ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2014, 06:31 PM   #4741
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,127
Agree. I had shinkos on my KLR and now fullbores. Love both of then although I prefer the FB for off road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
y0y02369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 07:07 PM   #4742
Mifune
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 493
Is a noob trip being organized? I'm not completely new to off-road adventures, but very new to the area and would love to join in this if it ends up taking off from somewhere within 3 or 4 hours of the East Bay. I have a KTM 500 exc that is aching for a shakedown and would be bringing it on the back of my truck if anyone coming out by bike needs someone to carry extra gear.

Stuart

Φίλα μου τον κώλο.
Mifune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 09:11 PM   #4743
Hesaid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,168
Ok, it sounds like there is somewhere between 6-12 people interested in a Sierra noob/newb/nube ride. Some folks are interested in riding over, some hauling bikes and then riding. I'm going to try to put together a few ideas and then I'll start a new thread. I'll post a link in this thread when I do. I plan on including a fairly comprehensive poll to get a feel for everyone's ideas. I'm liking this idea, let's make it happen!

MV
Old 06-22-2014, 11:38 PM   #4744
SFMCjohn

Oddometer: 849
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonyfi View Post
Hi all, this is a last minute post but will maybe catch someone interested...

I'm leaving Friday night from the Bay Area CA and headed up to the sierras for a weekend off road adventure...
I'll be camping Friday night off of the 108 out near Relief resvior and then not sure where I'm going to go from there Saturday...

I'm riding my Ktm 950....
Hi jonyfi,

Did you roll through Knight's Ferry this afternoon? We saw acouple of big KTMs wearing KLIM gear ....

If so, we were the couple sitting on the porch of the
ice cream place near our streetbikes ...

see you around the campfire,
-- SFMCjohn
IBA#'98onaEX500
SFMCjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 12:06 AM   #4745
nomad guy
A legal alien

Oddometer: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFMCjohn View Post
Hi jonyfi,

Did you roll through Knight's Ferry this afternoon? We saw acouple of big KTMs wearing KLIM gear ....

-- SFMCjohn
That were Slackmeyer (Zak) and me. Sonora rd. is a fun ride.

04 KTM ADV 950S GO!!!!!
09 KTM 690 ENDURO R
nomad guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 01:34 AM   #4746
SFMCjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad guy View Post
That were Slackmeyer (Zak) and me. Sonora rd. is a fun ride.
Hey nomad guy,

Haha ... you both looked like you were having fun!

Thanks for the reply, Sonora Road is cool ... we veered off towards Orange-blossom, River Road and Cow Hollow having ridden Ebbetts, Monitor and Sonora Passes ... Beautiful day today ...

-- SFMCjohn
IBA#'98onaEX500

SFMCjohn screwed with this post 06-23-2014 at 01:52 AM
Old 06-23-2014, 01:50 AM   #4747
SFMCjohn

Dakar Party ... 6/27, 7-ish ...

Hey BAARCers,

I'm going to re-watch my 2014 Dakar coverage on Friday, 6/27 at 7pm at the club ... been looking for an excuse since talking about it with joefromsf at the Mendo Rally a few weeks ago ...

BAARCers always welcome ... there are pretty strong rumors that we'll be able to root for competitive Team Rally Pan Am racers at the next Dakar, and a return of Riff-Raff, too ... just like the good ol' days!

Some info I posted elsewhere:

"Some of us rally nuts are planning to replay 3.5 hours of coverage of the epic 2014 Dakar on the big screen at the SFMC (18th Street and Folsom) at 7pm on Friday, 6/27 ...

A few members of Team Rally Pan Am are threatening to be there, with rumors of the next iteration of the Riff Raff ... my guess is that we'll get some insider leaks about the team's 2015 plans ... hear about shwag progress ... etc ...

Refreshments will be available ... Get in on the excitement of a Bay Area rally team's effort to make an impact on the 2015 Dakar!"

see you in the bivouac,
-- SFMCjohn
IBA#'98onaEX500
Old 06-23-2014, 06:43 AM   #4748
jmil
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesaid View Post
Ok, it sounds like there is somewhere between 6-12 people interested in a Sierra noob/newb/nube ride. Some folks are interested in riding over, some hauling bikes and then riding. I'm going to try to put together a few ideas and then I'll start a new thread. I'll post a link in this thread when I do. I plan on including a fairly comprehensive poll to get a feel for everyone's ideas. I'm liking this idea, let's make it happen!

MV
jmil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 09:07 AM   #4749
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer: 4,305
Quote:
Hey BAARCers,

I'm going to re-watch my 2014 Dakar coverage on Friday, 6/27 at 7pm at the club ... been looking for an excuse since talking about it with joefromsf at the Mendo Rally a few weeks ago ...

BAARCers always welcome ... there are pretty strong rumors that we'll be able to root for competitive Team Rally Pan Am racers at the next Dakar, and a return of Riff-Raff, too ... just like the good ol' days!

Some info I posted elsewhere:

"Some of us rally nuts are planning to replay 3.5 hours of coverage of the epic 2014 Dakar on the big screen at the SFMC (18th Street and Folsom) at 7pm on Friday, 6/27 ...

A few members of Team Rally Pan Am are threatening to be there, with rumors of the next iteration of the Riff Raff ... my guess is that we'll get some insider leaks about the team's 2015 plans ... hear about shwag progress ... etc ...

Refreshments will be available ... Get in on the excitement of a Bay Area rally team's effort to make an impact on the 2015 Dakar!"

see you in the bivouac,
-- SFMCjohn
Hey John,

Damn I'd like to come, but the light on the KTM is just plain dangerous for actual use and the front wheel for the pig isn't due back for another couple weeks.

I'll catch you next time...

(this is motivating me to do the DC conversion on the KTM so I can put a real light on it)
Old 06-23-2014, 07:06 PM   #4750
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 3,024
Quote:
Hey nomad guy,

Haha ... you both looked like you were having fun!

Thanks for the reply, Sonora Road is cool ... we veered off towards Orange-blossom, River Road and Cow Hollow having ridden Ebbetts, Monitor and Sonora Passes ... Beautiful day today ...

-- SFMCjohn
Nice, we did the same ride, but we were hustling back so we could both have dinner with our kids. . . . beautiful day, had a great ride through ebbetts, hit lots of slow traffic on Sonora (usually it's the opposite), still a beautiful ride.

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 07:08 PM   #4751
SFMCjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtallsally View Post
Hey John,

Damn I'd like to come, but the light on the KTM is just plain dangerous for actual use and the front wheel for the pig isn't due back for another couple weeks.

I'll catch you next time...

(this is motivating me to do the DC conversion on the KTM so I can put a real light on it)
Hey LTS,

Cool, this will be pretty small/low key ... some of my San Francisco based ADV buddies wanted to see the clubhouse during an ADV Rider, or non-SFMC event, so this is an example of that ...

There hopes to be a full-on Team Rally Pan Am fundraiser/good luck party later this season, like we used to have for Jonah Street for so many years ...

Keep us posted about your dates for a LTS ride!

See you soon,
-- SFMCjohn
IBA#'98onaEX500
Old 06-23-2014, 07:50 PM   #4752
SFMCjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackmeyer View Post
Nice, we did the same ride, but we were hustling back so we could both have dinner with our kids. . . . beautiful day, had a great ride through ebbetts, hit lots of slow traffic on Sonora (usually it's the opposite), still a beautiful ride.
Hey slackmeyer,

Lots of bicycles over Monitor Pass, too ... We left Saturday and toured Railtown in Jamestown and Calaveras Big Trees, both of which were fun ... $15 for a tour of the roundhouse and a train ride ...

-- SFMCjohn
IBA#'98onaEX500
Old 06-23-2014, 08:58 PM   #4753
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer: 4,305
Quote:
Hey slackmeyer,

Lots of bicycles over Monitor Pass, too ... We left Saturday and toured Railtown in Jamestown and Calaveras Big Trees, both of which were fun ... $15 for a tour of the roundhouse and a train ride ...

-- SFMCjohn
I kinda try to avoid Monitor these days with all the knucklehead cyclists. Now before I upset anyone, its the way some of these clowns ride; taking up the entire lane of a single lane road, blowing turns a la a squid on Hwy 9, and generally just getting in the way and not sharing the road as we've been instructed to do.

I'm surprised there was traffic on Sonora- in all the years I've been riding that one, I rarely run into any appreciable traffic up in the fun part (or not that I've stayed behind long enough to care).
Old 06-23-2014, 09:17 PM   #4754
OneTireFryer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Bluhduh Good Mechanic?

New to the area (Petaluma/Santa Rosa), can anyone suggest a good BMW mechanic in the North Bay? The wife’s funduro is making some not so nice sounds in the tranny… and it’s the only bike we have out here….
Thanks for the suggestions!
OneTireFryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 10:25 PM   #4755
jonyfi
21st century adventurer

Oddometer: 410
Quote:
Hi jonyfi,

If so, we were the couple sitting on the porch of the
ice cream place near our streetbikes ...

see you around the campfire,
-- SFMCjohn
Hey John, as you knowIt wasn't I

I did make it up to the sierras though. Left Friday evening, camped by relief reservoir, woke up to a flat rear tyre , after getting that all situated made my way to leavitt lake and then over to the east side and camped off of Benton road, then Sunday stopped at I think it Buckeye spring (?) , and then back over Sonora... great adventure
jonyfi is offline   Reply With Quote