I'm in for this one!

Reading about that BBQ made me so hungry I had to go get some
BBQ for dinner tonight.
scottmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 07:40 PM   #17
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,604
Aaahhh.....yes....Sanderson it was indeed. The game of dodging deer had become overly dangerous. Beyond anything I've ever seen as we came down through the last canyon run. Add to that some rather cool night-time temps in the teens, and it didn't take long to vote on the Motel for the night.

The next thing that happened was oddly strange...

Monty was working on his bike again....already!

Oh well, I'm gonna rustle up some fine Mountain House grub and hit the shower! Not sure how long he was out there in the cold putting Frankenstein to bed.

Day 3

Here you can see why we felt safe picking this motel over the others:

No....not the bike. It was all the bullet holes in the sign. We figured there must be armed guards to protect our bikes here. And of course, if Frankenstein didn't survive, we could always return for this fine backup machine for Monty to ride:

It seemed well trained for the harsh mountain exploits of the Chiuahuan desert. And here is the proud owner of said machine, & proprietor of this fine establishment:

If you look hard past him a ways, there is an old KLR hiding under that motorcycle cover. This guy came running out the door when we pulled in....saying "I knew I heard some KLR's coming in...Welcome Welcome!"

He was so busy telling adventurous stories to Monty, that I finally had to lean over and whisper (very quietly)..."you're in a hurry, remember?" Yup, that got him moving again.

Next stop would be the town of Marathon. The last gas stop before entering the Big Bend National Park.

But before I could get there, I found this:

Who knows......?? This was just out there along a crossroad. No sign. No explanation.

Only in Texas!

HF
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com

HighFive screwed with this post 12-09-2009 at 07:49 PM
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:01 PM   #18
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Finally, we made it.

Big Bend or Bust! Over 1,100 miles since leaving Rancho Highfive, we're here!

And Monty is sooooo excited.

Or is he just freezing....its hard to tell.

Apparently they've got a lot of rules here, as this takes a while.

But that's alright, I'm not in a hurry...

They've even got speed limits on the dirt roads, which seemed odd.

Oh...but how deceptive this first appeared. Not too much further, I discover its good....its all really REALLY good.

And I soon realize that I am genuinely smack dab in the middle of nowhere!
HF

HighFive screwed with this post 12-09-2009 at 08:12 PM
Old 12-10-2009, 07:37 AM   #19
Krabill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,286
That's a beautiful site
Krabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 08:49 AM   #20
Monty
Calm Like a Bomb

Oddometer: 190

By that afternoon there was a storm system moving through and we started to get some rain.

Monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 09:45 AM   #21
indianscout
Dexter

Oddometer: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty
Everybody knows that HighFive is the master chef of food cooked on a stick.

What?!?! That looks like Jiffy Pop popcorn!!

indianscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 11:20 AM   #22
Krabill
Beastly Adventurer

Jiffy Pop on a stick to be exact
Old 12-10-2009, 11:25 AM   #23
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,851
Is there any food that can't be made better by cooking it on a stick over a campfire? Nope, didn't think so.
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 11:36 AM   #24
Monty
Calm Like a Bomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianscout
What?!?! That looks like Jiffy Pop popcorn!!

Nothing but the best!
Old 12-10-2009, 03:44 PM   #25
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

If you're going to camp in the Big Bend, you have to take the long ride up to park headquarters at Panther Junction to select and pay for your "spot". Monty warned me to stay within the 45 mph speed limit on the paved road...as they will ticket you for just 2 mph over! Sure enough, 12 miles ahead we passed a Park Ranger hiding behind a bush with a radar gun.

Anyway, Monty takes care of business and then we ride our pack mules for nearly 1 hour into the back country to his favorite little hidy hole. It was a beauty too....where we were sure to never be interrupted by anyone!

We setup camp in some rather ominous looking weather, then set out to exploring....for the rest of the day. Think we did about 100 miles by dark....rain & all. I can't explain the beauty of this area adequately. Every 10 miles or so, it seems like you've entered a whole different Eco-System. It really starts growing on you....while you get swallowed by the stunning surroundings.

This wall was big....really big. Maybe 1,000 ft tall...

I could easily spend a day exploring this canyon wall on foot. Add that to my Bucket List for next time.

Closer to the Rio Grande River, down near the Village, we find this cool tunnel.

And the view on the other side....well....just takes your breath away!

These last two photos are a progression as Monty rides down the road. Look very hard into the center of the last photo and you can see the tiny black dot in the road....that's Monty. Yeah, its kind of like that. A bit overwhelming. Pictures can never do it justice because you simply don't get the "feeling" that occurs when you're there. But hang in there, we'll keep trying...

HF
Old 12-10-2009, 04:01 PM   #26
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

We move onward to the River Road down in the desert floor which parallels the Rio Grande. I've heard about all the deep nasty sand before, but honestly, just didn't seem to encounter any of that....seriously. It wasn't hard pack, but I wouldn't hesitate to ride a 950 Adventure or R1200GS down it. But I'm not a Novice pilot, either.

This close to the border....I really wanted to see it. So we did. And look what we found.

That's the Rio Grande behind Monty and you're staring at Mexico over his shoulder. This remnant of an old house or fort was pretty cool. Then, the strangest thing happened. While Monty was hiding in the Fort.

Some Dude comes hiking by us right through the bush...

Can't say where he came from or even where he was going. Just glad I had my camera in hand. What timing eh?

I don't see that every day on my GPS. Just sayin...

HF

HighFive screwed with this post 12-12-2009 at 04:33 PM
Old 12-10-2009, 04:51 PM   #27
Monty
Calm Like a Bomb

Just as we left that spot, there was a guy driving an old beater pickup out of a brushy area. Don't know what that was about. Maybe he was watching us?

We did not ride the whole river road. The western section is where the sand and gravel is. But every time I have ridden it, it was not bad. We were running out of daylight and it was raining so we went up Black Gap road back to pavement. Black Gap is the roughest road in the park, but is not bad either. A good rider could take a 990 or big GS just about anywhere in the national park.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:33 PM   #28
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Aaahh yes....Black Gap Trail indeed. What a mighty fine trail it was. Best one I rode in the Park so far. Much more "work" than the other roads....which was a good thing....cause it help "heat" us up. The weather had really taken a turn for the worse. It was windy, rainy, and COLD! The ground was getting slick and sticky at the same time. Just what you bargain for when you're in the Middle of Nowhere.

Returning to camp, we had one of the largest whitetail deer (both body & rack) I've ever seen....strut out into the middle of the road right in front of us. Monty could of spit on him. And I had a Park Ranger argue with me later, that there weren't any Whitetails within 500 miles of the Big Bend, just mule deer only. But what do I know...

Returning to camp, the weather continued to deteriorate further.

And the rains came down....for the rest of the night. Our campsite used to be some kind of old homestead back in the day. There was one dilapidated old shed back in the bushes with a partial tin roof. Looked to be pre-depression era. We took refuge in there while using Monty's reflective safety blanket for a makeshift roof liner.

Somewhere under that pitiful shelter, in the miserable cold rain, I look up at Monty and tell him, "Dude...I need a fire! I can't spend 5 more nights like this without a fire." (Memo to File: Big Bend National Park does not permit campfires)

Monty agrees its a bleak predicament considering the forecast which he checked at the park headquarters when we arrived. This is when Monty drops the biggest bombshell of the entire week. Everybody listen up....

"Well....we could go the the other Big Bend." Say what? There's another one? I never heard of that. Ain't on my map!

Monty says, "Sure thing....its the old Big Bend Ranch that the State of Texas has purchased and turned into a park. Might be even better, at least we can have a campfire there." "Only been open a few years, and only recently for motorcycles. That's right, it used to be No Motorcycles Allowed until about a year ago. Probably haven't been more than a hundred riders see it yet...."

Hhhmmmm.....only 60 miles West, you say. Let's go check it out first thing tomorrow!

Monty agrees, but says we'll have to hurry!

All I can say about the rest of the night is this:

HF

HighFive screwed with this post 12-10-2009 at 07:42 PM
Old 12-10-2009, 08:01 PM   #29
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Day 4

Rise and shine! No biscuits on a stick today. We got to ride.

But whoa pardner....what's wrong with this picture?

Hhhmmmm......

Now, I can already tell....this is no doubt My Fault....somehow.

So, can you guess Monty's trade?

Hhhmmm....Think I'll go riding.

At least its not raining. I head on down the trail a good ways...just plunkering along. Take a few photos and enjoy some awesome scenery. That's when I hear someone yelling. Hollering at the top of their lungs. Uh-oh....its Monty. I make a U-turn and backtrack to find him doing something really unusual.

Working on his bike....again!

At least he did get out of camp...but didn't make it a full mile before incurring the flat. Honestly, its awful easy to get a flat out here! Really...Truly. But I didn't.

Well, I can see this is going to be a looooooong day because.....well......we're in a HURRY!

HF

HighFive screwed with this post 12-12-2009 at 04:38 PM
Old 12-10-2009, 08:20 PM   #30
Krabill
Beastly Adventurer

That's hilarious

The funniest part is you being packed up and ready to ride at 8am. Don't think I've ever seen that before. Must be a new trick you just learned