ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2013, 11:41 AM   #20731
Todd34
Toubab

Oddometer: 907
Quote:
Originally Posted by H14 View Post
Good job on the RR Lance, it looks like you covered everything except the chiggers.

Somebody come scratch my legs I'm dying over here.
Damn Kev! Sorry to see that. It could be worse though; over here people and pets can get mango worms. I was going to post a link to some video but I just couldn't do it to you. If you really want to see what I'm talking about just search for Mango Worms on YouTube. You've been warned.
Todd34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 12:26 PM   #20732
XC Rider
Motorcycle Vagabond

Oddometer: 2,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSA_PILOT View Post
Denis never responded so maybe he is in the hospital
I'm ok; a few bites around the ankles, but nothing like poor Kev. He must be sweeter than me!?
SpotWalla: WHERE IS XC RIDER!?
XC Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 12:37 PM   #20733
Todd34
Toubab

Oddometer: 907
Hey Denis. How's the new ride?
Todd34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 12:43 PM   #20734
WayneJ
LFC/CCCCC

Oddometer: 5,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd34 View Post
...search for Mango Worms on YouTube. You've been warned.
Just reading the description on wikipedia sounds nasty, I'll skip the video.

Life cycle

Female tumbu flies deposit 100-300 eggs in sandy soil often contaminated with animal feces. The hatched larvae can remain viable in the soil for 9–15 days until they need to find a host for development.[4] If a larva finds a host, it will penetrate the skin and take 8–12 days developing through three larval stages before it reaches the prepupal stage. It will then leave the host, drop to the ground, bury itself, and pupate. It then becomes an adult fly able to reproduce and begin the cycle all over again.[5]

C. anthropophaga rarely causes severe problems, and mainly causes cutaneous myiasis. Geary et al. describe the presentation of cutaneous myiasis caused by the tumbu fly: "At the site of penetration, a red papule forms and gradually enlarges. At first the host may experience only intermittent, slight itching, but pain develops and increases in frequency and intensity as the lesions develop into a furuncle. The furuncle's aperture opens, permitting fluids containing blood and waste products of the maggot to drain."

Transmission

Female tumbu flies lay their eggs in soil contaminated with feces or urine or on damp clothing or bed linens. Damp clothing hanging to dry makes for a perfect spot. The larvae hatch in 2–3 days and attach to unbroken skin and penetrate the skin, producing swelling.[7] If the larvae hatch in soil, any disturbance of the soil causes them to wriggle to the surface to penetrate the skin of the host.
20% Smug Mug Credit
WayneJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 12:59 PM   #20735
LadyDraco
KillerSmileIHazIt !!

Oddometer: 28,215
skeeters and chiggers like type O blood more then any other...

Check it from time to time as I'm always adding to it..
My Rides and life on the Farm
LadyDraco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 01:21 PM   #20736
XC Rider
Motorcycle Vagabond

Oddometer: 2,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd34 View Post
Hey Denis. How's the new ride?
LOVE IT! In the process of slowly outfitting it for my needs. So far I've put on proper hand guards, and engine guards. Tomorrow I hope to put on a skid plate, and racks to attach the aluminum panniers that I had on the KLR (these will need some modifications). Will post up a pic once I get the majority of the work done. I'll also be getting together with Dave (JDrocks) and testing out his Versys/Ninja DS bike to see how I like the suspension work he's done to the bike and see if I want to go ahead and do that to mine as well. That would include swapping out the front forks for a set of DRZ forks, swapping the front wheel for a 19" instead of a 17", and a rear shock with more travel (and probably better dampening/rebound adjustment). While my old Versys with stock suspension did OK when I went up to Alaska with it, I was left wanting better suspension when not riding on pavement.
SpotWalla: WHERE IS XC RIDER!?
XC Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 01:46 PM   #20737
LadyDraco
KillerSmileIHazIt !!

Oddometer: 28,215
Dang Eddie ....
I sure hope you feel better soon....

Check it from time to time as I'm always adding to it..
My Rides and life on the Farm
LadyDraco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:38 PM   #20738
DCrider
Live from THE Hill

Oddometer: 4,059
ITCHY! ignore the toe cheese;)

This mesage was sent from the rat hill
Old 09-02-2013, 05:41 PM   #20739
H14
I Gotta Go!

Oddometer: 4,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCrider View Post
ITCHY! ignore the toe cheese;)

This mesage was sent from the rat hill
Sucks don't it?:)

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
2012 Riding the Continental Divide
H14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:20 PM   #20740
Scotty P OP
Funny like a Moran

Oddometer: 12,439
I should stop lurking here........MMMMMM, toe cheese.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondoggle View Post
But things were getting tense, and I know nothing defuses a tough situation faster than boobies.
Scotty P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:29 PM   #20741
Evil_Chucky
Whiskey Stealer

Oddometer: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCrider View Post
Scratch that , got me some chiggers too, damn may be worse than poison ivy. Heading to the SMIB infirmary for some medicine
Spray with WD-40, it works for about everything.
Evil_Chucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:34 PM   #20742
tom c
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,972
Now I am kind of glad I missed Lance's Ride to Chiggers! Chigger bites are just as bad as poison ivy, it is what soured me to early season deer hunting - that and the heat and the chiggers and skeeters.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:37 PM   #20743
Evil_Chucky
Whiskey Stealer

Oddometer: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by H14 View Post
Sounds likes we all had fun in the great outdoors this weekend.
Now that sounds like a potential future movie - which I plan to make regardless of the feature.

http://www.impawards.com/1988/poster...t_outdoors.jpg
Evil_Chucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:39 PM   #20744
H14
I Gotta Go!

Oddometer: 4,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom c View Post
Now I am kind of glad I missed Lance's Ride to Chiggers! Chigger bites are just as bad as poison ivy, it is what soured me to early season deer hunting - that and the heat and the chiggers and skeeters.
We missed ya Tom. Other than the unfortunate incident with the chiggers Lance is quite the host.

Yea, early deer season, eff that I'll be back when them weather cools and the little devil bugs go back to whatever part of hell they came from.
2012 Riding the Continental Divide
H14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:51 PM   #20745
REAPER_ONE
YOU'RE DONE

Oddometer: 3,071
Tom, here is chiggers 101 from a fellow hunter. This is the life cycle of the Harvest Mite. The nymph and adult stages are harmless to us. They eat plants and tiny insects. It is the larvea stage we hate so much and call chiggers. The eggs hatch in late summer early fall (now). After hatching they climb a plant and ball up together and wait for you to come strolling by.

They DO NOT burrow under your skin. They grab you as you go by and scramble for a spot to bite. Ankles, beltlines, watchbands. Moist thin skinned areas is what they are looking for. They DO NOT suck blood. They inject you with an enzyme that breaks down skin cells. The walls of the injection spot harden and makes like a straw and they suck the broken down tissue up. Once they have a good feed they fall off and return to the dirt. This is when they move on to the harmless nymph stage. Frost DOES NOT kill chiggers. They must feed within 24hrs of hatching or they die. By the time our first frost comes here they are either dead or adult stage Harvest Mites. This is why most guys think the frost kills them. Harvest Mite larvea cannot survive temps below 60 degrees. Adults and nymphs can. So by the time the cool days of October roll around they are usually gone.

There is no cure for chigger bites. Using a hydrocortisone cream will relieve some itching but thats about all you can do. The 4 to 6 week itch is usually a result of scratching threw the skin and a secondary infection occurs. If you can resist breaking the skin it will usually be gone in a week. I know WTF are you nutts lol. They are the itchiest thing going so when I get them I concede to the 4 to 6 weeks.

Use the deet spray, wear lite colored cloths and for gods sake USE A LINT ROLLER. They just plain work. Sounds silly but it takes them right off ya

I can't wait to get back from my trip and start hunting.
REAPER_ONE is offline   Reply With Quote