ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2010, 11:26 PM   #886
isaac004
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 676
That Bodie trip looked pretty bad ass!!!! Envious....
isaac004 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 07:45 AM   #887
Just Paul
Pro Cat Herder

Oddometer: 2,089
Bishop 3 day dual sport ride

Hey Guys,

I found this and thought a couple of you might be intrested.

http://vcmc.info/bishopset610101.pdf

Looks like a great ride, I would go on it but I am going on this ADV 4 day ride the weekend before and guessing I will be pretty tired.
http://www.district37ama.org/dualspo...s/SMTS2010.pdf

If someone really wants to do it and has a plated dirtbike let me know and maybe they might talk me into it

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine

Just Paul screwed with this post 08-24-2010 at 08:02 AM
Just Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 08:55 AM   #888
trailjammer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
Awesome pictures of your Bodie trip Paul. Looks like a great time!
Old 08-24-2010, 11:01 AM   #889
Qwik
Two Wheeled Addict

Oddometer: 6,025
Looks like a Good time was had by all
Old 08-24-2010, 08:55 PM   #890
50X50
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Bridgeport-Bodie-Sweetwater

You guys rock!
I have to say that was a perfect ride. I have never been with so many personalities that clicked so well. What a great group of guys. Thanks for the opportunity, all I want to do is ride more, more, more!

Since you guys got all the trail pics, I ended up staying an extra day and cruised around Bridgeport and snapped off some shots of the town. I'll post later.

Good times!

"rocks, sand, mud, clay, ruts, cambers, water crossings, & everything else"
My Pics, Vids, SPOT & Blog
www.santacruzadventureriders.com
50X50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 09:56 PM   #891
50X50
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwik
Looks like a Good time was had by all
Tim, we talked about getting you out on one of these rides. You would crush it. Lets grab a ride soon.

Jeff

"rocks, sand, mud, clay, ruts, cambers, water crossings, & everything else"
My Pics, Vids, SPOT & Blog
www.santacruzadventureriders.com
50X50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 10:02 PM   #892
katumo_jtb
bogus journeyer

Oddometer: 456
I'm finally starting to get over the soreness from day 3. That ride definitely pushed my limits, but you guys were awesome. I could never have done a ride like that without everyone's help. I hope I can walk into a river and help some n00b pick up his bike on the next one

Looking forward to the next ride

John
katumo_jtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 11:36 PM   #893
zeegman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 342
Sweetwater/Bodie Campout

Awesome times Guys.

Great pictures Paul.

Great routes Todd. Thanks for sand tips.

Here is just an example of one of the pictures I got at a different angle from Pauls shot.

Good thing Todd had his bullet proof cup.

More real pictures to come.

Mike Z

Note to Mike on KTM 950 - let me know when you want to pick up the stock exhaust. Also I need to get a side stand foot mounted like JustPaul's. Stupid Touratech foot is rattling loose.
zeegman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 04:10 AM   #894
WoodsChick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by katumo_jtb
I'm finally starting to get over the soreness from day 3. That ride definitely pushed my limits, but you guys were awesome. I could never have done a ride like that without everyone's help. I hope I can walk into a river and help some n00b pick up his bike on the next one

Looking forward to the next ride

John
Surely someone had to get a photo of your swim, John??

Looks and sounds like a great time was had by all! I bet it was more fun than the alcohol-free family reunion I went to that weekend...

WoodsChick

Old 08-25-2010, 11:27 AM   #895
Just Paul
Pro Cat Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeegman
Awesome times Guys.

Great pictures Paul.

Great routes Todd. Thanks for sand tips.

Here is just an example of one of the pictures I got at a different angle from Pauls shot.

Good thing Todd had his bullet proof cup.

More real pictures to come.

Mike Z

Note to Mike on KTM 950 - let me know when you want to pick up the stock exhaust. Also I need to get a side stand foot mounted like JustPaul's. Stupid Touratech foot is rattling loose.

HAHA I call photoshop

the foot print I have on my bike is the same size and shape as the touratech one. mine rattled off and we grabbed it before it fell off and mike used that as the stamp. Its great.

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
Old 08-25-2010, 03:43 PM   #896
T O Double D OP
Pogue Mahone

Oddometer: 930
When I posted this trip I had visions of a very sadate, scenic, picture taking, stroll through the Bodie Hills. What it ended up being was a high speed blast through some, at times, very challenging terrain. We did some exploring and found some cool new routes, as well as some killer single track! I had a blast and met some cool new people and can't wait to do it again.

We started with eight riders at the *$. Paul, Mike, and Mike Z. on 990s, Nate X-Challenge, Jon 640 Enduro, Albert and Greg 1200GS, plus myself on a 950 SE. We met up with Sean in Oakdale aboard his GSA. Unfortunatly Greg had a valave stem issue, so he and Albert had to part ways with us in Jamestown.

The ride over Sonorra Pass was, as usual, epic.

Paul and Mike just before the pass

Mike Z followed by Nate cresting the pass.

I had planned for day 2 to be very easy, but we ended up climbing up to all that's left of Aurora, which is a rocky uphill section that can be a real challenge on the big bikes. Then finding a new and sandy way into Bodie.

Sean and Mike Z heading for Aurora.

Shortly after Aurora, nothing left there but one wall and a cemetary, we had our first crash. Nate managed to turn his BMW up-side-down.

Times are tough in the Bodie Hills.

One thing about riding with me is that my camera has an 18x zoom (26 with digital) so if you drop your bike chances are I'll get the evidence! Mike Z drops his kick ass new 950 in the sand just outside Bodie.

Mike Z

Kick starting a 640 is a bitch. This is something we got to watch Jon do a lot over the next three days.

Jeff and Jon ascending Masonic Mt. Elevation ~ 9,200' with Bridgeport in the background.

This red dirt can be a pain when it's wet. Thankfully it was nice and dry today.

Paul, wanting to ditch the group, pushes the secret 990 smoke screen button.

And it worked for a bit!

Nate was able to avoid any ill effects though.

Throughout this whole ride we were popping in and out of CA and NV. This was just one of, and the best marked, the many back country border crossings. Which one of these guys didn't get the memo on how to properly salute your fellow ADVers? Ahem....ffeJ

From left to right... Nate, Jon (standing), Jeff, Mike, Todd, and Paul

There was a rally of sorts happening on Saturday throughout the Bodie Hills. This was the coolest one I saw, although the color is kinda... :ymca

Ok, here's were things started to get a little crazy. How many things are wrong in this picture... There's Paul with a gun, Mike and a cup of "FaderAide", and Jeff on his mini, sans helmet... Yeah, the night was about to get good!

It was amazing how many of the guys in this group hadn't ever shoot a gun before. Well we're gonna change that! Mike shows Jeff how to shoot.

Nate going all Rambo on that can.

Mike Z was a deadeye. Another thing I learned about this mild mannered Electrical Engineer on this trip is that he's former Canadian Army and has shot all kinds of cool weapons. Cans beware!

Yep the night was getting good. And what could possibly make it better? How about some boiling gas jets! Don't try this at home, or out in the desert for that matter, but it's a tightly capped bottle with a whole punched in the top placed STRAIGHT UP in the fire. When the gas boils the fumes are expelled and ignite causing a large flaming gas jet! These pics were taken after most of the gas had been burned up, so it was just a little flame coming out. (We were standing pretty far back during the huge jets)

And here's some video... Yes, Paul was hooting an hollering... I think the FadrerAide had something to do with that!

http://s309.photobucket.com/albums/k...RCAug10179.mp4

Day 3 was spent riding through the Sweetwater Mtns. Sorry about the veiws guys. I'll try and find some better ones next time.

Nate and Paul coming up a little hill climb.

Ok remember in my trip discription when I said there was a steep hill. Well this is it. I was leading with Mike behind me, who was the best rider among us, and when we neared the top of this hill I motioned for him to slow down and back off of me. At first he thought, "WTF, this is easy 2 track that any jackass on a retard chariot (quad) can handle." But he quickly discovered why I wanted space. This hill is long, loose, and steep. All three of the big bikes made it down fine, but the small bikes had a few problems...

Nate was the first of the small bikes to come down the hill. (And to go down...)

He made it with only one crash.

Jon was next up, or would that be down?

Yep it would be down.

Now this had us a bit worried. Jon was kicking his bike feverishly, and Jeff was flying down the hill on his 525.

But not to worry, as Jeff wanted to get up close and personal with the local bushes.

Jon was kicking that bike for what seemed like days.

Jeff was getting impatiant and wanted to start some shit over it.

But they eventualy made it down. Now I would just like to say that I did have a go around for this if I felt anybody in the group really needed it. I would never expect someone to ride beyond their limits.

After that it was time for a little free form exploring. I was tired of leading so I had Mike take over.

Nate.

Jon.

Jeff.

Riders Meeting.

What's Jeff looking at?

Oh, it's a very loose and rocky hillclimb. Mike, being the bad ass he is didn't think anything of it and charged up it before anybody could tell him it was a bad idea.

Jeff had a good crash, but eventualy roosted his way up to the top.

Paul had no trouble getting his 990 up it.

Nate put in a killer effort...

...But lost it at the top.

Paul's a true friend. Takes your pic before he'll help you out. You know, for posterity.

Jon was very tired after kicking that bitch over all day long and didn't make it too far.

I ended up riding his bike up and then realized it would be a major pain for me to get my SE up the hill, so I decided to turn tail and run away!

Turned out to be a really good decision as we found some killer single track...

That ran along a stream that we crossed countless times...

While the other guys struggled through them...

...Jeff decided to cool off in one of 'em!

Single track on an ADV ride. Gotta love it!

Mike salutes you!

Back up in the wide open high country.

Well, that was that. I had a blast and met some really cool people. I can't wait to do it again! Thanks to everybody that came along and made this such a kick ass trip.

T O Double D screwed with this post 08-25-2010 at 04:07 PM
T O Double D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 04:08 PM   #897
katumo_jtb
bogus journeyer

Oddometer: 456
Awesome pics Todd! I knew someone had pics of that damn hill and the cool single track by the river. I gotta go lift some weights before the next trip...
katumo_jtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 04:38 PM   #898
Just Paul
Pro Cat Herder

Todd, you took some great shots..

Old 08-25-2010, 04:38 PM   #899
T O Double D OP
Pogue Mahone

Oddometer: 930
Oh yeah, another thing I learned on this trip is that 4 out of 5 FFs prefer the smell of Method cleaner, available only at your local Target Store, to the leading brand for cleaning your goggles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katumo_jtb
Awesome pics Todd! I knew someone had pics of that damn hill and the cool single track by the river. I gotta go lift some weights before the next trip...

You gotta get an E button!
T O Double D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 04:44 PM   #900
M N B
would rather be riding

Oddometer: 1,106
Nice pics...

mah favrite:
Quote:
That snaky road in a nearly wide open expanse for some reason just gets me.
2003 Husqvarna TE610e
1997 BMW K1100LT Special Edition

M N B screwed with this post 08-25-2010 at 06:20 PM
M N B is offline   Reply With Quote