Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2009, 03:54 PM   #151
Questor OP
More Undestructable

Oddometer: 4,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot
Whats this "WE" stuff ? Looks more like "SHE" to me !
I did this one. MAG watched and kept the fire ants away.

But the next day the patch failed, and MAG did the repair all by herself in Cuba. (To me that's one of the sexiest things... )

She used the spare 21" tube we had.
That's why we had to stop at the KTM dealership in Silver City...
But I'm getting ahead of the story.

Q~
Questor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 05:30 AM   #152
Questor OP
More Undestructable

Day 10: Wednesday September 2nd, 2009

Yipp, Yiipp, Yippy, Yo, Yi, Yaaaa!!!
Yiii, Yiipp, Yippy, yooo!!!

These were the sounds we woke up to just before dawn.
It was the local coyotes Yipping it up inthe morning, calling to each other.
I LOVED it!

I still get a big stupid grin on my face when I think of it. Such a special place and time. I hope I never forget it.

(I didn't record it, but I found a website with a recording of some howls that are very close. Click here: HOWL.)

We got up, I made coffee, and savored the morning sunrise.

We got back on the trail, and it took us up the hillside and followed a curving series of roads through the National Forest.
There were a lot of different roads, none of them really marked, so I was glad to have the GPS route.

We came across this joy ride gone wrong. Probably a stolen vehicle.

The roads were in good condition, and went on and on.
I was getting frisky. Riding quickly, and really enjoying myself.
After 10,000 miles of trail riding on the DRZ, I was pretty comfortable and confident riding it. Almost second nature.

These roads became curvy and twisty, with great traction. They were very fun to ride at a fairly high speed. I remember we were hooting and hollering in our helmets with joy. I kept doing the coyote "Yipp, yippy Yay!" I'm sure MotoAdvetureGal was getting sick of it since she could hear it through the Scala headsets.
I was really in the groove. I remember riding quite 'spiritedly'. Hard on the gas, late trail braking into corners, and hard on the gas again. Everything just felt right. I remember giving the DRZ full throttle comming out of corners, and just wishing I had more. Possibly the best / most fun riding of the trip.
I did not take too many because I was having so much fun ripping it up, sliding around the corners, passing a few pickup trucks on the shoulder. I was a Dakar Rally racer, at least in my own mind.

Hours later we rolled into the town of Cuba NM.

MotoAdvetureGal's front tire went flat again just as we came to a stop at the tourist information booth.

Good timing. We were in a town, with gas, food, and an auto parts store.

So we found a shady spot, had some lunch and did bike maintenance.
I did an oil change on the DRZ.
MotoAdventureGal did an oil change, and replaced the front tube on her DR-350. (Again, what's sexier than a woman who works on her own bike? )

While we were there, we saw two guys on loaded Dual Sport bikes ride past. We waved and they circled back. They were fellow ADVriders.

I worte down who they were, but I've left my notepad at home so I don't remember their names. We talked for a bit.

They told us that the trail ahead can be a real nightmare if it get wet, due to multiple washes and dirt that turns to sticky mud when it gets wet, and that we were expecting some bad weather. We had seen a few dark clouds to the north west... We had also been told by our friends on the unicycles that a section of the CDT ahead of us was closed because someone had bought the land the trail went on, and had closed all access.

[If anyone cam confirm this, it would be good for other CDT riders to know. The note that I put in my GPS reads that the blocked trail is at: N 35 23.287 W 107 38.709]

Sure enough, the sky was looking dark. I could smell the storm comming.
\

So I worked with the GPS and calculated an alternate route to Grants NM. The small red line is the CDT. The pink line is the new "re-route" to Grants.
About 2/3 of the way along the red line is the supposed closed section of the CDT.

I looked for a route that would get us more of the CDT, but there really is nothing out here. Getting stuck in the middle of nowhere, and camping in the mud and waiting a day for things to dry out was not my first choice.
So we took the paved route, avoiding the multiple washes and possible closed road.

One of my favorite things to see.

We rode west, trying to get past the storm that threatend us.

This section of road went through Native American lands.

It was on this section of deserted lonely highway that we passed a bicyclist broken down on the side of the road. We circled back to see if we could help.

Turns out this guy (again I don;t have my notes and I don't remember his name) was riding the CDT and had a flat tire.
There is lots of broken glass along the sides of the road and this was not his first flat. He was tired and a little out of it mentally.
We were able to assist him by making up a soap and water solution in the 2l pan so we could find the holes. We also had a compressor to inflate the tire. I'm not really a spiritual person, but I believe our re-route was intentional. We were supposed to be out here, so we could help this rider.
We made sure he had enough water, and gave him some electrolyte mix. He told us how a few days before he had gotten sick, and became so weak he could not sit up in his tent. He became dehydrated and could only lay there, hoping to get better, so he could find some water. I think he was still suffering from that experience.
So after making sure he was OK, and able to continue, we got back on our bikes and rode on.

The weather got worse.

Eventually it became clear that we were not going to be able to avoid the storm, so we pulled over and got our rain gear on.

And sure enough, we rode into a severe storm. It got cold, and dark, but we rode on..

Hours later we made it Grants NM.
MotoAdventureGal was cold and tired. There were no places to camp, and we did not feel like setting up camp in the rain, so we found a hotel.

We moved all out stuff in, and enjoyed a night of civilization.
I decided to wash my riding gear.
The last time I washed it was when we stopped at Virgin Valley Campground while riding the TAT, about a month before, some 6,000 miles ago, when I jumped into the pool with all my gear on.
This time I had hot water and soap.

While the gear was soaking in the tub, we went in search of dinner.
We found a Chineese buffet we named "The Happy Panda."

MotoAdventureGal and I each have favorite phrases.
Hers is "Breakfast all day."
Mine is "All you can eat."

Look at the happy panda!

After stuffing ourselves till it hurt, we waddled back to the hotel.
The bikes were in the parking lot nuzzling.

Another great day.

Q~

Questor screwed with this post 12-22-2009 at 05:33 PM
Old 12-22-2009, 06:11 AM   #153
VTRally
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Questor
We were passed by a bunch of abourt a dozen of Dual Sport riders comming the other way. The group consisted of couple of BMW GSA's a KTM or two and a few thumpers. We waved but none of them stopped.
Q~
I am normally a fairly quiet person who doesn't have much to say but when I rode the CDT by myself I found myself wanting to talk to people. Most riders that I met stopped and chatted for 5 minutes or so. Those that passed without so much as a wave I felt dissed by somehow. I thought that was unusual for me as I normally wouldn't have cared but in that situation I wanted to talk.

I can't recall what the date was you did this but I met a similar group of about 12 on the 14th of Sep in Columbia Falls, MT. They were out of Mexico. I had lunch with them and rode to Glacier with them and then bade them farewell as I pressed on north. They were riding the CDT S to N also.

Just checked your date and I am certain the group of a dozen or so was the same group I had lunch with. Great guys.

Clint

VTRally screwed with this post 12-22-2009 at 06:22 AM
VTRally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 06:21 AM   #154
Questor OP
More Undestructable

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTRally
I am normally a fairly quiet person who doesn't have much to say but when I rode the CDT by myself I found myself wanting to talk to people. Most riders that I met stopped and chatted for 5 minutes or so. Those that passed without so much as a wave I felt dissed by somehow. I thought that was unusual for me as I normally wouldn't have cared but in that situation I wanted to talk.

I can't recall what the date was you did this but I met a similar group of about 12 on the 14th of Sep in Columbia Falls, MT. They were out of Mexico. I had lunch with them and rode to Glacier with them and then bade them farewell as I pressed on north. They were riding the CDT S to N also.
This was a fairly large group moving along at a quick pace.
If some of them wanted to stop, the group would have gotten split up.
If the whole group stopped, it would have taken a while to get going again.
I'm sure you know about the "Rule of large numbers" and how it applies to traveling with a group.

I'm sure that if we had met in a town, or near the end of the day they would have stopped and chatted. It would have been nice to know more about the "closed" section of the trail though.

Q~
Old 12-22-2009, 06:27 AM   #155
VTRally
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
I just checked your dates and I am sure it was the same group I had lunch with. They were out of Mexico. Great guys who had done a lot of riding. It was a guided group. One had a blown rear shocker and was glad for the trip to be over soon. They had a large number of punctures and were getting sick of fixing them. My experience was quite the opposite, not one puncture.

Clint
VTRally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 06:46 AM   #156
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,852
Private

Quote:
It would have been nice to know more about the "closed" section of the trail though.

Q~
I just sent Questor a long e-mail about the possible private spot----if my memory serves me correctly it was an area that sure looked like you were trespassing---but the many ranchers never said a word to me---and I stopped and took up several conversations with them---they just made small talk---and put me at ease. I never mentioned it and they never either. If I had been trespassing they would have said something no doubt.
Anyway---lets wait and let some one chime in that knows for sure--not just a guess----it was 2004 when I was thru there.
I loved it thru there----my less experienced buddies hated it---and one crashed tearing up stuff--it would be impassable during a rain. It was a good decision of Questors decision to by-pass. It was the worst spot on the whole CDR to get caught in a rainstorm. Miles of it.

So----I'm guessing a rider got there----thought it was private--went around and is now telling everyone it is.
I may be wrong and things have changed..

BigDogAdventures screwed with this post 12-22-2009 at 06:54 AM
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 06:48 AM   #157
zaner32
In over my head

Oddometer: 646
Quote:

Q~
By the color of the seat, that looks like a 97 DR350. I have the same bike. Just love it, tough as nails. Just did it's first oversize after 30,000 hard miles. Still loving this RR.
zaner32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 07:45 AM   #158
Questor OP
More Undestructable

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com
I just sent Questor a long e-mail about the possible private spot----if my memory serves me correctly it was an area that sure looked like you were trespassing---but the many ranchers never said a word to me---and I stopped and took up several conversations with them---they just made small talk---and put me at ease. I never mentioned it and they never either. If I had been trespassing they would have said something no doubt.
Anyway---lets wait and let some one chime in that knows for sure--not just a guess----it was 2004 when I was thru there.
I loved it thru there----my less experienced buddies hated it---and one crashed tearing up stuff--it would be impassable during a rain. It was a good decision of Questors decision to by-pass. It was the worst spot on the whole CDR to get caught in a rainstorm. Miles of it.

So----I'm guessing a rider got there----thought it was private--went around and is now telling everyone it is.
I may be wrong and things have changed..
Hello Mr. Big Dog.

The information that I received was very recent. July of 2009 I believe.
The unicyclists had maps from some CDT biking group, and it was from this source that we were told of a recent land sale, and the owners decision to close the road that went though his land...

After some internet searching I have the following information to share with you all:
From: http://www.adventurecycling.org/foru...p?topic=5975.0

Great Divide Mountain Bike Route Section 5 2009
on: June 29, 2009, 08:31:06 am

From mile 84.1 to mile 88.5 the road has become private property so access is no longer allowed. At this point, June 4, 2009, ACA does not have a way around this closure, but we are working on it. We recommend that you use the Chaco Alternate between Cuba and Grants. As soon as we have new routing we will list it on the online addenda.

Q~

Questor screwed with this post 12-22-2009 at 05:31 PM
Old 12-22-2009, 07:48 AM   #159
Questor OP
More Undestructable

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaner32
By the color of the seat, that looks like a 97 DR350. I have the same bike. Just love it, tough as nails. Just did it's first oversize after 30,000 hard miles. Still loving this RR.
You are correct Sir!

MotoAdventureGal still loves her DR.
She calls it "The Little Bike That Could."

It's a fine machine, but a little tired now.
It's burning about a quart of oil every 300 miles.

Perhaps we will get around to rebuliding the motor someday...

Q~
Old 12-22-2009, 08:03 AM   #160
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,852
Private

Quote:
From mile 84.1 to mile 88.5 the road has become private property so access is no longer allowed. At this point, June 4, 2009, ACA does not have a way around this closure, but we are working on it. We recommend that you use the Chaco Alternate between Cuba and Grants. As soon as we have new routing we will list it on the online addenda.

Q~
Sounds like that is some good info that is most likely accurate----I'll update my gps file I've been giving out to everybody----or at least put a note about it. I've still got the original bicycle route with mile markers. It will put my right on the spot.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:29 AM   #161
airborndad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,485
Quote:

(Again, what's sexier than a woman who works on her own bike? )

Q~
Only thing I could think of is a woman that works on her bike and YOUR bike
airborndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 12:15 PM   #162
unlawfulsm
Bearded Hooligan

Oddometer: 550
Great Report

Thanks for taking us along I am thinking about taking this same trip this summer. What kind of fuel range should I need? Currently, if I take it easy ,I should get about 150-190 miles until the bike is completely dry. This is with carrying 3 MSR bottles. I am sure I could extend that even further but then the fun factor will decrease with just put-putting along. I am planning on getting a more accurate measurement of the type of riding I am planning on doing for this trip as soon as I get over the two teeth that were cutout this morning By the way keep up the great work on the ride report

Use Code- iFRLhicsrl4no

Great Deals on Gear
unlawfulsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 05:28 PM   #163
Questor OP
More Undestructable

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlawfulsm
Thanks for taking us along I am thinking about taking this same trip this summer. What kind of fuel range should I need? Currently, if I take it easy ,I should get about 150-190 miles until the bike is completely dry. This is with carrying 3 MSR bottles. I am sure I could extend that even further but then the fun factor will decrease with just put-putting along. I am planning on getting a more accurate measurement of the type of riding I am planning on doing for this trip as soon as I get over the two teeth that were cutout this morning By the way keep up the great work on the ride report
I'd say you would need a minimum of a 230 mile range.
Check out Big Dogs ride report for GPS data. (He's the Master when it comes to GPS data...)

Glad you like the Ride Report.

Q~
Old 12-22-2009, 07:23 PM   #164
MotoAdventureGal
Motorcycle Vagabond

Oddometer: 994
Bicyclist on the way to Grants, NM

Q, the bicyclists name is Randy. I got an email from his wife inviting us to his "welcome home" party--it was sometime last November. He made it A-OK, and offers us a huge thanks (and a place to stay near Tucson). He was most grateful--it would have taken him all day and night to find all 5 of those holes by himself!!!

My Year of Motorcycle Vagabonding Part B (Solo to South America)
MotoAdventureGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 08:01 PM   #165
RoadDad
n13ub

Oddometer: 413
CDR Closure

Questor--This is my $.02 concerning the closure you mentioned. The GPS coordinates you listed (N35 23.287 W107 38.709) turn out to be located a few miles south of the large ranch stockyard at Las Yeguas Canyon and on state Road 509. My son Craig and I rode the section from Grants to Cuba during the afternoon of September 9th. The roads from the ranch stockyard to Cuba are all loose dirt or , if wet, hell reincarnated. We were lucky. There were only a few wet sections and a couple of nasty aroyos. We even stopped at the ranch and talked to a man working there. Don't know if he was the owner--highly unlikely. He had no problem with us crossing the land and even made a few suggestions as to the best route. We did pass thru a number of gates but none of them were posted.

Oh yeah--We were using BigDog's GPS route and followed it to the turn--more or less--for the most part--most of the time--almost always. Thanks Mark

One question I have is--Are the CDR motorcycle trail and the GDR bicycle trail one ond the same in this area? If they are different that could account for the bike route being closed but the cycle trail being open.

Jan 3, 2010--------I just received BigDog's revised CDR route showing the waypoints that mark a possible closed section. If your interested download Marks revised route and follow along.
The southern of the two waypoints corresponds to Mark's track point #295. There were no signs or gates at or near that spot on SR547 (SR=State Road). A quarter mile further north the pavement ends and turns into a well maintained rock road. This winds along the west side of the mountain and slowly descends until it intersects SR605 just north of San Mateo. At that junction the road is again paved and the route turns right and to the north. This intersection is Mark's waypoint #311. There was a red painted steel pipe gate at that point. It was in the open position and did have signs posted indicating the land belonged to a mining outfit and warning of blasting hazards. There were no "No Trespassing" signs there. On my New Mexico map SR605 stops at this point.
The northern of Mark's two waypoints is about a mile or so north. It corresponds to a point between #313 and #314 waypoints.
The road continues north until the CDR route turns right at waypoint #328 and heads to the ranch stockyard at waypoint #340.
The paved road, on the other hand, continues to a large mine site at which time it seems to dead end.
I think it is unlikely that this road would be closed as it is the only access to the ranch from the south. Like Mark, I think someone misinterpreted the warning signs on the gate. Or the gate may have been closed for a period of time and then reopened. But I know for sure that we went through that area with no problems on 9/9/09. RoadDad

RoadDad screwed with this post 01-03-2010 at 04:52 PM
RoadDad is offline   Reply With Quote