Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2015, 04:49 PM   #1
petre OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
New intelligent brake light for bicycles and motorcycles

Hello fellow riders,

It took me a few years to bring it from a simple idea to a working design and another year of testing and tweaking in front of my bedazzled neighbors but finally my new brake light is ready. It detects abrupt decelerations and filters effectively false positives while also allowing the user to configure its 40 LED matrix with 40 dot resolution shapes.

The latest challenge (solved) was to make it work with the latest BMW motorcycles that send a pulse signal on the brake line when the brake is not applied.

In parallel, to keep funding the project I've designed a 2.4amp USB charger as well which is also available in customizable variants on my site

More details at www.ohmics.com
petre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 04:59 PM   #2
adkjack
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
Hi Petre!

In what way is your invention different from this?:

http://vololights.com/
"Occam's Razor"
adkjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 06:05 PM   #3
petre OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by adkjack View Post
Hi Petre!

In what way is your invention different from this?:

http://vololights.com/
I was wondering how long would take before someone asked that question :)

I have not tested the Vololights product (and not planning to but I'm monitoring their updates, of course and I think it is a great product. The basic idea is surely the same and they had the advantage of a bigger team an better marketing whereas I'm alone and did this all by myself therefore I was not as quick to the market and surely I don't have the flashy packaging they do but I'm passionate about it since I have been fiddling with the idea for the past 7 years since I've been riding.

But I believe mine packs more features and it is very scalable via firmware upgrades:
- you have a 40 LED matrix you can configure to show any shape via a Windows GUI.
- Mine does not require constant calibration (I understood theirs does but that could be old info).
- firmware updates will allow many other features and sky is the limit with my device
- you can install mine in virtually any motorcycle including the latest 2014 BMW's which send pulses on the brake line. It does not trip the CAN bus when installed as it draws only 150mAmps
- you can use my device with motorcycles, bicycles or even patch it on the back of your T shirt as you do your afternoon jogging with your friends running in tight formation :). I'm not sure you can do that with the Vololights :) Not without looking geek anyway.
- I designed mine to blend with a BMW motorcycle lines. I made it of aluminum enclosure so it is extremely sturdy.
- The LED's are extremely bright. Each one of the forty LED's pack 1800millicandela. It I so bright that at 1 meter it hurts your eyes.
- It also activates during a normal brake and if the brake is pressed more than 500ms, a white bright LED bar flashes just like the stop lights in some US cities to increase visibility (can be disabled where regulation does not permit it)

These are just a few things I can think of.

petre screwed with this post 03-07-2015 at 07:38 AM Reason: typos
Old 03-06-2015, 09:58 PM   #4
Tripletreat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 600
I think there is room in the market for two similar products. Both Volo and yours seem like very nice safety features. I was hit by a car from behind once. Fortunately I was not injured but the accident sharpened my appreciation for good lighting at the rear of the motorcycle.
Good luck to you, Petre.
Old 03-07-2015, 07:41 AM   #5
petre OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripletreat View Post
I think there is room in the market for two similar products. Both Volo and yours seem like very nice safety features. I was hit by a car from behind once. Fortunately I was not injured but the accident sharpened my appreciation for good lighting at the rear of the motorcycle.
Good luck to you, Petre.
Thank you Tripletreat, it is much appreciated! Yeah, I know, way too many things to do and I agree the website needs some more work and yes, videos, more pictures will be posted as soon as the roads up here in the frozen Ottawa begin to thaw..
Old 03-07-2015, 07:51 AM   #6
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,969
Website seems down.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 08:00 AM   #7
petre OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
Website seems down.
Seems fine from here
Old 03-08-2015, 01:47 PM   #8
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 57,142
Looks good, I'd get one if I didn't have the Vololights unit, which only needs to be calibrated once upon installation.

Would you happen to have a video that demo's your unit in use? (I realize LED's are hard to video because of the frame rate / flashing effect, but we can discern the difference.)

Old 03-08-2015, 03:41 PM   #9
petre OP
Adventurer

There will be some videos soon. I'm just waiting for the weather to improve. Right now the roads are covered in snow and ice. Thank you for your patience..
Old 03-10-2015, 06:42 PM   #10
NorthBayPete
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
brake light

Wow something made in Canada! My Daugher lives in Ottawa and plans to start riding this summer. Can she pick one up directly from you?
NorthBayPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 07:47 PM   #11
petre OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthBayPete View Post
Wow something made in Canada! My Daugher lives in Ottawa and plans to start riding this summer. Can she pick one up directly from you?
Yes Sir, it my be cold up here but we gotta' keep thinking to keep warm:)
And sure thing she can pick one up. I can help with installation too if needed be. I'm in Kanata. My email is on my website at www.ohmics.com
Made some videos today and will try posting them soon.
Old 03-11-2015, 02:31 AM   #12
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by petre View Post

But I believe mine packs more features and it is very scalable via firmware upgrades:
- you have a 40 LED matrix you can configure to show any shape via a Windows GUI.
I like this product, especially if it can be customized to flash - FYYFF

edit: How is it powered for use on a bicycle?
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 03:55 AM   #13
petre OP
Adventurer

In terms of features, only the space in flash is the limit, really although for feature hungry I can probably upgrade to a uC that has same footprint and more memory for more money. It can be customized to flash any way you want but at some point there could be a trade off in what features you want to keep which would result in a custom firmware. In fact I've had to build a custom firmware for someone who wanted to use it as a road presence on a bicycle (e.g) flash continuously the red matrix or only a few LEDs on it.

The unit has three connections: +/- VCC and Brake in. On a bicycle the unit has a custom variant cabling that has brake in left not connected ( so only the accelerometer mode works) and the +/-VCC (which can range from 4.6Vto 36V) is connected to a USB micro receptacle. In turn one can use a USB battery pack sold in stores to which you connect using a regular USB cable that normally ships with the battery pack or with my unit. All is left is to set the unit to high sensitivity and pedal away (or rather brake away).

Again, I will have to put up some videos but it is still treacherous outside..
Old 03-11-2015, 06:11 AM   #14
beemerbum
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Intelligent Brake Light - finally getting some road tests in...

I've been helping petre do some testing and evaluation of the Ohmics Intelligent MotoBrake Light - it is a very flexible, configurable and evolvable system. Output is excellent - decal or brake mode and the centre white blinking line marker is a great visual.

With the roads clearing up nicely today, some short (hasty) video runs yesterday and Petre just happened to stop by, so was able to get some video for possible posting.

I'll be doing some more video runs over the next day or so as long as the roads stay safe. I have both Tint and Translucent screen modules mounted on the GSW so the output from both can be displayed simultaneously for comparison purposes.

And as I do product evaluations and testing, I will likely be getting a Vololight in the near future so a comparison can be done. Both products have their own unique features with both providing a long overdue addition to our safety envelopes.

Cheers, Bruce
Old 03-11-2015, 04:50 PM   #15
petre OP
Adventurer

Just uploaded a couple of videos here:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJ_...YCEJCg1AA8FLXQ

Thanks go to my friend beemerbum for helping out and enduring the March Ottawa cold wind while testing the unit.