ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2014, 10:18 PM   #4696
seanfeezy
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironandtime View Post
Thanks much for the replay and suggestions! You are right in that I am not super clear on my goal at the moment...part of me wants to try more of the dirt/trail scenario, but I am also open to the 'road less traveled' for longer distances. I imagine a lot of this will be dictated by what bike I end up with - i.e. engine size, tires, etc. Both of your suggestions are helpful, and the kind of info I am searching for - thank you!
hey matt! i am new around here too. I just got a DR350 and even though I have not ridden it yet I know that Hollister the perfect place to cut my dirt teeth on one of the smaller bikes. When you get a bike let me know! I am down for some mellow trail riding!
seanfeezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 11:24 PM   #4697
Hesaid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,096
Ok, this is starting to sound like a plan for a noob ride at Hollister Hills. We do the adventure thing, but not so much the dirt bike thing...

But in the meanwhile, here are a couple of posts from our thread regarding some of the roads mentioned above:

Our trip to Hollister and the Panoche road

Going over the Parkfield Grade

And a couple to talk about Clear Creek

Ah heck, just click the link in the signature and read through. We do most of our adventuring in the Sierras, and now we're camping too. We're having a good time, and that's the most important part, right?

MV
Old 06-09-2014, 12:03 AM   #4698
BaileyMan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
New guy to this scene here. Just wanting to pop in and say hey. I'm no gnarly adventurer, but it sounds like fun! Until then, I'm seeing where I land in the ADV world. It seems like Adventure riding can take on many forms, from the big BMWs and KTMs to small dirt bikes and single tracks. I'm somewhere in between.

One of the main reasons I got the Versys is that it's great for what I use it the most for (urban and freeway commuting and day trips) and can do some light adventure touring. I'm finding that I want to get a little deeper into adventure riding. I want to explore some places that are a little more in the middle of nowhere (like the middle of Mendocino National Forrest). The kind of places without cell reception, perhaps not a lot of other traffic, and not much assistance should anything go wrong. The kind of rides that would be good to have at least one other person on. Perhaps the kind of roads that having a different bike would be good for too...but that's another topic.

Anyhow, I'd love to meet some other folks maybe do a weekend trip, get to know others to do more exploring with.

What are the best threads/forums to watch for trips? Maybe I'll post something. I'm thinking a one-nighter up to Lake Pillsbury in Mendocino National Forest. Sort of a scouting trip for me for my trip in July and a nice weekend getaway.
BaileyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 12:28 AM   #4699
seanfeezy
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesaid View Post
Ok, this is starting to sound like a plan for a noob ride at Hollister Hills. We do the adventure thing, but not so much the dirt bike thing...

But in the meanwhile, here are a couple of posts from our thread regarding some of the roads mentioned above:

Our trip to Hollister and the Panoche road

Going over the Parkfield Grade

And a couple to talk about Clear Creek

Ah heck, just click the link in the signature and read through. We do most of our adventuring in the Sierras, and now we're camping too. We're having a good time, and that's the most important part, right?

MV
wow, awesome thread! I am excited to do some bigger more adventurous rides (especially camping) but in the meantime, while I am working on getting my bike + setup dialed, I think it would be a lot of fun to head to Hollister and ride some of the more mellow trails like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvAuE3GPPFo

But yeah, I totally get if that is not your cup of tea.
seanfeezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 01:48 AM   #4700
mramosc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
One more newbie

Well I have been reading and enjoying this thread for months, but have never posted here, but after seing other newbies like me I thought it would be a good time to introduce myself.
I got my very first bike a little less than two years ago, it might sound like a long time for some, but I am taking it very easy in small baby steps.
My bike is a BMW G650GS and dream of taking all the trips in this thread ("the road less travelled" type)
I have gone twice to Clear Creek in Doctor's Wong's adventure classes, and I absolutelly loved it. Now I am completelly hooked and really want to go to other places like this.
Those rides to Clear Creek were only day trips, but I now I really would like to start going for weekend or longer trips and camp somewhere.
I'm still afraid to ask to go on one of the trips on this thread because I don't want to slow anybody down, but if there are some more newbies maybe we can all go together at a slow pace, and if some of the more experieced riders have enough pacience and would like to join us, even better!
mramosc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 08:06 AM   #4701
Hesaid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,096
Ok, well, I think it's pretty obvious now that we're going to need to plan a trip we can all go slowly and carefully on. I think the biggest problem for us with that is that we're so far away from most of you. Also, with summer fully upon us, your part of the state is pretty hot once you get away from the ocean. We have the mountains, and with elevation comes better camping. Hmmmm....

We'll need to start brainstorming...

MV
Old 06-12-2014, 01:17 AM   #4702
mramosc
Gnarly Adventurer

Hesaid,
I'm fine with any place whitin a 4 hour drive from the Bay Area. What places do you suggest?

BaileyMan,
I also have been thinking about going to the Mendocino area, a weekend trip in July would be great.

Seanfeezy,
I'm up for a mellow ride to Hollister.
Old 06-12-2014, 10:40 AM   #4703
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer: 4,256
Can I come and play? Family obligations keep me sketch, but if I'm open, count me in with the little bike ( I STILL need to get the front wheel fixed on the pig :kaboom ) which means I'll probably put the little bike on the hitch carrier and rock somewhere close and go from there...
Old 06-13-2014, 08:35 AM   #4704
Distant thunder
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
I too am new to this thread. I recently graduated from a DL650 to a KTM 1190 R. I am looking forward to exploring the Mendo forest.
Distant thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 03:55 PM   #4705
ADV_Riz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Noob here too, from Napa Rode a wee little 86 Honda Rebel when I got my M1 earlier this year. That was fun for a couple weeks until I decided I needed a real bike...Bought a KLR 650 a couple months ago and have been itching to go on a trip. I'm down for Mendo.
ADV_Riz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 08:53 PM   #4706
Distant thunder
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
heading out Sunday morning for a fathers day ride.. Heading north to explore the area around stoneyford.
Distant thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 06:22 PM   #4707
mramosc
Gnarly Adventurer

Mendocino Noobs Trip

Well it seems we definatelly have enough people interested in a trip to the mendocino area!

Let's start suggesting dates... I'm good with any time in July, so to start with a suggested date, let's say the weekend of July 11th to 13th

Any experienced riders willing to go with us?

I have never been there so I don't really know where exatly to go riding or camping, any suggestions?

Please keep the suggestions comming!
Old 06-15-2014, 09:51 AM   #4708
BaileyMan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by mramosc View Post
Well it seems we definatelly have enough people interested in a trip to the mendocino area!

Let's start suggesting dates... I'm good with any time in July, so to start with a suggested date, let's say the weekend of July 11th to 13th

Any experienced riders willing to go with us?

I have never been there so I don't really know where exatly to go riding or camping, any suggestions?

Please keep the suggestions comming!
I could likely do that weekend. I work Saturday mornings generally and can possibly be ready to leave by 1 in the afternoon, which may a late start, but if I can make it work, I will.

I'm planning to head up to Lake Pillsbury in Mendocino National Forest next weekend (6/21-22). I'll camp at one of the established campgrounds nearby. The roads I'm looking at are either paved or maintained dirt roads. Mostly Elk Mountain Rd, perhaps I'll continue up to Forest Highway 7 on day 2 and then West to Covelo before heading south back towards the Bay Area. Should be about 4 hours saddle time to Lake Pillsbury from SF.
BaileyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 02:59 PM   #4709
ironandtime
n00b

Oddometer: 3
DRZ Rental?

I won't be financially ready to buy my first dual sport bike for another couple of months, but in the mean time I sure would like to try one out. After a lot of advice and reading, I am thinking of starting out with a DRZ 350 or 400 as I'll more likely be on the trails and driving the bike to the riding locations on my truck, and will likely further down the line pick up a larger 650-ish bike for longer adventure rides.

My question for you all: is there anywhere in the Bay Area that I could rent a DRZ400 (or something really similar) to try it out for a day or two on the trails/dirt? This would be idea, especially before I go and buy one. Any ideas or leads would be much appreciated! Cheers
ironandtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 05:45 PM   #4710
1brunoj
bruno

Oddometer: 38
rent

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/4484470838.html
1brunoj is offline   Reply With Quote