Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2009, 10:22 AM   #76
Questor OP
More Undestructable

Oddometer: 4,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lav1200
Great ride report!

I am guessing from this comment that you steered clear of both Lava Mountain (between Helena and Basin) and Fleecer Ridge (Between Butte and Wise River)? Both very rideable on a DRZ, but maybe a handful for a Subaru (or big GS/Strom/etc).
You're right, I did not do the Lava Mountain bit, and I may have missed the Wise River section you mention, as I was comming back from Bozeman.

If you've got any pictures of, or a link to those sections of trail I'm sure we would like to see them. How hard are they?

Q~
Questor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 10:28 AM   #77
MotoAdventureGal
Motorcycle Vagabond

Oddometer: 994
Paige

Paige, my friend, I love you you are so generous.

Paige, I hate you, Questor loves his KTM more than me.
(oops, getting ahead of your story, my Q)

My Year of Motorcycle Vagabonding Part B (Solo to South America)
MotoAdventureGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 11:21 AM   #78
VTRally
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Questor
You're right, I did not do the Lava Mountain bit, and I may have missed the Wise River section you mention, as I was comming back from Bozeman.

If you've got any pictures of, or a link to those sections of trail I'm sure we would like to see them. How hard are they?

Q~

Questor,
Here is my experience the day I did Fleecer taken form another thread.
Enjoying reliving my run on the CDT in September! I did it South to North

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdsp
Clint, you are Superman if you rode *up* Fleecer on a 640A. Especially solo.
Mike, Thanks! I felt like Superman when I got to the top. I let out a big yell and felt like I was king of the world. I stopped and let my heart return to 70 bpm.
When I got to the fence I was already in this sort of altered state,
all I did was look over my right shoulder to see the view (which is amazing) and I got the strongest case of vertigo I have ever had. It was weird. I rode like an old lady for about 15 minutes until I got my head straight.
You must have rode across the top of that meadow. From where I stopped it looked like it gradually got steeper and steeper until it was vertical. I felt this incredible pull to go over and ride down it faster and faster
until i just fell off the bottom. It was weird.

I never did a trip report but here's what happened that morning.

I stayed at the Wise River Club and had a great dinner.

Photobucket

I woke at 6, showered and repacked my bags. I was out at 7 and I fired her up. Nobody was up yet and I'm sure the LC4 alarm woke up a few.
I had handwritten my notes the night before on a piece of notebook
paper from the waitress. I stuck it in the clear sleeve on top of my tankbag where I could see it, reset the odo and took off. It was about 30 degrees with a good frost.

I told myself before I left on the ride I had to at least ride out to Fleecer and look at it. Most of the ride reports I read everybody skipped it or had great crash pictures. I wanted to beat it but I told myself if it looked too gnarly I
would back track and take the slab.

It was only a short section of tarmac before I turned off onto the road that gets you there. The mileages were a little tough but I have always had a knack for navigation and I made it through to the bottom of Fleecer on the first shot.
The book really helps here as there are some good additional directions.

When I arrived I saw this

Photobucket

Pics do not do this proper justice.
I parked the bike and decided I would walk up to the big pine halfway up ( I thought it was half way anyway) Boots, helmet on, jacket, etc. Did I say it was about 30? I got halfway to the tree and thought, "you are stupid to try this by yourself"
I was sweating profusely and pulled the helmet off. It was more nerves that anything. I picked my line and moved a few bigger rocks. I had decided to stay to the right side in the sage on the bottom half and then switch into the right track after
I passed the big pine for the second half of the hill. It looked like a good line choice to me.
I walked back down the hill and mounted the bike.
I should say now that I left the stock main jet in the bike believing the BST to be up to the job of metering fuel correctly for me up to 12K feet on the stock main. Wrong!
Anyway, I am not a rider of great skill. I love to ride and have maybe 8k under my belt on dirt. I wouldn't consider myself brave but I am stubborn. That hill would not be left unconquered. I circled around twice in the little meadow at the bottom
before I felt comfortable and then said to myself "why are you stalling, just do it already". With that I turned toward the bottom loose shale crap and brought the bike up to climbing speed and went for it. Bottom half (I thought so anyway), easy!
I flew up in 2nd and had to duck going under the pine. I had planned to downshift there and make the rest of the climb in 1st as she starts to get steep and nasty after the pine. Around the tree, nick it into first, settle into the rut on the right,
roll into the throttle and climb. It was all going really well until I got about 100 yards past the pine and had to adjust my line because of a large rock. I rolled back on the throttle briefly and that is when I learned that my main jet was probably
two sizes too rich. When I went back for more throttle she had nothing to give me. I fanned the clutch but all I got were a few weak pops. The bike stalled and I was severely disappointed.

One of the things I love about the LC4 is that it pulls like a tractor at low revs and you can lug it to maximize traction. On this hill I had my blown my chance to get to the top cleanly.

Now I had to figure out if I wanted turn this whale around and go 300 yards back to the bottom or start from a dead stop mid hill and continue up. I was determined to make it one shot so I fired her up. The combination of the rich
mixture and fuel in the bowl being on a 45 degree slant meant I had my work cut out for me. I am not a hill climber and I debated in my wind if it would be better to sit on the seat and let it loop out or stand and let it dig a hole. Neither sounded
good so I attempted a sort of seat bounce maneuver to get it moving with a walk/push with my feet to help it build momentum until I could get my feet on the pegs. It was running like crap and had nothing until about 3000 revs.
Yeah, I eventually dug a hole and it was now sitting about 60 degrees nose up. I honestly didn't know what to do. What I decided to do was while it was off leave it in gear and pull the clutch in, I stood up and pulled back on the bars
to get the tire out of the hole. It didn't take much as the hill was pretty steep! As soon as I got it out of the hole I needed the front brake and the engine to hold it on the hill. I started it back up, revved it to 4k, slipped the clutch, seatbounce,
walk/push maneuver and we were away. Loads of shale, loose dirt, rocks and general crap. Up we went. I got up on the pegs as fast as I could and we motored our way up. The front tire spent some time in the air and the rear was looking for
grip all over the place, I wasn't about to let out of it once I got going and it was a wild ride. I thought I was almost to the top when I had to make a slight right turn to face another climb of about 200 yards! At this point my confidence
meter was pegged and I sailed up the last part like a pro. It is purely a mental game. If you think you can do it, you will. If you think you might not make it, you aren't going to.

When I got to the top I yelled some insulting words at the dirt and rocks that had really done nothing to me. Somehow it made me feel better.

Here's Fleecer from the top looking down. It's hard to convey but this picture does the best job of all that I have of implying what is involved here. Go out about 30 yards and it drops straight down into the valley. I left the pics a little large to help convey the scale.

Photobucket

Clint
VTRally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 12:22 PM   #79
Questor OP
More Undestructable

Nice description of the climbing of Fleecer mountain.
Good pictures too.

I've found myself in simmilar "mid hill situations"...
Usually I'm stuck under the bike getting sprayed with gas.

Thanks for the pics.
Perhaps next time I'm out there on my 950 with new tires on it, I'll give it a shot.

By the way, do you think a Subaru with good T/A tires could make that climb?

Q~
Old 12-11-2009, 12:39 PM   #80
mpanther
KotW - Just Ride!

Oddometer: 1,036
Quote:

Q~

Maybe a rally prepped WRX with Really good rock/gravel tires.

But you might want to bring a shovel or two.

ad·ven·ture n.
1. Participation in exciting or hazardous experiences.
2. An undertaking of a questionable nature.
3. An undertaking of a hazardous nature.

'83 GL650swi "My Little Grey Lady"
'86 LS650 Milady's bike
mpanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 12:47 PM   #81
VTRally
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:

Q~
I happen to know a thing or two about what a Subaru is capable of. I would tackle that with this!

Photobucket

It would have no problem.

Clint
Old 12-11-2009, 12:48 PM   #82
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,886
Ledge video

Quote:
Hello Timmer.

There are only three or four sections of the trail that are "tricky". This ledge was one of them.
But this ledge; coming from the south... sure I'd drive somebody eles's Subaru down it.

As for the job, we're still negotiating the number of weeks of vacation.
Q~
Questor-----I have a little video of the ledge you are talking about above.
I rode thru there in September of this year as I crossed the CDR trail on my way to Utah on my WR250R.

Since it is touted by many as maybe the hardest part of the ride (in dry weather) I thought you and everyone might want to see a video of it.

I first rode there in 2004 and hit it again this year.

Here you go--it's just one clip of the movie I made of that ride.

2013 Husky 650 TR650 Terra
BigDogAdventures is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 12:52 PM   #83
Lav1200
Pig Pen

Oddometer: 1,222
Quote:

Q~
Here's the only pic I took on Lava Mtn... not too difficult but easy to screw up with a fully loaded bike:

I came in to Fleecer from the top. Since I couldn't see over the ridge to see the trail my riding buddy and I opted out of it. I still want to go back and run it both ways (without 80 lbs of camping gear strapped to the bike).
Lav1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 01:17 PM   #84
Questor OP
More Undestructable

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com
Questor-----I have a little video of the ledge you are talking about above.
I rode thru there in September of this year as I crossed the CDR trail on my way to Utah on my WR250R.

Since it is touted by many as maybe the hardest part of the ride (in dry weather) I thought you and everyone might want to see a video of it.

I first rode there in 2004 and hit it again this year.

Here you go--it's just one clip of the movie I made of that ride.

"Aw, don't worry, we won't post this up on Youtube or nothin'."

I love you guys.

It doesn't look so bad...
Heck, I'll hurl myself at it again!
For I am a V.I.P.
Very Important Projectile.

Proceed with your Ride Report...

Wait a minute, this is MY Ride Report.

OK, C'mon children, let's settle down. Show and tell is not over - yet.

Focus, everyone, focus.

Q~
Old 12-11-2009, 01:49 PM   #85
Questor OP
More Undestructable

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTRally
I happen to know a thing or two about what a Subaru is capable of. I would tackle that with this!

It would have no problem.
Yeah!

Well how about this?
Full on V8.

Montana style Boi!

Q~
Old 12-11-2009, 02:15 PM   #86
VTRally
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Yeah!

Well how about this?
Full on V8.

Montana style Boi!

Q~
It ain't a Subaru!

Clint
Old 12-11-2009, 02:23 PM   #87
Questor OP
More Undestructable

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTRally
It ain't a Subaru!
What's the answer to displacement?
Gobs of torque, lots of horsepower, long 'wheel base', locked differentials, cumming's diesel and...
Add twin turbo's...

What say you?

(This is simply an inquiry... for when I buy my next vehicle...)

Q~

Questor screwed with this post 12-11-2009 at 03:29 PM
Old 12-11-2009, 03:09 PM   #88
BigT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 863
Hmmmmmm, it doesn't seem to be available anymore, and its replacement, the 376C, is $800.00.
Quote:
Garmin 276C.

The best of the best of the best, Sir!

Q~
btw... How do you like that water bottle/seat thingy you're running? I've heard good things about them.

btw II.... In!

BigT screwed with this post 12-11-2009 at 03:24 PM
BigT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 03:26 PM   #89
Questor OP
More Undestructable

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT
Hmmmmmm, it doesn't seem to be available anymore, and its replacement, the 376C, is $800.00.
Blame progress...

I've seen 276C's for sale at $400 in Flea Merket.
BTW, what is Garmin thinking... canceling their best GPS?

What's next?
Half the resolution, half the memory, at twice the price?
Damn you Garmin...
When will you understand...?
We don't need XM... We just need a reliable chart plotter...

Less is more... All repeat after me...
Less is more... ad nausium...

Are you listening Garmin?
Q~

"How do you like that water bottle/seat thingy you're running? I've heard good things about them."

The Sweet Cheeks? - Very nice.
Q~
Old 12-11-2009, 03:42 PM   #90
bigdon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,552
You can still buy a 276c at getfeetwet.com . It may be refurbished but I have had better luck with some of the rebuilt units than the new ones.

Don't stop riding until you get to the crash , you might save it!
bigdon is online now   Reply With Quote