Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2009, 10:04 AM   #31
Rick West
Function not Farkles

Oddometer: 1,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264
There are much cheaper alternatives that offer the same level of protection and features.
Can you show me which jacket and pants have the same features.
Rick West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 10:42 AM   #32
AlanCT
The Byronic Man

Oddometer: 3,321
This seems like the ultimate for Dakar/Baja - type rally riders. The gear whore in me is enthralled.

Utterly unsuitable for me and my riding, though.
IBA #23064
AlanCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 12:55 PM   #33
dwayne
Silly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapp555
I could buy a nicely kitted DS for that! Certainlya DR or a KLR. That price is ludicrous! Thats $2366 USD!!
Jeeze, while the straight up conversion is 2366, the reason why so many of us shop in the states is that gear comes in even lower than the straight conversion. a $360 Bushwacker jacket in Canada in USD, in the states in USD is about $250. If the cross boarder difference holds true that suit would come in closer to $1500 - $1800 USD. And yes that is still a more expensive suit, and still good value, from what I see.

A "Day" of Dirt Biking Rockies East Slopes
High and Dry Colorado and Utah

"When your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail"
dwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 12:59 PM   #34
osteo OP
Motion is Life

Oddometer: 1,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse
Looks like a very nice suit. It has 'long' sizes for the pants? Me likey.
Yup, the pants come in Long as well.

Who really knows how well a piece of gear will hold up in a get off? as every incident is different. I know the material is much thicker than most of the stuff I have had in the past, so I'm confident in it.

D

Rally Connex Adventures
Off-Road Adventures
Make It Stick Media

Adventure Has No Destination

08' KTM 450 EXC - The Half Beast -
04' Yamaha TTR250 (for the wife)
osteo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 06:12 PM   #35
everywherevirtually
In Omnibus Caritas

Oddometer: 186
Quote:
How fitting the guy is sitting on a Beemer

I'm sure it's a beautiful bit of kit but one good off and it's knackered. There are much cheaper alternatives that offer the same level of protection and features.
I think not. Craig bounds wore it in the Dakar this year. He had a broken sternum from a previous off before the Dakar and his internal organs had been displaced. So if nothing else it held him together in one piece.

It has D30 armour that is soft in normal use and the turns solid on impact. After the impact it returns to it's soft and flexible self again. There is a lot of science gone into this jacket

everywherevirtually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 11:06 PM   #36
newengland_gs_in_tx
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
get some hot weather gear ...

"Moving to San Antonio this summer. Frozen tundra this winter, then TX summer. Should be fun"

xcgate ...

i did the new england to houston relocate about 6 yrs ago ... man it's tough ... it's hot riding down here in the summer heat & humidity. i'm trawling gear threads tonight because i've been suffering on summer rides with my 2 piece 'stich for too long. may have to find an xmas present for myself that's lighter/cooler/better vented (but it ain't gonna be a $2000+ solution!).

best of luck in the move and getting aclimated - took me a couple years.

negsntx
R90/7 still out there somewhere
newengland_gs_in_tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 02:53 AM   #37
wonky
Team F5 !

Oddometer: 471
Quote:
I'm sure it's a beautiful bit of kit but one good off and it's knackered. There are much cheaper alternatives that offer the same level of protection and features.
there is nothing like this suit.

All the other 'cheaper alternatives' are the same generic textile 'motorbike riding suit' with an 'adventure style' applied to them.

this suit is cut like off-road gear and designed 100% with riding function in mind.

You need to try it in the flesh. We've had a few people (like Osteo's wife) justifying the price to US having tried it on. If you look at the price of a top end skiing/mountainerring jacket it doesnt look bad!

With regard to toughness, the early prototypes had the bobbley substance Osteo described (Superfabric, epoxy balls bonded to the shell) on the inner legs. This stuff is so tough it was RUBBING THROUGH THE PLASTICS on bikes that had spent 5 weeks in Africa. It got swapped for leather in those areas........
the rest of the main body is Gore Armacore which has Kevlar running through it.
I seriously doubt any textile suit will ever come close.
The main thing I'm into is going about on a bike, taking random routes; I'm really into the idea of making up journeys, and just seeing where they take you, because they always end up taking you someplace freaky.
Tom Jenkinson (squarepusher)

KLIM in the UK
Giantloop in Europe
adventure-spec
F800GS Crashbars
Yamaha Tenere Parts
KTM 690 Adventure-Spec Parts
KTM LC8 Adventure and SE Skidplate
wonky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 05:17 AM   #38
xcgates
Whaaa?

Oddometer: 1,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by newengland_gs_in_tx
"Moving to San Antonio this summer. Frozen tundra this winter, then TX summer. Should be fun"

xcgate ...

i did the new england to houston relocate about 6 yrs ago ... man it's tough ... it's hot riding down here in the summer heat & humidity. i'm trawling gear threads tonight because i've been suffering on summer rides with my 2 piece 'stich for too long. may have to find an xmas present for myself that's lighter/cooler/better vented (but it ain't gonna be a $2000+ solution!).

best of luck in the move and getting aclimated - took me a couple years.

negsntx
I'm currently looking at the kevlar mesh gear from Motoport. Quite expensive, likely to breach 2k if I add in some options, but especially if I package it in with the cost of buying a newer bike, and that I'll be commuting to a paying job, it should be pretty good.

I'm only worried about too much airflow in the mesh when it get really hot. But I can always put stuff on underneath. Kind of like winter up here, except the opposite problem

To get back to the original topic, why is anyone surprised about the price? BMW 1200 GS anyone? Any of the other 1200s? Why the heck would someone pay more than 15k for a bike? There are plenty of other bikes that do the same job!

The reason: a company sells a product at a certain price, with certain features, and the consumer decides if it is worth it. Maybe you want the $100 jacket, maybe the $250 suit from Teizm(sp?), one of a couple others I've heard in that price range, maybe the Aerostich, Motoport, Olympia Phantom, all are different prices with different features. If it isn't worth it to you, then don't buy it.

Home is where the skid lid sits.
xcgates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 06:35 AM   #39
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,770
It's a suit. Nothing more, nothing less. Sure it's nice but what does it offer that other, much cheaper, alternatives offer

There is nothing revolutionary here - it's an armored, waterproof suit with packets on the back of the jacket, features available elsewhere for much less.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 06:37 AM   #40
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonky
there is nothing like this suit.

All the other 'cheaper alternatives' are the same generic textile 'motorbike riding suit' with an 'adventure style' applied to them.

this suit is cut like off-road gear and designed 100% with riding function in mind.

You need to try it in the flesh. We've had a few people (like Osteo's wife) justifying the price to US having tried it on. If you look at the price of a top end skiing/mountainerring jacket it doesnt look bad!

With regard to toughness, the early prototypes had the bobbley substance Osteo described (Superfabric, epoxy balls bonded to the shell) on the inner legs. This stuff is so tough it was RUBBING THROUGH THE PLASTICS on bikes that had spent 5 weeks in Africa. It got swapped for leather in those areas........
the rest of the main body is Gore Armacore which has Kevlar running through it.
I seriously doubt any textile suit will ever come close.
I guess I'm missing something then

It's a very nice suit but I just don't see how the price can be justified. As I say, one good off in the dirt and it's done.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Old 12-06-2009, 06:49 AM   #41
Rick West
Function not Farkles

Oddometer: 1,222
Quote:

There is nothing revolutionary here

So you are not going to tell us about "the much cheaper alternatives that offer the same level of protection and features"?

Rick West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 07:23 AM   #42
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick West
So you are not going to tell us about "the much cheaper alternatives that offer the same level of protection and features"?

Buy the Klim. Enjoy
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Old 12-06-2009, 08:26 AM   #43
the kaz
has become "FERAL"

Oddometer: 1,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce
Remember that the prices quoted are in Canada. They will most likely be about half that in the States. We always get screwed by manufacturers here in the Great White North.
AGREED

thats why I have an american ship to address with forwarding
Old 12-06-2009, 12:50 PM   #44
ADVKmac
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Isn't this the suit Pyndon wore during his Salt and Gold 2009 ride?
ADVKmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 01:12 PM   #45
SteveRed
Adventure Mojo

Oddometer: 2,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99
That's one of the best suits I've ever seen. Love the neck brace cover option, etc

But I have to agree that's one steep price!

Hey Osteo, classic photo's of ya , lol, you trying to make me laugh in this one?

He's just exhaling slowly as he considers the price

But seriously, this is the first suit made from Goretex (even the BMW RP suits have gore liners) and is designed for racing long distance dessert races etc. It is the sort of suit I would have based on the technology and the idea I can live in it and simply carry spare underpants and a few T-Shirts and maybe one pair of jeans. Goretex breaths but is waterproof. The harness will allow you to carry gear on your person without the jacket feeling like you have a sack of potatoes on (That's how I feel with the RP2 suit I have). It is competatively priced with the BMW suits and that Finnish suit!? (Can't remember the name). But yes it is very exxy

http://www.adventuremoto.com.au
Your ride.. Your adventure!
SteveRed is offline   Reply With Quote