ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2010, 09:36 AM   #2326
REAPER_ONE
YOU'RE DONE

Oddometer: 3,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCoMatt
I have a sticker, so I guess I can post here now?

The quake was centered around Gaithersburg/ Germantown, MD which is just north of DC. Many of my co-workers felt it. Some were more freaked out than others. Apparently it was quite noticeable.
Welcome to the site! We are harmless... well all but LD but only when she wears those tank-tops.
REAPER_ONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 06:38 PM   #2327
RFlagg42
One hoopy frood....

Oddometer: 1,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaster11
Eric,

If you guys were to go by the plane crash could you make sure you get coordinates for the logging road and trail entrance. Thanks

Looks like you guys found a nice hotel on the water and in civilization...nice. Do you plan on any R&R days or just pushing through?
We stayed in St. John's last night and had a good time. A very fun city on a Friday or Saturday night. People from all over Easter Canada come here for the weekends. No time for R&R, we woke up early and had a 450 mile day in order to be in position for the Port aux Basques ferry to Nova Scotia in the morning.

Sorry, no plane crash, and no hiking. Gail and his brother refuse to go anywhere that you can't ride the motorcycle within a few feet of...

To answer your earlier question, here is a picture of Gail's tires after 3,500 miles... Everyone's tires are looking bad at this point and I just hope to make it home on mine (I think the total trip will end up being 5,500 miles).

Eric
RFlagg42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 07:07 PM   #2328
RFlagg42
One hoopy frood....

Oddometer: 1,152
Day 7 & 8

2 day's in Newfoundland as part of Gail's Iron Butt Canadian whirlwind motorcycle tour...

Total trip mileage as of this evening: 3,900 miles
Total days riding: 9 (including my ride from VA to the starting point)

Day 7: Deer Lake, NL to St. John's for a Friday night of drinking

We started off the day attempting to take the trail which had been made out of a converted rail bed. It started off fun, but we soon found ourselves in deep gravel that was eating up what little was left of our tires. It soon became apparent it would take us about 4 days to cross Newfoundland on this stuff and we reversed course for a total of 7 miles traveled. I forgot to take pictures of the two naps my bike took while navigating the ATV ruts in the gravel... Besides, it wasn't actually that scenic compared to the paved roads.

Fast forward through 400 miles on scenic highway over to St. John's. St. John's on a Friday or Saturday night is quite a party, and highly recommended. It is also recommended that you already have hotel reservations. The only hotel we could find within walking distance of the bar scene was probably the nicest hotel in all of Newfoundland or Labrador, and out of our budget, but there was no way that was going to keep us from good live music, and Guiness on tap.

At this point, we had to figure out our plan for the departure ferry. Either take a 14-16 hour ferry from St. John's, where we already happened to be, or ride 10 hours to the other side of the island and take a 4-6 hour ferry. We chose the 10 hour ride and the shorter ferry, as we came to ride motorcycles, not slow, smelly ferries.

Day 8: St. John's to Corner Brook.

Early start, and we headed to Cape Spear, which is the Eastern most point of North America (although I think Cadillac Mountain in Acadia National Park, Maine is the first place the sun hits North America).

Again, fast forward through another 450 miles of very scenic highways, and we are a 2 hour drive from the ferry in the morning.

I know the number of pictures I have taken is woefully inadequate and does not meet HBN standards, but here are some of my thoughts on Newfoundland:

1) We had limited time here (as the priority was Labrador), but you could easily spend a week here and spend some more time exploring the small coastal towns. The major highways and roads are all very scenic and pass right by rivers, lakes, and Canadian national parks.
2) It seems very camping friendly. I have passed many national and provincial parks with the camping symbol, in addition to several lakes with RVs everywhere.
3) Extreme weather shifts, be prepared. In one ride, it went from 45 degrees and raining, to 85 degrees and sunny, and then down to 55 degrees with high, almost dangerous, gusts of wind.
4) Unlike Quebec, people are extremely friendly
5) Although there are ATV trails all over the place, not much opportunities for off road if you have a heavy, fully loaded dual sport.

That's about it for now. Monday will be a sprint across Nova Scotia. Not sure where we will ride in Maine, but we are definitely going to try and hit Mt. Washington on the way home.

Enjoy,
Eric

2015 LD Rally Season: Iron Butt Rally (29 Jun - 10 Jul)

"As a dog returns to its vomit, so a fool repeats his folly." - Proverbs 26:11
RFlagg42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 07:45 PM   #2329
HBN
is car free

Oddometer: 11,943
Rock on dude! Really though, get a lanyard so you can take pics on the road. The pros call this a "stop report" not a ride report

AWESOME (get some Scallops in NS )
HBurgNinja - The Thread | HBN Boondocking the Nation | Beards to Canada
HBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 05:40 PM   #2330
REAPER_ONE
YOU'RE DONE

Quote:
Lance,

What is your expected date of return? I hope the trip is going well! How is Katie treating you?
Hey buddy, I'm due back earlier than expected... by two days. My last site needed to reschedule due to a major customer visit. I don't think I'll be going to TX so it will be good to be local for the rest of the year. I'll be looking for your services when I get back. I have a feeling you'll be getting much business...

Katie is in need of some new kicks. I like her but miss Chasey. What can I say, I need two mistresses.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:22 PM   #2331
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

Oddometer: 4,565
Expensive, but two is a minimum.

"For those who fight for it life has a flavor the protected never know."
USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
6USMC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 06:37 PM   #2332
HBN
is car free

Could that have been Bloochdog's by any chance?
Old 07-18-2010, 07:11 PM   #2333
REAPER_ONE
YOU'RE DONE

Quote:
Lance,

After our discussions I went looking for an Adventure top case...well I found one on a traded in Adv down at Morton's. Unfortunately I also found a set of Adventure spoke wheels so the deal was done for the top case and trade my cast wheels plus some $. I took the TKC's off which were on the spoked wheels, for future use, and put on the Tourances for the upcoming trip. Now I have to wait for new attaching bolts for the rear wheel, the cast wheels use shorter bolts. Overall my preps are coming along pretty good, I just need to talk to Eric when he returns for the latest.
When are you headed where the Vikings discovered America 100 years before Columbus? Is your better half still going?
Old 07-19-2010, 06:57 AM   #2334
JaxObsessed
RushMoran....... :D

Oddometer: 12,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS_ADV_PILOT
When are you headed where the Vikings discovered America 100 years before Columbus? Is your better half still going?
I would love to see http://www.mnh.si.edu/vikings/1137.html .L'Anse aux Meadows, Newfoundland. It's on my bucket list.
JaxObsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 11:13 AM   #2335
REAPER_ONE
YOU'RE DONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxObsessed
I would love to see http://www.mnh.si.edu/vikings/1137.html .L'Anse aux Meadows, Newfoundland. It's on my bucket list.
You can do it next year with me. When do you typically take vacation. We will will crash Friday Night at one place. Saturday Morning leave for the trip and Back on Sunday evening. Total of 16 days. All Camping.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:14 AM   #2336
HBN
is car free

I'm thinking I'll pencil this one in

I take vacation whenever the dog is fed, the wife is happy, the kids are tucked away, college fund payments made, mortage paid off, hair cut, bike, truck, boat and motorhome paid for...oh wait...I have none of those issues (all the geezers say "laugh now young man")

Whenever is fine by me

HBN screwed with this post 07-19-2010 at 11:21 AM
Old 07-19-2010, 11:31 AM   #2337
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

Oddometer: 4,565
I'm up for this and my time is more flexible than most. The issue form me is the bike. I either sell it and find something more suited or throw a couple of grand at the KTM and replace the gas tank, the wheels and get more luggage.

"For those who fight for it life has a flavor the protected never know."
USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
6USMC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 11:36 AM   #2338
HBN
is car free

Look at the airhead GS's...
Old 07-19-2010, 12:05 PM   #2339
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 4,193
Running all the big gravel roads in eastern Canada starting in a month then down through lab and newfld. Taking the rat ninja.
jdrocks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 01:31 PM   #2340
lakota
Geeser

Oddometer: 2,978
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxObsessed
or you could come with me. I am leaving on Aug 27 for 2 weeks TLH, Newfoundland, and Nova Scotia.

ancient mariners will be on the loose again.
IBA #42016

my ride reports

follow my ride

lakota is online now   Reply With Quote