Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2009, 09:59 AM   #1
CaptnExcitement OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Aerostich Kanetsu AIRVANTAGE electric liner.

Troubleshooting my new Kanetsu AIRVANTAGE electric liner.

I bought a Darien Jacket, Pants and Heated liner last month but it seems the liner is not working. Before I send it back to Aerostich and wait a couple weeks for a replacement.... I hope it's a simple problem than can be easily fixed.

I'm running a 2009 BMW R1200GS Adventure. When I plugged the liner into the bike with the BMW plug, the on off button on the cord initially lit up for about a second but then went out. Not heat from the liner at all.

My questions are as follows:

1.) Did I blow a fuse? Is there one in the cord?

2.) If there is a break in any of the wires in the liner would the light on the cord remain on?

3.) CANBUS: links to threads on how it works would probably be helpful too.

4.) When I do get the liner working how warm does it get? Should I invest in a thermostat?

Regards,
Dave

CaptnExcitement screwed with this post 12-07-2009 at 12:49 PM
CaptnExcitement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:47 AM   #2
Garp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,176
If you plugged it into the stock BMW connector near the seat, then I suspect the vest is drawing too much power and Canbus shut down the outlet to protect you from yourself.

Best solution is to replace the outlet with one from Powerlet that us wired to the battery and bypasses Canbus.

If the vest came with a battery hookup, install that temporarily to make sure the vest is working as designed.
Garp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:57 AM   #3
jeffs900s
Prophet of Doom

Oddometer: 1,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garp
If you plugged it into the stock BMW connector near the seat, then I suspect the vest is drawing too much power and Canbus shut down the outlet to protect you from yourself.

Best solution is to replace the outlet with one from Powerlet that us wired to the battery and bypasses Canbus.

If the vest came with a battery hookup, install that temporarily to make sure the vest is working as designed.
+1.

Somewhere in the Aerostich catalog it even tells you that you can't run their liners off of the BMW plug. Vests are OK - jackets draw too many amps.

jeffs900s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 01:21 PM   #4
CaptnExcitement OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Thanks for the info,

Jeffs900s, found the info you mentioned IRT the BMW socket on the AEROSTICH website it reads as follows:

"*Electric Liner compatibility: 2006 and newer BMW CAN-bus outlets are limited to 5.0 amps. Kanetsu Electric Liners (#264 & #267) and the Kanetsu AirVantage Electric Liner (#291) draw 5.55.7 amps, so the CAN-bus shuts down the circuit. The Kanetsu Electric Vests and Kanetsu Airvantage Electric Vests are ok because they draw less amps (no heated sleeves). All Kanetsu Liners can be used with the 2006 BMWs if a fused outlet is attached directly to the battery (BMW Accessory Socket #108 and In Line Blade Fuse Holder #4664 with a 10 amp fuse) or if a 1.25 ohm resistor is inserted in the BMW accessory outlet circuit."

Appreciate the feed back, now I know just enough to be dangerous. Time to sort out what plugs and wires I need to order to get this deal up and running (in other words spend more money $67). I guess that's what I get for not reading all the instructions.

On a side note, now that the CAN-bus has disabled the outlet, what do I need to do to reset it? Does the CAN-bus reset the outlet after I turn the bike off?

Dave
CaptnExcitement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 06:46 PM   #5
JR356
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnExcitement
Thanks for the info,

Jeffs900s, found the info you mentioned IRT the BMW socket on the AEROSTICH website it reads as follows:

"*Electric Liner compatibility: 2006 and newer BMW CAN-bus outlets are limited to 5.0 amps. Kanetsu Electric Liners (#264 & #267) and the Kanetsu AirVantage Electric Liner (#291) draw 5.55.7 amps, so the CAN-bus shuts down the circuit. The Kanetsu Electric Vests and Kanetsu Airvantage Electric Vests are ok because they draw less amps (no heated sleeves). All Kanetsu Liners can be used with the 2006 BMWs if a fused outlet is attached directly to the battery (BMW Accessory Socket #108 and In Line Blade Fuse Holder #4664 with a 10 amp fuse) or if a 1.25 ohm resistor is inserted in the BMW accessory outlet circuit."

Appreciate the feed back, now I know just enough to be dangerous. Time to sort out what plugs and wires I need to order to get this deal up and running (in other words spend more money $67). I guess that's what I get for not reading all the instructions.

On a side note, now that the CAN-bus has disabled the outlet, what do I need to do to reset it? Does the CAN-bus reset the outlet after I turn the bike off?

Dave
The system resets itself.
Get the Powerlet iCan harness described in a previous post,its pretty close to plug n play.
www.powerletproducts.com
I have one on front and rear plugs on my GS.

JR356
JR356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 08:42 AM   #6
Catskill
tree hugger

Oddometer: 1,783
sorry to dig up an old thread but can any body tell me if they used the powerlet link above to solve this issue?

I ride a F800gs and i'd love to pick up this jacket liner but I want to make sure it will not blow the circuit...

If we stuff the duck with chocolate, does that make him a fudge packer?
Catskill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 11:34 AM   #7
NorthernBoxer
Fkengrven

Oddometer: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catskill
sorry to dig up an old thread but can any body tell me if they used the powerlet link above to solve this issue?

I ride a F800gs and i'd love to pick up this jacket liner but I want to make sure it will not blow the circuit...
I have the Kanetsu Airvantage Electric vest (best thing that exists in the world!) and I installed a powerlet socket on the front of my 1200GS. The socket is directly connected to the battery. I have not used the stock rear socket for my vest, so I don't know if the canbus would shutdown the socket or not... but the vest works fine in the new powerlet socket. No issues.

did I mention the the Airvantage vest is the best thing that exists in the world?
NorthernBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 11:57 AM   #8
PJungnitsch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 368
When you order you could just get the SAE or quickconnect 2 kits instead of the BMW male. Both come with direct to battery connections.

Aerostich does sell a separate Powerlet socket, or Eastern Beaver has a variety of kits:

http://easternbeaver.com/Main/Produc...cket_kits.html
PJungnitsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 05:23 PM   #9
Catskill
tree hugger

Oddometer: 1,783
Ok Thank you guys! All ready got some good reviews on the jacket now this anwers my questions about how to make it happen with my bike.

Thanks again.

If we stuff the duck with chocolate, does that make him a fudge packer?
Catskill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 02:25 PM   #10
roadkilt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
So I have an 04 1150GS and just bought an Aerostich Airvantage electric liner (not the vest).

1) Does my bike have the CANBUS electrics?

2) And if so, will I need to connect the jacket to the battery to bypass it?

My confusion stems from the Aerostich blurb about 2006 and above bikes wont work with the BMW plug/connector and need to be wired in to the battery.

THanks for the help!

I always come back from one of these trips with about 350 pictures of my bike - Ewan McGregor

Previous Bikes:
08 Versys
02 KLR
roadkilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 08:05 PM   #11
JR356
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkilt View Post
so i have an 04 1150gs and just bought an aerostich airvantage electric liner (not the vest).

1) does my bike have the canbus electrics?
no,and actually it's the zfe that controls electrics,not the canbus.
But so many folks call it that way,that it's in widespread usage now.

2) and if so, will i need to connect the jacket to the battery to bypass it?
just use the factory socket in your case.
Canbus/zfe issues only applies to the 1200gs series.

my confusion stems from the aerostich blurb about 2006 and above bikes wont work with the bmw plug/connector and need to be wired in to the battery.

Thanks for the help!
Your welcome.
JR356
JR356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 02:17 PM   #12
I-Su.Yu
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
F800GS Power Draw w/ Heated Grips

I'm in the market for a heated vest. I'd like to know if anyone who's using the Aerostich Kanetsu AIRVANTAGE *and* the heated grips on their F800GS is experiencing any power draw issues?

Thanks.
I-Su.Yu is offline   Reply With Quote