ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2010, 04:45 PM   #796
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodsChick
Hey, if it makes you feel any better, I've spent a large amount of time on the ground myself. I'm sure most of these have been posted on ADV at some time or another, but I'm gonna post `em again anyway so here goes...

Hey, technically, that last doesn't count--you're still ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodsChick

BrusiedChick
I bet you're bruised, as well.

Next Trip: Divide & Conquer...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"
HardWorkingDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 05:49 PM   #797
M N B
would rather be riding

Oddometer: 1,108
So who's riding this weekend and where?
2003 Husqvarna TE610e
1997 BMW K1100LT Special Edition
M N B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 06:05 PM   #798
WoodsChick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardWorkingDog
Hey, technically, that last doesn't count--you're still ridin'

I bet you're bruised, as well.
Good one, HWD! Got me!

Yeah, you're right...I was still on the bike at that point. This is where I landed on the other side...And yes, Todd, that is Thompson Hill on the Dusy Ershim Trail...

WoodsChick

Old 07-23-2010, 06:30 PM   #799
isaac004
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by T O Double D
Ok, ok... Lets talk about riding. (Although damn Woods! That last one looks painfull. Dusy Ershim?)

Anybody up for a ride in the Bodie Hills/Sweetwater Mountains? With four days we can get some really fun riding/exlporing in.

Day 1: Ride to the Bridgeport area and set up camp.

Day 2: Bodie Hills. Very beginer friendly ride. Killer secnery, mines to explore, ghost towns, fishing, etc...

Day 3: Sweetwaters. Not as easy, but still on fire roads the whole time. Some steep, loose, rocky descents. There's also water crossings and about a mile of sand.

You can make it home after riding the Sweetwater loop, but it's not easy and I'd recommend going home day 4.

So is there any interest? I'm thinking of leaving August 13th or 20th.

Another good ride would be sometime in September. Do the Mojave Rd from Barstow to Laughlin NV. This could be combined with back roads and Death Valley to make it a true adventure ride of about a week in length. It does require some serious sand skills though, as the Mojave Rd. has many miles of the dreaded stuff. I've got a good idea for a route on this one, but would be open to change.
Keep me posted....my schedule is kind of uncertain as of now but I'm not too far away in LA and would like to jump out for a weekend for sure.
isaac004 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 06:40 PM   #800
Just Paul
Pro Cat Herder

Oddometer: 2,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by T O Double D
Ok, ok... Lets talk about riding. (Although damn Woods! That last one looks painfull. Dusy Ershim?)

Anybody up for a ride in the Bodie Hills/Sweetwater Mountains? With four days we can get some really fun riding/exlporing in.

Day 1: Ride to the Bridgeport area and set up camp.

Day 2: Bodie Hills. Very beginer friendly ride. Killer secnery, mines to explore, ghost towns, fishing, etc...

Day 3: Sweetwaters. Not as easy, but still on fire roads the whole time. Some steep, loose, rocky descents. There's also water crossings and about a mile of sand.

You can make it home after riding the Sweetwater loop, but it's not easy and I'd recommend going home day 4.

So is there any interest? I'm thinking of leaving August 13th or 20th.

Another good ride would be sometime in September. Do the Mojave Rd from Barstow to Laughlin NV. This could be combined with back roads and Death Valley to make it a true adventure ride of about a week in length. It does require some serious sand skills though, as the Mojave Rd. has many miles of the dreaded stuff. I've got a good idea for a route on this one, but would be open to change.
In for the August 13th or the 20th weekend.. Please pick a day so I can get the days off work...

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
Just Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 07:51 PM   #801
T O Double D OP
Pogue Mahone

Oddometer: 930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Paul
In for the August 13th or the 20th weekend.. Please pick a day so I can get the days off work...
Alright then I pick the 20th. I'll post complete details soon, but count on leaving Friday the 20th and returning Monday the 23rd. Front page will be updated as soon as I sober up...
T O Double D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 08:09 PM   #802
roundtripping
Adventourist

Oddometer: 1,702
Hmm... I'm coming back from Montana right around the 20-23, I might join you guys for at least a day if everything goes as planned ( which of course it never does, but I digress ). Will watch this space as time progresses.

My SPOT Tracker
roundtripping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 09:07 PM   #803
50X50
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
[quote=T O Double D]Ok, ok... Lets talk about riding. (Although damn Woods! That last one looks painfull. Dusy Ershim?)

Anybody up for a ride in the Bodie Hills/Sweetwater Mountains?

Todd,

I was just about to send you an email. I'm itchin' 2 ride.

"rocks, sand, mud, clay, ruts, cambers, water crossings, & everything else"
My Pics, Vids, SPOT & Blog
www.santacruzadventureriders.com
50X50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 09:49 AM   #804
rockydog
just a guy

Oddometer: 793
transalp repair

thanks all for the responses, went to Dennis at Norman Racing in Berkeley, just north of Berkeley Honda. They do exhaust systems, headers, fabrication, complete motor work, etc. on bikes and vintage race cars. Neat place and a bunch of pros doing great work..

stephen

Rockydog woofs the Isles, British Isles
rockydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 04:30 AM   #805
WoodsChick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockydog
thanks all for the responses, went to Dennis at Norman Racing in Berkeley, just north of Berkeley Honda. They do exhaust systems, headers, fabrication, complete motor work, etc. on bikes and vintage race cars. Neat place and a bunch of pros doing great work..

stephen
Dennis is the best! He's been my welder/fabricator/magician/problem-solver for years. Glad you got the help you needed

WoodsChick

Old 07-28-2010, 01:38 AM   #806
Just Paul
Pro Cat Herder

Hey Adv'ers,
4-Days - Ridgecrest to Lone Pine to Bishop and back,
Oct 1-4

I am planning on doing this ride.
http://www.district37ama.org/dualspo...s/SMTS2010.pdf

I am planning on doing the 4 day ride on my 990 in preperation for the LA to Vegas ride 1 month later. If you would like to join me pm me.

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
Old 07-28-2010, 02:37 PM   #807
T O Double D OP
Pogue Mahone

Oddometer: 930
Front page has been updated with my ride to the Bodie Hills and Just Paul is doing a Ridgecrest ride.

Bodie Hills Ride August 20-23rd

I'm heading out to the Bodie hills for a few days and want some comapany. This is a great ride for ADV bikes since it involves a lot of pavement to get there and most of the dirt is very easy stuff. Once we're in Bridgeport we will be riding almost 100% dirt. There are a few areas that aren't easy, namely one steep downhill and a few miles of sand on day two. It has everything from water crossings, small rocks, hillclimbs and descents, to amazing views of the Eastern Sierra, old mines to explore, ghost towns, and even fishing on the East Walker river.

This can be done in three days, but is much better done in four. If you do it in three you will be riding home Sunday night after riding most of the day, instead of camping and riding home Monday.

What you wil need:

Camping gear... Tent, sleeping bag, sleeping mat. This will be primitive camping. There will be no facilities and you will have to filter your water. I have a purifier, but it takes a while to filter water and the more purifiers the better. TP is a must, unless you like using your hand...

Food... I plan on eating these meals in Bridgeport...

Lunch on day 1 and 2, dinner on day 3, and breakfast on day 4.

For the rest of your meals you will need to bring it with you. I carry tuna in a bag for lunch, Mountain House freeze dired for dinner, and oatmeal and blueberries for breakfast, as well as assorted snack items.

Hat, sunscreen, chapstick. (we will be at elevations as high as 9,500')

First aid kit and tire repair supplies.

Water.

Gas range is 120 miles.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me. I encourage newer riders to come on this ride, but can't hold your hand too much. My number one rule is...

No Whining!

Meet time is 9:30am Friday the 20th @ the Starbucks located @ 46655 Mission Blvd., Fremont, CA That's on the north side of mission Blvd.

KSU 10am.

Quick itinerary that is subject to change...

Day 1- Meet and ride to Bridgeport via HWY 108. There's some dirt to explore coming down through the Marine MWTC. Camp along the E. Walker River.

Day 2- Ride around the Bodie Hills. Explore Bodie and other cool places.

Day 3- Ride the Sweetwater Mountain Range. Killer views of the E. Sierra and the most technical sections of the ride.

Day 4- Ride home. Several cool passes to choose from. I'm voting HWY 4 at the moment.

T O Double D screwed with this post 07-28-2010 at 10:25 PM
T O Double D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 05:51 PM   #808
Just Paul
Pro Cat Herder

Todd... IN for your ride.. I am going to take the days off work tommorow..

Old 07-28-2010, 06:39 PM   #809
NatetheNewbie
TAT-Tested

Oddometer: 74
Bodie Hills Ride

This sounds great - I don't know this area. I need to ge the time off, but count me in.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:01 PM   #810
icngacsn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
I'm in provided I can get the time off

On vacation right now so will check on Monday.