Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2010, 10:19 AM   #91
Olas
the darkness

Oddometer: 3,919
Looking nice, YP! What's the reason for the 90 degree bend at the top of the windscreen?
Olas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 10:27 AM   #92
Fast1
Twisted Throttle

Oddometer: 1,821
So there really is only a negligible difference between the stock Arrow with spark arrestor and the FMF with spark arrestor? If so, why make the change? It was my understanding that the factory Arrow exhaust with sparky was designed to meet the 96 db limit at appropriate rpm which your testing confirms.

11 Husqvarna TE630- sold
08 Husqvarna TE510- sold
Fast1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 11:18 AM   #93
1stworks
dude

Oddometer: 1,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Pig
Got some graphics to spiffy up the ugly tank:

looks sweet!!!!
Cant wait to give her a run in the SAND!!!!

Dont be bitchy
Smile.
1stworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 11:23 AM   #94
Yellow Pig OP
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 6,972
Q-So there really is only a negligible difference between the stock Arrow with spark arrestor and the FMF with spark arrestor? If so, why make the change?

Three reasons:

1- Before I got the FMF I was hoping it would be a bit more quiet than the Arrow, w/out being as restrictive as the Husky dB killer.

2-From a purely subjective noise level the FMF seems to me to be more mellow across the sound range, the Arrow has a bit of rasp/ tinniness to me that hurts my ears. ( I've been a bit sensitive to certain sound frequencies , while being tone deaf to others, since I was hit w/ an IED in Iraq)

3- The FMF was on sale for a great price.

In the end 90% of the people out there would be better off saving their $$$$ and sticking w/ the Arrow. Someone had to bite the bullet and do the test run.

Yellow Pig screwed with this post 03-18-2010 at 11:34 AM
Yellow Pig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 11:32 AM   #95
Yellow Pig OP
Allergic to Asphalt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olas
Looking nice, YP! What's the reason for the 90 degree bend at the top of the windscreen?
Two reasons:

1- So as not to have a sharp guillotine type edge on the fairing. That's the part that will get you in the throat or bridge of the nose in a crash.

2- I have found that that little lip really helps w/ airflow. I Copied the old BMW 650 Dakar windscreen

Old 03-27-2010, 02:18 PM   #96
Yellow Pig OP
Allergic to Asphalt!

Since I don't have a rack yet I decided to give the Giant Loop MoJavi a try.

Looks I might not need a rack at all. The Mojavi is well built and fits the bike perfectly. It hold just enough for a day ride (tools, tubes, a bit of extra fuel and the light weight fleece for the morning chill).

Tools on top:

Fuel (2.1 liter Nalgene) on the right away from the exhaust:

Tubes and the rest can go on the left side.

While standing or sitting on the bike you don't even notice it's there. It even gives you plenty of room to slide backward to hop over logs or steep down hills.

I opted to notch the rear fender to give the bag a tighter hold.

Construction seems really solid.

I'm gonna load it up and give it a test run mid week on an enduro circuit.

I'll report back after the real test run.
Old 03-27-2010, 02:42 PM   #97
xscoobysnack
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Where did you buy that bag? I need one of those.
xscoobysnack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 03:13 PM   #98
Yellow Pig OP
Allergic to Asphalt!

Have a look here:

http://tinyurl.com/ydsdszm

Old 03-27-2010, 06:15 PM   #99
Hair
Outside the boxer

Oddometer: 13,413
I came this close to buying your BRP. From the looks of things I did right by holding off. All I need to do now is to buy a 630 and read your thread from page one.

Nice bike, Great setup.
Old 04-08-2010, 01:29 PM   #100
Yellow Pig OP
Allergic to Asphalt!

Well the MoJavi works superbly. I carried 15 lbs of stuff (tools, tubes and spare fuel) and rode for two hours on an Enduro/hare scramble course full of whoops and I only had to snug up the left side once. After that it was rock solid.

Best of all I did not even notice it was there. I only felt the rear tool bag on my bum once while hopping a log.

This bag certainly voids the need for a rear rack.

The only thing holding me back were the god awful stock Karoo II tires. I have since spooned on some Maxxis Desert tires which are guaranteed to be an improvement.

The only caveat and this is mentioned in the mounting instructions is that the bag will scuff up your plastics and you need to install some sort of protective adhesive layer.

No Protection:

Protection:
Old 04-08-2010, 01:39 PM   #101
Yellow Pig OP
Allergic to Asphalt!

I also did my first valve check at 400 miles and everything was in spec. The bike is a dream to work. It's super easy to get the valve cover off and work on the valves. Great design and lots of maneuver room.

While I was at it I added a crank case breather hose so I don't get any oil in the airbox.

Additionally I installed a CRF450X mud-flap since it is a rigid piece versus the floppy rubber OEM Husky one.

The fit is perfect and requires only relocating the left hole.

I also trimmed a bit of the mud-flap to allow it to sit flush w/ the swing arm. There is a section of the upper chain guide which interferes whit the mud flap.

I feel like the OEM chain is too short and should be a couple of links longer to allow for more clearance between the tire and the swing arm. It's pretty tight in there and there is tons of adjustment room to the rear.

Following an inmates suggestion I moved the rear tug strap from the side panel bolts to the rear frame bolt:

Old 04-08-2010, 01:59 PM   #102
Fast1
Twisted Throttle

Oddometer: 1,821
Lucky you to be out riding. I'm surprised they stick Karoos on the TE510 now as stock rubber. The Michelin Enduros that came on my 08 were much better than the Karoos. I also notice clearance issues with a new aggresively knobbed rear tire and the swing arm flap with the stock chain. Since I primarily use a 14 or 15 tooth counter for my ride terrain, I purchased a new chain two links longer. This allows use of all three counter sprockets (13.14.15) although the axle is almost all the way back in the slider slots with the 13 spinning on the front.

Have you had an opportunity to check your fuel economy? During easy dual sport riding mine would do ~40 mpg. Throwing in some deep sand riding and a wrist full of power would put it down in the low 30s. Best was in the mid 40's on packed dirt roads at speeds between 45 and 60 mph with minimal rock throwing from the right wrist.
11 Husqvarna TE630- sold
08 Husqvarna TE510- sold
Fast1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 09:19 PM   #103
Yellow Pig OP
Allergic to Asphalt!

I finally got a few hard off-road miles on the bike by doing several hundred miles of single-track in Utah. Because of the trail ridden I geared back down to 13/47, which was optimal for the more technical stuff. Didn't do much dual sporting, but on the few fire roads we hit I certainly could have use a bit higher gearing.

I didn't get many pictures of the Husky cause my riding buddies are bums and left all the photography to me, plus we were too happy to be riding after a long winter to stop often.

Overall the bike performed well. The suspension was great (all I needed to do was dial in some additional preload in the rear), the power delivery smooth and linear. Compared to my old XR650R the bike feels much lighter and more maneuverable, in particular in the really tight stuff. I do miss the stump pulling torque the BRP has right off the bottom and sometimes wished the Husky has a wider ratio gear box, but overall I love the bike.

A couple of caveats:

- Make sure you check the engine mounting bolts. On day three of the trip I fired the bike up in the morning and heard a strange rattle. Needless to say the upper front bolt was only held in by the skid-plate, having lost it's nut and the lower mounting bolt nut was almost all the way off. I recommend getting some nylock nuts and thread-locking them on.

- The white bike looks great when new, but scuffs up fast in the dirt and is impossible to clean. I still need to try the Mr Clean Magic Eraser trick an inmate suggested. Seems like a great Idea.

- With the EFI you need to really pay attention to the start up sequence. When stopped at a junction waiting for the guy behind you you cant simply turn the key on and hit the starter button and go. It's more like turn the key, wait for the dash to run through the start up sequence and listen for the fuel pump to prime the injectors.....then hit start.

- The bike was sometimes hard to start when warm and would take several seconds of starter to fire or even would require turning off and running the whole start up sequence to fire up.

- The Husky sure looks like she is bleeding to death when you dump it on it's right side and you just filled it w/ fresh bright red synthetic Silkolene oil. The first time it happened I thought I had punctured the case because of all the oil on the ground. The installation of a filter on the breather hose did not slow the flow of blood the least bit when the bike was on its side.

- Not too fond of this super straight kickstand, it's very finicky and almost requires you to lean the bike away from you to get it down. The design could certainly use some improvement.

The Maxis IT Deserts performed well and did not supper any puncture or flats. I ran about 14 ps in the front and 12 in the rear.

When I do change the chain I will go with one that is 2-3 links longer. The stock one is too short and keeps the tire to close to the neck of the swingarm.

The MoJavi bag was great. Once on it never moved and required minimal snugging every other day.

That's all I got for now.

Yellow Pig screwed with this post 05-05-2010 at 09:31 PM
Yellow Pig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 03:58 AM   #104
sp4ce
Orange Invader

Oddometer: 431
thanks!

Thanks for all the info and continued updates

I'm swapping my 94 WXC 610 in for a new 09 TE450 this weekend.
sp4ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 08:44 AM   #105
Yellow Pig OP
Allergic to Asphalt!

The tanks should be available around the 15th of Sept according to the Just Gas Tanks web site.

I'm torn on which color to pick:

-WHITE: looks best, especially once you put the red Husky grafix on the side, but white gets dirty really fast and is almost impossible to keep looking nice and clean.

-BLACK: looks cool and will look sharp w/ the red Husky side-panel grafix on it. My main concern w/ the black is it absorbers too much heat and tends to make the gas boil.

-NATURAL: looks like shit, but is very functional. Keeps the gas cool and allows you to see the fuel level.