User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2009, 05:51 PM   #1
amazed OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Laugh Love some advice from the folks of New Zealand

Hello to the riders of wonderful New Zealand.

I'm writing from Colorado,USA.
I will be coming to your country in February 15, of 2010. Very excited.
I'm an older chap 59 years of age, (going on 30 ) my riding friend is a very young 46 years of age.
Would love to get some advice from you.
1. We will be arriving in Auckland on Feb. 15
2. Would like to know trusted motorcycle rental folks
I presently ride a KTM 990 adventure & KTM 690 Enduro
My riding partner rides a 1200 BMW 1200 GS
3. Would like to spend as much time off rode as possible
4. We will be in your wonderful country for 2-4 weeks
5. Would like to here your thoughts....to get things going.

Thanks very much David Racine
amazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 05:58 PM   #2
syaufu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Kiwi

Why not ship your own bikes..I went last Dec. and is was cheap and simple..$600 down and about 1300 back as we had to crate them for the return trip..shipped out of LA..just a thought ..expensive to rent..great trip..we spent 1 month ..could have used another couple of wks..
syaufu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 01:29 PM   #3
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,190
Hi Mate

Feb is peak season so you will need to get some bikes booked very soon! Of course us locals don't hire bikes very often, but GSGirl was just over for a tour & commented that Paradise Motorcycle Tours were great to deal with.

Get the NZ Motorcycle Atlas, published by Hema Maps. It has almost all the great routes highlighted & described - from curvy tarmac to gravel to 4x4 tracks. Once you have some ideas post up your plans in the NZ forum.

NZ is not big so if your definition of 'off-road' means 4x4 type trails rather than just gravel roads go for lighter single cyl 650ish bikes if you can find any.

If you want to see both Islands you need 4 weeks minimum, if you are coming for less time think about just doing one island.

There is an adventurers meetup down near Te Anau in the South Is 19-20 Feb if you would like to meet a few locals: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=455050 I am going to be heading south for this & some more exploring.

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 01:24 AM   #4
werewasi

Oddometer: n/a
[quote=syaufu]Why not ship your own bikes..I went last Dec. and is was cheap and simple..$600 down and about 1300 back as we had to crate them for the return trip..shipped out of LA..

Can you tell us who the shippers were since there are guys in the US who are thinking of coming to AUS and are asking questions about the shipping/freight thing. Thanks
Old 12-08-2009, 01:37 AM   #5
werewasi

Amazed,
As an unbiased person in that I don't live there, I'd say that the South Island is the place to go if you can't do both. The road from Christchurch to the West coast is fantastic and the ride south to the Haast pass is even better. Go to Milford sound BUT be prepared for wet weather on both there and the WC., because it's a climatic phenomonen like the fog stuff on the western shore of the Sahara. Try and have a flexible agenda when arrriving in CHCH so that if it's pissing down on the West Coast, you can go south through the Lindis Pass and then do the WC side when it's drier.
I did a trip like this and loved it (see profile). The campgrounds in NZ are much better equippped than US or AUS ones so good hot showers and cooking facilities (even TV) are standard.
Old 12-08-2009, 02:52 PM   #6
amazed OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Thanks for all your HELP

Please keep the information coming in regards to the trip to New Zealand. I appreciate it very much especially today when the outside temps in Colorado are holding at 6 degrees F
amazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 10:16 PM   #7
werewasi

You make it sound like the snow is up past the windows and you're getting cabin fever and feel this trip is all you can live for.

See in point 3 that you want to spend as much time off road as poss. North Is is different and the NZ guys can help you but the South Is has not got a lot of point to point dirt roads. Exceptions are ones like the Danseys Pass Rd and the Molesworth rd (I did this but I think it's only open at certain times) . The tar roads are actually fantastic and you just won't see so much really good stuff by trying to avoid travelling on them.
Like the others say, get that mapbook and make a detailed study of what dirt roads you want and try and link them in with the must do tar stuff.

werewasi screwed with this post 12-08-2009 at 10:28 PM
Old 12-09-2009, 08:35 AM   #8
werewasi

Forgot to say that if you do go to the Sth Island and Christchurch, that there are some great dirt roads around the bays on Banks peninsula. There was a post a couple of months ago by some NZ rider with a title something like "x goes to Port Levy". Really well written but I went back 11 pages of RRs and couldn't find it. Go to google earth and look at this area. It's a long extinct volcanic cone with fantastic bike roads where you drop down off the summit into bays at water level and then climb steeply to get back up onto the summit road only to drop back down into the next bay. Google O'Kains bay and Port Levy and you'll get the picture.

Found it ---Shaggie's ' Kiwi Elvis goes to" Port Levy' ( he didn't actually get there)

werewasi screwed with this post 12-18-2009 at 11:16 PM
Old 12-16-2009, 07:56 PM   #9
raydar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
Thumb New Zealnd trip

The wife and I have been planning our New Zealand trip for over a year. We are going to do a self guided tour using gotournz.com . I have been impressed witht the amount of setup that they did for us and thouroughness of the plans. We leave on Dec 18, 2009. I'll report back when we get back. Ours will be a south island tour and we will be "in country" 19 days. I cannot tell you how wexcited we bith are. Good luck on your trip!
Old 12-17-2009, 12:02 AM   #10
werewasi

Great to hear that you're going . You'll love it.
Presumably you're going to end up in Queenstown at some point. There's a road east to Cromwell and then out to Clyde. It then runs north to Lauder, get on the maybe dirt to Oturehua and come out at Wedderburn. From there, there's a great road past Naseby and the Kybeburn diggings (stop at the cemetery). Over Dansey's pass and you'll come out on the Pig route.
The only problem is that the Cromwell -Tarras - Omarama road is so great that you'll be have to make a hard choice.
Don't know what you're doing for o'nighters but if camping take WARM sleeping bags not summer stuff.
Warning - you may feel you're stepping back into the land that time forgot
because there's not a profusion of Maccas and Walmarts but this is a great place to visit and not one easily forgotten.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:57 PM   #11
Howiezowie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
Hope you guys enjoy your stay here in NZ.
If I can help when you're in the lower South Island just ask.

Cheers
H