ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2014, 06:46 PM   #4771
jonyfi
21st century adventurer

Oddometer: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFMCjohn View Post
Hey jonyfi,

Cool, hope to see you tonight!
Looks lime myself and inmate xdbx will be there!
See you around 715 to 730....
jonyfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 12:13 AM   #4772
SFMCjohn

Oddometer: 826
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonyfi View Post
Looks lime myself and inmate xdbx will be there!
See you around 715 to 730....
Hey jonyfi,

Super nice to meet you and xdbx tonight ... think I got a pic of you ...?

Planning our next trip ... jonyfi, Bicycle Phil, joefromsf, Sherry and DaveRMS and puddles ...

Thanks to everyone who came down tonight!
-- SFMCjohn
IBA#'98onaEX500
SFMCjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 08:17 AM   #4773
skag
ResistsEnlightenment

Oddometer: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by longtallsally View Post
I actually have a route I've planned for Wheeler Peak and Mt Patterson I think. I was told I can't get up there on the big bike, but would like to try on the little bike. Don't think I can do it this weekend, but what about next?
Hey Sal...Yeah a smaller bike (other than a big twin) would work. Through an odd turn of events I may have some time this week, I'll probably truck my 450 and stage at Pickle Meadow at the bottom of the pass rd. Leavitt lake and maybe over to Patterson, I'd prefer to have company on Mt. Pat.
Next week end , the 4th , doesn't work for me, the Skaggette has other plans. The next weekend works fine.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...9#post13881579

Heres some pics from '10. It was so cold up there my camera stopped working.
skag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 12:31 PM   #4774
jonyfi
21st century adventurer

Oddometer: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFMCjohn View Post
Hey jonyfi,

Super nice to meet you and xdbx tonight ... think I got a pic of you ...?

Planning our next trip ... jonyfi, Bicycle Phil, joefromsf, Sherry and DaveRMS and puddles ...

Thanks to everyone who came down tonight!
-- SFMCjohn
Hey SFMCjohn, yes it was nice to finally meet you in person. I enjoyed the hospitality of the SFMC on social Thursday... It was surprising and great to see some familiar faces ( Bicycle Phil, DaveRMS), enjoy some drink/food, and watch Dakar footage while talking pig about adventures!
Good night out!
See you around and safe but hella fun riding on your upcoming trip!
jonyfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 09:15 PM   #4775
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer: 4,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by skag View Post
Hey Sal...Yeah a smaller bike (other than a big twin) would work. Through an odd turn of events I may have some time this week, I'll probably truck my 450 and stage at Pickle Meadow at the bottom of the pass rd. Leavitt lake and maybe over to Patterson, I'd prefer to have company on Mt. Pat.
Next week end , the 4th , doesn't work for me, the Skaggette has other plans. The next weekend works fine.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...9#post13881579

Heres some pics from '10. It was so cold up there my camera stopped working.
I'm diggin' it. Little bike would be perfect- I just need to put the dirt wheels back on. I've just got tracks, so if you know the area well, I'm all for letting you lead. Just let me know and let's plan on it for a night or so.
Old 06-29-2014, 11:27 AM   #4776
skag
ResistsEnlightenment

Im planning on trucking over Sonora Pass tomorrow morning with my 450 and fishing pole. Plan on staging at Pickle meadow for some local trails and fishing the W. Walker in the afternoon. Planning on Leavitt Lake and maybe on to the Marine base on the North side and see if I can find the chairlift. May venture over to Mt Pat. If anyone can join in give me a shout, I'll be driving a grey Silverado with my 450 on the hitch. I know its short notice and Im always up for a better organized return trip later.
Old 07-01-2014, 10:16 AM   #4777
Lonestar2112
scatology expert

Oddometer: 6,518
Looking for some route assistance

DSM8 and I are doing an asphalt run starting on 7/18. We will be coming up the 395 and camping north of Yosemite and south of Lake Tahoe. We are looking at running twisties in that are on the 19th and then shoot across the valley and spend the night in the Half Moon Bay area and then Rt 1 down the coast and home. I figure it will be high mileagae days so right now just looking for good asphalt rides.

And the biggest question, how do I get across the valley and not go insane! Yes I know that I am going to have to slog through SJ, I don't see a way around that. I was sort of thinking of going to the south a bit and hook up with Rt 17 then onto Skyline and stop at Alice's for dinner

Looking for some ideas. We are open to suggestions.

Wypierdalaj ty chuju jebany
F*CK CANCER
Lonestar2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 12:01 PM   #4778
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

108 for twisties and camping. That is all.

For the run to the coast, find Mt Hamilton and Mines Road or Del Valle Rd (Frank Reines dirt park is off there) and go up and over to San Jose. From there- do a quick slab run over to Los Gatos and you'll have a number of choices up and down the peninsula to get up and over: Black Road, Pagemill, 9, 84, 92 (wouldn't do that one), and even Tunitas. Too many options once to you get east of 280.
Old 07-01-2014, 12:04 PM   #4779
mtnmac
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar2112 View Post
DSM8 and I are doing an asphalt run starting on 7/18. We will be coming up the 395 and camping north of Yosemite and south of Lake Tahoe. We are looking at running twisties in that are on the 19th and then shoot across the valley and spend the night in the Half Moon Bay area and then Rt 1 down the coast and home. I figure it will be high mileagae days so right now just looking for good asphalt rides.

And the biggest question, how do I get across the valley and not go insane! Yes I know that I am going to have to slog through SJ, I don't see a way around that. I was sort of thinking of going to the south a bit and hook up with Rt 17 then onto Skyline and stop at Alice's for dinner

Looking for some ideas. We are open to suggestions.
108 or 4 back to the Modesto area. Back roads to Patterson, then Del Puerto Canyon Rd to Hwy. 130. 130 over Mt. Hamilton to SJ.

If you want to avoid SJ altogether...
120 Through Yosemite, then 140 to 130, 152 over Hecker Pass, then Hwy 1 up the coast to HMB. Alternate routes through the Santa Cruz mountains if you want to stop at Alice's. 9, 35 etc.

Have fun
mtnmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 12:46 PM   #4780
skag
ResistsEnlightenment

For maximum twisties ,89, 4 and 108 are all good options for getting over the hill. If you take 4 be careful, there is a narrow section between 89 and Bear Valley, all it takes is some asshole towing a boat and taking up the whole road to punt you into a ditch (I avoid it myself). Once over the hill take 49 south, after the Little Tail and before Mariposa take J16 down to 140 into Merced. Find some backroads up to Patterson and take Del Puerto Canyon Rd up to the T intersection. From there you can go left over Mt. Hamilton and suffer San Jose or right into Livermore and suffer 580 to 880 to 92 which will deposit you into Half Moon Bay. Alices via Skyline is at the top of the hill.
Old 07-01-2014, 01:38 PM   #4781
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,105
So i'm going up to Tahoe for the 4th of July from SJ. I was thinking of doing highway 4 then to 395 and 89. Has anyone done 4 before? Is it nice? It's an extra 20 miles difference from taking 50 but it's an extra hour and 45 minutes... anyone know why? Speed limit maybe?
y0y02369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 08:31 PM   #4783
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 6,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by skag View Post
For maximum twisties ,89, 4 and 108 are all good options for getting over the hill. If you take 4 be careful, there is a narrow section between 89 and Bear Valley, all it takes is some asshole towing a boat and taking up the whole road to punt you into a ditch (I avoid it myself).
Don't avoid 4, just do it on weekdays, preferable early before the trailer campers get on the road.

Although, I think I shot this on an early Friday afternoon...

marchyman screwed with this post 07-01-2014 at 10:40 PM Reason: grammar
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 10:27 PM   #4784
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

I'd say you nailed it pretty good. Looks like a fun route. I'll about 10 minutes from where you'll be passing by going over Hamilton- let me know what day and maybe I'll hit it with you out to the coast.
Old 07-02-2014, 06:01 AM   #4785
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by y0y02369 View Post
So i'm going up to Tahoe for the 4th of July from SJ. I was thinking of doing highway 4 then to 395 and 89. Has anyone done 4 before? Is it nice? It's an extra 20 miles difference from taking 50 but it's an extra hour and 45 minutes... anyone know why? Speed limit maybe?
Could be, although I didn't know H50 was a fast highway. Could also be a database error; to check it take the total miles for each route and divide be 55/65 (H4/H50).

H4 is worth the time, but particularly on the east side of the pass.

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote