ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2010, 11:50 PM   #1051
zeegman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 353
Bones - damage report

Hi All,

had a tough get off (on the easiest damn dirt road out there) on the Yosemite ride last week and fractured my left wrist.

I was not paying attention to the road conditions and high sided after a big rock I did not see going 35mph on a flat level straight dirt road.

Had surgery today - one plate and 12 screws later.

The pretty nurses almost made it worth it.

My lesson - pay attention at all times when on a bike!!

Thanks to all who helped me out - Shawn C, Jeff (50x50), Sean B, and Lawrence B (family offroad adeventures http://www.familyoffroadadventures.com/home.asp) and his family (especially Mathew) who were quick on the scene.

I am reading T O Double D trip reports to speed up healing and dream about the next ride.

PS to Jeff (50x50) - I left an orange and apple in one of my gobi bags so I wonder if you can take it out so we won't see any fuzzy goblins growing in there.

Thanks,Mike Z
zeegman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 04:37 AM   #1052
WoodsChick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeegman
Hi All,

had a tough get off (on the easiest damn dirt road out there) on the Yosemite ride last week and fractured my left wrist.

Thanks,Mike Z
Yikes!! That looks incredibly uncomfortable! I'm sorry you're having to deal with that. I've had hardware before and it is not fun. Heal up quickly!!

WoodsChick

Old 10-02-2010, 07:15 AM   #1053
NWAF
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
Quote:
Hi All,

I was not paying attention to the road conditions and high sided after a big rock I did not see going 35mph on a flat level straight dirt road.

Had surgery today - one plate and 12 screws later.
Sorry to hear about your injuries. A fractured wrist sounds very painful. How long will this take to heal?

We were on the same ride, so I think I know where your accident happened. You were really unlucky to hit a rock on that stretch. The good thing about these organized rides is that help is usually not far behind. I assume Laurence put you in the chase vehicle and drove you to the nearest hospital.

Anyway, here's to a speedy recovery
NWAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 08:50 AM   #1054
T O Double D OP
Pogue Mahone

Oddometer: 930
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodsChick
Hey, Todd! Sorry I missed you guys. One of the riders that was with us (Getagripgreg here) wanted to ride Troll so the two of us tried to get an early start to beat the heat. It got us anyway. How was your ride? It was hotter than the hubs of hell out there, wasn't it?

WoodsChick
Oh yeah we did Troll as well. It was pretty easy on our 950s. Perfect bike for it in all honesty...

Yeah right. I wonder if they'd even fit down the trail!? Anyway we rode the Renz a bit. That was fun, but a real challenge on the water buffalos. Mike, a non ADV member but top notch rider, tried climbing Twin Hill twice. It was so dry he had zero traction and even after hitting it really fast he only got, maybe, a quarter of the way up. The ass end of his bike was sliding all over the place. After watching his first atempt I didn't even bother.

Oh yeah, we found out where the SE is better than the standard Adventure...

It took two of us pulling the front end up while Mike pushed from behind to get his bike through this rut. Good times. It was definatly hot, but there was hardly anybody there... whimps!

Quote:
Hi All,

Damn Mike you just aren't having much luck lately, with your bike over heating and now this. How long before you can ride again?
T O Double D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 12:51 PM   #1055
zeegman
Gnarly Adventurer

Recovery

Hi and thanks for the kind words.

I will probably be out for the rest of this year.

I am already looking at wrist braces for riding protection after this.

Note to NWAF: I was on Buchanan road going to the main paved road for lunch when this happened. Saw a lot of riders on the same road while waiting for sweep truck (Mathew).

Mike Z
Old 10-03-2010, 09:19 AM   #1056
mototifosi
what does this one do?

Oddometer: 493
Nice Titanium !

Broke my wrist (right) in 4 places on a "highside" at Laguna, along with some 6 other breaks and fractures. Do the range of motion, strength and stretching when they clear you to do so, without fail. Yes they hurt, yes they hurt, yes they hurt. Do as much as you can, as often as you can stand it and it will pay off. I have full range of motion, grip strength and no pain. 99% as good as the stock unit. I know this isn't a blanket cure but I'm sure there are some "orthopedics" on this site that will attest.

I liked to do mine with pain killers and red wine, while watching reruns of the Dakar! Didn't hurt as much
!
mototifosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 09:31 AM   #1057
Hotmamaandme
Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer: 2,635
Hang in there

Quote:
Hi and thanks for the kind words.

I will probably be out for the rest of this year.

I am already looking at wrist braces for riding protection after this.

Note to NWAF: I was on Buchanan road going to the main paved road for lunch when this happened. Saw a lot of riders on the same road while waiting for sweep truck (Mathew).

Mike Z
Keep your nose to the grind stone when therapy starts. I broke my tibia and tore my ACL and meniscus in May on an EASY fire road. Same thing looked over my shoulder for my buddy then back front and I was dropping in a rut and that was it tore up leg. IE not paying attention.

So now Im post surgery and therapy gets better every day. Just do what they tell you. It sucks not riding during the prime time.

Jimmy Lewis quote: "Those KLRs are full of potential. Just takes a rider..."
Hotmamaandme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 02:20 PM   #1058
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,007
Blown Shoulder

Five weeks ago yesterday while riding on Kruse Ranch Road in the Rhododendon State Reserve going 15 mph on my GS I rode right into a 2' diameter, 8" deep hole right in the middle of the road. It was 12 o'clock high and the sun was shining straight down into the hole and it blended into the road, no shadow edge to be seen. I was instantly thrown to the ground and landing directly on my right elbow. Force went up to the top of the upper arm bone and shattered right below the ball for my shoulder. Four days later for surgery and the arm is plated and screwed together. Needless to say how much this hurts trying to get some range of motion. Gotta load up on the pain meds prior to exercising. The exercises are really quite breath taking if you know what I mean.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 02:58 PM   #1059
zeegman
Gnarly Adventurer

Share the pain

Hi guys,

thanks for sharing the pain.

Aggressive physio is the way to go having fully recovered from a torn MCL before.

Like some famous dude once said "I'll be back"

BTW does anyone know how to tie up shoes with one hand?

MZ
Old 10-03-2010, 05:44 PM   #1060
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,007
Shoes

Velcro, zipper's or Birkenstock's

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 06:08 PM   #1061
aldonc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
loafers or Vans...

A buddy of mine lost an arm many years ago and rarely wears shoes with laces. The ones he does have some sort of elastic "pull to tighten" lace.
2001 Ducati ST2
aldonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 03:14 PM   #1062
WoodsChick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by T O Double D
Oh yeah we did Troll as well. It was pretty easy on our 950s. Perfect bike for it in all honesty...
Yeah, right...OK, Riceless

Sure wish I'd run into you guys. Troll took longer than anticipated, what with the heat and Greg on a 400. I really wanted to check out rean1mator's 630, too.

WoodsChick

Old 10-04-2010, 11:26 PM   #1063
mototifosi
what does this one do?

Oddometer: 493
Hoof's

Slip on's. Only way to go.

I wasn't so much worried about getting the shoes on as I was trying to clean up after "dropping the kids off at the pool" with the wrong hand!
mototifosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 07:28 PM   #1064
Just Paul
Pro Cat Herder

Oddometer: 2,093
My Buddy Cain and I did this ride. http://www.district37ama.org/dualspo...s/SMTS2010.pdf

600 ish total miles
500 DIRT MILES... yes 500 dirt miles.. if you like dirt this is the ride for you.

This Invite was up on page 1 and this ride was AMAZING

The ride was broken into ADV or Dual Sport with the routes being about 75% different.

4 days of riding
saw places like Cactus Flats, Death valley,
Olancha Dunes, Cerro Gordo, Inyo Mts, White Mts, Coyote Flats, more Inyo
Mts, Alabama Hills, Panamint Vly, and the Slate Range

We had 30 plus creek crossings in 1 day. Visited Saline valley Hot Springs. Almost no back tracking. Total backtracking was less than 45 miles for the entire trip.

If you have ridden with me in the last 8 months email me or pm me and I will share the gpx track with you.

the ride starts in Ridgecrest, then to Lone Pine (hotel stay), then to Bishop (hotel stay), then back to Lone Pine on a totally different route(Hotel Stay), then back to Ridgecrest on a totally different route.

Jerry Carries a bag for each person so you don't have to lug anything but the tools to fix a flat tire and a tube.

weather was perfect.

to do this ride you will need.

1. Excellent ADV rider on a 650 or above with a front and back knobbie
2. Good rider with a plated bike on a 450 to 690 with full knobbies.

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine

Just Paul screwed with this post 10-06-2010 at 12:09 AM
Just Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 08:51 PM   #1065
bikyto
Dans le doute...gaz!

Oddometer: 2,139
wow some beautiful pictures! Thanks for sharing. Seems like a real nice trip.

Where is that hot tub??
bikyto is offline   Reply With Quote