ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2010, 07:55 PM   #811
M N B
would rather be riding

Oddometer: 1,118
I just heard from ApexMolester that some bozos burned down half of Idria. The fire was contained to 20 acres, but the right side of town as you come in from New Idria Rd is pretty much ashes.

I think that means we need to do a ride down there this weekend! Who's up for it? My F800GS went last weekend, so I guess it's the Husky's turn. So I'll be looking for space in the back of anyone's truck to save myself a case of numbnuts...
2003 Husqvarna TE610e
1997 BMW K1100LT Special Edition
M N B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 10:13 PM   #812
50X50
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by M N B
I just heard from ApexMolester that some bozos burned down half of Idria. The fire was contained to 20 acres, but the right side of town as you come in from New Idria Rd is pretty much ashes.

I think that means we need to do a ride down there this weekend! Who's up for it? My F800GS went last weekend, so I guess it's the Husky's turn. So I'll be looking for space in the back of anyone's truck to save myself a case of numbnuts...
That is a real shame about New Idria. The same thing happened to Barker Ranch, Manson's place in the desert. History gone in a flash.

"rocks, sand, mud, clay, ruts, cambers, water crossings, & everything else"
My Pics, Vids, SPOT & Blog
www.santacruzadventureriders.com
50X50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 10:50 PM   #813
T O Double D OP
Pogue Mahone

Oddometer: 930
Quote:

Man I really want to go down there with ya Curt, but I'm backpacking this weekend.
T O Double D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 11:22 PM   #814
Just Paul
Pro Cat Herder

Oddometer: 2,094
Quote:

I am out also.. white water rafting this weekend..

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
Just Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 04:54 PM   #815
Just Paul
Pro Cat Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by T O Double D
Front page has been updated with my ride to the Bodie Hills and Just Paul is doing a Ridgecrest ride.

Bodie Hills Ride August 20-23rd

I'm heading out to the Bodie hills for a few days and want some company. This is a great ride for ADV bikes since it involves a lot of pavement to get there and most of the dirt is very easy stuff. Once we're in Bridgeport we will be riding almost 100% dirt. There are a few areas that aren't easy, namely one steep downhill and a few miles of sand on day two. It has everything from water crossings, small rocks, hillclimbs and descents, to amazing views of the Eastern Sierra, old mines to explore, ghost towns, and even fishing on the East Walker river.

This can be done in three days, but is much better done in four. If you do it in three you will be riding home Sunday night after riding most of the day, instead of camping and riding home Monday.

What you wil need:

Camping gear... Tent, sleeping bag, sleeping mat. This will be primitive camping. There will be no facilities and you will have to filter your water. I have a purifier, but it takes a while to filter water and the more purifiers the better. TP is a must, unless you like using your hand...

Food... I plan on eating these meals in Bridgeport...

Lunch on day 1 and 2, dinner on day 3, and breakfast on day 4.

For the rest of your meals you will need to bring it with you. I carry tuna in a bag for lunch, Mountain House freeze dired for dinner, and oatmeal and blueberries for breakfast, as well as assorted snack items.

Hat, sunscreen, chapstick. (we will be at elevations as high as 9,500')

First aid kit and tire repair supplies.

Water.

Gas range is 120 miles.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me. I encourage newer riders to come on this ride, but can't hold your hand too much. My number one rule is...

No Whining!

Meet time is 9:30am Friday the 20th @ the Starbucks located @ 46655 Mission Blvd., Fremont, CA That's on the north side of mission Blvd.

KSU 10am.

Quick itinerary that is subject to change...

Day 1- Meet and ride to Bridgeport via HWY 108. There's some dirt to explore coming down through the Marine MWTC. Camp along the E. Walker River.

Day 2- Ride around the Bodie Hills. Explore Bodie and other cool places.

Day 3- Ride the Sweetwater Mountain Range. Killer views of the E. Sierra and the most technical sections of the ride.

Day 4- Ride home. Several cool passes to choose from. I'm voting HWY 4 at the moment.

Todd,

I talked to my friend Mike (ktm 990) about this ride and he is also confirmed. He lives in Moss Landing so you guys might want to ride to the meeting spot together. He is a very good rider and former AFM racer and cool guy..

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
Old 08-02-2010, 05:47 PM   #816
SFMCjohn

Oddometer: 840
Sears Point dual sporting ...

Hi All,

Cary had an AFM race this weekend (250 Production) ... I was suprised to be able to do a little dual sporting in the hills between the track and Lakeville Road ... there were nice views of the Valley of the Moon and east towards Napa and southwest toward the bay and San Francisco ... there were a few ponds and a flock of sheep ... it is all pretty much set up for parking now for the NHRA drags and Nascar ... lots of super easy dirt roads ... but fun ... so we got to camp, watch the races and ride our dual sport bikes a little as well ...

No one yelled at me for crusing around out there, and there were no gates or signs ... YMMV ... I'll try to keep you all posted if it's open like that next year ... there are some pics of some XR100 ridin' and vintage bikes at the races here: http://caryandjohn.wordpress.com/

See you out there,
-- SFMCjohn

PS: We can't make the Bodie Ride due to having to get Cary's step-sister to SFO at 7am on 7/21 [bummer, next time!] but we will be up around Lake Pillsbury on August 13-15th ... we'll be on KLRs and will be taking M10 over to Stonyford and back on Saturday ... try to get up Hull Mtn, too ... if we try to rent the Pine Mountain Lookout earler that week [Aug. 11-12th] I'll post somthing here ...
IBA#'98onaEX500
SFMCjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 03:09 AM   #817
roundtripping
Adventourist

Oddometer: 1,702
Todd: do you have the campsites figured out for the Bodie ride? I'd like to hook up with you guys on my way back from MT, but don't quite know which day/time I'll be in the area, so I figured if you have the camps mapped out I could just join you one of the evenings? --Jo

My SPOT Tracker
roundtripping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 05:46 AM   #818
WoodsChick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Paul
Here are some pics from my rafting trip this weekend..

American River.. class 4,5 and the guide does a class 6 by himself..

Here is a link to a small video that someone took for tunnel shoot.. one of the rapids we did http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3jZv-FJ8Vw
cool rafting video ... didn't do these rivers (thank god).. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cahuS...eature=related

Nice photos! I've never been rafting like that but I've always wanted to.
Was the water freezing?

WoodsChick

Old 08-04-2010, 08:27 AM   #819
50X50
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
[quote=Just Paul]Here are some pics from my rafting trip this weekend..

American River.. class 4,5 and the guide does a class 6 by himself..

On the list!

"rocks, sand, mud, clay, ruts, cambers, water crossings, & everything else"
My Pics, Vids, SPOT & Blog
www.santacruzadventureriders.com
50X50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 10:01 AM   #820
T O Double D OP
Pogue Mahone

Quote:
Originally Posted by jryden
Todd: do you have the campsites figured out for the Bodie ride? I'd like to hook up with you guys on my way back from MT, but don't quite know which day/time I'll be in the area, so I figured if you have the camps mapped out I could just join you one of the evenings? --Jo
I'm planning on staying at "The Elbow" along the E. Walker river. Trouble is I can't gurantee we can get a spot there as it's wilderness camping and first come first served. I've never seen it completly filled there, but it's a possiblity. Here's a Google map of possible camp sites.
Cheers!
Old 08-04-2010, 11:30 AM   #821
Just Paul
Pro Cat Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodsChick
Nice photos! I've never been rafting like that but I've always wanted to.
Was the water freezing?

WoodsChick
it was a little cold for the first 15 minutes but you get used to it pretty quick.

In the afternoon I was hot and jumped in 3 or 4 times to cool off..

Old 08-04-2010, 06:55 PM   #822
boney
Ride > Post

Oddometer: 1,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by T O Double D
I'm planning on staying at "The Elbow" along the E. Walker river. Trouble is I can't gurantee we can get a spot there as it's wilderness camping and first come first served. I've never seen it completly filled there, but it's a possiblity. Here's a Google map of possible camp sites.
Cheers!
I was through there a few weeks ago (on a weekday) and didn't see anyone.

However north and a bit west of there on Risue Rd along Desert Creek was packed.
boney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:18 PM   #823
katumo_jtb
bogus journeyer

Oddometer: 452
Hey guys, just wanted to say... I got the time off work and I'm IN for the Bodie ride.

John
katumo_jtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 12:06 AM   #824
Just Paul
Pro Cat Herder

Hey All, here is the shots from the rafting trip I did last weekend.. I came super close to being thrown head first and backwards down a class 5 rapid..

Old 08-05-2010, 12:18 AM   #825
T O Double D OP
Pogue Mahone

Quote:
Originally Posted by katumo_jtb
Hey guys, just wanted to say... I got the time off work and I'm IN for the Bodie ride.

John
Stoked! So far there's five of us going, including myself, and two more interested. This should be fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFMCjohn
PS: We can't make the Bodie Ride due to having to get Cary's step-sister to SFO at 7am on 7/21 [bummer, next time!] but we will be up around Lake Pillsbury on August 13-15th ... we'll be on KLRs and will be taking M10 over to Stonyford and back on Saturday ... try to get up Hull Mtn, too ... if we try to rent the Pine Mountain Lookout earler that week [Aug. 11-12th] I'll post somthing here ...
Bummer John. Well we'll raise a glass for you while we camp.