ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2010, 11:08 PM   #961
SFMCjohn

Oddometer: 814
Pismo ... Jarbidge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Suz
This thread is so fun to check out! Great pics all around. Can't wait to see WoodsChick's next set. I was inspired to visit the Alvord Desert this summer because of her last trip pics. What a fantastic place

The SFMC crew pics Lake Pilsbury are really special. Congratulations! I hope to see you guys next weekend at the Pismo Classic. I can't wait to see where the SFMC tour guides going to take us.

There's some fine rides a brewing here in the Regional West forum.
Hi Super Suz!

Hope to see you at Pismo ... thanks for the kind words!

I've been enjoying this thread of your's, and hope to see Denio Jnctn & NV hot springs, someday:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=614731

Looks like you've been having a great summer ... and great DV/Turkey day plans, to boot ... I saw OMC member "Ukulele" John in Panamint back in June ... he was on his Goldwing-trailer rig ... fun!

WoodsChick and Larryboy's current NV threads are a great inspiration, too ... "fine rides a brewing," indeed! Can't wait to see T O Double D's pics!

Here's a couple of Jarbidge pics I took back in early June, 2008, on my way to MT and Alaska:

This is looking east at the pass on the "low road" heading north towards Jarbidge ... one of my favorite pics ...

A bit further north on the "low road" heading towards Jarbidge ...

Here's a link to the rally that Super Suz is speaking of:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=550702

This Sunday, we're going to be re-creating a panoramic photograph of a rally photo taken in 1926 at Pismo Beach that the Oakland Motorcycle Club was a part of back then ...

Hope to see some of you on the trail, soon!
-- SFMCjohn
IBA#'98onaEX500
SFMCjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 06:11 PM   #962
Super Suz
N00b with B00b

Oddometer: 1,556
Nice rainbow in the clouds above the moto.

Hey! DId you guys see that Wheatwacker, a local Bay Arian, has a pic in the front page of ADV?

Looks like he's riding around the M1 or somwhere close by there.

Cool!
Member of the Oakland Motorcycle Club. In town? Come visit us on a Weds night. We love show and tells! Want to speak about your trip or motorcycle topics in the Bay Area of Northern California? We have a club hall. IM me. If you give us enough notice and if we like your topic, you can come and speak. We have room for others to come and listen too.
Super Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 04:48 AM   #963
T O Double D OP
Pogue Mahone

Oddometer: 930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Paul
I just checked out Todd's Spot page and it looks like him and Jeff are covering some good ground and lots of offroad.. most of it is not even on google maps zoomed in to max

We're about a half day behind schedual because Jeff got a flat before we even got starred. So far the trip has been kick ass! We blasted along the playa at 90+, rode a little single track, pissed off an Indian by accidentaly tresspassing on tribal lands (fucking Garmin said it was legal!), and have been riding through some of the coolest mountains (between Denio and McDermitt) I've ever seen. Tomorrow we go through the Owhyee river area. It's one of the most remote areas in the lower 48 and from the pics I've seen also one if the most scenic. I'm a bit nervous as I couldn't get any good maps, so I have to trust the GPS completly.

Cheers!
T O Double D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 07:43 AM   #964
Stinez
Rhymes with Heinz :D

Oddometer: 47,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by T O Double D
We're about a half day behind schedual because Jeff got a flat before we even got starred. So far the trip has been kick ass! We blasted along the playa at 90+, rode a little single track, pissed off an Indian by accidentaly tresspassing on tribal lands (fucking Garmin said it was legal!), and have been riding through some of the coolest mountains (between Denio and McDermitt) I've ever seen. Tomorrow we go through the Owhyee river area. It's one of the most remote areas in the lower 48 and from the pics I've seen also one if the most scenic. I'm a bit nervous as I couldn't get any good maps, so I have to trust the GPS completly.

Cheers!
From my experience it's the various dogs the Indians own that need to be avoided. I say that because I've been chased by packs of their dogs and while chased I had no doubt that they'd attack me if they caught me.

The Indians I've seen just give dirty looks although this time of year some of them may have a "farm" ready to harvest so they may be more protective than during normal times.

The GOP puts the "Con" in Conservative.
Stinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 06:28 PM   #965
Just Paul
Pro Cat Herder

Oddometer: 2,092
Quote:

Cheers!
Congrats on the great trip so far... what's this about halfday behind schedule... From what I hear from good sources.. you can change a tire in like 12 minutes.

Looks like you just crossed into your 4th state of the trip.... ca, ore, nev, and Welcome to Idaho !

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine

Just Paul screwed with this post 09-16-2010 at 06:34 PM
Just Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 10:44 AM   #966
Qwik
Adrenaline Addict

Oddometer: 6,087
Quote:
Tomorrow we go through the Owhyee river area. It's one of the most remote areas in the lower 48 and from the pics I've seen also one if the most scenic. I'm a bit nervous as I couldn't get any good maps, so I have to trust the GPS completly.

Cheers!
The Owyhee's dont suck. Make sure and go to Silver City while you are in the area

Old 09-17-2010, 02:26 PM   #967
WoodsChick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwik

Nice

Didja soak in the springs?

We'd planned on going there on our most recent trip but things changed when Eric's twin brother decided to join us

WoodsChick

Old 09-17-2010, 04:58 PM   #968
Qwik
Adrenaline Addict

went for a swim and camped on that gravel beach. I will definitely go back
Old 09-17-2010, 05:19 PM   #969
T O Double D OP
Pogue Mahone

Oddometer: 930
The trip gets weirder everyday! Jeff and I got some FUCKED UP directions that had us go in a 100+ mile loop out and back to McDermit. When we got back we met a FF named Sam, on an ADVed KTM 450, who I invited to join us. He did, but Jeff got a call and had to go back home. Finaly got back out to the Owhyee area. Where I was, Tim, you'd have a hell of a time getting an overloaded bike like that through, especially with those tires. I barley made a gnarly hill climb at Crutcher Crossing. Navigating out there is a pain as well. We saw only one person in 24 hours, a ranch hand. Some of the roads were so far gone we had to trust the GPS and compass readings. Good times.

Anyway Sam split off and went back home to Oregon so I'm solo for a bit and staying in Mountain Home ID for the night.

Cheers!
T O Double D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 11:29 AM   #970
r3r3r
Wildebeast

Oddometer: 538
Quote:
Sorry man, but I'm a bit of a luddite and only have a GPS for keeping track of milage and elevation. I just use paper maps to get me around.
I thought I was the only one who still used paper maps - and I don't even have a GPS... Awesome ride through the Bodie Hills, you guys must've had a blast.

Enjoy Idaho, hope all is well out there. Looking forward to the pics.
r3r3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 01:17 AM   #971
50X50
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Northern Nevada Desert Ride

Hey Peeps,

I just got back from the Nevada desert with Todd. Great riding and a great job done by Todd finding some "Gold Standard" routes! I got called back for a family matter, but I was able to snap off some footage of my side of the trip. I am going to let Todd do the ride report....special thanks to Todd for helping me pick up The Beast 3-4 times!!! 500 lbs gets heavier every year.

"rocks, sand, mud, clay, ruts, cambers, water crossings, & everything else"
My Pics, Vids, SPOT & Blog
www.santacruzadventureriders.com
50X50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:53 AM   #972
Qwik
Adrenaline Addict

You were movin along out in the Dez Jeffro!
Old 09-20-2010, 04:45 PM   #973
Super Suz
N00b with B00b

Oddometer: 1,556
Thanks for the video JJ, Master of the Editing Software

What next, Mr. T O Double Daring? What next???
Member of the Oakland Motorcycle Club. In town? Come visit us on a Weds night. We love show and tells! Want to speak about your trip or motorcycle topics in the Bay Area of Northern California? We have a club hall. IM me. If you give us enough notice and if we like your topic, you can come and speak. We have room for others to come and listen too.
Super Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 04:50 PM   #974
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Suz
What next, Mr. T O Double Daring? What next???
Great pics and ride report.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 05:25 PM   #975
Just Paul
Pro Cat Herder

Oddometer: 2,092
great video Jeff...

cant wait to see the pics and read the RR...

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
Just Paul is offline   Reply With Quote