ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2010, 11:32 AM   #16
detailer57
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
My youngest boy, left for Basic in August to Ft Benning. Very hard to see him go. We went to his graduation in October, he is now 21, in some ways he is all man. It is breathtaking seeing you child transform from that kid that never did his chores to a man in uniform.
He is now training in Ft Eustis VA for Avionics Mech.

The oldest has been in the AF for 4 years and is now at Barksdale. He is in itel. Also was hard to let go

They are men, but still our kids. I miss doing all the things with them, off roading, camping, car stuff.

I am very proud of my boys, as you are of your son.

I am also very proud of every "child" that serves and has served in our Armed Forces and keeps us FREE

THANKS
detailer57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 12:52 PM   #17
A.Vern
One Man Wolf Pack

Oddometer: 974
It's hard to believe it's been over 10 years since I started the training pipeline in the Navy...

The next few years will be some great ones. Once he starts deploying, he will have some amazing stories to come home and share with you over a beer.

My son's are 3 and 6... I can't wait till these guys are old enough to join me on the trails.

Your son has picked a great job in the AF, we are truely grateful for those big wing tankers, especially when you're low on fuel and 400 miles from the boat.

I look forward to being one of his customers in the future. Congrats!

Vern

A.Vern screwed with this post 02-12-2010 at 01:18 PM
A.Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 01:51 PM   #18
Crawdaddy OP
Navigate 2 Adventure

Oddometer: 2,224
Thumb Thanks & Cool Photo

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Vern
I look forward to being one of his customers in the future. Congrats!
Likewise......Have fun with your boys and thanks for YOUR service!
http://www.WhereAmIRiding.com
Crawdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 02:06 PM   #19
Strega
Black is a color

Oddometer: 483
Vern you in an F-18D?

Bikes: ['09 KTM 690 RR]['98 KTM 620 Adv]['07 WR 450F]['99 YAM R6]
Support: [Where Am I Riding][Dual Sport Moto][C.O.R.E.][Nomadic Racks][Dual Sport Maps]
Strega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 12:20 AM   #20
A.Vern
One Man Wolf Pack

Oddometer: 974
Nope, F. My backseater took this pic over Afghanistan this last summer.

Sorry Crawdaddy, back on topic...

Congrats to your boy on finishing up basic!
A.Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 07:23 AM   #21
ohiodualsporter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
Its all good. My son and I had to quit riding together 3.5 yrs ago when he went into the Navy. Now he only has 5 mos left! We plan to celebrate his discharge with a trip to Alaska. Two amigos back on the road again.
He did two deployments, but because he was stationed in Norfolk, he was able to have his bikes there too. During his last deployment he saved his money and packages started to arrive at my house. When it was all said and done I had an 8' tall stack of farkles waiting for him to come home at Christmas. The second day he was here, we went over to the dealer and he bought his forst new bike, a new '09 KLR. We brought it home and rolled into the dining room where it was warm and started to put all the stuff on.
It took two days of wrenching and modifications to bring it up to code, but we got it done. (Kawasaki doesn't lube their new bikes, so the whole rear suspension needed to be removed and greased)
Now the bike is almost ready for the Alaskan trip. All he needs now is his discharge papers.
The point is...4 yrs ago I "tempoarily" lost my riding buddy so he could serve his country. Soon he will be back for good, and we can pick up where we left off. (Until college, women and career take over)
It may seem like a long time that he's gone, but its not forever. You two will ride again. Good luck to him.
2008 Kawasaki Versys
1981 Honda Xl500S
!986 Husky 510
!974 Yamaha TY250
1974 Suzuki TC185 Ranger
Too many others....
ohiodualsporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 10:21 AM   #22
JStory
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,651
Congrats, Crawdaddy. Thank you son for his service.

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr Samuel Johnson.
JStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 09:07 AM   #23
Super Suz
N00b with B00b

Oddometer: 1,556
Thanks for sharing in this very touching thread.

SS

And really cool refueling pic too.
Member of the Oakland Motorcycle Club. In town? Come visit us on a Weds night. We love show and tells! Want to speak about your trip or motorcycle topics in the Bay Area of Northern California? We have a club hall. IM me. If you give us enough notice and if we like your topic, you can come and speak. We have room for others to come and listen too.
Super Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 09:34 AM   #24
Crawdaddy OP
Navigate 2 Adventure

Jarrett just finished up his basic aircrew training at Lackland AFB and was awarded his "Wings" on Tuesday of this week (and bump to E3 paygrade/status).......yesterday they put him on a plane to Fairchild AFB near Spokane, WA. for one month of SERE Training

Next stop is Pensacola, FL. for more SERE training then Altus AFB in OK. for ~3-4 months of inflight refueling training......pretty sure he gets a few weeks off after that so we'll be headed to Bass Lake with the bikes ........he's currently scheduled to be deployed at Scott AFB (just outside of St. Louis) once his training is completed.

Crawdaddy screwed with this post 04-02-2010 at 09:51 AM
Old 04-02-2010, 12:21 PM   #25
Crew Dawg Dave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Talking Inside info... and Good training!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdaddy
Jarrett just finished up his basic aircrew training at Lackland AFB and was awarded his "Wings" on Tuesday of this week (and bump to E3 paygrade/status).......yesterday they put him on a plane to Fairchild AFB near Spokane, WA. for one month of SERE Training
You know you might be able to get ahold of his school/instructor and give them some background info on your son. They will use it to great effect and provide some great laughs and it makes the trainging very realistic... Which in the long run might help keep him alive if he needs to use his training. Think Scott O'Grady (F-16 pilot who was shot down in Bosina about 10 - 12 years ago)

Dave

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.
Crew Dawg Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 10:21 PM   #26
Crawdaddy OP
Navigate 2 Adventure

First Flight !

I dropped Jarrett off at the Military Entrance Processing Station (MEPS) on December 8th......a couple of months of basic training, followed by a month or so of survival schools, followed by a few months of training/simulators and LOT'S of studying..........the waiting is finally over........Jarrett made his first flight in a KC135 today......

Comments from the Boy today,

"Today was a good F'n day. Flight one knocked out, Refueled a C-17 made picture perfect contacts. Didn't throw up, although I got quite nauseated in the pattern, Touch and Gos Blowwww. But I thoroughly enjoyed it. I have the coolest job in the world! I fly again Wednesday! It was Awesome!!!!!

Not a bad gig if you can qualify for it/earn it.........and earn it he did, one month before his 19th birthday.........proud of the boy

He'll be back in town for the first time in Sept......I plan on pulling him away from his buds for a day or two so we can head up to Bear Bear with the bikes and make a few more memories.....

Crawdaddy screwed with this post 07-26-2010 at 10:29 PM
Old 07-26-2010, 11:24 PM   #27
kkug
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 957

F800GS
KTM 450 MXC

"Never let the Situation affect you Emotionally. If you do it will have an adverse affect on your ability to make the correct decisions.
kkug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 11:07 AM   #28
AngryScot

Oddometer: 18,316

how proud you must feel!

awesome!

(nice pics Vern)
AngryScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 01:25 PM   #29
Bronco Driver
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
Dad Pride

Thumbs up to you and your son!
I put you in the same class as my racing partner. He has had the honor to ride the Baja 500 and 1000 with his son, and, watch him graduate from college.
If that wasn't enough on the "Dad Pride" meter........About a month ago he flew back to Texas to attend a ceremony at which his son recieved his wings.
He is now a Naval Aviator
Old 07-29-2010, 01:53 PM   #30
cme4lyt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
Please Thank your son for his service ! My family and I sleep well each night because of guys and gals like him.

You should also take a bow; it sounds like he was 'brunged' up right by his Daddy !

Thank You for sharing.
cme4lyt is offline   Reply With Quote