Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2009, 11:26 AM   #1
johnnyadventurepants OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 492
Letting the Tiger stretch her legs: WA to Jasper, Banff, Waterton, Glacier N.P.'s

So it is September now and that kind of put a scare in me. Soon there will be no more riding in the mountains until late next spring so I started thinking about one last trip. Banff is nice and I could get there in one day. From there, the trip changed daily: if I drove all the way to Banff, I had to visit my brother near Red Deer, AB. And why drive the same way back? I may as well check out Waterton and Glacier National Parks too: they only added 25% more riding, but twice the views. I talked about riding with my brother in law who just started riding this year on his Wee Strom. We did a "test ride" together and we both agreed that it would be better if I did it solo. He would be under way too much pressure, and I didn't want to be feeling held back the whole trip. It is pretty easy to lose someone in the mountains if they are a little slower: like when you have to pass three logging trucks in a row in the twisties! Things fell into place: I could get off work the week I wanted to, a few chiropractor adjustments felt pretty good, and the Triumph dealer got me in right away for the 12K maintenance. The one thing I struggled with was the rear tire. The TKC 80 had 2500 miles on it and I estimate the trip to be around 2300 miles. This is the first set I have run on the Tiger and I don't know what to expect for mileage: I read reports of people getting anywhere from 1500 to 8000 miles out of them. It has lots of life left and I think it will make it, but I don't want to worry about it the whole trip so I order a Mitas E09 Dakar from gnarlyparts.ca and it arrives in 2 days! (yeh that's right- I ordered something from Canada to save money! )

I am known for taking LOTS of pictures, so stay tuned...
johnnyadventurepants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 11:31 AM   #2
the darth peach
eats crackers in bed

Oddometer: 11,397
Tiger.
IN.

the darth peach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 12:19 PM   #3
johnnyadventurepants OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 1

I know going into this that this is going to be the hardest day of the whole trip. The goal is to get to my brother's house, so it is a super slab day, not a take my time to enjoy the scenery day. The longest I have ridden straight is about 3.5 hours so this is going to be an eye opener. I bought a sheepskin from alaskaleathers.com (Barb in the vendors forum) to hopefully help out. The first half of the trip is pretty boring. I have done it multiple times and even though it is mountainous, it is boring mountains.

All right, let's get started.... I wake up at 4:30 in the morning to get a good start and I hear it just start to rain. I feel kind of bad because my 3 girls are still sleeping and I don't get to say good bye to them. It is only a week, but when they are young, that seems like forever away from them.

I cross into Canada at the Sumas crossing. Canadian agents are known as being a pain in the ass. I already told you I don't have any weapons on me
.... what business of yours is it if I own guns or not?

The first 3-4 hours of riding are the worst riding of my life. It is raining really hard, dark, and in the 30's. My "waterproof" pants get soaked through the crotch and my leather gloves are soaked. I am so cold and it gets worse every minute. I have exerience riding in cold rain... but riding in it for 1 hour is so different than hour upon hour. I start to think bad thoughts like "I don't even care if I crash right now because at least then I don't have to focus on being so cold!" At least the heated grips are keeping me sane and semi safe. The best 40 bucks I have spent and my favorite farkle! I push my self to Merritt for fuel and breakfast. I almost blow the exit. I have been cruising in my frozen position at 80 mph for so long I don't even realize how fast I am going into the wet corner. And my hands and feet don't really have much feeling. It is so weird. I drive into town with no feeling.... like it is the fist time I have driven a bike. At the gas station I can't get the key into the tank. I go to some hotel for breakfast and just sit there shaking like crazy. I am spilling coffee while drinking it. Man this sucks! I finally warm up and I change all of my clothes I am feeling a lot better. It keeps raining until Kamloops. The rest of the day is perfect weather. Sunny, but not too warm.

That is probably the longest I have ridden without taking a picture! Here is the first taken in Revelstoke:

I finally start getting "good" mountains around Rogers Pass:

I know of a place where I want to stop. Just on the east side of all the snow sheds, there is a little trail leading up to an old bridge (railroad?) over a waterfall. My wife and I "discovered" it a few years back and thought it was pretty cool. There is a gate at the bottom, but it is cracked open a little bit... like it is saying "motorcycles only". Well, that is how I interpreted it. I squeeze between the post and the gate but my right pannier is hitting so I lean the bike over on the left to clear it. I try to reach back on my right to open the gate a little more but I can't reach it because I am leaning so far over on my left. The bike is getting really heavy but I can't set it straight up any more because the right pannier is against the gate. If I drop it, I am screwed because it is a steep hill on my left. Besides, I can't drop it... I am 6' 8"... I just don't do that. After what seems like forever, I manage to get through the gate with just a scratch on the pannier. The funny thing is that I could have gotten off the bike and opened the gate more and avoided all of this! I didn't feel like it because I felt like I was sneaking in (even though gate was unlocked and no signs) and wanted to get by as soon as possible without all of the highway traffic seeing me. So much for that plan! I climb the trail and it is way worse than it was 8 years ago. Overgrown, slippery, and bumpy. I make it to the top and there is a tree over the trail. Not wanting to risk anything, I build a ramp on both sides of the tree with some wood and drive onto the bridge. Amazing old bridge with beautiful waterfall.

Amazing shape for the age:

johnnyadventurepants screwed with this post 09-12-2009 at 03:11 PM
Old 09-12-2009, 12:57 PM   #4
johnnyadventurepants OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 1 Continued

I enter Banff NP but today I am going to stay on the highway. There is construction in the park so they have ridiculously low speed limits posted (like 50 kmph on a four lane not by workers).

At a rest stop, just north of town of Banff:

Outside of the park, the speeds pick up quite nicely. Albertans drive way faster than people from WA and BC: they are terrible! I am from Michigan where people drive really fast and it drove me nuts when I moved to WA! Many are quite content to stick 10 mph under the speed limits. I get onto highway 2 north but my butt can't take it anymore just 45 min from my brothers house. Not one more minute! I pull onto the side of the highway and lay in the ditch for 20 minutes. Man this feels good! I look up at my bike and think, "Hey, that looks cool, I better take a pic of it."

I make it to my brother Chris's house just after dark. Here are today's stats:

Do I qualify for a metric iron butt? I know lots of guys drive twice this a day, but that isn't for me. This is as long as I would like. I shut my GPS off at stops for gas/food/rest so that is why stopped time is so low. Total time is about 14 hours today.

johnnyadventurepants screwed with this post 09-12-2009 at 03:09 PM
Old 09-12-2009, 03:05 PM   #5
johnnyadventurepants OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Hanging out for the weekend

I get garage privileges while I'm here

His current project: building a wood shed. Of course, I have to take the Prowler around his acreage.

My brother and I both like Toyota trucks

68 Land Cruiser with plow. If you want one, I think he's ready to sell

I go to the Lacombe Corn Maze to see my old grade school buddy Reuben (I lived in Lacombe for 5 years). He owns the maze.

My last night there, we go fishing on Gull Lake. We used to do that a lot when we were younger.

I catch a couple OK size pike

It is really nice to spend a couple days with Chris as we don't get to see eachother that much anymore.
Old 09-12-2009, 04:08 PM   #6
zadok
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 988
Wow...what a great ride. Good to see the Tiger. How did those tyres handle the tar seal? They look quite knobbly.

http://www.triumphrat.net/memberalbu...4275.html?sl=z
zadok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 05:07 PM   #7
johnnyadventurepants OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Central AB to Jasper

I leave my brother's house at 7:30 am and it is pretty chilly. There is frost/ice on the sides of the road and on bridges. I get to Rocky Mountain House pretty fast and then the deer start. I see about 30 of them between RMH and Nordegg and many run across the road, but none too close or scary. What was scary was the crazy wind that started. Is it really that bad or is it my imagination? I stop for gas/breakfast in Nordegg and realize that it isn't my imagination- the gravel roads are kicking up walls of dust. The lady at the resturant says they are having a really bad week for wind. I head west out of Nordegg and stop at Crescent Falls. It is nice to ride slowy and get out of the wind.

Even though most of this ride is pavement, it is nice to have knobbies when the pavement ends. On this pic you can kind of see how soft much of the gravel is:

It amazes me that such a big powerful waterfall can start from a little slow stream. That is what happens when you force a lot of water in a little space:

This is one of my favorite areas of the Banff area: just east of the park, along Abraham Lake. There are areas where you can drive right down to the water, but unfortunately the wind is too bad. I am leaning one way to keep upright and then WHAM I get hit from the other side. I come to a section where the road cuts right through the rock and it is like I ride into a solid wall. Extreme wind. I have never experienced anything like it. There were rolling white caps on the Abraham Lake and water was hitting the shore and spraying up really high into the air. I think to myself that I am glad I am not on a smaller bike right now. And that my newb brother in law isn't with me.

johnnyadventurepants screwed with this post 09-12-2009 at 06:01 PM
Old 09-12-2009, 05:13 PM   #8
johnnyadventurepants OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zadok
Wow...what a great ride. Good to see the Tiger. How did those tyres handle the tar seal? They look quite knobbly.
I am very impressed with how the TKC's handle on the pavement. You have to be a little careful in the rain (gassing it or hitting large painted sections) but you don't have to be paranoid: it's really not that bad. I got the Mitas rear because it is much cheaper and is rumored to last much longer. I can't tell any difference in how it rides. I plan on only running knobbies on the Tiger because:

1. They handle just fine on the road.

2. They are a huge help on the trails and back roads. I never bother airing down.

3. They look so sexy for all of the pics.
Old 09-12-2009, 05:31 PM   #9
johnnyadventurepants OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Central AB to Jasper Continued

I head north at the Crossing toward Jasper. Lots of beautiful spots everywhere.

At about 6700 feet it starts snowing a little:

johnnyadventurepants screwed with this post 09-12-2009 at 05:42 PM
Old 09-12-2009, 06:38 PM   #10
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,842
Love those Rockies ride reports

Old 09-12-2009, 09:45 PM   #11
johnnyadventurepants OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I stop at the Colombia Icefields Center:

These are the huge buses that take tourists onto the glacier. My wife and I went 8 years ago and it was pretty neat- but one of those things that once is enough.

Athabaska Falls:

Old 09-12-2009, 10:08 PM   #12
johnnyadventurepants OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Just south of town of Jasper. That is Pyramid Mt in the background:

Heading down to Maligne Lake and see some of these:

And finally I get to Maligne Lake: absolutely gorgeous!

It is a little early to set up camp so I head up to Hinton for supper:

I see several loads of these: They aren't my size so I just pass them and keep on going.

I camp at Whistler Campground, on the south side of the town of Jasper. It is really cold and my toes go numb. I find out the next day that I had the vent in my sleeping bag open down by my feet

Stats for the 2nd riding day:
Old 09-12-2009, 10:43 PM   #13
johnnyadventurepants OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Jasper to Waterton Lakes

Old 09-12-2009, 11:13 PM   #14
johnnyadventurepants OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Just south of the Saskatchewan Crossing is one of my favorite places in the Canadian Rockies: Mistaya Canyon. It is where the wide river suddenly becomes only a few feet wide and cuts through the rock. You can really see the power of the water here as you can walk out on the flat rocks and stand right over all of the action.

Old 09-12-2009, 11:27 PM   #15
alba
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110

I had hoped to do a similar trip this year, looks like I've left it too late. Cool pics.
alba is offline   Reply With Quote