ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2014, 08:16 AM   #4786
Lonestar2112
scatology expert

Oddometer: 6,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by longtallsally View Post
I'd say you nailed it pretty good. Looks like a fun route. I'll about 10 minutes from where you'll be passing by going over Hamilton- let me know what day and maybe I'll hit it with you out to the coast.

We are doing this ride beginning on 7/18. Friday night we are stopping in Sonora, Saturday we will be doing all the passes. Saturday evening 1700+ at Alice's. Sunday Rt 1 south back home.

Wypierdalaj ty chuju jebany
F*CK CANCER

Lonestar2112 screwed with this post 07-02-2014 at 10:16 AM
Lonestar2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 09:44 AM   #4787
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer: 4,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar2112 View Post
Friday night we are stopping in Sonora, Saturday we will be doing all the passes. Saturday evening 1700+ at Alice's. Sunday Rt 1 south back home.
You'll need a pretty early start I think from Sonora. I can meet you at The Junction, which is the intersection of 130 (Del Puerto Canyon) and Mines Rd (that goes to Livermore), and where 130 turns into San Antonio Valley Rd. It's a cool little dive that only recently started taking credit cards and actually has a scoshe of cell reception depending on carriers.

It will take you ~3 hours depending on your pace to get from Sonora to The Junction. To get up and over Hamilton is another hour+ (and you'll want to stop at Lick Observatory to look around for a bit) and then to get to Alice's from there on your current route is another 1.5 hours or so.

I'll see if I can roll that far with you guys as those are some favorite roads of mine, but I'll have to turn back at Alice's as the headlight on the KTM is useless.
Old 07-02-2014, 01:29 PM   #4788
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle View Post
Could be, although I didn't know H50 was a fast highway. Could also be a database error; to check it take the total miles for each route and divide be 55/65 (H4/H50).

H4 is worth the time, but particularly on the east side of the pass.
[QUOTE=marchyman;24523360]Don't avoid 4, just do it on weekdays, preferable early before the trailer campers get on the road.

Although, I think I shot this on an early Friday afternoon...

Thanks! Video looks fantastic! I am definitely planning on it then. We plan to leave fairly early thursday for Tahoe so hopefully we will avoid the majority of traffic.
y0y02369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 02:20 PM   #4789
Pointman0853
Unregistered Gun Owner

Oddometer: 1,385
This Sunday...

Track gathering (small bike) ride to Mt. Patterson.

Leaves from Rhuenstroth (S. Gardnerville) @ 09:00..

Bring your thumper and your dirt skills. This is not a beginners ride..

Doable on a 950 with superior skills and big cojones..

Saturday nite camping available..

PM me for details...

Pointman
IBA #5
CarsonTahoeAdventureMoto.com
Pointman0853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 07:52 PM   #4790
Hesaid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,038
And just a quick update, the Central Sierra Noob ride is a go. The plan is for Aug 23-24, though some will be headed up and camping Friday the 22nd. There's a sign up list growing, check pg 1 of the thread. If anyone is interested, post in the THREAD or PM me. Seems like in addition to Noobs, there might be some people not falling over as well.

MV
Old 07-02-2014, 07:57 PM   #4791
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer: 4,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointman0853 View Post
Track gathering (small bike) ride to Mt. Patterson.

Leaves from Rhuenstroth (S. Gardnerville) @ 09:00..

Bring your thumper and your dirt skills. This is not a beginners ride..

Doable on a 950 with superior skills and big cojones..

Saturday nite camping available..

PM me for details...

Pointman
I might be down for this action. I'll send you a PM.
Old 07-03-2014, 11:17 PM   #4792
vagabondmatt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Noob Ready for Intro on Local Dirt/Trails

I was looking hard at buying a modern dual sport when this showed up on my radar. One thing led to another, and now this '79 XL250S sits in my garage with the title in my name :ride

But the more I go over the bike with a fine toothed comb, and the more I read about it and talk to others, I've come to the conclusion that this bike needs to be babied and kept in neat and clean condition. In fact, I think it is only a few steps away from being show-worthy. I'll continue some restoration on it, and putter around town on surface streets, but I've decided not to take it offroad. Now I am looking for a modern dual sport to go with it, something I can take offroad and not get depressed if I drop it! Now for some pics...

vagabondmatt screwed with this post 07-08-2014 at 08:10 AM
vagabondmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 11:45 PM   #4793
Hesaid
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagabondmatt View Post
Hi All,

I just scored this vintage Honda XL250S dual sport off of Craigslist today...

It's in awesome condition with a TON of new parts. I'm looking to enter into off road/dual sporting at least locally to get my feet wet. I rode dirt bikes a little as a kid long ago, and have had several vintage road bikes since - but I am approaching this as a noob as I am now in my mid-40s because I want to learn and do it right. I'm planning on taking the next intro to dirt MSF class at Hollister, and I am hoping to maybe hit some local trails or dirt sometime soon. Any advice for a noob trying this out in the Bay Area for the first time will be much appreciated, and I'm also open to riding with others who are willing to take it a little slow with a noob the first time out. Cheers
Well, welcome to the party. A few pages back we were discussing the idea of a Noob Ride, and the idea took off. So while it's not exactly local, if you can make it, we'd love to have you on our Noob Ride. A few others are trucking in, so feel free to do the same. I know I'd like to check out your new bike.

MV
Old 07-04-2014, 07:07 AM   #4794
vagabondmatt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Thanks Hesaid! I appreciate the welcome. Not sure how my end of August is going to work just yet...although family will likely be visiting from out town around that time. But I will follow the noob trip thread to see how things develop. If I can't join in on this trip, I look forward to joining in on another and meeting up with you folks! Cheers
Old 07-04-2014, 07:14 PM   #4795
eelriver
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by vagabondmatt View Post
Hi All,

I just scored this vintage Honda XL250S dual sport off of Craigslist today...
That was my first bike!. I bought one brand new in 1978 and kept it till around 1986 when I gave it to a friend of mine. Loved that bike. You should have a lot of fun on it.
eelriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 11:00 AM   #4796
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,474
I had a similar vintage 125 as my third bike, also loved it!
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 02:47 AM   #4797
SFMCjohn

Oddometer: 832
Sweetwater Mtns, Lake Leavitt, Mt Patterson, 7/4/14 ...

Hey BAARCers,

Managed to hit Sonora Pass and the Sweetwater Mountains over Independence Day ...
Hwy 108 is pretty much a bee-line due east of Lower Haight ...
offering some of the quickest access to epic riding that does not involve slogging up I-80 ...

Useless map: Risue Road runs across the top, Lake Lobdell is just off the bottom,
and Desert Creek is the dominant canyon, to the south of Jackass Creek ...

We did miles of beautiful single track along Desert Creek
between Lake Lobdell and Risue Road ...

Desert Creek single track ...

We did a zillion non-trivial water crossings ...
The Desert Creek single track is easy, but I was pressed pretty hard on the KLR ...
I managed to smash my radiator fan towards the Risue Road end,
so I missed the Mt Patterson leg that my pals did on July 4th ...

We found the Marine's ski lift on the north side of Hwy 108 ...

The water crossing at Lake Leavitt ...

Exploring some of the dirt to the left (north) of Hwy 108 after Sonora Pass ...
this dirt nap leads to the Marine Base ...

Topo map of Lobdell Lake approach to Mt Patterson ... 11,673 feet ... my friends went
up and over and down via Belfort while I limped home with my overheating KLR ...

Loaded-for-camping bikes on top of Mt Patterson on 7/4/14 ...

Here is a big map showing the rough route from San Francisco ...
Google says 196 miles and 3 hours 36 minutes from Lower Haight
to Sonora Pass ...

Up above Lake Leavitt ...

My friend Ryan posted a bunch of good Mt Patterson and
Walker River hot springs pics here:
http://hyryz.wordpress.com/2014/07/0...ide-july-2014/

see you around the campfire,
-- SFMCjohn
IBA#'98onaEX500

SFMCjohn screwed with this post 07-09-2014 at 10:51 PM
SFMCjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 04:39 PM   #4798
r3r3r
Wildebeast

Oddometer: 539
Hey Bob, I modified your route a bit to suggest some optional fun and scenic detours on the ride down the coast.

For the modified Google map try this link: http://goo.gl/maps/I9TiY

All are paved, except for Coast Road in Big Sur area which is graded dirt (easy)

Here they are (in order from north to south)

- Stage Road (from Hwy 84 to Pescadero - can actually connect a mile or so north of Hwy 84)
- Cloverdale Road (from Pescadero Road to Gazos Creek Road)
- Gazos Creek Road (from Cloverdale Road back to Hwy 1)
- Coast Road (from Bixby Creek bridge to Andrew Molera State Park)
- Santa Rosa Creek Road (from Cambria to Hwy 46)
- Old Creek Road (from Hwy 46 at Santa Rosa Creek back to Hwy 1)
- Los Osos Valley Road (Instead of Hwy 1 into SLO)
- Prefumo Canyon to See Canyon (easy to miss right turn before Hwy 101 heading into SLO. This is the biggest detour in terms of time and twisties but well worth it in terms of views, ride, etc.)
- Hwy 135 (from Orcutt, south of Santa Maria to Los Alamos)
- Drum Canyon Road (from Los Alamos to Hwy 246 - which connects back to Hwy 154 into SB)

Just a few suggestions, take any that may interest you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar2112 View Post
Thanks for the input. Here is our tentative route. I will be on a red GS, I am hard to miss. Think LTS with 50+ lbs . Dave is on a multicolored GS. Both of them '07s

Alices for Saturday night dinner!

https://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=camarillo,+ca&daddr=bishop,+ca+to:sonora,+CA+to:arnold,+ca+to:CA-89+N+to:pine+grove,+ca+to:CA-49+S+to:CA-49+S+to:CA-130+W+to:CA-35+to:37.327854,-122.360916+to:Half+Moon+Bay,+CA+to:CA-1+S+to:CA-1+S+to:Camarillo,+CA&geocode=FcoZCgIdXqHn-Cm7lESPEDbogDHnbGWKD0FZbg%3BFRAXOgIdUF3x-CkHZKaeARa-gDEWiemVTR7NEw%3BFeaSQwIdJB3T-Cn5C-IL0MWQgDF3RyV29gfYFg%3BFXG7RwIdyZbT-Clvt531NqWQgDGwde2aqf60Wg%3BFVC9TgIddBzc-A%3BFSgkSgIdRePO-CknmSv8A3GagDHY2OLk354vtg%3BFbu1QwId6qnR-A%3BFWpbQAIdMvbU-A%3BFbWvOQId7WrC-A%3BFcUgOAIdeeu4-A%3B%3BFQCmOwIdVuOz-CkLyxkKpQuPgDFUm-c1yJz9Xg%3BFV3_MwIdmyK5-A%3BFWsLKQId1ca9-A%3BFcoZCgIdXqHn-Cm7lESPEDbogDHnbGWKD0FZbg&abauth=53b2f130vwa1W4Y4vJYM_p-X3Vh4yxpuc_4&vps=3&jsv=485b&sll=37.37234,-122.270966&sspn=0.251832,0.484772&vpsrc=6&authuser=0&hl=en&mra=dpe&mrsp=10&sz=12&via=4,6,7,8,9,10,12,13&num=10

r3r3r screwed with this post 07-09-2014 at 01:12 PM Reason: updated map link
r3r3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 06:13 PM   #4799
Hesaid
Beastly Adventurer

Hey Bay Area folk, I have a question for you. I hear there is a really good place to shop for gear in San Jose. Supposed to be fairly large and have a good selection. I'll be finding myself up Gilroy way with time to kill this weekend, should I go shopping? Where/what is this mythical gear store? What might I find?

MV
Old 07-10-2014, 06:18 PM   #4800
maxinux
KiLR

Oddometer: 39
Cycle Gear has a store in gilroy, helimot has a store in Fremont, Adv Design is in Union city and has a good collection of bmw accessories and klim gear..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesaid View Post
Hey Bay Area folk, I have a question for you. I hear there is a really good place to shop for gear in San Jose. Supposed to be fairly large and have a good selection. I'll be finding myself up Gilroy way with time to kill this weekend, should I go shopping? Where/what is this mythical gear store? What might I find?

MV
maxinux is offline   Reply With Quote