Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2009, 12:06 PM   #16
Mr. Average
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Fantastic! Made my day. Thanks for posting.

A. Cross
Mr. Average is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 06:19 AM   #17
DisTech
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 616
Awesome RR, can't wait for more!

PS: I snapped up that Buckley DR350S!
Old 12-13-2009, 09:26 PM   #18
RAGBrian
jonesing for a ride

Oddometer: 938
Next Guest...would you sign in please!

Subscribed! Oh and taking notes, too. One of these days, I'm outta here and headin' south.

Old 12-13-2009, 10:59 PM   #19
srad600
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 621
Great shots, I spent a few weeks in Zipolite y Mazunte....some of your beach pic's totally took me back.

srad600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 03:51 PM   #20
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,327
TEXT ONLY UPDATE:

We just hopped a sailboat from Puerto Lindo Panama to Turbo, Colombia. Photos will be coming as soon as we find a good internet connection, probably in Medellin or Bogota. So far, Colombia hasn´t shown itself to be the ¨the wretched hive of scum and villainy¨that many of the doomsayers claim it to be, in fact quite the opposite - lots of very helpful, friendly people who are really interested in what we´re doing, much more so than in any other place we´ve been so far. The scenery is also pretty breathtaking. Tomorrow we´ll hit some mountains, so I expect that to only get better. More later, including photos.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 05:24 PM   #21
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickerbush
This one sure looks a lot like the Eastern Washington.
Same shit, different toilet: northern Nevada, about 80 miles north of Gerlach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisTech
PS: I snapped up that Buckley DR350S!
Wise decision. Prepare to have too much fun. Good to hear from you. Tell all the ¨boys in blue¨ that I say hey.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Old 12-14-2009, 05:50 PM   #22
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil

Okay, you gotta tell the story of why that red-headed guy was getting his hands bandaged. Oh, and why you were shooting a rifle with bayonet in a motorcycle jacket.
The redheaded guy was riding with one glove so he could take photos while riding. He was taking photos and not paying quite enough attention to the road and hit a rock in the middle of the road about the size of a brick doing 60mph. That was enough to make his front tire go flat pretty instantly, the bead came unseated, he instinctively pulled his front brake to slow down and bad turn into really bad pretty quickly. He went down, slid about 50 feet on asphalt, enough to wear completely through the seat of his rallye 2 pants, take most of the skin off his bare hand and break his wrist on the other side. He was able to limp himself and his bike with the help of someone else far enough to get to a hospital where he got patched up well enough to get back on the road again. He caught up with me around Acapulco, and rode with me and a couple other guys until Tuxtla Gutierrez where he and and our British member split off and headed for Belize when I went for Guatemala with ze german. He´s been going slower than the rest of us and I haven´t seen him or the Brit since. As for firing a rifle in a riding jacket, do I really need a reason to behave in such a way? Anyway that´s not me, that´s our frenchman.

Quote:
where was this picture taken?

and where's the river crossing? I'm assuming they're related
That´s Sumidero Canyon just south of Tuxtla Gutierrez in Chiapas. The owner of the event hall where we crashed for free for a couple of days, pictured above, also owned a boat tour company and gave us all a ride up the canyon in one of his boats. Really cool scenery, yeah, a little touristy, but hell - why not? The river crossing was a different river between mexico and Guatemala at Fronterra Corozal (sp?) straight west of Tikal.

Old 12-14-2009, 06:15 PM   #23
Jedi5150
Road Warrior

Oddometer: 558
Wow!

Absolutely awesome ride report so far! Your photography skills are outstanding. Thanks!
Jedi5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 06:15 PM   #24
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,221
I've come so close to wrecking while taking pictures it's not funny. I'll try not to do that from now on.

thanks for the info. I'll check those spots out next summer. oooh I can't wait to see my bike in a canoe! I'll feel like a real advrider!

How'd 6 guys from across the world happen to be doing this at the same time anyways? Was this planned or dumb luck?

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 10:19 PM   #25
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

Quote:
How'd 6 guys from across the world happen to be doing this at the same time anyways? Was this planned or dumb luck?
I planned to do this trip with a couple of my friends for about 2 years now. I did a trip up to Alaska a year and a half ago where I met the frenchman and travelled with him for a while as he was on an airhead too. I told him about my plans for South America and coincidentally he already had similar plans. Add one more to the group. Months later he swung by my house on his way down the west coast and we went to the local beemer dealership to buy some parts for his bike. We got to talking with the parts manager there and he said he wanted to hear more about it over some beers. One thing led to another and we gained another member. Now we were up to 5. A month before the trip Austin Vince, of Mondo Enduro fame, was staying with the latest member to join the group as he was giving a presentation in town. At that presentation was a brit on his way around the world who had taken a city bus about an hour out of Seattle to see the presentation because his bike still hadn't cleared customs. By the end of the show the buses had stopped running and he asked Austin if he knew how he could get back to town. Austin said his host could give him a ride which turned into him crashing at my house for a couple weeks fixing his bike. He hit the road heading South about two weeks before us and we caught up with him in San Blas, Mexico. To make matters worse, we've recently gained a South African. Anyway, enough talk. Here's the meat:

Airhead Wrangler screwed with this post 12-15-2009 at 10:49 PM
Old 12-16-2009, 04:30 PM   #26
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,221
so damn cool

that blue DR looks like it's about to lose its boxes.

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 04:44 PM   #27
DisTech
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 616
Fantastic, keep it coming! I alert the cube farm every time you have an update.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:44 PM   #28
yamalama
wet coaster

Oddometer: 1,078
Any chance of seeing the Yamaha XT set-ups?
Great report.
yamalama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 09:16 PM   #29
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

Quote:
that blue DR looks like it's about to lose its boxes.
That's actually an XT belonging to the german. Those tweaked cases are due to a couple of unplanned get-offs in Mongolia. He's 7 months into a RTW trip. They look pretty rickety, but surprisingly they're rock solid.

Old 12-16-2009, 11:23 PM   #30
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,576
Maybe I missed it but what boat did you use to cross the gap? Looked like a decent one with lots of deck space. Would you recommend it?