Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2009, 03:38 PM   #1
Robbiedebob OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Starting problems with 07 KTM 640

Guys

Need some help it's driving me crazy. It first started a couple of months ago when it wouldn't start in neutral. I clicked it into gear then back into neutral and it started no problems. A week or so later it did it again but this time when I did the above proceedure it still didn't start so I left it in gear pulled the clutch and it fired up.
This continued to become more frequent as the days went on. I use my bike for the daily commute aswell as seeing the country. It got so bad that the neutral light would flicker and then dissapear, the dash lights would'nt come on and anything I tried would not start it. It eventually come to the point of having to turn the ignition key on hit the button, hope it would start (because it didn't happen every time) if not put it in gear rock it back and forward until it made a small click sound and the dash lights came on and then she'd fire up.
Took it to the bike shop who replaced the neutral switch and all has been good for a few days until yesterday. Same thing happening.It's obviously an electrical gremlin but any thoughts as to where to start looking.
I just went to start it this morning. Ignition on, all lights and display working except for the neutral light. Press starter button, nothing. Pull in clutch (in neutral) fired up straight away.

Cheers
92 WR 200
Robbiedebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 05:06 PM   #2
Luke
GPoET&P

Oddometer: 4,111
The fact that rocking it makes it work sounds really weird.

The bike is designed to not start unless the neutral or clutch switch are closed.

Find the neutral switch (it's near the countershaft). Clean off the contact- it's exposed, and follow the wire up under the tank to see if it's broken anywhere.

The neutral switch grounds it's contact when in neutral, and opens it when in gear.

Also check and clean up the ground lugs. There are several- a couple near the battery and ignition module, and one up in the wiring mess under the dash. Check the battery terminals.

Those are just standard guesses. What sort of click is it? Tiny relay click or transmission shifting click?
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 05:16 PM   #3
Zerodog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,233
My money is on the ignition switch. How many miles do you have?

All those vibes on little solder joints. Mine crapped out at about 20,000 miles. My buddies did at 22,000. I fixed my old one and filled it full of silicone. Then I bought a new one and pulled it apart and filled it full of silicone too. That is one way to get your ass stranded in the middle of fucking no where.
Zerodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 06:06 PM   #4
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,986
Zerodog is likely on the right track... Take a hold of the wire loom going into the bottom of the switch, give it a wiggle and see if the lights flicker....

There is a relay under the right side cover back of the Ignition CDI module that is often suspect... Check the wires going into this for breaks and bare spots.... Another area that wires tend to rub is under the dash panel... Remove it and unplug the speedo/tach and powerlet and then go over the wires that are ziptied to the crossframe as well as the plug clusters.... These checks should be part of your regular maintenance as the vibration combined with the thin shielding on the wires can lead to problems....

gunnerbuck screwed with this post 12-08-2009 at 07:42 PM
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 11:57 PM   #5
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerbuck
Zerodog is likely on the right track... Take a hold of the wire loom going into the bottom of the switch, give it a wiggle and see if the lights flicker....

There is a relay under the right side cover back of the Ignition CDI module that is often suspect... Check the wires going into this for breaks and bare spots.... Another area that wires tend to rub is under the dash panel... Remove it and unplug the speedo/tach and powerlet and then go over the wires that are ziptied to the crossframe as well as the plug clusters.... These checks should be part of your regular maintenance as the vibration combined with the thin shielding on the wires can lead to problems....
This summer I kept getting a dead battery if the bike sat for 24 hours. Without even trying hard I found 3 bare spot wires under the dash and one under the right side cover.

Things are back to normal now.
bill

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 07:43 AM   #6
Hipster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,740
+1 on the ignition switch. My '01 640 was acting up on me and disassembling the switch for cleaning helped for a while but, I wound up replacing the switch to eliminate the problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerodog
My money is on the ignition switch. How many miles do you have?

All those vibes on little solder joints. Mine crapped out at about 20,000 miles. My buddies did at 22,000. I fixed my old one and filled it full of silicone. Then I bought a new one and pulled it apart and filled it full of silicone too. That is one way to get your ass stranded in the middle of fucking no where.
Hipster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 09:23 PM   #7
dog'meat
Presidient

Oddometer: 168
Battery (+) Connector

Mine started to do the same kind of crap...

I found that the wire crimped to the connector at the positive of the battery -which is hidden under a rubber boot- was completely cut, (those vibes are serious thing) only grabbed by the boot but making random contact as the bike moves...

I found that when at the blackout moment it went back on upon a hit made with my fist at the back of the seat, just over the battery place...
Mexico City, Xilitla, Aquismon, the Cave, the River and the Shangrila...
Mexico City, Cuetzalan, Nautla, Veracruz
dog'meat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 03:09 AM   #8
Robbiedebob OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Thanks for all the suggestions. Sorry I have not replied earlier but I have had computer problems. Damm windows 7.
I have gone into the dash and checked all the wires and have not found any bare wires. The neutral light hardly comes on anymore but the bike starts straight away when I pull the clutch in. I did find a lose earth connection under the seat. Next step is to get the ignition checked. I will keep you posted.

Cheers
92 WR 200
Robbiedebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 09:10 AM   #9
Fogger
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1
I've had the cables rub through the insulation, and had the battery wire break on my '05 640sm. The cable rub occurred in the main wiring loom near the ignition box. Whoever had installed it at the factory had put a twist in the loom that forced the wires against each other. It's been problem free since I fixed it and untwisted the loom. A mates '02 640 Enduro had a similar problem that caused it to cut out randomly. I think his problems were caused by wiring near the ignition switch. My local KTM dealer gave me the impression that it was a fairly common issue.

'05 KTM 640SM
'84 Kawasaki GPz750 Turbo (in pieces)
'83 Kawasaki GPz750 (stolen)
'78 Yamaha XS400 (given away)
Fogger is offline   Reply With Quote