whole time waiting for me.
WHOISDIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 10:20 PM   #4684
SFMCjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHOISDIRK View Post
I've been riding for years and always wanted to get off pavement and into the weeds. I finally got a light adv capable bike (g650 xcountry) and am looking for suggestions on some good trips to cut my teeth on. I've just gotten over the break in period on the dual sport tires I put on the g650 but am wondering where I can start breaking my mind in when it comes to riding the rough stuff. I'm located in san francisco and am looking for suggestions of good weekend adventure rides.

I'm going to try to hit Metcalf or carnegie ohv over the next few weeks but was wondering in anyone can PM me with a suggested weekend trip route or to let me know about some good fire roads in the area. I'm pretty new to this but any advice or suggestions would be a big help. I'd say we should take a ride but I should learn more or you'd spend the whole time waiting for me.
Hey WHOISDIRK,

Congratulations on the BMW, great bikes ...

The closest place for epic fire roads for me from Lower Haight is the Mendocino National Forest, about three hours to Upper Lake where there is a Ranger Station to buy a map, and from there there are hundreds of miles of easy fire roads to explore ...

You can take 101 to Hopland and look for Old Toll Road south of 178 (Hopland Grade) and then make your way to Upper Lake from Lakeport ... or you can go through Napa and find Reiff Road off Knoxville-Berryessa and head to Stonyford ... I just spent three weekends in May up there and am looking forward to whenever I can go again ...I'll post a few pics tomorrow ...

Anyway, maybe some other folks will chime in here about their fav places to ride to dirt roads from San Francisco ...

see you around the campfire,
-- SFMCjohn
IBA#'98onaEX500
Old 06-03-2014, 11:10 AM   #4685
SFMCjohn

Quote:
Noonish at the porch should be about right. However, I'm hoping to be
ahead of the main group by starting early. Shhh ...

Catfish ...

Catfish on his Beta, making the crux to the tippy-top of Mt Hull look easy ...

And proof of a Bay Area Adventure Riders Club meet-up on Mt. Hull on
Saturday, May 31, 2014 ... Gerberville Run/Funduro style ... fun ...
Catfish was the first guy on the "shhh" ride to summit, which allowed me
to get off the mountain and out of the way of the fifty or so
super fast guys behind Catfish ...

I went up here to watch Catfish and the gang roar down
M1 in a cloud of dust ... also fun ...

Did you guys make it up Black Butte? I realized we must be talking about different
places when I was telling you about dead-fall ... there's a Black Butte by
Mendo Pass, but you guys would not have gone down M1 to get to it ...?

--SFMCjohn
IBA#'98onaEX500

SFMCjohn screwed with this post 06-03-2014 at 12:02 PM
Old 06-03-2014, 12:40 PM   #4686
WHOISDIRK
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
The closest place for epic fire roads for me from Lower Haight is the Mendocino National Forest, about three hours to Upper Lake where there is a Ranger Station to buy a map, and from there there are hundreds of miles of easy fire roads to explore ...

Thanks for the tip! I love the landscape up there so I'm really glad to hear there are a lot of trails
WHOISDIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 05:40 PM   #4687
M N B
would rather be riding

Oddometer: 1,122
The Memorial Day ride I did down Highway 1 was nice. Sorry, no pics. I do have quite a bit of video, but haven't had time to put anything together. I'm a former 'semi pro musician, professional sound and video engineer' so I don't just slap stuff together. I try to put together an interesting production, but that is a lot more work than most people realize. It's much easier to post a half dozen pics. Anyways...

I met Tejas and Mike a the Moss Landing Cafe. We topped off in Carmel at the Chevron and headed south. We did Old Coast Road, which was in pretty decent shape. This was the first significant amount of dirt I've done on Heidenau tires on my F800GS and I was running full street pressure, so I took a rather cautious pace (ok, I was crawling) on the downhills. The tires did great, even though I wasn't willing to test them. I'm more willing to push things on the dirt bike. It weighs a lot less and hurts less when it lands on you.

We stopped in Big Sur to pick up sammiches and drinks, hit the restroom and south we went. As usual, we got held up by traffic here and there. It wasn't too bad, I've seen much worse. I got enough spots of twisties in on the pavement to keep me from getting too antsy.

We headed up Los Burros. Again, the tires did great. Road condition was good. I hadn't been up there in about 4 years and while there was silt, there were no silt beds that threatened to swallow your bike whole. South Coast Ridge Rd had clear been bladed, you could see scrapes on the rocks. It was a bit smoother because of that, but there was also a good amount more loose surface material, too. That always makes the twisty downhills a bit more intimidating, but again, the beast handled them all. We finally found a spot to stop in the shade for lunch and kicked back for a bit.

Tejas was rocking his HP Enduro and Mike had a nicely configured KTM 690 enduro that he looked pretty comfortable on. He was polite and rode behind me for a while, but I encouraged him to ride ahead at a comfortable speed after a while. It's hard to get lost if you stay on the main road and I could tell he did some brief exploration of some of the offshoots. I know my TE610 would have been more comfortable out there as well. The F800GS did great, but on the rutted uphills, you could definitely tell I need to have the suspension set up properly. It was doing some unpleasant hopping, but kept traction and got the job done. I need to bit the bullet and get that done. It'll run about $3k including labor (the fork cartridges are like $1600), but it'll be worth it.

Once at the top of Nacimiento-Fegusson where South Coast Ridge Rd ends, we took a break in the shade. I was good to go, but the other guys wanted to cut the ride short. It was a tad on the warm side, so winding down to the much cooler coast wasn't exactly an undesirable option, so ... twist my arm!

The ride back was nice, except for one guy that locked up his pickup's tires right in front of me when someone 6 cars ahead came to a full stop to turn in somewhere. I nearly did a stoppie. A bit later, we stopped in Big Sur again for an ice cream and I picked up an "I survived Hwy 1" bumper sticker. Heh.

I definitely need to get some more fire roads in on that 800. It's what she was made for. It's been years since she's done a water crossing, too. Gotta fix that stat.

In other riding, I finished upgrading my Husqvarna TE310. I installed a 12 hole injector and a new ECU to match along with a Meo Replica exhaust system (Leo Vince X3 and header with resonator). I had to put windows on a virtual machine on my MacBookAir and run iBeat to tweak some things, but I took it out last Sunday to Hollister (which was deserted) and it did pretty well. The new injector/ecu is mapped well. Starts easy, the response is sooooo smooth. It was good to get out and ride.

It's only Tuesday, I have a few days to decide where I'm riding this weekend...
2003 Husqvarna TE610e
1997 BMW K1100LT Special Edition
M N B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 11:22 PM   #4688
catfish
Squidicus Adventurous

Quote:
Catfish on his Beta, making the crux to the tippy-top of Mt Hull look easy ...
And proof of a Bay Area Adventure Riders Club meet-up on Mt. Hull on
Saturday, May 31, 2014 ... Gerberville Run/Funduro style ... fun ...
Catfish was the first guy on the "shhh" ride to summit, which allowed me
to get off the mountain and out of the way of the fifty or so
super fast guys behind Catfish ...
Did you guys make it up Black Butte? I realized we must be talking about different
places when I was telling you about dead-fall ... there's a Black Butte by
Mendo Pass, but you guys would not have gone down M1 to get to it ...?

--SFMCjohn

Thanks for sharing your photos John! Dang you're TALL when you stand on those boulders!

We were only 30 or so riders this year. The dust the crazy-fast guys can create is biblical. If you
don't ride in dust (like me), then you either leave before them, or wait for their dust to settle & then
leave. Saturday's strategy was wait it out at the motel for 20 minutes after they leave, & then go.

On the east side of Cow Mtn, they take their 1st safety break & wait for everyone to get off the mtn.
I arrive without dust, took a few photos, & and left the group waiting for someone who had bike
troubles. Got to Pine Mtn turn off of M1 about 3 minutes before the fast ones arrived for safety break #2.
That was my cue to leave! I managed to stay ahead of the entire pack until my last pee break near
Alderpoint. Only 2 passed me there, but it was all paved after that to Garberville!

Black Butte is also the name of the store/bbq/campground at M1 & FH7. We stopped there for lunch.
The chili-lime chicken was GREAT! Just be prepared for a loooong lunch stop.

I should have taken my camera to dinner in Garberville. Cecil's, a cool "New Orleans Bistro" is on
the 2nd floor above some shops. Their signature dish is "Pecan-Encrusted Catfish"! It was
AWESOME!!!

These 3 young elk were playing chicken with the waves. It was the COOLEST sight! Wish we had gotten video!

I did get video of a local playing next to the beach;

A crazy-FUN weekend!!!

Catfish ...

catfish screwed with this post 06-04-2014 at 11:35 AM
Old 06-04-2014, 11:22 AM   #4689
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer: 4,302
All right, I'm an idiot. Where were you guys!?!?!?
Old 06-04-2014, 01:22 PM   #4690
catfish
Squidicus Adventurous

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtallsally View Post
All right, I'm an idiot. Where were you guys!?!?!?

Usal Beach, off Usal Road. The elk are always there. Its great when its a beautiful, clear day.

Catfish ...
Old 06-04-2014, 01:47 PM   #4691
CA_Rage
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
That's me!

Thanks catfish!!

Thats me on my 950 on the right. I rolled in just before everyone left.
Slow and steady wins the race; NOT!
These guys are fast!
I was slow that day, but it doesn't mean I didn't have fun.

Thanks everyone, it was an awesome ride.

CA_Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 07:38 PM   #4692
SFMCjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by M N B View Post
I try to put together an interesting production, but that is a lot more work than most people realize. It's much easier to post a half dozen pics. Anyways...
Haha ... some of us only post three pics ...

Quote:
Thanks for sharing your photos John! Dang you're TALL when you stand on those boulders!

Black Butte is also the name of the store/bbq/campground at M1 & FH7. We stopped there for lunch.
The chili-lime chicken was GREAT! Just be prepared for a loooong lunch stop.
Yes, I am not tall ... The fact that I had to be standing on a huge rock just so I could stand next to you for our BAARC meet-up photo-op just goes to show how hard it is to get a bike up on the very top of Mt Hull ...

Catfish didn't hesitate on his Beta, or waste time looking for the slightly easier way, he just zipped up the way most folks bump down ... ha.

I'll have to try and stop at the Black Butte restaurant someday ...

No lie about the dust you guys were kicking up, I could see clouds of it hundreds of feet above M1 as you all approached M1/M61 ...

-- SFMCjohn
IBA#'98onaEX500
Old 06-08-2014, 02:54 PM   #4693
ironandtime
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Newbie Looking for (Adv)ice

Howdy All,

I am looking to enter the world of offroad/adventure/dual riding, if only in very begginer baby steps kinda way. I am not quite sure if I want to focus more on dirt/trails or simply 'roads less traveled' yet - I suppose a lot of that will depend on the first dual bike that end up getting. I don't even have the bike yet! Just to get my feet wet, I am looking to pick up something like an old Honda XL250/350 - partly because I really love classic Hondas. I rode Honda dirt bikes as a kid, and have had several vintage Honda street bikes as an adult. The lure of offroad/adventure/dual riding is calling my name, though.

My question for you all is: I am located in San Jose, so what recommendations do folks have for entry level locations withing a reasonable range to cut my teeth on? I'll more than likely get a trailer to haul the bike as well, so driving to a location to then ride is a most likely scenario. I'll also pick up some proper off road riding gear and also likely take a dirt training course as well. If I get hooked on this, then I'll consider stepping up to a bigger/more modern/expensive bike...but for now this is a way for me to try the waters out. I appreciate any advice on locations or other entry newbie thoughts!

Cheers,
Matt

ironandtime screwed with this post 06-08-2014 at 10:02 PM
ironandtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 09:49 PM   #4694
Hesaid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,158
Not quite sure what you'e asking. Are you looking for a place to ride distance on "the road less traveled" or a place to practice in the dirt? If it's the latter, Hollister Hills would seem about ideal for you. If it's the former... Hmmm... Then you might want to try something like this:

MAP

Basically, get to Hollister however you choose, the town, not the riding park, then proceed to "B" to stop and chat with locals. You might grab a sandwich, but local flavor is an important part of adventure riding, and the Panoche Inn is a good place to start. Ask about the BLM and Clear Creek, a route I might suggest if I knew more of your off road skills, and whether or not the BLM is allowing traffic at any given time. Shortly after "B", you'll hit dirt, and then a stream crossing (or maybe not this year...), the dirt is well maintained, and will take you to the 5. I selected "Avoid Highways", which keeps you off of the 5. Not sure if you want to ride superslab or not. Your call.

Coalinga for gas, then on to "D" Parkfield for another meal with local flavor. Along the way there will be more well maintained dirt. Seasonal stream crossings, but those are on the paved sections and usually quite dry. After Parkfield, Vineyard to Indian. I added a stop in San Miguel for gas, but that's up to you and your range. Indian to Peachtree to the 25 and back to Hollister.

A long day, or you could split it into two days. But that's just off the top of my head... What are you thinking?

MV
Old 06-08-2014, 10:05 PM   #4695
ironandtime
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Thanks much for the replay and suggestions! You are right in that I am not super clear on my goal at the moment...part of me wants to try more of the dirt/trail scenario, but I am also open to the 'road less traveled' for longer distances. I imagine a lot of this will be dictated by what bike I end up with - i.e. engine size, tires, etc. The variations in what I am interested in trying is why I am drawn to a dual sport or on/off road type bike, so that I can experience a little bit of both. I'm not crazy about the super slab unless I end up with a larger bike set up to travel longer distances on pavement. Thanks for these ideas...this is very helpful.

ironandtime screwed with this post 06-08-2014 at 10:16 PM
ironandtime is offline   Reply With Quote