ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2009, 03:49 PM   #121
T O Double D OP
Pogue Mahone

Oddometer: 930
I updated the upcoming ride section on the front page. If you are still interested in this ride we have a descision to make...

A: Do the ride as described camping at Kirk Creek.

B: Camp on the ridge above HWY 1. This will be warmer and dryer. It will also save some gas, as we won't have to back track on Nacimento Ferguson Rd. The draw back to this option is that the camping is primitive. No water, bathrooms, or tables.

I'm easy and we can decide this as we go by vote.

Cheers!
T O Double D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 03:59 PM   #122
T O Double D OP
Pogue Mahone

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3r3r
Todd, how are the roads/trails in there?
Sorry, I didn't see this until just now.

This area is pretty easy. Honestly there's just not a whole lot there, but it's fun to ride through. Just don't expect it to be a destination like Hollister Hills or Clear Creek.
Old 12-21-2009, 04:50 PM   #123
Just Paul
Pro Cat Herder

Oddometer: 2,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian408
I'm just gonna say me and Paul are in. Paul, check with the spousal unit.
I am OUT for the Jan 9th and Jan 10th Ride.. I will be at the Tekin Nationals (rc car racing event)

Plus..
Spanky and I will be in Death Valley from Dec 27th to Dec 31st so I will need a break..

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine

Just Paul screwed with this post 12-22-2009 at 05:28 PM
Just Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 06:26 PM   #124
scottmac
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,496
I'm still planning on it weather permitting.

Either the ridge or the campground is fine with me as long
as there's firewood!

scottmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 12:22 AM   #125
M N B
would rather be riding

Oddometer: 1,108
There are no dates listed on the front page.

Personally, I think we should move all this to separate threads (each ride getting it's own new thread) on SBR or some other local board (as long as it isn't BARF). ADV is a great resource, but it's international, which makes it a lousy place for organizing local rides.
2003 Husqvarna TE610e
1997 BMW K1100LT Special Edition
M N B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 06:16 AM   #126
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Oddometer: 1,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by M N B
Personally, I think we should move all this to separate threads (each ride getting it's own new thread) on SBR or some other local board (as long as it isn't BARF). ADV is a great resource, but it's international, which makes it a lousy place for organizing local rides.
If it goes on SBR, which sub-forum do you use?
Group Rides?
Dirt Riders?
Dual Sport Riders?

What I would suggest is post the ride details there (in whichever group you decide is appropriate), then post a pointer here.
Old 12-22-2009, 06:32 AM   #127
T O Double D OP
Pogue Mahone

Quote:
Originally Posted by M N B

The reason I think putting it into one thread works well is that it's easier to find the info, at least in a crowded place like ADV. If I were to just post up a ride it would get buried quickly, but this way all you have to do is subscribe and you'll know about upcoming rides. It was working pretty well in the old "Monday Rides..." thread, but that confused people with it's title and wasn't organized enough.

As for moving this to another forum there's just not many ADV types on SBR. If it hadn't been for this forum I would've given up meeting anyone to ride with. Also, as you said, ADV is international. I like that people from out of town can look at this thread and join up on a ride. I do like the tools SBR has though. It makes describing a route much easier.

So as for now I'm still gonna try and keep this going. It worked well for the guys in LA and I think it'll be a great thing for us here in the Bay Aea.
Old 12-22-2009, 06:42 AM   #128
T O Double D OP
Pogue Mahone

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrnelson
What I would suggest is post the ride details there (in whichever group you decide is appropriate), then post a pointer here.

I was actualy thinking of doing something like that. It wouldn't be hard to just post them in both forums, and then the tools SBR provides can be used. It just doesn't seem like there's as much interest on SBR.
Old 12-22-2009, 09:56 AM   #129
M N B
would rather be riding

Oddometer: 1,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by T O Double D
The reason I think putting it into one thread works well is that it's easier to find the info, at least in a crowded place like ADV. If I were to just post up a ride it would get buried quickly, but this way all you have to do is subscribe and you'll know about upcoming rides. It was working pretty well in the old "Monday Rides..." thread, but that confused people with it's title and wasn't organized enough.
That's the problem. You can't organize multiple events in a single thread. All the details get buried in the 2743 pages. I never thought the Monday rides thread worked at all.

If each ride had a separate thread here, it would get lost.

SBR may not have many ADV types, but that means it's a perfect place for us to use! With the traffic in the pretty much trafficless Dual Sporting Sub Forum, things would be easy to find.

But anyways, it was just an idea I floated to try to help dissemination of information be smoother.
2003 Husqvarna TE610e
1997 BMW K1100LT Special Edition
M N B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 12:03 PM   #130
r3r3r
Wildebeast

Oddometer: 538
I find that being subscribed, checking the last page, and reading the newer posts keeps me up to date. And, if Todd continues to update the front page with the upcoming rides, this should work pretty well.

It all depends on how many events are going to be posted on here. I'd personally prefer to just have one thread to subscribe to, but if the additional thread links are easy to find in the newer posts then it should work either way...
r3r3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 03:20 PM   #131
Alucard
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Question Google Calendar?

Why don't we just set up a Google Calendar with the link to subscribe to the calendar in the first post?

That way, if new rides are set up, you don't need to check here; you can check your calendar for upcoming rides.

I don't think it supports discussions in the events themselves, but the event description can always include a link to a thread here...

Just a thought.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 03:34 PM   #132
SenorPeligro
Proper Naughty

Oddometer: 1,962

I'm in lurking mode right now. I'm selling my XR650 and my F650 to buy an F800GS. As soon as I get my new ride and some minimal farkles I'll be out riding in a responsible and safe manner.

Video Antics
Where am I Riding?
Baja Blitz Yard Sale
SenorPeligro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 07:29 PM   #133
ramjet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorPeligro

...I'm selling my XR650.... to buy an F800GS...
Sacriledge, Senor! Selling a bike that costs 1/100th to repair and maintain.
. But, then again, maybe getting rid of that kick starter isn't such a bad idea. Good luck with the new bike. I've seen some pretty cool farkles for the 800 too.

Qui Desiderant Pacem Preparate Bellum
ramjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 10:22 AM   #134
SenorPeligro
Proper Naughty

Oddometer: 1,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramjet
Sacriledge, Senor! Selling a bike that costs 1/100th to repair and maintain.
. But, then again, maybe getting rid of that kick starter isn't such a bad idea.
I have the deluxe XR650L edition. With e-start. We had fun in Mexico but it just isn't working out.

Video Antics
Where am I Riding?
Baja Blitz Yard Sale
SenorPeligro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 09:19 AM   #135
RichardBryant
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Hi Desert 250 Jan 30-31

Who is in? Looking for other riders from the Bay Area to share transport. I'll be riding a DRZ400 and doing the dual sport route.
RichardBryant is offline   Reply With Quote