Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2009, 06:12 PM   #76
locorider
Loco, pero no estúpido!

Oddometer: 2,471
Again, this is a great RR! Had fun reading it!

"If you don't follow your dreams, you might as well be a vegetable", Burt Munro, The World's Fastest Indian
locorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 06:55 PM   #77
cgwt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Man, Big Bend Ranch State Park...WoooHoo

I enjoyed the rr very much. Like your use of language, seems you've done this before.

We spend Thanks Giving there. I did just over 600miles on the dirt and off road there.

It was all worth it. Hope more people will go there.
Gideon

cgwt screwed with this post 12-15-2009 at 07:10 PM
cgwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 09:04 PM   #78
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgwt
I enjoyed the rr very much. Like your use of language, seems you've done this before.

We spend Thanks Giving there. I did just over 600miles on the dirt and off road there.

It was all worth it. Hope more people will go there.
Gideon
Thanks cgwt. Man, that' looks like a good breakfast! Maybe we should have gone over to the kitchen when we had a hankering for some bacon & eggs. on Day 6.

HF
Athena Big Bore Project
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 10:05 PM   #79
fotobo
KTM rider

Oddometer: 1,587
Glad to see the old KLR out again. Wasn't sure you still had it. I know you was talking about selling it at one time.
Old 12-16-2009, 10:54 PM   #80
TexasPrairieRider
Texan

Oddometer: 623
Wink

Everyone knows this is a cowasaki, you should know this you both are riding one.

(I like pie.)
TexasPrairieRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 05:11 AM   #81
Monty
Calm Like a Bomb

Oddometer: 199
Of course, a cowasaki.

Man, I sure wish I could have stayed one more day. Looks like I missed some great riding at the park. But, if I had stayed, of course I would have had to ride thru the snowstorm. Just our luck to have caught the earliest
snow on record.

That gives me an excuse to go back and ride the park again. I'm already planning another trip. How does March sound?

Great job, HF.
Monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 05:44 AM   #82
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,885
Weather

I didn't want to hi-jack into you guys thread until it was done----but I was down that way just too when HF was there. I was in Southern Arizona and New Mexico. And the weather was unbelievable.

I guess we've all heard of a 100 year flood that comes every 100 years or so. Well this was the 100 year early cold, wind, snow and ice.

Cloudcroft in New Mexico experienced rain--turned to freezing rain--then 18" snow--then 75mph winds which took their power lines and trees out----It was many days before they got it back.

I tried to ride up to Mt. Lemmon and ride the dirt jeep trail (control road) out the North side of Mt. Lemmon and work crews wouldn't let me up the mountain even on the pavement. Trees down all over the long steep climb up the mountain from the ice and wind.

I tried to ride the El Camino Del Diablo trail ( the devils highway) in Southern Arizona--weather wasn't the problem there ---the lady wouldn't give me a permit to ride out there on my motorcycle. I could take 10,000 jeeps thru but no motorcycle she insisted. This was after I had called the office and confirmed that yes I could ride a bike thru there.
She said--you can't ride that ATV out there---I said it ain't an ATV---well you can't ride that dirt bike out there---I said a dirt bike is an unlicensed vehicle---mine is full legal---she got huffy and puffy--maybe I did too---it was all over.
I only know of one documented tail of anybody riding a bike thru there----it's on advrider if you do a search for "El Camino Del Diablo"---it was a few years ago.
It was on my bucket list-------and still is I guess--I'm not takin it off---I will be back and approach a little differently

I went North of there and tried to ride some trails I didn't years ago---it was now a wilderness area

I had been in this same area this year in January and it was so nice---and me and Lefty made it all the way North to Sheep bridge Northeast of Phoenix---so I assumed I'd be OK-----not so.

So I made another few attempts at elevation--no go.

I camped at the South end of Guadalupe National park---and past several overturned semi's and campers and was told a 100mph wind blew them over right before I got there. There is a marked dangerous wind tunnel there---I'd been there before---but that day it went bazonkers.

But I did get to "BigDog" canyon---------yeh, it was on my bucket list.

It was Big Dog canyon in my gps---but was Dog canyon when I got there and saw the sign. Dummies--got it named wrong. Spectacular 60 mile ride down a dead end road at the North end of Guadalupe National Park.
I tried to ride on the the high ridge in the Lincoln National Forest just North of there------16" of snow and where they wasn't snow it was deep, sticky, gooey New Mexico mud------we all know the story about that stuff.

Anyway--figured HF and Monty would want to know some of the details of this as I was invited to go with them but went my own way---got kicked in the ass.

I was on my WR250R.
2013 Husky 650 TR650 Terra

BigDogAdventures screwed with this post 12-17-2009 at 05:49 AM
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 10:27 AM   #83
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,900
HF/BD/whomever - How did you keep your camelbak from freezing?
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 04:09 PM   #84
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasPrairieRider
Everyone knows this is a cowasaki, you should know this you both are riding one.
Well.....you just added to my piece of pie! Super Thanks!!!
HF
Athena Big Bore Project
Old 12-17-2009, 04:15 PM   #85
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com
I didn't want to hi-jack into you guys thread until it was done----but I was down that way just too when HF was there. I was in Southern Arizona and New Mexico. And the weather was unbelievable.

I guess we've all heard of a 100 year flood that comes every 100 years or so. Well this was the 100 year early cold, wind, snow and ice.

Anyway--figured HF and Monty would want to know some of the details of this as I was invited to go with them but went my own way---got kicked in the ass.
Holy Smokes BigDog! Its quite comforting to know you have worse luck than me. Might be thinking I'm glad you didn't throw in with us after all. Just sayin.

HF
Athena Big Bore Project
Old 12-17-2009, 04:20 PM   #86
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by skierd
HF/BD/whomever - How did you keep your camelbak from freezing?
Shivering usually provides enough motion to keep the water moving around.

The other options are two-fold, depending upon how cold it is.

1) I blow back all the water (out of my tube) after taking a drink. Just a little huff & puff will do it.

2) Put the Camelback "under my coat" (inside against my shirt) when its really cold.....like Day 7 when I left the Ranch to head homeward.

HF
Athena Big Bore Project
Old 12-17-2009, 08:21 PM   #87
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

How to Stay Warm

I almost forgot to share one of my most valuable tricks to staying warm while riding in cold weather, and sleeping in a tent when its sub-freezing!

I use these "Hot Hands" products a LOT. Most people are familiar with these nifty little Pocket Warmers:

But did you know they make several other types of this product too?

These little "Toasti Toes" are pretty nice:

They are quite thin, and you put them inside your sock underneath the ball of your foot....up near your toes. Work very well and last quite a while. Not too uncomfortable, especially if your just sitting on the bike on a long ride.

But, they also make an entire self-heating insole which you peel the backing off of and stick to the bottom of your sock. Its shaped like your foot and covers the entire foot from toes to heel. These things work fantastic and last about 6 - 8 hours. Very comfortable. I've done lots of standing and walking with them attached to the bottom of my feet without any discomfort. I don't have a photo to show you because I used the last of mine on this ride coming home. Got to go buy some more at Wally World, Bass Pro Shop, or most any sporting goods / hunting related store. I've found the best assortment at Walmart, but not every Walmart carries all the versions made. You might have to visit a few different stores until you hit the jackpot.

Then, there is the Grandaddy of all their heat pads:

This one is Big....about 5 or 6 inches square, and really does last a long, long time. On super cold nights, of which I had a few, I put one of these inside my sleeping bag. It seriously helps heat the bag up....sometimes like an inferno, and I wake up sweating!

Great tricks of my trade. Hot Hands also makes a body patch which peels and sticks to your skin. I've put a few of those on before with great results. Put them on my thighs, chest, and back. But I didn't use any of these stick-on kind on this trip. Wish I had....I just didn't have any with me. It was supposed to be 60 - 70 degrees Farenh, remember? Monty promised!

HF
Athena Big Bore Project
Old 12-18-2009, 05:59 AM   #88
Monty
Calm Like a Bomb

Oddometer: 199
Thats strange, because I don't remember promising any such thing. Must be that 50 year old syndrome you talked so much about. Seems to make you imagine things that did not happen.

Those hot hands were a life saver on my trip home. I had one in each boot, one large one stuck on my chest, and one small one in each glove, which kept the back side of my hands, not warm but bearable. It was so cold the grip heaters could not keep up. I was using my elk skin gloves from Aerostitch. No insulation in the gloves, but with grip heaters and hot hands, and Aerostitch rain covers, it kept my hands from freezing solid.
Monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 12:40 PM   #89
smilin jack
Grandpa Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,226
Big Bend Ranch-a cold adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com
It's all clear to me now.

You 2 guys were going to put this old dog out of his misery on this ride weren't you. And you may have very well accomplished just that.

You had me freezin' here in my computer chair---had to get my fuzzy slippers and my blanky
Hard to type with gloves on !!!
Nice ride report. You're having too much fun for this time of year.

It was cold in western Oregon that week too. Here's the daughter trying to keep warm while on the internet.

I rode to work each day in the -11°C temps (11°F).

Dave
Attached Images

smilin jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 12:45 PM   #90
smilin jack
Grandpa Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,226
Commuting to work in cold weather

Here's one behind work at sunrise. I wore my FirstGear insulated rainsuit to keep warm, with Hippo hands, neoprene face mask and arctic pack boots.

Glad you guys had fun. Enjoyed the cooking on the stick thing. Saw a guy cook a biscuit in an empty beer can in the fire coals... using it like an oven. Worked OK, so tried it myself (Pillsbury pop-n-fresh). Sure learn a lot reading the ride reports.

Yes that's blue duct tape holding the windshield extension together.

Thanks

Dave
Attached Images

smilin jack is offline   Reply With Quote