Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2012, 08:22 AM   #31
BigDave75
Will Work for Food!

Oddometer: 1,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyvdv View Post
what pressure do you apply to these btw. tire says max load.. 36 psi front and back on the gs

I am running 36 in the front and 40 in the rear. With that said; I am a little bit "Big Boned" and may weigh more than you.

The dealer said to go 36 and 42, but 40 feels pretty good. I am thinking about putting the Tourances back on for this raining winter and the Heidanaus do feel a bit sketchy in the northwest rain and I ride a lot in the twisties. I havent had any issues with slipping but I do not like the feel in the corners.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:01 AM   #32
ultane
sqeezin the bag

Oddometer: 1,055
I'm going to hand sipe some new TKC's that are sitting in my garage before putting them on Gretchen.

I might be wrong... Just ask my X...

If a man speaks, and there is no woman present,... Is he still wrong?

Sent from my party line rotary dial iPhone using Tapatalk

If a man speaks, and there is no woman present to hear him,..
Is he still wrong?
ultane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:43 AM   #33
tommyvdv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDave75 View Post
I am running 36 in the front and 40 in the rear. With that said; I am a little bit "Big Boned" and may weigh more than you.

The dealer said to go 36 and 42, but 40 feels pretty good. I am thinking about putting the Tourances back on for this raining winter and the Heidanaus do feel a bit sketchy in the northwest rain and I ride a lot in the twisties. I havent had any issues with slipping but I do not like the feel in the corners.
thanks for your opinion. i'm about 85Kg.
The tires do feel a bit sketchy but I haven't noticed any loss of traction. the rear tends to break traction on slippery markings (any tire would) but I get the impression that they grip sooner than the tourances after a slip up.
tommyvdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:46 AM   #34
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW JEEP View Post
If you decide to go with the Scouts, I highly recommend putting a couple hundred miles on them on good dry road. They're pretty grippy once the releasing agent is worn off, but they're slicker than snot when new. Take my word for it, learned the hard way.
+1, first 1000 miles they made me crap my pants a few times!
2712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:32 AM   #35
Iron Rey
Oh shit, not him!

Oddometer: 808
I ride year around in NE Wisconsin, usually run Anakee 2's year around, commute daily UNLESS there is ice, I have a couple of different styles of chains that I will throw on when we have fresh or packed snow, but I am disappointed, we are scheduled for a major snow storm tomorrow but my bike is in the shop getting the brakes fixed! I wanted to "show off" to some of my fellow riders at work .

I wish I could afford the Woody's Wheels 21"/18" studded tire solution though...
Iron Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:58 AM   #36
def
I've little to say

Oddometer: 7,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyBoy View Post
Looks like the tank bag stayed in place nicely.
def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:46 AM   #37
tommyvdv
Gnarly Adventurer

Looks like the max pressure for the heidenau scouts (150/70 B 17 M/C 69T) is 36psi
Think i'll stick to 35 or less.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:57 AM   #38
rgb2cmyk
Dirt(y) Neophyte

Oddometer: 221
+1 I hated them and thought I made a horrible tire choice for the first 500-600 miles. The K60s are slick, really slick, before they break in. Then they are great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW JEEP View Post
If you decide to go with the Scouts, I highly recommend putting a couple hundred miles on them on good dry road. They're pretty grippy once the releasing agent is worn off, but they're slicker than snot when new. Take my word for it, learned the hard way.
06 Husky TE450
04 R1100s BCR
rgb2cmyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:47 AM   #39
JensH
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDave75 View Post
Amen, have them on and have ridden in the snow.
no. i tried this winter for the first time on snow. guess what, the bike won't move a bit. i had to get off and push / work the clutch to get it moving. with that middle part the tire has no grip on compact snow.

probably the conti TKC80 is the better option or the new pirelli?
JensH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:48 AM   #40
tommyvdv
Gnarly Adventurer

i wonder how the thinner versions of the heidys will handle.
they're missing the middle part
Old 09-10-2013, 10:51 PM   #41
JensH
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyvdv View Post
i wonder how the thinner versions of the heidys will handle.(...)
try and let us know
JensH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 01:59 AM   #42
tommyvdv
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JensH View Post
try and let us know
they're great for the road, I slid the back on bt021 tires in corners before but these hold on nicely. have not gone totally bonkers on them in the rain yet but they feel safe on wet Tarmac.

the typical heidenau low speed left to right wobble and the cruising speed buzz/moan is something to be aware of if you don't want to get off to check what that noise is every 5 minutes. nothing I'd consider a pita.

on the occasional dirt they're allright. much better than the usual metzeler Tourance but that can be expected as the Metz is a more road based tire.

on mud, well.. they fill up pretty quickly if you don't spin the rear once in a while. they hold up but there's still a world of difference between these and full on knobbies. i would probably risk taking them on a full day on muddy crap again with lower tire pressure to see how that works.

I use them to commute and for the occasional dirt and for me and my limited skill they work quite well. spent a day on back roads with questionable traction and I managed to get by with only partially soiled underpants. big improvement :)

only had them for 2000km so I have no idea yet how they'll hold up in the wear department.

in short, better than the wide tire (1200gs) and quite confident on road and dirt. change to knobbies if you want to attack mud or worse for a full day.

anyone else have an opinion about these?
Old 10-23-2013, 12:24 AM   #43
tommyvdv
Gnarly Adventurer

got the chance to use them on the dirt again (deep greasy muddy crap). this time lowered the pressure to 1.7bar. Not as low as most recommend. but their proving to be a real nice all round option.

seems like the only thing holding back is the rider :)

only doubt I still have is wear.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:29 AM   #44
IB1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 719
Last winter I had to leave my bike at home for some period. A little snow during the day and night, during the day it melted partially and at night it froze again. So in the morning I had a one or two cm of snow on a layer of solid ice. Even the car didn't like it.
IB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 04:41 AM   #45
SylvainB
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Pissed Winter riding

I'm so relief , we, in our part of the world don't have to fuss over which tire - how to ride black ice - when the snow plower passed - will the salt eat our bike ... No Sir WE have a ''very good '' governenment preventing us to get in much trouble. They past a LAW forbidding riding between December 15th to March 15th . It's called the winter tire law . Cars must have their snow tire between these dates and all other vehicles except emergency vehicle and non residents. That's why when you come to Quebec all the rented cars are plated in Arizona . Since there are no manufacturer providing snow tires for motorcycles approved by DOT (with the snow logo on the side), bikes are taken off the road by law .

Before this stupid law, on nice days you could ride the bike late in november and even a few weeks in december to go back out late february early March. Lots of salt and low 20's require you to gear up very well to face this kinf of cold. BUT thanks to our governement... we donM't have to bother with this.

We only have to deal with the LEO issuing ticket when we ride our bikes on a sunny dry day between these dates. But riding before and after these dates will be ok with ice sleet all over the roads or in snow storm. I have to admit that most of the leos encountered are somewhat permissive about this, but still some makes it hard for the rest.

This gang of morons cut us 4 months of riding but didin't lower our license plate fees. (Sport bikes 1000.00, regular like gs 650.00 and for 400cc bikes it's less) .

But it's for our own good.
Past: K12GT 2008, ST1300 2003, Sach 250wr 1978, Husky 390wr, Honda xr500r late 70's, Husky 360wr, PE 250 1976... I know I'm old
SylvainB is offline   Reply With Quote