ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2010, 06:44 PM   #481
scottmac
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,487
We had a blast yesterday down in Clear Creek. Nine of us all together
did the loop down through all the newly reopened County roads and then
camped last night at Mercey Hot Springs, along with SFMC john and
Cary who did a loop and met us at Mercey.

Back to Hollister for a good breakfast this morning and then on to the CCMA Protest Rally.

Thanks to Todd and Woodschick for organizing this one!!!

Hopefully the mud pics will follow soon!!!

scottmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 09:39 PM   #482
Just Paul
Pro Cat Herder

Oddometer: 2,089
great pics... lets see some more..

I know Todd took a few !

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
Just Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 09:58 PM   #483
Super Suz
N00b with B00b

Oddometer: 1,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodsChick
I've got a 705 on the rear of my SM610 right now, and unless the tire fairy puts something else under my pillow between now and Friday, well, that's the tire I'll be riding through Clear Creek. I don't want to burn up my new 17" Cheng Shin knobbies on the pavement I'll be fine if it's dry. If it's wet, y'all can sit back and enjoy the show I've ridden my SV650 through Clear Creek on sticky street rubber, but it was summer and the dirt felt alot like pavement, so...

WoodsChick

How was it with your tires? OK?

Looking forward to a road report and more pics.

Suz
Member of the Oakland Motorcycle Club. In town? Come visit us on a Weds night. We love show and tells! Want to speak about your trip or motorcycle topics in the Bay Area of Northern California? We have a club hall. IM me. If you give us enough notice and if we like your topic, you can come and speak. We have room for others to come and listen too.
Super Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 08:26 AM   #484
T O Double D OP
Pogue Mahone

Oddometer: 930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Paul
I know Todd took a few !
Not as many as I would've liked. I had to use a crappy camera, so it was hard for me to get into my usual photg mode. Here's what I did get though...

Met up Saturday morning with serveral SBR people. Scott (WR250), Doug (XR650), Chris (DR650), and Tony (Husky 610). Yep, even dual sporters go to StarBucks.

We rode some street...

And some dirt...

Till we got to Pinoche Inn...

Then it was more pavement to Mercy Hot Springs...

Were we met up with Tami (WoodsChick) and her husband Eric. We also got the added treat of seeing Chris's boobs!

Mercy was a cool place. I think there will be future rides out there...

Then it was off to Apex Molester's gathering just below the Ghost Town of New Idria...

And a loop through the now legal county roads in Clear Creek. If you go out there be sure to stay on the legaly open roads and It can be confusing.

Chris in the mud..

Scott

Jon

Tami

And Doug. No he wasn't the only person to crash. He was just the only one unlucky enough to do it in front of the camera...

The main entrance to CC...

The next day we went up to the protest at the BLMs office. I didn't get any pics of that, but it was pretty cool with 2-300 people attending. I got speperated from the group after the protest and rode down to CC by myself.

The Ramblers had a hot dog stand setup at the entrance and I met Ed Tobin and had a good talk with him there.

Ok what's wrong in this next pic?

Nope, not the couple riding 2up...

Look at the lead rider...

Yep, that's a Harley!

This guy rode through CC from the main entrance through New Idria. He wasn't slow either. He was sliding the rear around turns better than a lot of people I've seen on dual sport bikes! The road wasn't exactly easy either, with lot's of ruts and a few rocks and loose stuff. Fucking bad ass!

Apex had Hot Dog as well at his ranch and just a cool place to hang out.

Well that's that. I met a bunch of new people this weekend, both from ADV and SBR, rode 500+ miles of epic dirt and street, participated in the ongoing effort to reopen Clear Creek, and hoperfully made a good impression with the BLM Rangers I spoke with. It was a kick ass weekend for me and I hope to see you out on the next one!

Cheers!

T O Double D screwed with this post 05-03-2010 at 11:53 AM
T O Double D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 10:51 AM   #485
GoSpeed
'getting there

Oddometer: 50
My bike, ready for the trip. A '95 Ducati (Cagiva) Elefant 900.

I'm riding with Paul and John, both with KTMs. We cross the border at Tecate and take Hwy 2 until we peel off on a dirt road to Santa Veronica.

The dirt riding was great. However, due to a faulty voltage regulator , I had to separate from the group and spend the night at this hotel in Valle de la Trinidad while Paul and John continued on to Mike's Sky Ranch.

I rejoined the gang the next day and we headed off for lunch in San Felipe and then rode down to Gonzaga Bay for some beach camping.

The next day we headed off for the the pacific coast, via Coco's corner. John had a flat front tire along the way.

We hit the coast at around El Rosario, and camped on the bluffs over the ocean near Playa Tranquilo

Around here my Ducati developed additional technical problems (a failed clutch slave cylinder ) and I needed to head back to San Diego. Paul and John agreed to stay with me, so we headed up to Ensenada where we camped again on the beach.

The next day we crossed back into the USA at Tecate, but not before one last meal in Mexico just nearby the Tecate border.

Thanks, Paul and John, for having me along and helping me with my crippled bike. Loads of fun.
Old 05-03-2010, 05:07 PM   #486
WoodsChick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,589
Thanks for the photos, Doug and Todd

I took a few, nowhere near my usual 100 or so. I found that I'm less likely to pull over and take photos when I'm in a group with riders in front of me and riders coming up behind me. I didn't want to break anyone's rythym, and I didn't want to keep anyone waiting longer than necessary, so...not so many photos.

Todd and Scottmac talking to a ranger in a shiny new Rubicon...

Doug and Scottmac...

John on the LC4 had dropped his tankbag on the road and I stopped to pick it up. Doug pulled in behind me and as we were walking around trying to figure out how to strap the extremely heavy bag to someone's bike, Doug noticed his rear tire was wedged up against a camera in the dirt. He was about 2mm away from crushing the camera with all John's Baja photos on it

Group shot...

Doug recovering from a tip-over...

John after making it through one of the mud bogs on Sawmill Creek Rd...

Another group shot...

Eric was really happy to be at the Creek again...

Once we got through to the other side of Clear Creek, Eric and I decided to rip back on the pavement. Coalinga Road is one of my favorite roads on the SM and I was really looking forward to a frisky ride after pussyfooting my way through Clear Creek on streety tires. John, Doug and our buddy Dan (on his wife's WR) decided to join us. We had a great ride, even though we had to stop to give Dan some fuel...

Dan ended up making it to the fairground before running out. We gave him some fuel out of Eric's tank and then took off for Panoche Road. Well...not so fast...why is my bike dead? No dash, no lights, no starter. Not to worry, though, as John happened to have a voltmeter in his pack

Eric, Dan, John and Doug...

We never got the ignition switch to come on, but we just sorta bypassed it with a strategically-placed bolt under the left side panel. We continued on our way into Tres Pinos for gas and then had a fairly spirited ride back to Mercey Hot Springs for some soaking and eating and relaxing by the fire.

More to come. I gotta go get that Clear Creek mud off my bike right now before it eats it all up. That's the one and only thing I don't miss about riding at Clear Creek. That stuff is nasty...

WoodsChick

Old 05-03-2010, 07:39 PM   #487
Super Suz
N00b with B00b

Oddometer: 1,556
Two great reports in one thread
Member of the Oakland Motorcycle Club. In town? Come visit us on a Weds night. We love show and tells! Want to speak about your trip or motorcycle topics in the Bay Area of Northern California? We have a club hall. IM me. If you give us enough notice and if we like your topic, you can come and speak. We have room for others to come and listen too.
Super Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 08:01 PM   #488
WoodsChick
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Suz
How was it with your tires? OK?

Looking forward to a road report and more pics.

Suz
Hey, Super Suz!

No problems with the tires. They worked fine as long as I was careful and not trying to be a world-beater out there. Things got a little interesting in the mud bogs on Sawmill Creek Rd but I breezed through them a lot easier than I expected. I've been riding my WR125 a lot on trails and as soon as I got on the dirt on the mighty 610 I was thinking "Oh no...what was I thinking? Why didn't I bring the 450 with knobs?" but that question was answered as soon as I got on the goaty pavement out to the hot springs

I never cease to be amazed at the supreme versatility of my 610 supermoto...it never fails to deliver the goods no matter where I am

WoodsChick

Old 05-03-2010, 08:17 PM   #489
WoodsChick
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by katumo_jtb
I'm on my way back from Baja. My trip got cut a little short so I'm in for the CC ride. I'm coming from SD so I won't be up at Hollister, but if you see an old dirty KTM at Mercey on Saturday come say hi.

John
I'm so glad you decided to join us, John! It was a pleasure sharing our campsite with you. Let's do it again sometime!

WoodsChick

Old 05-03-2010, 09:16 PM   #490
SFMCjohn

Oddometer: 808
A Few More pics from the Weekend ...

Hi All,

Thanks for posting all the photos from recent Baja and Mercey outings ... gives me somthing to do when I should be working ... ha.

Cary and I made the BAARC scene at Mercey this weekend in a tangential way, getting up late on Saturday, and remaining behind the eightball all weekend ...

Here's a photo of the new "asbestos warning" sign the county posted to officially re-open the county roads through Clear Creek OHV Area:

We rode down Old Hernandez Road and enjoyed the water crossing before making the left onto Clear Creek Road:

Here's one of the many water crossings on Clear Creek Road ...

We met up with the BAARC/SBRs gang at the top of the ridge at 4 pm! We still had to investigate the road out to the "gem site," visit a friend's ranch in Panoche Valley, and get gas! Argh. We wound up at Mercey at 9 pm, where we met Tony and Scott at campground 4, who quickly started the coals for our BBQ. We finally got our soak at 11 pm or so ... we got to meet Todd, Chris, Doug and Sharon, who supplied "The Bomb" chocolate cake. Yum. Sorry we missed you all at the other campfire! Next time ... needless to say we slept in on Sunday and missed the BLM Hollister Field Office gathering ...

Instead, thanks to this thread, we checked out Brown's Valley Road, another water crossing, and a fun way to stay off Rt 25 and get on some dirt! Yay!

I'm looking forward to learning about the dirt road you guys took before getting to the Panoche Inn, I didn't recognize it from the photos Todd posted ...

See you in the campground (hopefully in the Mendo NF!),
-- SFMCjohn
IBA#'98onaEX500

SFMCjohn screwed with this post 05-03-2010 at 09:29 PM
SFMCjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 09:17 PM   #491
WoodsChick
Beastly Adventurer

Saturday night's campfire went a little later than I had anticipated. The plan was to leave by 7am, but Chris (Luckett) came over for a nice chat and we ended up shooting the breeze until about 1:15am. The campfire had long been extinguished by the time we said our good-bye's. My alarm rang at 5:30am (normally that would be sleeping in for me) and I was draggin' ass all morning. Our buddy Dan wasn't going to be ready to leave on time, and John had to pack up all his camping equipment before leaving so we told the others in the group to go ahead and we'd join them as soon as possible. The 4 of us left the hot springs and tried to get to FlapJack's for breakfast as soon as we could. It was a splendid morning for a ride and I didn't even let my mood be affected by the big bird that bounced off my thigh on the way in.

Note to self: do not ever pass up a breakfast at FlapJacks ever again. They have rockin' good food!

We got to the protest at the BLM office in plenty of time. We wedged ourselves into a tiny parking spot...

There was lots of milling around, talking to friends old and new, checking out all the booths and reading all the post-it notes on the door to the office. There is now a "Save Clear Creek" sticker on their door, too I got to see Tom Dillenbeck again, too, and that is always a treat.

L to R: Dan, Eric, Chris, Doug, Scott, Todd, Mystery Guy...

Allan Diehr is a very eloquent speaker and his passion knows no bounds...

Lots of people, and lots of families, too...

The usual suspects paying close attention to the speakers...L to R: John, Chris, Todd, Dan and Eric...

You'll also notice in the background of the above photo that there were sportbikes, Gold Wings, sport tourers, Harleys, GSs, KLRs, supermotos, full-on dirtbikes in trucks, dualsports and every other kind of motorcycle you can imagine. It was great to see the diversity

This sign kind of sums it all up, don'tcha think?

Some folks went through Clear Creek, but Eric, Dan, John and I blazed back to the hot springs on the paved twisties. Chris went with us, too, but he had to detour to Safeway since the lucky bastard had another night of glorious camping ahead of him. The road between Paicines and the Panoche Inn is incredibly fun

I'll say right here and now that I totally dropped the ball on the photo-taking thing. I usually take tons of photos of everything, but this time I didn't take one photo of our campsite or the hot springs or anything. Luckily the others are filling in the blanks, but I wish I had taken more photos.
I did manage to get a few photos of the local wildlife, though.

This little baby was found all alone either on the day of her birth or the day after. She still had her umbilical cord hanging from her belly. She was standing all wobbly-like in a field. There was not another sheep within eyesight and it was getting dark. Some hikers, remembering the incessant howling of the coyotes every night, scooper her up and brought her to the hot springs office. Dee, the nice lady behind the counter there, fed her with a bottle, named her May, and let her sleep with her in her van. She was adorable and wagged her tail when I gave her a few strokes on her head. I donated my carton of half-and-half since Dee was quickly running out of milk. Isn't she sweet?

Eric and I were out at Clear Creek a few years ago decided to take a ride out to the hot springs. When we got there we found about 30 people under the tree in the parking lot. They were all looking up with spotting scopes, cameras and binoculars. We wandered over and found the tree absolutely jam-packed with long-eared owls. These folks had come from all over the world to see these owls! Anyway, I was really hoping they'd be there this time of year, too. I was not disappointed, even though it was only a momma and poppa owl keeping a very close eye on their fuzzy little babies.

Don't mess with Momma, she's got razors for claws...

Talk about dropping the ball ...I totally missed the shot of the fuzzy little baby faces...

Another parting shot of Momma. She never ever took her eyes off me as I walked around the tree. She even craned her little owl neck to watch me as I inspected the fuzzy little discarded mouse heads at the base of the tree...

Well, that's all I got, folks. I must say, I had way more fun this weekend than expected. Being in Clear Creek again was much more emotional than I thought it would be...the things I was feeling were surprising me.
The company was fantastic, just a really good group of folks. It was fun putting faces to the names. The riding was supreme, even though the dirt sections were just county roads that were in crappy (i.e. great!) shape. The goaty street portion more than made up for it. The springs were a complete godsend. The big pool kept me busy for almost 4 hours late Sunday afternoon and my previously-white skin now resembles the glowing embers of our slowly-dying campfire on Saturday night...in more ways than one...ouch!! Totally worth it, though. Our breakfast at FlapJack's was stellar, the weather was perfect, I got to see owls, bunnies, birds, lizards and a little lamb...what more could I possibly ask for?

LuckyChick

Old 05-04-2010, 05:05 PM   #492
luckett
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
I didn't take many pics, but this one seems particularly appropriate.

luckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 08:57 PM   #493
Low594
Adventuring Creep

Oddometer: 1,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Paul
Somewhere I have a very similar pic of myself on that same bench!
Low594 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 03:43 PM   #494
kaia
team F5 ⌘R

Oddometer: 1,933
i found a google car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFMCjohn
Instead, thanks to this thread, we checked out Brown's Valley Road, another water crossing, and a fun way to stay off Rt 25 and get on some dirt! Yay!

i didn't know browns valley road was dirt... so i looked it up on google maps... and found a google street view car's shadow nearby. [link to streetview car]

sorry for the unrelated thread hijack... it looks like everyone had a great time last weekend & CCMA - sorry i couldn't make it out.

me? i only had 3-4 hours to ride, so i rode Buzzard Lagoon Rd forward & back... and recorded video for the first time! the road was in good shape, no too muddy. i didn't see anyone else on the road, except for a bunch of mountain bikers heading into nisene marks state park.

Buzzard Lagoon Rd ( west to east ) & Buzzard Lagoon Rd ( east to west ) sorry for the camera angle... i'll do better next time, i promise.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:43 PM   #495
scottmac
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,487
I'm thinking about doing a Big Sur trip here in the near future.

What sayeth ye about a campout at Kirk Creek for a Friday/Saturday night??

With a loop of all the dirt available up off of Nacamiento/Cone Peak/SCRR and Los Burros on a Saturday???

If we can get a campsite at KC or if we have to go primative and camp up
on top of the ridge???

I'll drive my truck down if that's what it takes with wood, fuel and food.
scottmac is offline   Reply With Quote