User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2009, 09:43 AM   #1
blaine.hale OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,171
My experience with IBMR market

So I kind of wanted to vent about obtaining vintage parts etc from the IBMWR market place.
My first experience was buying from an awesome guy with great response and awesome response. I got a brand new 1974 r90 wire harness (with the /5 control set up) for just $200 from him. Received in 2 days and was happy as any guy restoring a bike could be.
That was me buying. Now I couldn't find the tank and accessory r90s harness I wanted via posts so I decided to make a wanted post. (bad idea, will not do again)

The post was looking for the following.
BMW /6 large touring tank with knee pads (maybe I should been more specific). Wanted condition of very clean, no dents, leaks etc. Paint preferred is black, can be new paint or ready for paint.
I was also looking for the small wire harness for the r90s fairing gauges. Wanted like new condition.

I immediately receive the following email:
I'm Jack. I saw your wanted advert and I was wondering if you are
still interested in purchasing the subjected item(s) as I have it in
stock. Kindly shoot me an e-mail if you are still in the market.

Who sells a tank and harness for that much?? ( I did further investigate, got no more details just wanted money quick)

Then I got a chap from across the pond claiming he has said parts but was a lot more formal. I tell him to send pics. He sends me a picture of a /5 heinrich tank from google, then another separate pic of some leather knee pads used for some sport or something. The of course followed with how I can make a payment

So that was just 2 examples of the many emails I received in the past week about my article. I just wanted to caution people posting wanted items on IBMWR. Get all the the information you can, get detailed pics, get a phone number and talk to the person.

blaine.hale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 10:17 AM   #2
CurlyMike
Formerly SaddleSoar

Oddometer: 984
I ALWAYS get some spam response from ibmwr ads, seems like someone is doing some fishing. The only reason they would still be around is that they have caught something. Dont know why there are so many people claiming they are from England, can usually tell when they say things like “item” when talking about what is for sale. I guess its a price to pay for cheap unregulated communication...
Old 12-06-2009, 10:19 AM   #3
zenben
all roads are one

Oddometer: 595
I receive correspondence from Nigerian royalty every time I post there.
Would suggest using a free email account (hotmail, yahoo etc..) set up exclusively for receiving spam.
Use that account for all public transactions, then discard it when no longer needed.

Unless you enjoy spam. In which case, carry on...
zenben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 11:05 AM   #4
Chad M
Custom User Title

Oddometer: 790
Pissed

I can weed out the Nigerian type scams just fine... it's the other hobbyists sending you worn out piles of shit for near new prices that I take issue with!!
Chad M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 11:12 AM   #5
blaine.hale OP
Beastly Adventurer

Exactly. I have no worries picking the spam out (which I have not received). It's the other people trying to take advantage of the situation who are completely unaware how much we know about the parts we're asking for.
Old 12-06-2009, 12:51 PM   #6
zenben
all roads are one

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine.hale
It's the other people trying to take advantage of the situation who are completely unaware how much we know about the parts we're asking for.
Yes well... Consider also that some sellers there have absolutely no idea what they are selling.
I got stuck with a set of luggage mounts mis-advertised as fitted for my bike.
Seller had no remorse.
Internyet schminternyet. Brave new world... Get photos for sure.
Old 12-06-2009, 01:22 PM   #7
AntonLargiader
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,273
Quote:
Exactly. I have no worries picking the spam out (which I have not received)....
If you're getting "I have the item(s)" you're receiving spam.
Old 12-06-2009, 04:41 PM   #8
bikecat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,117
Yes, Nigerian scams abound. For a start, use an e-mail tracker like here:

http://www.ip-adress.com/trace_email/

Usually the emails will be originated from Nigeria, Lagos etc. A good thing to do is to ask for close-up pics or location of the items, that will weed out the first tier "sellers".

Apart from that, I have had good credibility with sellers from the US and UK, although they are (initially) reluctant to deal with someone from Singapore.

Good luck.
bikecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 05:18 PM   #9
glepore
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Quote:

So I kind of wanted to vent about obtaining vintage parts etc from the IBMWR market place.
My first experience was buying from an awesome guy with great response and awesome response. I got a brand new 1974 r90 wire harness (with the /5 control set up) for just $200 from him. Received in 2 days and was happy as any guy restoring a bike could be.
That was me buying. Now I couldn't find the tank and accessory r90s harness I wanted via posts so I decided to make a wanted post. (bad idea, will not do again)

The post was looking for the following.
BMW /6 large touring tank with knee pads (maybe I should been more specific). Wanted condition of very clean, no dents, leaks etc. Paint preferred is black, can be new paint or ready for paint.
I was also looking for the small wire harness for the r90s fairing gauges. Wanted like new condition.

I immediately receive the following email:

Who sells a tank and harness for that much?? ( I did further investigate, got no more details just wanted money quick)

Then I got a chap from across the pond claiming he has said parts but was a lot more formal. I tell him to send pics. He sends me a picture of a /5 heinrich tank from google, then another separate pic of some leather knee pads used for some sport or something. The of course followed with how I can make a payment

So that was just 2 examples of the many emails I received in the past week about my article. I just wanted to caution people posting wanted items on IBMWR. Get all the the information you can, get detailed pics, get a phone number and talk to the person.

funny, same dude just sent me an email offering a pair of Ohlins for 160 bucks. Called him a scammer, he replies "I'm an elder in my church and I kick scammers"...but no photo, and now the 160 was for shipping, the shocks are 860. Right....
glepore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 05:40 PM   #10
blaine.hale OP
Beastly Adventurer

I'm very well aware of spammers and how to trace them
I work for www.mailchimp.com
It's an email marketing company and we do not condone spammers in the least. So I love it when people attempt to scam/spam me via email ;)
Vast majority of it comes from Africa.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:41 PM   #11
anonny
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 5,647
On another note, I have some knee pads and the black paint with no dints or dings you are after... just send me money and they are all yours.

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Just another pathetic sheep following the herd

anonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 10:11 PM   #12
zoo mob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
The spam is annoying to be sure, but far worse are the ridiculous prices people want for every single goddamn BMW part. I'm sticking with Japanese stuff for now, F those prices.
zoo mob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 05:24 AM   #13
farmer fred
Banned

Oddometer: 1,488
In posted my wife's R80gs there a few years back and the site owner emailed me to tell me that after looking at my website (obtained via my email address) he decided not to run the ad because I was running a business.

Fucktard. I never sell bikes! He wouldn't respond further after that.
farmer fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 07:49 AM   #14
blaine.hale OP
Beastly Adventurer

Here's another example of what to be weary of.

Hi!

My office is at Norfolk Towers Hotel, 34 Norfolk Place, London, W2 1QW , I was notify from the site you pasted your wanted Ads and i'm writing you in respect of your needs as i have them in a mint condition. Please get back to me ASAP.

Thanks,
Sales Personnel Sam Houston for Auto Spares LTD London.
Email:samht@rocketmail.com
Address:Norfolk Towers Hotel, 34 Norfolk Place, London, W2 1QW .
Old 12-08-2009, 07:54 AM   #15
zenben
all roads are one

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmer fred
the site owner emailed me to tell me that after looking at my website (obtained via my email address) he decided not to run the ad because I was running a business.
Funny. I see ads posted by businesses there all the time.