ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2014, 07:32 PM   #4801
joefromsf
Dark Happens

Oddometer: 1,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesaid View Post
Hey Bay Area folk, I have a question for you. I hear there is a really good place to shop for gear in San Jose. Supposed to be fairly large and have a good selection. I'll be finding myself up Gilroy way with time to kill this weekend, should I go shopping? Where/what is this mythical gear store? What might I find?

MV
Probably talking about Road Rider on Monterey Rd. http://roadridermca.com/
joefromsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 07:35 PM   #4802
maxinux
KiLR

Oddometer: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromsf View Post
Probably talking about Road Rider on Monterey Rd. http://roadridermca.com/
Dur, but they have far more harley things than adv, but they do stock MotoZ tires - strongly recommended!
maxinux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 09:33 PM   #4803
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer: 4,302
I've always had good experiences with Road Rider over the years and they do carry a decent bit of ADV gear. Scuderia West in the City does as well.
Old 07-11-2014, 01:25 AM   #4804
GoSpeed
'getting there

Oddometer: 57
How about Zoom Cycle? They cater much more to the off road crowd than Cycle Gear and Road Rider.
Old 07-11-2014, 05:27 AM   #4805
max2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
Maybe this place, https://shop.helimot.com/shopping/default.asp
2007 KTM Super Enduro - Sold - HUGE Mistake letting it go
2006 KTM Adventure S - Sold / 2007 KTM 950 Supermoto - Sold
max2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 10:17 AM   #4806
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,126
i'd add adventure designs in Hayward. They sell quality adventure riding stuff:tents, bags, wolf man, Klim, fog lights, heated gear, pumps... etc. For my motorcycle gear, i've been going to Cycle Gear in SJ. My pants and jacket are both Klim so no need for that. But i got my boots and gloves from them. Prices aren't too bad. But will lean towards adventure designs for my next set of good winter gloves.
y0y02369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 10:42 AM   #4807
live2ridetahoe
RN

Oddometer: 1,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by y0y02369 View Post
i'd add adventure designs in Hayward. They sell quality adventure riding stuff:tents, bags, wolf man, Klim, fog lights, heated gear, pumps... etc. For my motorcycle gear, i've been going to Cycle Gear in SJ. My pants and jacket are both Klim so no need for that. But i got my boots and gloves from them. Prices aren't too bad. But will lean towards adventure designs for my next set of good winter gloves.
I really like the brothers that own Adventure Design. Good guys imho. I bought my Klim Badlands suit from them. They don't charge tax on the Klim gear.

If you are looking for winter gloves, check out the Klim Element glove. I have the short version. I have even used them the past two winters snowboarding. Good glove.

JG
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 10:45 AM   #4808
live2ridetahoe
RN

Hi all....

I am heading to Mongolia soon and just picked up a Garmin 78sc. This is my first GPS. I got a file from Walter Colebatch with his POIs, waypoints, etc. in Mongolia. Would anyone be willing to meet up and give me a quick tutorial on how to use it and how to load files, maps, etc?

My trip is coming up really soon. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Jeff G.
Old 07-11-2014, 11:06 AM   #4809
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by live2ridetahoe View Post
I really like the brothers that own Adventure Design. Good guys imho. I bought my Klim Badlands suit from them. They don't charge tax on the Klim gear.

If you are looking for winter gloves, check out the Klim Element glove. I have the short version. I have even used them the past two winters snowboarding. Good glove.

JG
Yep! Couldn't agree more. Really nice guys and really helpful too!

I actually was looking at the element gloves... why short though? Have you ridden in the rain with them? If so, how'd they hold up?
y0y02369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 12:02 PM   #4810
live2ridetahoe
RN

Quote:
Originally Posted by y0y02369 View Post
Yep! Couldn't agree more. Really nice guys and really helpful too!

I actually was looking at the element gloves... why short though? Have you ridden in the rain with them? If so, how'd they hold up?
I just like short gloves. I put them under my jacket cuffs. Not a ton of rain, but lots of snow days. They are GoreTex and have broken in nicely.

JG
Old 07-11-2014, 06:27 PM   #4811
M N B
would rather be riding

Oddometer: 1,122
Quote:

Yeah, they're nice guys. They have events at their shop every so often.

I used to like Klim gear. But since they released the $1300 ADV Rally jacket, their prices on everything have gone WAY up. $130 dirt pants are now $190-210. The Badlands and ADV jacket feel like I'm wearing three jackets over each other. Bulky and restrictive would be a major understatement.

Still I search for the mythical 4 season gear. Because when you're going ADV, you don't have room to pack extra gear. You don't have room for much more than camping gear and some basic tools, food, spare gloves, etc.
2003 Husqvarna TE610e
1997 BMW K1100LT Special Edition
M N B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 11:47 PM   #4812
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,513
Thumb

Quote:
Hi all....

I am heading to Mongolia soon

Quick Mongolian language lesson:

Tzaaa - yes
Ugui - no
Bayertaa - thank you (lit: with happiness)
Bayertala - goodbye (get a speaker to give you pronunciation help, it's about impossible to Romanize)
Joyo - bathroom
Ger - home/circular tent
Shar Peev - lager beer (lit. yellow beer)
Har Peev - dark beer
Ulaan -- red
Ulaan Baatar -- Red Hero (the name of the capital city)
Chiggaray - straight (direction)
Zun gar tish - turn left (gar is hand, lit. make left hand turn)
Barun gar tish - turn right
Tishay -- this way (with pointing a direction) or that one when making a selection.
Tugrug - the denomination of Mongolian currency
Khun - person (asiprated kh, almost like hoon)
Harkhoon - special/beloved person
Minii -- my/mine
Tahnii -- yours
Tend -- theirs
Nahoy - dog
Gulik - puppy
Chingis -- the proper Romanization of Genghis Khan, pronounced ching gis -- you'll earn points saying it properly.

When you enter someone's home (a tent is a home), you will be offered a drink. It's symbolic of hospitality. Always receive the bowl with both hand, and take a sip: it's probably got vodka in it, but it might also be tea, or Kumis, a fermented milk beer-ish drink. It's impolite to refuse it, but you also don't have to drink all of it.

When you arrive at someone's home, but before you enter, you can announce yourself by saying "Nahoy Horroroy" -- literally, "hold the dogs". You'll get smiles with that one. Don't use it more than once, though.

Mongols don't haggle. The price is the price. There will be a locals price and a Westerner price. Get used to it and don't bitch too much about it... the average Mongolian wage when we lived there 12 years ago was about $7 per day.

It's not a bad idea to bring small gifts. It used to be expected to bring liquor and cigarettes, but a) they're hard to carry on a bike, b) they're a public health problem. Candy is probably good. Matches or lighters are always appreciated away from the cities.

Many Mongols speak a second language. Older (50 +) might speak Russian. Younger (20 or less) there's a good chance they will speak English, and possibly Chinese or Korean. Because they're neighbors, they don't especially like China, but recognize they have a huge amount of economic power. Korea is a major economic partner.

Have fun! It's a wonderful, wonderful place.
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 10:23 AM   #4813
live2ridetahoe
RN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadracer_Al View Post
Bayertaa - thank you (lit: with happiness)
Bayertala - goodbye (get a speaker to give you pronunciation help, it's about impossible to Romanize)

I have a program on my iPhone that has Mongolian on it. I have listened to both of those words dozens of times, yet I'm still having trouble with the pronunciation! It is a tough language to speak. Don't even get me started with reading it!!

Thanks for the great advice. I'm bringing candy and stickers for the kids(packs easy) and some lighters(will buy there) and batteries for the adults.

Cheers,

Tahoe
Old 07-12-2014, 01:19 PM   #4814
CA_Rage
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by M N B View Post
Yeah, they're nice guys. They have events at their shop every so often.

I used to like Klim gear. But since they released the $1300 ADV Rally jacket, their prices on everything have gone WAY up. $130 dirt pants are now $190-210. The Badlands and ADV jacket feel like I'm wearing three jackets over each other. Bulky and restrictive would be a major understatement.

Still I search for the mythical 4 season gear. Because when you're going ADV, you don't have room to pack extra gear. You don't have room for much more than camping gear and some basic tools, food, spare gloves, etc.
I bought the Latitude Jacket and the Overland Pants (from Adventure Design).
I find these are a good balance between my year round commute and the times I get out in the dirt or twisties.
I was tired of packing so much stuff. I can throw a light warm layer under either and be fine for 80% of my ride. It's only the days it gets down to around 25 or lower I start to think about electrics.
You just can't beat Gore-Tex.
Expensive for sure, but worth the money in my opinion.
CA_Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 01:48 PM   #4815
M N B
would rather be riding

Oddometer: 1,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA_Rage View Post
I bought the Latitude Jacket and the Overland Pants (from Adventure Design).
I find these are a good balance between my year round commute and the times I get out in the dirt or twisties.
I was tired of packing so much stuff. I can throw a light warm layer under either and be fine for 80% of my ride. It's only the days it gets down to around 25 or lower I start to think about electrics.
You just can't beat Gore-Tex.
Expensive for sure, but worth the money in my opinion.

There is no description of the features of the Latitude and hasn't been for months. It just says it's an updated Misano. Apparently KLIM doesn't care to sell that jacket or the matching pants.
2003 Husqvarna TE610e
1997 BMW K1100LT Special Edition
M N B is offline   Reply With Quote