Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2009, 01:46 PM   #76
viatormundi
Citizen of the world

Oddometer: 644
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyY
his was preproduction and didnt have the armor.
3Do is the latest and greatest, im betting we will be seeing it in alot of it in the near future.
I see. I would also prefer that the jacket has front pockets for chest protections. From what I can see, it doesn't. If it had those then a body armour wouldn't be so necessary.

Let's see how much this suit will cost in US and Europe. By the way, who sells Klim products in Europe or more specifically in Spain?
viatormundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 08:47 PM   #77
kaosrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 807
Gee I guess I can get by with that $50 helmet afterall Helmets for $500-$700 was unthinkable 10-15 years ago. Now many hardly blink an eye. Snow gear used to be $50 now you can find jackets costing well over $500 just for a shell. High tech cost big dollars, weather your sport is snow skiing, sailboat racing or motorcycle rally/racing I have seen and paid big dollars for equipment/protective clothing. I started out in each sport at the low "Walmart" end of the spectrum. After many a miserable session enduring in the elements, I came to believe that if you enjoy that activity then having the proper equipment makes that activity more enjoyable and rewarding. By the same token, being in those type of conditions with the best gear available gives one an entirely different perspective. One where I enjoy the event and others are hating life and abandoning the event. Basically if you are risking your life day and night in extreme conditions it makes the Walmart purchase almost comical. $1,500 -$2,500, well I think my life is worth it, so yes I would like the option to be able to purchase top quality gear that could handle whatever I encountered.
Plus I am sure in short order some China gear will come out just like it with "Goretex" like claims for say $289.
Klim has other gear reasonably priced, so I am guessing labels like goretex and other features demand their price. One of the other threads on boots had a new adventure boot I think by sidi, expected price was around $450. However, it was not goretex. All the bitching started demanding that these should be goretex and waterproof. The marketing folks replied that it would make the price too high and people would balk. There was a surprising number of folks saying they would pay the $800 for the goretex "feature" and that is sucked that they where giving in to the cheapseats.
So this brings us back to the question, do you want a real adventure suit, or one that just looks like an adventure suit. And yes, some can get by on these same events with Walmart. And yes some can ride around the world on a chopper with no shocks. However it is nice to know that should we choose, we can go in more predictable comfort.
kaosrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 09:14 PM   #78
SpaceManSpiff
Man of Mystery

Oddometer: 1,075
excellent post, kaosrider.

This is the most advanced off-road/dual sport riding suit i have come across. i think the price is reasonable for what you are getting. From the looks of it (and that's about all we have to go on), Klim did not cut corners anywhere -- makes my Cayenne Pro look like a styling exercise.

Large patches of superfabric, heavy duty outer shell with real Goretex (seam sealed), built-in waterproof vents, fancy waterproof toothless zippers, 3do armor, a built in harness, leatt brace compatibility that maintains waterproofness, it is all leading technology top-notch stuff that is not inexpensive. Can't wait to see an eval/review of this kit. I am glad to see a no-compromises sort of suit.
SpaceManSpiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 04:44 AM   #79
Rick West
Function not Farkles

Oddometer: 1,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceManSpiff
excellent post, kaosrider.

This is the most advanced off-road/dual sport riding suit i have come across. i think the price is reasonable for what you are getting. From the looks of it (and that's about all we have to go on), Klim did not cut corners anywhere -- makes my Cayenne Pro look like a styling exercise.

Large patches of superfabric, heavy duty outer shell with real Goretex (seam sealed), built-in waterproof vents, fancy waterproof toothless zippers, 3do armor, a built in harness, leatt brace compatibility that maintains waterproofness, it is all leading technology top-notch stuff that is not inexpensive. Can't wait to see an eval/review of this kit. I am glad to see a no-compromises sort of suit.
The negative comments to this kind of premium gear is pretty easy to understand. It is too expensive for many to own, so some have to react to it by pretending it is just like the cheaper products they bought for much less.

Nobody is fooled by that sort of statement.
Rick West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 04:50 AM   #80
osteo OP
Motion is Life

Oddometer: 1,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaosrider
Gee I guess I can get by with that $50 helmet afterall Helmets for $500-$700 was unthinkable 10-15 years ago. Now many hardly blink an eye. Snow gear used to be $50 now you can find jackets costing well over $500 just for a shell. High tech cost big dollars, weather your sport is snow skiing, sailboat racing or motorcycle rally/racing I have seen and paid big dollars for equipment/protective clothing. I started out in each sport at the low "Walmart" end of the spectrum. After many a miserable session enduring in the elements, I came to believe that if you enjoy that activity then having the proper equipment makes that activity more enjoyable and rewarding. By the same token, being in those type of conditions with the best gear available gives one an entirely different perspective. One where I enjoy the event and others are hating life and abandoning the event. Basically if you are risking your life day and night in extreme conditions it makes the Walmart purchase almost comical. $1,500 -$2,500, well I think my life is worth it, so yes I would like the option to be able to purchase top quality gear that could handle whatever I encountered.
Plus I am sure in short order some China gear will come out just like it with "Goretex" like claims for say $289.
Klim has other gear reasonably priced, so I am guessing labels like goretex and other features demand their price. One of the other threads on boots had a new adventure boot I think by sidi, expected price was around $450. However, it was not goretex. All the bitching started demanding that these should be goretex and waterproof. The marketing folks replied that it would make the price too high and people would balk. There was a surprising number of folks saying they would pay the $800 for the goretex "feature" and that is sucked that they where giving in to the cheapseats.
So this brings us back to the question, do you want a real adventure suit, or one that just looks like an adventure suit. And yes, some can get by on these same events with Walmart. And yes some can ride around the world on a chopper with no shocks. However it is nice to know that should we choose, we can go in more predictable comfort.
Well said. I did not realize I would stir such a varied discussion on this suit - but it is good to see!

I agree with Kaosrider - our first winter camping trip many years ago we purchased what we thought were -26C cold weather sleeping bags for about $150. As it turns out it was the coldest night where we were in many many years and we pretty much froze (-45C). Being a bunch of pig headed guys, we returned those shitty bags and purchased much more costly bags, now winter camping is somewhat enjoyable, and there is no chance of freezing, but we also have thousands of $$ in gear.

Is that not what they often say, "purchase the best you can afford" and in safety equipment I tend to do the same. An Arai DOT certified helmet is theoretically (and this is a big discussion in itself) the same as the $50 special No Name Brand DOT helmet. But which will you be more comfortable in, will enjoy wearing and have confidence in?

I have not seen that thread by Pyndon, going to have to read that!

Is it vented well? I think so, pits zips and vents on the back of the jacket and I'm pretty sure those big zippers on the chest are also vents same as the pants.

I also have a Valdez Parka and that is also a complaint of mine, no padding anywhere and no real protective (asphault grinding ability) to it - it really is just a Gore-Tex shell good for protection against the weather. I have a Mtn Hardware 3 Ply Gore-Tex climbing jacket that is of thicker material and would probably last longer in grinding. But this new bad boy is completely different.

D

Rally Connex Adventures
Off-Road Adventures
Make It Stick Media

Adventure Has No Destination

08' KTM 450 EXC - The Half Beast -
04' Yamaha TTR250 (for the wife)
osteo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 06:24 AM   #81
wonky
Team F5 !

Oddometer: 471
A couple of points.

1. The harness system and integrated luggage is key to the venting system as much as it is to carry your gear.

If you have a brilliant venting jacket, then strap a 'foreign' object to it that pulls the vents closed and closes up all the air passageways than what have you got? a badly vented jacket!

2. The suit will be 1600 including taxes in the UK.
The main thing I'm into is going about on a bike, taking random routes; I'm really into the idea of making up journeys, and just seeing where they take you, because they always end up taking you someplace freaky.
Tom Jenkinson (squarepusher)

KLIM in the UK
Giantloop in Europe
adventure-spec
F800GS Crashbars
Yamaha Tenere Parts
KTM 690 Adventure-Spec Parts
KTM LC8 Adventure and SE Skidplate
wonky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 02:01 PM   #82
TwoShots
Vagabond

Oddometer: 1,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick West
The negative comments to this kind of premium gear is pretty easy to understand. It is too expensive for many to own, so some have to react to it by pretending it is just like the cheaper products they bought for much less.

Thank you, Dr. Phil.
TwoShots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 02:50 PM   #83
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoShots
Thank you, Dr. Phil.

Yeah, wondered when someone would mention the old 'jealousy' angle.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 03:05 PM   #84
Rick West
Function not Farkles

Oddometer: 1,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoShots

It looks like another touring suit with too many pockets created more for the wanna-be McGregors/Boormans.
And thank you for proving my piont.

You forgot to say it is too much money though
Rick West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 06:36 PM   #85
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick West

The analogy in women's products is cosmetics. Are the cosmetics in Saks / Macy's any better than the cosmetics in Walmart?

If you're not a fan of cosmetics, you don't care. Similarly, if you're not a fan high prices motorcycling clothes, you wouldn't care, either.

Never forget the power of marketing. Nor the power of greed...
Lobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 07:10 PM   #86
AllOrds
-------------

Oddometer: 1,345
WOW

I'm no Luddite when it comes to Gore-Tex, or the new materials, but surely someone in the marketing dept did a great snow job in getting this to production.Sure there's a royalty to be paid to Gore-Tex which impacts the price but at those prices i cant see too many stores stocking the outfit as it would just tie up so much money for them.

The harness doesnt even enter the equation for me. I like to travel light, with either a Kriega or camel back with 3lts/Kg of water and some snacks on board in its own carrier which by the way is a very comfortable harness. My Rally Pro suit vents very well in this configuration , the vents at the rear are at the sides, it has side vents at the front, and vents on the arms. No problems at all.I cant see that i would be "risking my life" anymore or less......The Klim may have ever so slightly more tear/abrasion resistance but the CE 1-2 certified armour in my BMW Pressure suit has saved my ass plenty, and even without the pressure suit the Rally`s amour and Cordura has been more than adequate.

What the long way down series of DVD`s have done for BMW R1200GS sales. Klim have now replicated it for BMW Gore-Tex Jackets. If the BMW gear looks expensive now,they will look like an absolute bargain in comparison.

Sorry, but me and my budget draw the line at around AUD $1000 for a top line Gore-Tex jacket.

AllOrds screwed with this post 12-08-2009 at 07:16 PM
AllOrds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:22 AM   #87
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,893

Okay, so the suit’s not for you or your style of riding.

I’m no hardcore dirt rider like Cody or Pyndon, or the infamous Charlie McEwan, but it doesn’t change the fact that I’m stoopid hard on motorcycle equipment and clothing. I’m pushing the limits of a Rallye 2 Pro and before someone starts in on “you need an Aerostich”, the guys I’ve been riding with used to have Aerostiches and have retired them because they were trashed within a couple of years. I put myself in situations that a get-off isn’t a question of “if”, it’s “when” and, in spite of the flatbed truck of a motorcycle I ride, I don’t have enough space to bring along three different suits for the variety of terrains and climates I will ride in during a single trip. I’ve ridden in snow in April in South Carolina after leaving 80F temps in Tennessee, I’ve ridden in rains where I elbowed for space with 18-wheelers to park under an overpass, I’ve crashed my brains out following Chris Jones on a gravel road in the bayous of Louisiana, I’ve crashed my brains out hard enough to shear the bolts off of the handlebar clamps in the mountains at the Arkansas / Missouri border chasing Sunman and Lt. Dan, I've also lost it turning the corner turning out of my neighborhood, I’ve had to send my R2P in for repairs twice, I’ve trashed two helmets in the last two years, I’m on my second set of Hepco and Becker tank guards and engine guards because I ground through the tubing on the engine guards on the right side, my Micatech panniers look like they’ve been beaten with hammers in places, the list goes on… Soooo…

I want a suit that’s iron-fucking-clad. I’m looking for the next best thing to a suit of fucking armour because I need it. No, I’m not running the goddamed Dakar, but I’m probably as tough on equipment as some of those guys are. I don’t baby my shit. I’m sorry Aerostich fanbois, a Darien or a Roadcrafter won’t cut it, I’ve seen them up close, tried them on, and I don’t think they’re tough enough. Same thing for the much less expensive Olympia stuff, it’s not tough enough. My Rallye 2 Pro is barely making the grade. I need it to vent well but have the ability to close up and be warm, because I’ve ridden from the Badlands where the temp was 115F on the road to a pass in Northern Colorado (fuck if I know where I was) where the temp was 37F and there was still snow on the ground within a two day period. I need the armour to be something better than the fucking foam rubber they put in cheaper suits. I want the exterior to be the next best thing to titanium because it’s going to spend some time on the pavement or the rocks on a gravel road on top of a levee along the Mississippi. So if GoreTex’s Armacore material is up to the task, they’re proud of that fact, and they’re not willing to give it away, so fucking be it. Sign me up. If the 3dO armour gets harder than steel upon impact (like the BMW NP stuff), halleluiah, I want it in my suit, because I’m probably going to test those claims. Looks like Klim is making a suit for the morons that ride like I do. Based on the specs on this suit, I wouldn’t be surprised if the designers were asking themselves, “How could Xeraux fuck this thing up? Really? Like that? Then put some tougher shit on the elbows.”

There are people out there who want a suit like this and not because they’re pretending they are or want to be like Charlie McEwan, but they really do need something tough because they really do ride that hard or they ride as poorly as I do.

Will I buy one? Who knows? But I'm glad to know someone out there is making a suit with idiots like me in mind.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:40 AM   #88
dwayne
Silly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,118
has anyone found the ACTUAL price in USD. There's been a lot of people panning the price when I don't think one had even been mentioned.

When I look at other Klim gear, it is on the pricey side, but also on the upper end of quality/materials for what is availible.

I bet this comes in with in a few hundred of a RP2 suit, less than a Halversons, maybe a touch more than a Rukka.

A "Day" of Dirt Biking Rockies East Slopes
High and Dry Colorado and Utah

"When your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail"

dwayne screwed with this post 12-09-2009 at 08:48 AM
dwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:50 AM   #89
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwayne
has anyone found the ACTUAL price in USD. There's been a lot of people panning the price when I don't think one had even been mentioned.

When I look at other Klim gear, it is on the pricey side, but also on the upper end of quality/materials for what is availible.

I bet this comes in with in a few hundred of a RP2 suit, less than a Halversons, maybe a touch more than a Rukka.
The original post has it priced at:

Jacket: CDN$1499
Pants: CDN$999

That's like US$200.00 total or something.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:52 AM   #90
WestRider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 787
Well...it looks like great equipment!!

I am very happy with the Klim gear I have...I've got Dakar, Mojave, and Free Ride pants, a couple of Revolt Jerseys, Valdez jacket, Inferno shirt, and PowerXross gloves. I got all of it on clearance (except for that Riff Raff shirt!!) for reasonable prices over the last couple of years and it's all exceptionally well made and comfortable to wear when riding.

I really like the idea of that suit coming in two pieces, as I'm one of those weird shaped fellas. I don't fit into my one piece suit very well which is why I've gone to the Valdez/Free Ride combo for winter riding...but the armor would be nice!!

Hmmmm that looks like a good candidate for 2011 Riff Raff Extreme gear!!!
2005 TW200...wife's bike
1977 CT90...an original adventure bike
WestRider is offline   Reply With Quote