ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional Forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2014, 12:17 AM   #4696
mramosc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Hesaid,
I'm fine with any place whitin a 4 hour drive from the Bay Area. What places do you suggest?

BaileyMan,
I also have been thinking about going to the Mendocino area, a weekend trip in July would be great.

Seanfeezy,
I'm up for a mellow ride to Hollister.
mramosc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:40 AM   #4697
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer: 4,513
Can I come and play? Family obligations keep me sketch, but if I'm open, count me in with the little bike ( I STILL need to get the front wheel fixed on the pig :kaboom ) which means I'll probably put the little bike on the hitch carrier and rock somewhere close and go from there...
Old 06-13-2014, 07:35 AM   #4698
Distant thunder
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
I too am new to this thread. I recently graduated from a DL650 to a KTM 1190 R. I am looking forward to exploring the Mendo forest.
Distant thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 02:55 PM   #4699
ADV_Riz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Noob here too, from Napa Rode a wee little 86 Honda Rebel when I got my M1 earlier this year. That was fun for a couple weeks until I decided I needed a real bike...Bought a KLR 650 a couple months ago and have been itching to go on a trip. I'm down for Mendo.
ADV_Riz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 07:53 PM   #4700
Distant thunder
Adventurer

heading out Sunday morning for a fathers day ride.. Heading north to explore the area around stoneyford.
Old 06-14-2014, 05:22 PM   #4701
mramosc
Gnarly Adventurer

Mendocino Noobs Trip

Well it seems we definatelly have enough people interested in a trip to the mendocino area!

Let's start suggesting dates... I'm good with any time in July, so to start with a suggested date, let's say the weekend of July 11th to 13th

Any experienced riders willing to go with us?

I have never been there so I don't really know where exatly to go riding or camping, any suggestions?

Please keep the suggestions comming!
Old 06-15-2014, 08:51 AM   #4702
BaileyMan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by mramosc View Post
Well it seems we definatelly have enough people interested in a trip to the mendocino area!

Let's start suggesting dates... I'm good with any time in July, so to start with a suggested date, let's say the weekend of July 11th to 13th

Any experienced riders willing to go with us?

I have never been there so I don't really know where exatly to go riding or camping, any suggestions?

Please keep the suggestions comming!
I could likely do that weekend. I work Saturday mornings generally and can possibly be ready to leave by 1 in the afternoon, which may a late start, but if I can make it work, I will.

I'm planning to head up to Lake Pillsbury in Mendocino National Forest next weekend (6/21-22). I'll camp at one of the established campgrounds nearby. The roads I'm looking at are either paved or maintained dirt roads. Mostly Elk Mountain Rd, perhaps I'll continue up to Forest Highway 7 on day 2 and then West to Covelo before heading south back towards the Bay Area. Should be about 4 hours saddle time to Lake Pillsbury from SF.
BaileyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 01:59 PM   #4703
ironandtime

Oddometer: n/a
DRZ Rental?

I won't be financially ready to buy my first dual sport bike for another couple of months, but in the mean time I sure would like to try one out. After a lot of advice and reading, I am thinking of starting out with a DRZ 350 or 400 as I'll more likely be on the trails and driving the bike to the riding locations on my truck, and will likely further down the line pick up a larger 650-ish bike for longer adventure rides.

My question for you all: is there anywhere in the Bay Area that I could rent a DRZ400 (or something really similar) to try it out for a day or two on the trails/dirt? This would be idea, especially before I go and buy one. Any ideas or leads would be much appreciated! Cheers
Old 06-15-2014, 04:45 PM   #4704
1brunoj
bruno

Oddometer: 50
rent

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/4484470838.html
1brunoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 07:02 PM   #4705
ADV_Riz
Adventurer

Thumb

The exact dates don't really matter to me. I just need to know a couple weeks ahead of time so I can get the time off work. So I guess what I'm saing is July 11-13 weekend works for me.
Old 06-15-2014, 08:48 PM   #4706
Shesaid
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
I just want to WARN YOU! Hesaid is planning on proposing a trip in the Sierra Nat'l Forest area around Shaver Lake (should be about a "roughly 3ish" hour drive for y'all)--

NOW, he made me read these posts from all the noobs about being noobs and wanting to do a trip. Then he made me watch the video that seanfeezy posted the link to (Totally doable, btw) and I think meeting up with you guys and doing some starter roads sounds great!

But my other half gets mighty excited about planning a trip and by the time it's all over, there's a good chance I won't be the only one who wants to chase him down and cause him pain.... But! A ride over Kaiser Pass sure would be a great starter adventure-- more "road less traveled" than dirt. And plenty of off-the-beaten-path in the area.

Mendocino is a little out of the way for us, so hopefully y'all will come out this way and hang with us in the near future-- now I have to sit down with a bunch of maps and keep him from getting too adventurous for us all!.

[Psst: Mramosc-- PAY NO ATTENTION to Hesaid when he tells you you can't come! You and YOUR BMW are welcome...VERY welcome! ]
Shesaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 09:00 PM   #4707
Distant thunder
Adventurer

I was able to spend fathers day riding around Mendocino Forest. 1st time up there and had a blast. Went down M10 and checked out Bear Creek campground and then back up M1 to M6. My plan was to head to Covelo but turned back at the split. This drove me crazy, but it getting late and the last thing I wanted to do is go deeper and be late for my fathers day bbq. Lots of local wildlife to keep me on my toes. Countless deer, 4 red fox, 3 of which jumped out of a bush 6 feet in front of me and ran screaming down the road. Last was the 2 rattlesnakes crossing the road..
Old 06-15-2014, 09:06 PM   #4708
Distant thunder
Adventurer

Kaiser pass is a great road. was up there a couple of years ago when a buddy of mine and I decided to ride the Sierra Passes. Carson, Ebbitts, Sonora. Then blasted down 395 to ridgecrest and over Walker pass, from there was up to Kaiser pass which cant be past.. Back over to Tioga Monitor, Luther and then home.. Needless to say we got our fill of passes that weekend
Old 06-15-2014, 10:53 PM   #4709
mramosc
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shesaid View Post
I just want to WARN YOU! Hesaid is planning on proposing a trip in the Sierra Nat'l Forest area around Shaver Lake (should be about a "roughly 3ish" hour drive for y'all)--

NOW, he made me read these posts from all the noobs about being noobs and wanting to do a trip. Then he made me watch the video that seanfeezy posted the link to (Totally doable, btw) and I think meeting up with you guys and doing some starter roads sounds great!

But my other half gets mighty excited about planning a trip and by the time it's all over, there's a good chance I won't be the only one who wants to chase him down and cause him pain.... But! A ride over Kaiser Pass sure would be a great starter adventure-- more "road less traveled" than dirt. And plenty of off-the-beaten-path in the area.

Mendocino is a little out of the way for us, so hopefully y'all will come out this way and hang with us in the near future-- now I have to sit down with a bunch of maps and keep him from getting too adventurous for us all!.

[Psst: Mramosc-- PAY NO ATTENTION to Hesaid when he tells you you can't come! You and YOUR BMW are welcome...VERY welcome! ]
If Hesaid is planning to propose a trip for us noobs, that's even better! Sierra sounds good to me too, I just want to go somewhere!
Old 06-15-2014, 11:29 PM   #4710
ADV_Riz
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mramosc View Post
If Hesaid is planning to propose a trip for us noobs, that's even better! Sierra sounds good to me too, I just want to go somewhere!
Ditto!