ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2009, 04:41 PM   #1
IBArbuckle OP
Chainsaw rider.
 
IBArbuckle's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Back in Columbus
Oddometer: 93
Chicago - moving to the Loop, where to park?

I just moved to town last month, and am having a hard time finding someplace to park my YDS3. Hoping somebody on the board will have a few ideas. I have checked with all the parking structures in the neighborhood, and none of them want anything to do with motorcycles. Not really sure why. I know about the lots listed in the city's motorcycle brochure, but none of them wanted to deal with me either. When I signed the lease for my apartment I expected a challenge on the parking front, but I have been looking for a month now and have come up with nothing. Ideally I'd like to find someplace that is around $120-150 a month. I live near the corner of Jackson and State.

Also, what is the deal with the city requiring like fifty extra fees to plate my bike? And what am I supposed to do with this stupid sticker(I guess it is called a parking medallion) they gave me? The lady at the revenue office said to put it on my headlight(!!).

Thanks for all the help.
__________________
-Ian
IBArbuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 06:57 PM   #2
oPAULo
jack of all terrain
 
oPAULo's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Bedford, Indiana
Oddometer: 3,800
oPAULo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 12:16 PM   #3
Moose Dog
Trouble maker
 
Moose Dog's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Land of the Lincoln
Oddometer: 2,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBArbuckle
I just moved to town last month, and am having a hard time finding someplace to park my YDS3. Hoping somebody on the board will have a few ideas. I have checked with all the parking structures in the neighborhood, and none of them want anything to do with motorcycles. Not really sure why. I know about the lots listed in the city's motorcycle brochure, but none of them wanted to deal with me either. When I signed the lease for my apartment I expected a challenge on the parking front, but I have been looking for a month now and have come up with nothing. Ideally I'd like to find someplace that is around $120-150 a month. I live near the corner of Jackson and State.

Also, what is the deal with the city requiring like fifty extra fees to plate my bike? And what am I supposed to do with this stupid sticker(I guess it is called a parking medallion) they gave me? The lady at the revenue office said to put it on my headlight(!!

Thanks for all the help.
We offer winter storage for 50.00 dollars a month, free pick-up & delivery.

P.M. me if interested.
__________________
Forest City Riders club member
Moose Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 01:00 PM   #4
MRFRITZ
advwannabe
 
MRFRITZ's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Chicagoland
Oddometer: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBArbuckle
I just moved to town last month, and am having a hard time finding someplace to park my YDS3. Hoping somebody on the board will have a few ideas. I have checked with all the parking structures in the neighborhood, and none of them want anything to do with motorcycles. Not really sure why. I know about the lots listed in the city's motorcycle brochure, but none of them wanted to deal with me either. When I signed the lease for my apartment I expected a challenge on the parking front, but I have been looking for a month now and have come up with nothing. Ideally I'd like to find someplace that is around $120-150 a month. I live near the corner of Jackson and State.

Also, what is the deal with the city requiring like fifty extra fees to plate my bike? And what am I supposed to do with this stupid sticker(I guess it is called a parking medallion) they gave me? The lady at the revenue office said to put it on my headlight(!!).

Thanks for all the help.
the medallion should be bolted on the back of the bike ,with one of the bolts from the plate.and for parking get in touch with hot dam ,he works downtown and should know of a few parking garages, and welcome to chicago.
MRFRITZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 08:58 PM   #5
Dan888
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Dan888's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Rkfd IL
Oddometer: 408
Seems like there was a thread on here a while ago about the difficulties of parking a mcy in downtown Chicago. I used the search on here but I couldn't find it for you. I think it's weird that it's so hard to find a place to park, and you need special downtown tags etc etc. Good luck.
Dan
Dan888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 09:52 AM   #6
IBArbuckle OP
Chainsaw rider.
 
IBArbuckle's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Back in Columbus
Oddometer: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Dog
We offer winter storage for 50.00 dollars a month, free pick-up & delivery.

P.M. me if interested.

Thanks Moose Dog, but I already have my bike in storage.

MRFRITZ, the "medallion" is actually a vinyl decal, its about 4"x3" and I have no idea where it is supposed to go. Most of the cars around here have them on their windshield.

I have been parking the bike in a small, un-signed(signaged? anyway there are no parking restrictions for about fifty feet of street) spot near the Old Colony building, but had to stop when the winter parking ban came into effect. Checked out a few surface lots under the el, no luck there either. I am sure there must be a reason they don't want motorcycles, I just can't figure out why. Most places have offered to let me park a scooter, though. Too bad I don't have one.
__________________
-Ian
IBArbuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 01:05 PM   #7
StromBoni
Hot Dog Captain
 
StromBoni's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: GR, Michigan
Oddometer: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBArbuckle
Thanks Moose Dog, but I already have my bike in storage.

MRFRITZ, the "medallion" is actually a vinyl decal, its about 4"x3" and I have no idea where it is supposed to go. Most of the cars around here have them on their windshield.

I have been parking the bike in a small, un-signed(signaged? anyway there are no parking restrictions for about fifty feet of street) spot near the Old Colony building, but had to stop when the winter parking ban came into effect. Checked out a few surface lots under the el, no luck there either. I am sure there must be a reason they don't want motorcycles, I just can't figure out why. Most places have offered to let me park a scooter, though. Too bad I don't have one.

Ugh, the city sticker. Vehicles that have windshields are supposed to have the little vinyl sticker that they sold you. Motorcycles are supposed to have a small aluminum "dog tag" that gets mounted to the license plate using one of your bolts. They look like this:
StromBoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 02:40 PM   #8
Zman1
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Zman1's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Normal, IL
Oddometer: 164
I was up there for some training a couple of weeks ago and stayed at the La Quinta Inn on the southeast corner of Franklin and Monroe. (A little northwest of you.) The parking deck on the east side of the hotel had a few motorcycle spaces in the alley around the utility boxes. Might be worth checking out. Hope this helps. Good luck!
__________________
Ride safe and God Bless!!!!
Zman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 08:22 AM   #9
YZman
Bouncing off Trees
 
YZman's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Meeeechigan
Oddometer: 1,120
Found this. Dont know if it helps

http://egov.cityofchicago.org/webpor...Scooters_2.pdf

http://egov.cityofchicago.org/webpor...Brochure_1.pdf
YZman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 08:24 AM   #10
nevermind
Swamp Thing
 
nevermind's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Lost then Found
Oddometer: 2,753
Can't you just bring it up the freight elevator and park it in your living room?
nevermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 01:10 PM   #11
IBArbuckle OP
Chainsaw rider.
 
IBArbuckle's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Back in Columbus
Oddometer: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usually Lost
Can't you just bring it up the freight elevator and park it in your living room?
I actually thought of that, but unfortunately only my doorman can operate the freight elevator.

And thanks for links YZman. I have already tried that list though. No luck.
__________________
-Ian
IBArbuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 11:29 AM   #12
ibafran
villagidiot
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: chicagoland
Oddometer: 1,241
Shot in the dark

Go to the Inland Steel Building on the northeast corner of Monroe and Dearborn and ask to meet with the leasing agent/property manager.
Wear a coat/tie or suit and try to look as professional as possible. Tell him'her that you have a small motorcycle that you would like to lease space for in the underground garage using what would otherwise be regarded as 'unleasable space'.

Give the person your contact info with a spec of how much sq.feet you need, sized as a rectangle or other configuration. Do not expect any immediate reaction other than 'no'. Just leave your written request with the person. It may take a couple of weeks for your request to percolate thru their brain. Figure that you might save some money and get an ok if you insure the building against loss or waive some claim.

Approach other private buildings in a like manner. When you get parking somewhere, be very careful to be as low impact and unobtrusive as possible until the denizens get to know you.

Bikes in the Loop are a huge PR problem. You might mention that a building might appear to be more 'green' and gain great PR if it was to start accepting bikes for parking.

Gemerally, you will probably want to 'store' your bike for the winter outside the Loop and not appear to be a 'problem' to your good loop parking space.

Contact Chi-Vim Moto Club for more info and maybe some help. ChiVinMoto.com

Let us know how you make out in the long term. You might get lucky and find something real fast.
__________________
"beware the grease mud. for therein lies the skid demon."-memory from an old Honda safety pamphlet
ibafran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 02:45 PM   #13
IBArbuckle OP
Chainsaw rider.
 
IBArbuckle's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Back in Columbus
Oddometer: 93
Thanks for the ideas ibafran. I will have to walk over there this week.

It seems like all of the garages in this part of town are operated by parking companies(not many buildings run their own), and as soon as I mention the word "motorcycle" they are shoo-ing me out the door. One of the attendants said that they are not worth the noise complaints.
__________________
-Ian
IBArbuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 03:59 PM   #14
DavidEBSmith
Adventurer
 
DavidEBSmith's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2002
Location: Chicago, IL
Oddometer: 57
There's a surface lot on Wells between Washington and Madison that usually has some motorcycles parked in it during the summer.

Regarding the sticker, it sounds like they sold you a sticker for a car instead of a tag for a motorcycle. You should take it back and get the tag. If you don't, you might end up getting an expensive ticket for not having the proper tag. And I would appreciate it if you'd raise the issue with a supervisor over there, their people should know better.
__________________
David E.B. Smith * Chicago IL
1999 R1100RT Night Black * 1997 R1100RT Sine(us)Blue * 1999 F650 Black (hers)
Iron Butt Rally 2001, 2003 :) 2005 :(
www.davidebsmith.org
DavidEBSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 06:07 AM   #15
GSJon
Beastly Adventurer
 
GSJon's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Chicago
Oddometer: 1,480
I live up in Lincoln Park and also have had the same issue with parking garages. I currently rent 1/2 a garage about 6 blocks away. Not as close as I would like but it is a detached garage from a house. I found this on Craig's List.
__________________
Jon

ADVMax: BMW's do not break down - they fail to proceed.
GSJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014