Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2010, 11:46 AM   #106
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Would have loved to see the guy in his uniform! I'd send it to a friend at OTL magazine! Bet his outfit went over really well at borders and military check points! Sounds like a good way to get arrested! (or shot!)

The bike looks more modern than an R45. Disc brake, R100R valve covers,
R100 switchgear on handlebars. Probably a weird mishmash of various BMW parts?

Hope you guys have a great time in Chile. Good luck with the cross country ride. Should be cake compared to what you've been through!

Shiny Side UP!!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 12:44 PM   #107
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter
The bike looks more modern than an R45. Disc brake, R100R valve covers,
R100 switchgear on handlebars. Probably a weird mishmash of various BMW parts?
Nope, they sold the R45 in Europe up through 1985. The bike is pretty much stock except for the "seat," luggage rack, exhaust and GIANT heinrich tank.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 03:54 PM   #108
igormortis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,188
It's continuing to boggle my mind... I always wondered what kind of person bought the R45s.
igormortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 06:58 PM   #109
BlindPew
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Quote "Later that day we met two germans with a few screws loose. One of them was travelling on this R45 painted army green with all military surplus luggage, wearing a full german army uniform."

Living in Europe you see this on occasion. I ran into 4 German fellows in northern Italy crossing the Passo de Tremalso, above Lago de Gardia. They were riding 1943 R 75 sidecar outfits with passengers and all wearing the old German Army regalia which included the metal helmets and the MG 34 machine gun mounted on the sidecar. The outfits where detailed down to the TAC signs of the original Regiments. With my broken German and their broken English I found that they where getting a feel for how tough the soldiers had it during WW2. Not invading Italy as I first suspected. And having fun at the same time, which was apparent when the schnapps was passed around. This Passo is pretty rough and is an old military road. N Italy has many of these old high mountain passes which are great to ride and suit dual sport bikes. Germans like to have "Experiences". I'm not sticking up for this guy but it sounds like he is having an "experience" at all cost. By the look of his wood grained saddle it sounds and looks like he has masochistic tendencies as well. It takes all types to spin this world!!!!!

"WE live in a wonderful world that is full of beauty, charm, and adventure. There is no end to the adventures that we can have if only we seek them with our eyes open." - Jawaharlal
BlindPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 05:05 PM   #110
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,204
I hate the BMW throttle with a passion. I've invented cuss words because of that thing. How does the airhead BMW, the model of simplicity, have such a complicated device to perform the simplest of tasks?

I've got a straight-pull throttle I'm putting on. I'll need to solder a new cable stop on. I'm going to make up a few spares of the cable just in case.

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 03:04 AM   #111
Caddy82rats
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,132
Fantastic report thanks !
Caddy82rats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 02:53 PM   #112
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,282
Alright. Time to wrap this one up. I've been back in Seattle for a couple of weeks now after riding from Baltimore through the south, down to Mexico, back up the rockies, west through Idaho and Oregon and north again to Seattle. Not a whole lot of cool riding photos from along the way, but here's the last batch. In the 5500 miles I rode across the country, only about 200 miles were interstate, so it was interesting almost the whole way. All in all a great trip, ranging from incredible fun to sheer agony and everything in between, it's been one hell of a ride and definitely worth quitting a job for. Here I sit, broke and unemployed, but ever so satisfied.

I last left off in Valparaiso Chile. From there we took a bus to Santiago where we hung out for a week before flying back to the states. Steve and I flew up to Maine to visit a friend from Seattle who moved back home to Maine a year ago. Colin flew to Baltimore, his hometown and where the bikes were headed, to crash with his parents and visit some old friends.

Upon our arrival in Maine, we were met with a massive seafood feed consisting of lobster, bacon wrapped scallops, mussels, oysters, crabcakes and some vegetable kebabs. Not a bad way to reintroduce yourself to the US - lots of feeding.

And a little bit of bacon for good measure...

Then we spent the night up north at a wooden boat workshop...

I then hopped a bus down to Boston to visit an old childhood friend and ended up staying in the coolest bedroom of the trip...

Then down to New York for a week to visit a friend from highschool and my sister over in Brooklyn...

and the place where she works...

Steve met up with me in New York and we hopped a Chinatown bus down to Baltimore to meet up with Colin. Colin used to work at Bob's BMW just to the south in Jessup and was able to convince Bob to give us a tour of his personal bike collection in a warehouse down the road from the dealership. It CERTAINLY didn't leave anything to be desired.

An original Africa Corp bike complete with MG39 machinegun:

I had no clue these things were two-wheel drive

An R100R that Gary Nixon raced

And then a bunch of run of the mill stuff...

Hmmm... That G/S sure is clean

Oh that's why. (Yes that is the actual mileage)

Lo and behold, a red R80ST. This guy DOES have good taste.

One freakish /2 chopper

Then a couple days later I got MY bike back... good to see it, but pretty underwhelming after seeing all that stuff.

I hit the road heading south and stopped at Datchew's place in SC. He sent me on my way after a generous helping of homebrew and some bottling lessons. Thanks again, datchew.

A day after leaving datchew's I needed to take up some play in the new steering head bearings I installed in Baltimore, but I didn't have a 30mm socket. Neither did Lowes. They did have a big ass crescent wrench and a very lenient return policy, so I bought it, made the adjustment in their parking lot, got my money back and hit the road not a penny lighter. I have no problem abusing big box stores.

Some bad tornado damage in Alabama

God help the South

Rolling across some boring Texas oil fields

I met up with Roadsacallin for lunch in Taos NM and got some great ideas from his bike for ways to squander my income. He has one COOL bike.

I then wheeled up to Denver to visit a friend from Seattle who had just moved down there

Ben made me one hell of a breakfast

Then I rolled south to Colorado Springs and paid Infracaninophile a visit

Yes, his bike really IS as clean as it looks in the photos. Maybe even cleaner actually.

Thanks again for the hospitality, Tom!

I continued south through Colorado...

To visit an old friend in Santa Fe for a few days

Luke made me some mean huevos rancheros

I pointed myself north again for Jackson WY for a friend's bachelor party. He had no idea I was going to show up. I'd told him months before that I wouldn't be able to make it, but rolled in unannounced.

Hot dam!

The rockies just south of Jackson

Somewhere in Idaho...

That's all. I'm home. Not much more to report. I hope you enjoyed following the trip. Until the next one...

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.

Airhead Wrangler screwed with this post 06-18-2010 at 05:14 PM
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 06:13 PM   #113
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,679
Aww, Spencer...

I am sure you are bummed to be back in the real world, but...you got to do something that a lot of us will never be able to do!!!! Be proud, and think fondly of the last 6 months. Great report! Can't wait to see the list of do's and don't's. Were glad you're back, safe and sound, in one piece!
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 07:14 PM   #114
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,204
incredible! I tell people about you getting a hole in your sump in the salt flats all the time. That's one heckuva good story.

I just back from Newfoundland last week and you've already got me itching to hit the road again. Being stationary sucks!

I hope you didn't drink up all Matt's homebrew. That's my job

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 12:00 AM   #115
England-Kev
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,362
Thanks for taking us along Spencer, loved it all.
England-Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 05:18 PM   #116
Jamie

Oddometer: 1,219
Excellent report! I think you've earned the adv sticker on your pannier.
Jamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:24 AM   #117
Gimmeslack
furthur

Oddometer: 2,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie
Excellent report! I think you've earned the adv sticker on your pannier.
And I think i'll go take mine off!

"If you hold a cat by the tail, you learn things you cannot learn any other way."

Twain
Gimmeslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:46 AM   #118
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,359
This adventure has it all:

Penguins, holed oil pans alone in a desolate high desert... and Tom freekin Jones.

I'm not worthy!

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 11:40 AM   #119
Beater
Blinded by Science

Oddometer: 2,884
Amazing. Congrats on the trip ... I can't wait to quit my job now
Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 08:36 AM   #120
dieselcruiserhead
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,212
Just spent most of yesterday and some of this morning reading this thread... Awesome! What a read...

dieselcruiserhead is offline   Reply With Quote