Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2009, 04:48 PM   #16
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenB
Where's your creativity? What happened to " Oh, sorry, Officer, it it just misaligned as I was working on it this morning. I'll fix it right away!" or something along those. I have the single beam adjust slightly higher than low beam and nobody gets hurt. You still have visibility at night like never before. You already had one installed, so you know its power. I have not been stopped in 2 years with either my red flashing brakelights or because somebody thought my headlight was too bright.

Think about all those Left turning cages that didn't see you and forced you to brake or worst case caused a lethal accident. A bit of blinding light would have surely helped. Also, when you're behind him/her they have the adjustable rear view mirror for guys like us.
+1
hardwaregrrl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 06:58 PM   #17
BareRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
FWIW I installed HID on my 93 GS/PD back in Feb 06 and have had no problems with it. It does have the hi/low bulb using the servo to reposition the bulb's focus rather than two HID elements(?). One big positive is the brightness makes the bike very visible during daylight in bright west Texas sun. The only negative is the slow brightening of the bulb when first turned on. It has passed the Texas State Safety Inspection four times. I really apprecitate it at night and on low beam don't get flashed by oncoming traffic.

The slow brightening of the bulb, I understand, is solved by the new digital ballasts and I've been thinking about upgrading. Anyone have experience with the digital ballasts?

This is the place I got mine...

http://www.xtralights.com/fusionligh...ypesingle.aspx
Old 12-09-2009, 11:54 AM   #18
bmwhd
God Bless Texas

Oddometer: 1,476
My R80/7 has been sporting a telescoping bi-xenon H4 setup in 6K color for some time now. Love it. Only downside is I can never open the headlight again since it's 3D Tetris game to get the ballast, igniter, and extra wire bits up in there

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

"Gentlemen, gentlemen, be of good cheer, for they are out there and we are in here!" - Robert Culp, attributed by Hugh Hefner as the official slogan of the Playboy Mansion
bmwhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 01:47 PM   #19
RecycledRS
Along for the ride

Oddometer: 1,033
bmwhd, how did you get all that stuff into the headlight?? I could barely get the hi/low hid lamp into my RS. Had to mount the ballast and relay behind the fairing and relocate fuses to outside the light shell ( a good idea anyway). Bill
Old 12-11-2009, 06:18 PM   #20
bmwhd
God Bless Texas

Oddometer: 1,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecycledRS
bmwhd, how did you get all that stuff into the headlight?? I could barely get the hi/low hid lamp into my RS. Had to mount the ballast and relay behind the fairing and relocate fuses to outside the light shell ( a good idea anyway). Bill
I've got a picture somewhere. I'll try to find it.

First of all, it's a thin ballast with the smallest igniter I could find. I pulled the big OEM turn signal relay and replaced it with a simple automotive flasher which gave just enough room. It's a squeeze, that's for sure.

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

"Gentlemen, gentlemen, be of good cheer, for they are out there and we are in here!" - Robert Culp, attributed by Hugh Hefner as the official slogan of the Playboy Mansion
bmwhd is offline   Reply With Quote