ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2010, 09:55 PM   #916
WoodsChick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,602
Congratulations, John and Cary!! What a sweet, sweet wedding! May you both live out the rest of your days basking in the joy of each others company

BTW, 18 years ago I had motorcycles on my wedding cake, too A roadracer for Eric and a roosting dirtbike for me, with knobby tracks all over the frosting

WoodsChick

Old 08-28-2010, 09:38 PM   #917
icngacsn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by T O Double D
When I posted this trip I had visions of a very sadate, scenic, picture taking, stroll through the Bodie Hills. What it ended up being was a high speed blast through some, at times, very challenging terrain. We did some exploring and found some cool new routes, as well as some killer single track! I had a blast and met some cool new people and can't wait to do it again.

We started with eight riders at the *$. Paul, Mike, and Mike Z. on 990s, Nate X-Challenge, Jon 640 Enduro, Albert and Greg 1200GS, plus myself on a 950 SE. We met up with Sean in Oakdale aboard his GSA. Unfortunatly Greg had a valave stem issue, so he and Albert had to part ways with us in Jamestown.

[COLOR=silver]Well, that was that. I had a blast and met some really cool people. I can't wait to do it again! Thanks to everybody that came along and made this such a kick ass trip.
Really pissed I missed this ride...

Great pics, looked like lots of fun.
Old 08-29-2010, 12:05 AM   #918
T O Double D OP
Pogue Mahone

Oddometer: 930
Quote:
Originally Posted by icngacsn
Really pissed I missed this ride...

Great pics, looked like lots of fun.
I'm pissed you missed it too... I wanted to compare the 690 with the X-Challenge back2back damit!

But seriously, it would've been cool if you'd made it. Hopefully next time!
T O Double D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 08:45 AM   #919
SFMCjohn

Oddometer: 845
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodsChick
Congratulations, John and Cary!! What a sweet, sweet wedding! May you both live out the rest of your days basking in the joy of each others company

BTW, 18 years ago I had motorcycles on my wedding cake, too A roadracer for Eric and a roosting dirtbike for me, with knobby tracks all over the frosting

WoodsChick
Hi WoodsChick,

Thanks for the kind words! We hope that a motorcycle wedding cake is the secret to a long and happy marriage, like you and Eric ... Is Eric's ankle recovered after his tip-over in Nevada?

Here's a pic of the bride at Thunderhill yesterday ...

I think Cary needs two more race weekends with the AFM, and she'll have her Expert plates ... [you need six race weekends to advance from novice yellow plates ...]

As we were leaving Thunderhill last night, about 100 BMWs were pulling into the track to camp out and ride on Sunday ... looked like a BMW MOA trackday ... Fun!

See you in the campground,
-- SFMCjohn
IBA#'98onaEX500
SFMCjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 12:38 AM   #920
Just Paul
Pro Cat Herder

Oddometer: 2,098
Hey All,

Did a 2 up ride.

Started on Friday night and camped at Laguna Seca, then Saturday night camped right outside hearst castle. Sat roosted on Pismo Beach.. Then Sunday went to Hearst Castle..

After Hearst Castle took Hwy 1 to Naciemento thru fort hunter liggett then took 198 to hwy 25..

here are the pics..

Right outside Hearst Castle

I love PISMO !!

Hearst Castle Pics !

Saw this sign near the bus driver.. WE CRACKED UP !!

Saw this little guy on the way home at 90 MPH on HWY 25 in the road.. got him off the road and took a couple pics..

There were 8 skydivers all jumping at the same time. We stopped and watched them for a few minutes... they landed about 5 seconds apart..

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
Just Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 05:48 AM   #921
WoodsChick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,602
Nice photos, Paul! I love those pools up there! I dig the miniature skydiver, too. I hope he didn't get his tiny parachute caught in the barb wire

WoodsChick

Old 08-30-2010, 07:34 AM   #922
GP1152
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
Great little trip. My Fiance and I are moving out to the Bay Area later this year.......can't wait!!!

RIDE REPORT: Me, a blonde, 2 Ducati's.....3,000 miles
CURRENT RIDE REPORT: Part 2: Me, a blonde, 2 Ducati's.....4,000 miles
GP1152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 09:37 AM   #923
T O Double D OP
Pogue Mahone

Oddometer: 930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Paul

Saw this sign near the bus driver.. WE CRACKED UP !!

I think Spanky needs that sign for his collection!
T O Double D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 01:47 PM   #924
Just Paul
Pro Cat Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by T O Double D
I think Spanky needs that sign for his collection!
HAHA Totally !

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
Old 08-30-2010, 10:30 PM   #925
50X50
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Looks like a good ride Paul. Your motor doesn't even cool off and you're back out there! I'm ready to go again! Let's get Spanky and do a loop.

"rocks, sand, mud, clay, ruts, cambers, water crossings, & everything else"
My Pics, Vids, SPOT & Blog
www.santacruzadventureriders.com
50X50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 08:33 PM   #926
bykpimp
Live and let ride

Oddometer: 1,408
Hahahahaha where the hell can I get one of those kits!!!

Hey Jeff, I've a lovely pic of me standing outside the Bridgeport jail. I had my "Do not arrest this person" T on under me leathers back in the day.....Wanna quess what happened?? ohh how the jailers laughed when I stripped it down to my Scooby Doo boxers and that T-shirt......True.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:02 PM   #927
50X50
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Do Not Arrest This Person

Quote:
Originally Posted by bykpimp
Hahahahaha where the hell can I get one of those kits!!! If you don't get a kit...just ole' school it!

Hey Jeff, I've a lovely pic of me standing outside the Bridgeport jail. I had my "Do not arrest this person" T on under me leathers back in the day.....Wanna quess what happened?? ohh how the jailers laughed when I stripped it down to my Scooby Doo boxers and that T-shirt......True.

THAT IS CLASSIC!
Hey if you are going to do it... do it in style!
But if you twist the throttle, all your problems will be solved. ***j/k***

Pics would be nice...

"rocks, sand, mud, clay, ruts, cambers, water crossings, & everything else"
My Pics, Vids, SPOT & Blog
www.santacruzadventureriders.com
50X50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 12:56 AM   #928
Just Paul
Pro Cat Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50X50

THAT IS CLASSIC!
Hey if you are going to do it... do it in style!
But if you twist the throttle, all your problems will be solved. ***j/k***

Pics would be nice...
twisting the throttle has never been a problem of spanky's.

I believe in this case the cops blocked the road and he was going so fast and the cops were so far behind that spanky didn't even know they were chasing him... lol

Old 09-10-2010, 12:35 PM   #929
SFMCjohn

Oddometer: 845
Sweet Water Mountains, Labor Day ...

Hi all,

I was inspired by posts here on our BAARC thread, and by these two posts:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=613433

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=91

to explore, over Labor Day, a couple of routes that lead up and over Mt. Patterson in the Sweet Water Mountains north of Bridgeport ...

I hope to get back up there in the next few weeks and try to get the KLR up and over Mt. Patterson ... over Labor Day I wanted to find my way to the two roads that will lead you up there, and to check out camping sites where I would be able to unload the KLR before trying to get up to the top of Mt. Patterson, up over 11,000' ...

I left San Francisco at 7am, and took the Bay Bridge to 580 to 205 to 120 to 108 east ... I got up to the turn off for Dodge Ridge in Long Barn around 11am, after spending an hour in Sonora getting groceries and water ...

Here is the intersection of FDR 31 (Merrill Springs Road), which I took up to Browns Meadow Road (FR 3N92), which I hoped would lead me back to Cold Springs and 108 ... I got lost, and spent a couple of hours up there before getting back on 108 at Long Barn ... I poked around up on Dodge Ridge for a couple of hours, tons of OHV trails and logging roads to explore ...

The intersection at the beginning of FDR 31 in Long Barn ...

A view from Dodge Ridge along the Sierra Grandstand route ...

The weather was perfect, with no wind ... not too much traffic up and over Sonora Pass ... I got gas ($4.10/gal!) in Bridgeport, picked up a Humboldt-Toyiabe Forest Service map from the ranger station on the left on the way out of town on 395 south, and backtracked back up to Sweet Water Road, where I would make a left at Atchison Road at the Sweet Water Ranch and head up towards the ghost town of Belfort on FR 198 ...

The left onto FR 198 at Atchison Road and FR 191 ...

My campsite on FR 198, just below the mine meadow before the steep rocky climb up to Belfort ... looking east across Sweet Water Road towards the ghost town of Masonic ...

The KLR was loaded down with camping gear, and I was by myself, so I didn't try to climb up to Belfort, which I don't think I could do with a loaded KLR ... long, steep, rocky and loose! I headed down the next morning after an evening with the Milky Way and the sound of cow bells in the distance, though I never saw the cows ...

I took Risue Road west to Eastside Lane, where I got gas in Walker ($4.00/gal) before backtracking on Eastside Lane to Bircham Flat Road south to the left onto the road that leads up to Lobdell Lake:

One of the small water crossings in an aspen grove on the way up to Lobdell Lake ...

A view northwards towards Lake Lobdell and Mt. Patterson ...

I explored around Lake Lobdell, which is up around 9600' ... lots of sage jeep tracks up above the tree line ... fun.

Some of the tracks leading into the sage around Lake Lobdell ... looking west, on a track west of the road to Lake Lobdell ...

I camped on Saturday night off of FR 168, I think, the one that leads up and east to the microwave towers before you get back to Bircham Flat Road ... another windless evening, with a small campfire and the Milky Way, up around 9500' ... I was looking down on the Marine Training Center, miles away, and could hear a flock of sheep way down in Bircham Flat ...

There was a fair amount of people on Risue Road, but other than that I was amazed at the solitude in this part of the world on a Labor Day weekend ...

There is a ton of riding to be done here, only about 228 miles and 4.5 hours from San Francisco ... I hope to get back up here before the cold weather, to base camp at Lake Lobdell and try to get up Mt. Patterson and down to Belfort and loop back through Bridgeport to Bircham Flat and back up to Lake Lobdell ... we'll see ... I can say that getting on top of Mt. Patterson would be a very tough ride for me on a KLR, so I'll take a friend, and won't be suprised if I have to try again when my Nevada-style climbing skills have improved! Ha.

On the way home I tried to take the forest roads north of 108, but I guess you have to talk to the guard at the Marine Training Base? Anyway, I couldn't find the road ... I'll try to find it on the west end up by Sonora Pass, and see where it comes out ... it looks like fun on the map ... anyone have any tips about this way?

Here's a couple more pics, here:
http://caryandjohn.wordpress.com/201...abor-day-2010/

Fellow inmate, kdxkawboy, was super generous when I pm'ed him about routes up in the Sweet Water area, giving me tips and encouragement ... thanks, Pat! Kdxkawboy is one of the inmates that I regularly use the "find recent posts" feture to check out his photos and ride reports in this area of Nevada ... he's pretty active and navigates using maps and descriptions to describe the areas he rides in, so his posts are super useful ...

See you out there,
-- SFMCjohn
IBA#'98onaEX500

SFMCjohn screwed with this post 09-10-2010 at 01:00 PM
SFMCjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 01:25 PM   #930
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,546
Nice report, I have been up that way, but like you say, there is lots to explore!
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote