User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2009, 03:08 PM   #1
Motorman OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 492
HID Headlight Conversion For Airhead???

Couldn't find anything conclusive with a search. Has anyone tried this? How did it work? Did it help seeing or being seen???

Thanks,

Lightaddicted
Motorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 05:05 PM   #2
RecycledRS
Along for the ride

Oddometer: 1,036
Try this for starters http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188885

RecycledRS screwed with this post 12-04-2009 at 07:38 PM
RecycledRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 05:20 PM   #3
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy

Oddometer: 7,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecycledRS

Linking to PM's isn't allowed, If I'm guessing right.

Steve McQueen

Bigger Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 05:38 PM   #4
opposedcyljunkie
Heavyweight Boxer

Oddometer: 4,779
I did it before. Search for my thread

Was never happy with it.
05 Yamaha Fazer FZS-1000
07 R1200GS
opposedcyljunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 05:55 PM   #5
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,948
I did it.. and was quite pleased. I still am! I bought a car kit for about 80 bucks off ebay, so I have a backup. It really brightened things up! But, it take time to get used to the color change. Get one as close to 5000K as you can. I've heard of a few people having theirs crap out at bad times, but I also heard if you externally ground the ballast it will help out with failure.
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 02:26 PM   #6
Cigars&Scotch
My eyes are up here

Oddometer: 1,829
Both me and my buddy have them on GSPD. Mine has been on for over 3 yrs, love it and ZERO issues!!

Between it an the TT HID light, I can light up the night real nice

"Why don't you buy some flea collars for your ankles so the ants wont climb up you leg and bite your candy ass!!!" Kennyanc 07 H.Springs

38 BMW R71 w/sidecar Kung Fu version
77 BMW R90S Huh ?
90 BMW R100GS/PD "At last!"

NRA Life Member, Trout Unlimited Life Member
Drink till I'm Drunk Life Member
Cigars&Scotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 02:54 PM   #7
bmwblake
upside down parker

Oddometer: 3,277
i loved the amount of light from the HID, but my cheap one didn't do hi/low so i was always offending people. i could never get the perfect spot between acceptable light while in the city and the higher angle i need for riding in the middle of nowhere.

at the moment i've gone back to a halogen to have a hi/low beam again and am investigating an HID driving light to supplement.
bmwblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 03:34 PM   #8
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,948
Rick at Motorrad...

Told me he was looking into carrying a HID hi/low for around 100 bucks. That seems like a good option.
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 04:23 PM   #9
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,343
Read the thread in my sig line. I put one in and converted back when it failed in the middle of the night... in the rain... and fog. While it worked it was a LOT of light, probably too much. I couldn't ride around at night without getting highbeams flashed at me constantly.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 10:19 PM   #10
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,231
I got rid of mine because it was too bright and had no low. Yeah the other folks can't do anything about it but I don't like being a jerk. I ended up mounting extra lights on the crashbar and mounting a switch so I can flick them on and off.

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 05:15 AM   #11
StephenB
G(/)S ... what else!

Oddometer: 2,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler
I couldn't ride around at night without getting highbeams flashed at me constantly.
What's wrong with that? At least you know you've been seen! For us motorcyclists there isn't a thing like too much light. I am sorry guys how can you complain about too much light and people flashing at you at night!? Be glad, be very happy and ride on!

I have a single beam set with the extra slim ballast in an aftermarket 7" headlight and and 2 x 20W halogen lamps as attention getters. Set the HID up as a low beam but tilted slightly higher. Don't have a high beam anymore, don't need it with that kind of setup. Would never go back to that H4 candle light!
I am very happy that I am recognized during the day and have a very good visibility at night:

However, I am still riding as if I was invisible ...

Have 2 seasons on the HID setup, no issues. Bought 2 HID replacement bulbs for a song at the same time I bought the complete set, so with a spare slim ballast and 3 HID replacement bulbs I am good for 10 years or more!

Some of the above is fact, some is fiction, some is my personal imagination and some is just simple truth. [me]

... i'm not touring around the world, but neither are most of the guys i see running overloaded spam cans ... [bmwblake]

Stephen Bottcher
Ontario, Canada

'72 R75/5 The Blues

www.stephenbottcher.net

StephenB screwed with this post 12-06-2009 at 06:46 AM
StephenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 02:18 PM   #12
bmwblake
upside down parker

for me, being seen and annoying the crap out of every vehicle around me are 2 very different things. my commute takes me by the local police precinct. i'd rather not have a chat with those guys about how visible i am.

i'll go back to HID when i get something that can be contained properly. maybe a hi/low setup would work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenB
What's wrong with that? At least you know you've been seen! For us motorcyclists there isn't a thing like too much light. I am sorry guys how can you complain about too much light and people flashing at you at night!? Be glad, be very happy and ride on!
Old 12-06-2009, 03:16 PM   #13
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,231
if I ever have money I don't mind wasting on something unnecessary I'll put HIDs in my aux lights. anybody know if there's any reason why you can't turn them on an off like an incandescent?

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 03:37 PM   #14
StephenB
G(/)S ... what else!

Oddometer: 2,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwblake
i'd rather not have a chat with those guys about how visible i am.
Where's your creativity? What happened to " Oh, sorry, Officer, it it just misaligned as I was working on it this morning. I'll fix it right away!" or something along those. I have the single beam adjust slightly higher than low beam and nobody gets hurt. You still have visibility at night like never before. You already had one installed, so you know its power. I have not been stopped in 2 years with either my red flashing brakelights or because somebody thought my headlight was too bright.

Think about all those Left turning cages that didn't see you and forced you to brake or worst case caused a lethal accident. A bit of blinding light would have surely helped. Also, when you're behind him/her they have the adjustable rear view mirror for guys like us.

Some of the above is fact, some is fiction, some is my personal imagination and some is just simple truth. [me]

... i'm not touring around the world, but neither are most of the guys i see running overloaded spam cans ... [bmwblake]

Stephen Bottcher
Ontario, Canada

'72 R75/5 The Blues

www.stephenbottcher.net
StephenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 06:17 PM   #15
bmwblake
upside down parker

i wish that would work around here.

the power from the HID is awesome. i just wanted to give a bit of the negative experience i had with the single beam kit. i have some HID driving lights on the christmas list. we'll see if the wife comes thru. (no she doesn't read this).

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenB
Where's your creativity? What happened to " Oh, sorry, Officer, it it just misaligned as I was working on it this morning. I'll fix it right away!" or something along those. I have the single beam adjust slightly higher than low beam and nobody gets hurt. You still have visibility at night like never before. You already had one installed, so you know its power. I have not been stopped in 2 years with either my red flashing brakelights or because somebody thought my headlight was too bright.

Think about all those Left turning cages that didn't see you and forced you to brake or worst case caused a lethal accident. A bit of blinding light would have surely helped. Also, when you're behind him/her they have the adjustable rear view mirror for guys like us.