User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2014, 06:18 PM   #1
Camel ADV OP
aka Oso Blanco

Oddometer: 1,317
Replacement fuel pump, non-BMW?

My fuel pump died today while on section 2 of the AZBDR. Thankfully it was close to the road and it didn't leave me stranded in the desert at 115F.

If I can avoid paying $500 for the BMW replacement that will make me very happy. In this thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=577345 the guy installed one from a Hyundai Accent. Anyone know the year? Any other options, part numbers etc are appreciated.

Cory

Proud member of Team Canada for the 2014 BMW GS Trophy

AT-BZ-CA-CN-CO-CR-CZ-CH-FR-DE-GB-GT-HN-IE-JP-KZ-KR-LI-LU-MX-NL-NI-PL-RU-SV-UA-US
Camel ADV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 07:09 PM   #2
Reaver
Trade Parts for Beer

Oddometer: 2,286
Let me look, there's another thread I posted a number of numbers...........
Old 06-04-2014, 07:13 PM   #3
Reaver
Trade Parts for Beer

This thread:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=11
Old 06-04-2014, 07:52 PM   #4
MCMXCIVRS
Begining the Adventure

Oddometer: 1,200
Talk about irony. The guy who brought us the Camel Tank so we won't run out of fuel has fuel issues. Hope you get back on track with your trip quickly Cory.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

2009 BMW F800GS, 2008 BMW K1200GT
MCMXCIVRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 08:56 PM   #5
Camel ADV OP
aka Oso Blanco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post
I bought a pump from Auto Zone but they couldn't match up any of the part numbers from your thread. I winged it and bought 2 different ones from at Hyundai Accent (1995-2001 and 2002- current). They are the same physical size, look identical to the F800 pump but have flat spade connecters for the electrical connection (I believe the BMW's are round). I may have to call a Hyundai or Chevy dealer in the morning with the part numbers you posted and see what they have to offer.

AT-BZ-CA-CN-CO-CR-CZ-CH-FR-DE-GB-GT-HN-IE-JP-KZ-KR-LI-LU-MX-NL-NI-PL-RU-SV-UA-US
Old 06-04-2014, 09:17 PM   #6
Camel ADV OP
aka Oso Blanco

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCMXCIVRS View Post
Talk about irony. The guy who brought us the Camel Tank so we won't run out of fuel has fuel issues. Hope you get back on track with your trip quickly Cory.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
80,000 hard kilometers on the bike, no major repairs, I was due for something. Had I ran out of gas, that would be funny

Old 06-04-2014, 11:11 PM   #7
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,487
http://www.highflowfuel.com/i-892784...2006-2014.html
Old 06-05-2014, 01:31 AM   #8
Camel ADV OP
aka Oso Blanco

The BMW connectors are actually flat spades so the pump from Auto Zone fit. Swapped it in the hotel parking lot. Bike starts and runs. Loaded, working hard in the 110-115f heat tomorrow will be the real test. The biggest concern I have is that the new pump's high pressure outlet doesn't have barbs like the original unit, it's smooth. The hard plastic fuel line doesn't bite like a rubber hose would. I've got it double clamped so fingers crossed that it holds.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Old 06-05-2014, 03:13 AM   #9
Strawdog
Strawdog

Oddometer: 91
Check put this You Tube video for alternate fuel pump replacement

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAVY...ature=youtu.be
Strawdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 09:23 AM   #10
Reaver
Trade Parts for Beer

Good to hear you're rolling again. I knew you didn't have time to order the one in the link I PM'd but it would make great spare for the future. Your pump may have died from a partially blocked filter so that'll need checking as well when you make it home.

Good luck.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:58 AM   #11
Camel ADV OP
aka Oso Blanco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post
Good to hear you're rolling again. I knew you didn't have time to order the one in the link I PM'd but it would make great spare for the future. Your pump may have died from a partially blocked filter so that'll need checking as well when you make it home.

Good luck.
I agree. Id like to have a spare control module too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawdog View Post
Check put this You Tube video for alternate fuel pump replacement

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAVY...ature=youtu.be
I'll have a look when I can, we currently have the slowest internet I've come across in years.

Cory

Old 06-05-2014, 04:27 PM   #12
Full Power
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,420
Glad to hear you are up and running Cory.
sourcing a succesful replacement pump from a conventional retail auto parts house is a feat.
When you get home, or have time, consider removing the in-tank fuel filter cartridge, and installing a metal cased inline filter outside the fuel tank, close to the injectors. should be plenty room on your Canadian model, with an empty quart of space where the Charcoal Can would go.
Old 06-06-2014, 07:51 PM   #13
Camel ADV OP
aka Oso Blanco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Power View Post
Glad to hear you are up and running Cory.
sourcing a succesful replacement pump from a conventional retail auto parts house is a feat.
When you get home, or have time, consider removing the in-tank fuel filter cartridge, and installing a metal cased inline filter outside the fuel tank, close to the injectors. should be plenty room on your Canadian model, with an empty quart of space where the Charcoal Can would go.
More sputtering and dying yesterday and today even with the new pump. Back flushed the factory filter and filled a one liter water bottle with fuel the color of Guinness. I held it up to the sun and couldn't see light through it. Even after several cycles of tapping lightly with a screw driver, flushing and back blowing through it it was still hard to get air through.

Limped it to middle of nowhere Arizona and found a parts store. I bought one metal filter, one plastic clear filter, hose, clamps, fuel injection cleaner (likely a waste of money but I'm willing to try it). Cut the factory line, installed the clear filter so I could keep an eye on the color and if it dies again I can see if there's fuel in it. Now of course just because there's fuel visible doesn't mean there's adequate pressure but just looking for clues at this point. The factory filter is kind of integrated into the delivery system and although there is a small stub that I could attach the hose from the pump to if I removed the filter, I'm not confident that there's enough there for the hose and clamp to bite to and stay on. I know others have done it with success but it's not something I want to test on the road. I decide to simply punch a hole through the middle of the filter which bypasses it's clogged pleats and means it can left in place as a dummy filter.

After punching the hole, I fired the bike up and the clear filter immediately filled with the same Guinness colored fuel. I pulled the hose off, stuck it in a 1 liter pop bottle and cranked the bike. Again I almost filled the bottle with dirty fuel. Once it started running clear I re-attached and changed the inline filter to the metal one. I'll buy a few more filters tomorrow and change them periodically over the trip. Hopefully this have the issue solved, all the stopping and messing around with my bike is getting tiresome. Been riding 3 days and are barely half way through the AZBDR.

Old 06-06-2014, 08:37 PM   #14
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,471
Bummer..... remember to techron or foam it ad you get into northern nm..... and colorado. When are you projecting going through the silverton area.

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 09:29 PM   #15
Stephenmarklay
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 236
What a drag. Figures just when you take long distance trip it buggers up on you.
Stephenmarklay is online now   Reply With Quote