Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2010, 02:30 PM   #301
leftystrat62
Adventurer

Oddometer: 999
I don't own a GPS yet,but hope to have one soon;and have kind of a dumb question for your guys. How do you program a route like this into it? Is it relatively easy? Where do you go do download the route? I live in R.I.,just bought my first GSA and have the time to do this route,so if there's anyone in the area that would like to hook up for some riding,fell free to contact me.
leftystrat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 03:26 PM   #302
BKMLWR
Wondering around...

Oddometer: 4,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftystrat62
I don't own a GPS yet,but hope to have one soon;and have kind of a dumb question for your guys. How do you program a route like this into it? Is it relatively easy? Where do you go do download the route? I live in R.I.,just bought my first GSA and have the time to do this route,so if there's anyone in the area that would like to hook up for some riding,fell free to contact me.
there is a link back in this thread to download the route or over in the east tracks section Frank posted the link again

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=548743
BKMLWR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 08:06 PM   #303
themobb
Is this thing on???

Oddometer: 504
Great Report, Thanks!

We were in Maine last summer at my father-in-law's place north of Bangor. I've seen a lot of the places you went by in NH, ME, NB but my wife and I are currently riding Goldwings, so we saw them from the Paved Road!

Anyway, reading this and seeing all of the great riding that is available up there, I guess I need to get another dirt bike. I sold my DRZ400E several years ago. I guess I need a KTM 690E now!!! See you next summer.

BTW: Thanks for putting together the GDB file. I know that was a lot of work. I'm just not used to seeing all those waypoints "out in the middle of nowhere!)

Lance
themobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 12:43 PM   #304
slowpoke69
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 489
Thumb Killer RR!!!

DAMN, is it live, or is it Memorex!? Helluva ride guys, WAY enjoyed following along, esp. since S. Jersey is asshole deep to a giraffe in snow right now! I meant to ask,DP I'm 6'1" about 250, do you think the 800 can handle my big ass, or should I get a 1200GS?

slowpoke69 screwed with this post 02-21-2010 at 12:50 PM
slowpoke69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 02:46 PM   #305
Jimmym1296
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Wow, another great RR Frank, thank you. It's snowing and blowing like crazy here so your story kept me entertained this afternoon, especially with the kids home from school.
Jimmym1296 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 08:08 PM   #306
Boottrac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 483
Thumb GPS or Map route?

Any chance of getting your route would like to try some probaly not the entire trip, but it looks like a lot of good intermediate level riding, the trestle part looked very scenic.
Boottrac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 03:09 AM   #307
RockyNH
Older Than Dirt!

Oddometer: 1,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boottrac
Any chance of getting your route would like to try some probaly not the entire trip, but it looks like a lot of good intermediate level riding, the trestle part looked very scenic.
The route is posted up around page 15 and/or 16 of the road. Frank had asked if someone could host it online for d/l and I have it set up for him.

You should be able to grab it from here:

http://mcghienh.com/ADV/dockingpilot.gdb

Have a great day... and enjoy...

02 1800 Gold Wing - "Wing"
05 Ural Gear Up "Herbie"
07 F650GS - "Grasshopper" - Totaled July 2010
05 DR 650 - (?????) Purchased August 2010

Trip Report 2009 Trans Lab Highway

Trip Report 2010 James Bay & North Road Quebec
RockyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 09:17 AM   #308
Bluesjammer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Hey Frank, again great report. Man what great roads and colors you guys nailed it!!!!!! As I transition back to my dirt early days I was wondering can a 1200GS fit through some of the tight spots you guys got into with those big JUGS ( )hanging out. I've always wanted to do Alaska, but now the great north east is on my bucket list too. Thanks again for sharing this with us all, I know it's a lot of work to put together.

Steve
Bluesjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 12:31 PM   #309
DockingPilot OP
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,111
Hi Steve,
Yes, a boxer GS can ride this route, no problem as long as you had some experience and the right tire.

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 01:03 PM   #310
Boondoggle
Gear Grinder

Oddometer: 13,093
DP- thanks again for the great ride report- it was one of the things that kept me motivated to get up there last week. I met up with some buddies who were ATV'ing in Jackman- I had forgotten just how damn BIG that part of the world is.
I've been poking a giant bouncy ball with a needle. You feel anything yet? -Blake716
Boondoggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 02:30 PM   #311
SpenserpVT
Doctor Three Fifty

Oddometer: 252
I notice that your GPS route ends at the border reentering Maine from New Brunswick. What route did you take from there? More dirt, or did you take some highway back home?
Old 07-10-2010, 06:36 PM   #312
DockingPilot OP
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Quote:
Originally Posted by killthewhelp
I notice that your GPS route ends at the border reentering Maine from New Brunswick. What route did you take from there? More dirt, or did you take some highway back home?
We worked our way southeasterly through Maine, NH and Vermont on county paved roads.

Old 07-10-2010, 08:23 PM   #313
SpenserpVT
Doctor Three Fifty

Oddometer: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot
We worked our way southeasterly through Maine, NH and Vermont on county paved roads.
Gotcha. Studying the map, I have realized that most of the roads toward the coastline are pretty well developed (paved). It appears that in order to stay on dirt for the return trip, I would have to head north a bit before steering west back to Vermont. Maybe I could just head northwest from Acadia NP, connect back up with the route and ride the first part backwards...
Old 07-11-2010, 06:16 AM   #314
DockingPilot OP
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Yes Kilt. That was towards the end of the trip so it was getting more civilized. Lets see, from where we first hit the shore in Ca it turned paved. Niced but paved, to the Wilderness Lodge, then it was offroad south to St. Johns. But going counterclock wise from Blackville going west, its all 100% offroad. If your going to ride thid feel free to pm me and we'll talk to make sure you got it right.

Old 07-11-2010, 09:02 PM   #315
pgods
Godspeed rider

Oddometer: 752
Superb!

Frank,
This is one of the best RR I have ever read! You found miles of absolute wilderness - and I thought eastern North America was all but paved?? Simply beautiful.Your RR will make every street rider trade his/ her road bike for something with knobbies!
I'm truly envious.

pgods is offline   Reply With Quote