User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2010, 10:51 PM   #91
83GSer
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Wow! well I'm taking the same trip in October on a R80 G/S

Well i have to admit. Reading your blog makes me a little worried about my bike choice. I have an R80 G/S that I have had completely rebuilt with a few mods. Big alt, beefed up front shocks everything else R80 Stock. Anything you've learned from the road you would do differently or can advise a fellow R80 G/Ser before he hits the road and can still do some key improvements before he hits the road.
83GSer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 11:48 PM   #92
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by 83GSer
Well i have to admit. Reading your blog makes me a little worried about my bike choice. I have an R80 G/S that I have had completely rebuilt with a few mods. Big alt, beefed up front shocks everything else R80 Stock. Anything you've learned from the road you would do differently or can advise a fellow R80 G/Ser before he hits the road and can still do some key improvements before he hits the road.
Replace as many oil seals as you can before the trip, especially if they're original. Pushrod tube seals, rear main seal, final drive seal especially. Bring spare spokes and fork seals/wipers. If I had done all that stuff, I wouldn't have had any real problems, except for blowing my shock, but that was just bad luck - a rock got through the coil and chipped the chrome off the shaft which could've happened on any bike. While some of the dirt sections have me envying my companions on lighter thumpers with better suspension, I'm glad to have a silky smooth engine for all the pavement. They've each had a chance to ride my bike and they've hated me ever since. They've been getting vibrated to pieces for 20,000 miles now. Given the chance, I'd bring the same bike again in a heartbeat.

Edit: Also, I'd consider changing out your rear shock for something a little heavier duty than the OEM unit.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.

Airhead Wrangler screwed with this post 03-17-2010 at 01:00 AM
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 06:39 AM   #93
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler
Edit: Also, I'd consider changing out your rear shock for something a little heavier duty than the OEM unit.
and adding a neoprene shock cover as well perhaps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 06:41 PM   #94
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLO LOBO
and adding a neoprene shock cover as well perhaps?
Ha ha. Very funny. ...but yeah, not a bad idea. Speaking of which, I FINALLY received my new shock from Fedex today and I'll be back on the road again. I'll be heading north via a combination of ruta 40 and the caretera austral. Wooooooo hooooooooo!!!!

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:13 PM   #95
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,623
Quote:
Ha ha. Very funny. ...but yeah, not a bad idea. Speaking of which, I FINALLY received my new shock from Fedex today and I'll be back on the road again. I'll be heading north via a combination of ruta 40 and the caretera austral. Wooooooo hooooooooo!!!!

There's always the famous tee-shirt material crap, dirt and rock deflector !

Quote:
I FINALLY received my new shock from Fedex today and I'll be back on the road again. I'll be heading north via a combination of ruta 40 and the caretera austral. Wooooooo hooooooooo!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 02:36 PM   #96
nightflyer
Hors contrôle

Oddometer: 103
see you in Santiago

Spencer,

good luck with your new shock man! Hope you will make it all the way to the end with this one...

And stop pissing in those sinks... that is not ecotouristic at all!!!
nightflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 07:40 PM   #97
83GSer
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Thanks and I had all the seals replaced as I rebuilt from the frame up with a progressive rear shock as a replacement. We'll see you on the road with any luck as I leave south from the Napa Valley in October!
83GSer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 02:55 PM   #98
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,585
Just found this thread a couple of days ago. You guys are awesome!!! Thanks for sharing.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:09 PM   #99
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflyer
And stop pissing in those sinks...
If they had given me a toilet I would have been more than happy to use it. It was their fault... not mine.

Old 03-25-2010, 08:52 PM   #100
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,284
Quote:
They've been getting vibrated to pieces for 20,000 miles now.
I love the DR650 but this is THE reason why I got a G/S over another thumper.

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 12:51 PM   #101
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,284

Marijuana must be cheap down there if the pipes are that big. That bowl is huge! No wonder you were so hungry

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 06:54 AM   #102
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

Well this should be the last post for quite some time. We're in Valparaiso Chile waiting for the bikes to ship to Baltimore. They're all crated up and possibly on a ship at this point, so we're off the road for now. In a few weeks we'll start riding across the states back to Seattle. Here are all the pics from Ushuaia up to Valparaiso via Ruta 40 and the Carretera Austral. Enjoy.

You can just barely see it, but here's a photo of a Rea, a big ostrich-like bird. Unfortunately they're really skittish and it's tough to get your camera out in time to take a photo.

Lots of wide open flatness with a few lakes thrown in here and there. If you look closely there are some mountains in the background. The wind out here is enough to literally blow you off the road. Pretty scary stuff.

Here's the Perito Moreno glacier just west of El Calafate. Definitely worth a trip.

More wide open Ruta 40:

Heading over the border and into the mountains toward the Carretera Austral:

Then it turned to dirt again:

In Bariloche Steve was awarded the "Douche Bag Award for Excellence in the Field of Motorcycling" for several spectacular crashes along the Carretera Austral, which, unfortunately, I did not get to witness. The award is passed around our group whenever someone crashes or does something stupid.

Skip forward a couple days and 700 miles to San Antonio, a very large and particularly stinky port town just South of Valparaiso. Earthquake damage was pretty dramatic all the way up Chile. Bridges were still out everywhere and the main highways were still pretty cracked up.

Here is what the teeth on your throttle gear are supposed to look like:

Here is what they are NOT supposed to look like:

Yikes. Those were just about to go completely. It's a good thing the bikes are going into boxes:

All done.

One stinky dirty sea lion down at the port:

Later that day we met two germans with a few screws loose. One of them was travelling on this R45 painted army green with all military surplus luggage, wearing a full german army uniform. This thing had open pipes and was loud as hell. Yes, the seat is made of plywood. No, there is no cushion. Just plywood.

Airhead Wrangler screwed with this post 04-03-2010 at 07:34 AM
Old 04-03-2010, 07:16 AM   #103
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil
No wonder you were so hungry
That's not me. That's Steve. He's drinking mate (mahhh-tay). You'll see it everywhere when you come down this way.

Airhead Wrangler screwed with this post 04-03-2010 at 07:38 AM
Old 04-03-2010, 07:39 AM   #104
igormortis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,220
Quote:
Later that day we met two germans with a few screws loose. One of them was travelling on this R45 painted army green with all military surplus luggage, wearing a full german army uniform. This thing had open pipes and was loud as hell. Yes, the seat is made of plywood. No, there is no cushion. Just plywood.

Where to begin...?
igormortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 08:08 AM   #105
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by igormortis
Where to begin...?
Notice the STEEL bashplate welded straight to the frame? He put a hole in his sump in Bolivia (sound familiar?) and had a local welder weld a plate of steel to the bottom of his frame. Now he can't get the sump off without removing the engine from the frame. He can only just barely change the oil filter without having to move the engine. He also barely has any ground clearance left because the bashplate rides so low. He said he scrapes it on stuff all the time, even on speed bumps, but that it doesn't really matter. Those guys were seriously not all there.