User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2014, 06:48 PM   #1
shedmarket OP
Chris

Oddometer: 463
Retrofitting Traction Control

OK all you technical buffs, is it possible to retrofit traction control to a 2009 model with factory fitted ABS?

Whilst riding the other weekend I figured that the traction control would be a main bike engine management/computer feature using the ABS system already fitted so thought , "I wonder if you got a wrecked current model with ABS and traction control and swapped the engine management system over to my current model would I then have traction control?" You may need to also swap over the instrument unit as well but can it be that simple?

Of course I am prepared for the "how stupid are you" comments but hey, if you never ask you will never know.
shedmarket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:11 PM   #2
Reaver
Outta Here

Oddometer: 2,415
In a word.......Yes.
Is it worth it? Likely not.

I'm doing an ABS retrofit so I have an idea of what's involved. No, I don't care what others have to say about it's merits so I'm not questioning you.

It will be very costly and time consuming.

In '09, TC wasn't available so the bike doesn't have the "infrastructure" to add it on. You will need the entire system off a donor bike. Wiring harness, ABS unit, all piping, handlebar combi switch and if you're still with me.....all the computers to assimilate the "identity" of the donor bike.

Easier to trade yours in for a new one.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=11
Reaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:23 PM   #3
moto74
Displaced

Oddometer: 141
I have TC on mine and if the elves stole it overnight I wouldn't miss it for a second. Gets switched off at the mere suggestion of dust. Unless you corner in the rain like a madman it's surplus to requirements IMHO.
moto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:31 PM   #4
Reaver
Outta Here

Doesn't let you wheelie either.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:07 PM   #5
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,461
And you have to ask yourself, what's the point of a motorcycle that doesn't wheelie? (Besides hill climb competitions!)
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 12:15 PM   #6
Reaver
Outta Here

I thought that's how you pass Harleys in the corners?

Old 01-22-2014, 12:20 PM   #7
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,461
Only uphill. Downhill you drift it.
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 12:36 PM   #8
Reaver
Outta Here

Harleys can drift. They even come with that cool option that creates fireworks while in progress. What's it called..........................................

Chrome?

Old 01-22-2014, 06:51 PM   #9
Hamish71
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 390
I have the abs and traction control on my 2013. In my opinion, off road, both are rubbish. The abs calibration is shitty. I hate to say it, but it is agricultuaral compared to that used on the new ktm 1190s.

The traction control, off road...is shitty as well. Its shitty when you are on the gas, and it is shitty when you take off. Even a novice can provide better traction control via the clutch than that provided by BMW.

If I had my rathers, Id remove both....maybe leave ABS on the front wheel...but thats it.

So, in my opinion...can it be done....sure....
Should you do it...a case of beer and a pocket full of cash will deliver you a much more acceptable outcome.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:35 PM   #10
raider
Big red dog

Oddometer: 1,582
Again setting aside the "is TC a good idea" argument, since you clearly have decided you think it is, it's like an oft-brought up question on a 4x4 forum I frequent - "what's the cheapest way to convert my automatic gearbox to a manual?", and the answer is invariably "take it to the dealer and trade it on a manual model". As the TC-equipped GS is now retailing in many markets for less than your non-TC one cost you, the changeover cost will be low, especially if you put a dollar value on your time.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:20 PM   #11
shedmarket OP
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by raider View Post
Again setting aside the "is TC a good idea" argument, since you clearly have decided you think it is, it's like an oft-brought up question on a 4x4 forum I frequent - "what's the cheapest way to convert my automatic gearbox to a manual?", and the answer is invariably "take it to the dealer and trade it on a manual model". As the TC-equipped GS is now retailing in many markets for less than your non-TC one cost you, the changeover cost will be low, especially if you put a dollar value on your time.
I couldn't agree with you more and have used the "the cheapest options is to jack apart the number plates and bolt a new car in between them" line myself. I haven't made my mind up either way, nor experienced, as to whether it is an advantage or not. It was a thought that came into my head while riding out on my own last weekend and kept going over the process in my head.

In most applications, traction control systems utilise the same sensors as the ABS system. The GS models use the Can-Bus electrical system where a single wire can be used for multiple tasks. Drive as reduced when slipping is detected by cutting fuel and/or spark through the engine management system. The older models and the newer models all access dash options through the on "INFO" button on the handlebar. The dash looks the same on all models.

The only difference could be the ECU with nothing else needing changing and was wondering, with the enormous amount of technical boffins on here, if that could be the case. We all know manufacturers these days like to keep costs down by utilising existing parts wherever possible so it is a distinct, although highly unlikely, possibility.

I ruled out the electronic suspension very quickly as the wiring loom would need the extra connection points to go to the shocks, that would be way too big a job and not worth the effort.

So I thought I would put out the question, more as a talking point than anything else. Converting one to the other that is, not if it is worth it or not. You have to have something to talk about while drinking and we have over covered the merits of these rider aids, so let's get more technical, you have better hypothetical arguments that way.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:37 PM   #12
raider
Big red dog

Oddometer: 1,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by shedmarket View Post
I couldn't agree with you more and have used the "the cheapest options is to jack apart the number plates and bolt a new car in between them" line myself. I haven't made my mind up either way, nor experienced, as to whether it is an advantage or not. It was a thought that came into my head while riding out on my own last weekend and kept going over the process in my head.

In most applications, traction control systems utilise the same sensors as the ABS system. The GS models use the Can-Bus electrical system where a single wire can be used for multiple tasks. Drive as reduced when slipping is detected by cutting fuel and/or spark through the engine management system. The older models and the newer models all access dash options through the on "INFO" button on the handlebar. The dash looks the same on all models.

The only difference could be the ECU with nothing else needing changing and was wondering, with the enormous amount of technical boffins on here, if that could be the case. We all know manufacturers these days like to keep costs down by utilising existing parts wherever possible so it is a distinct, although highly unlikely, possibility.

I ruled out the electronic suspension very quickly as the wiring loom would need the extra connection points to go to the shocks, that would be way too big a job and not worth the effort.

So I thought I would put out the question, more as a talking point than anything else. Converting one to the other that is, not if it is worth it or not. You have to have something to talk about while drinking and we have over covered the merits of these rider aids, so let's get more technical, you have better hypothetical arguments that way.
Ah, you're a wise man!

As so someone posted above, the master brain of the bike has to recognise all of the individual sub-components - I suspect a simple computer change won't work because the new computer won't cooperate with the old sensors - an entirely new wiring harness is probably needed. And there's two things a sane rider should never do: deep sand, and his own wiring
Old 01-23-2014, 01:09 PM   #13
shedmarket OP
Chris

Quote:
I suspect a simple computer change won't work because the new computer won't cooperate with the old sensors - an entirely new wiring harness is probably needed. And there's two things a sane rider should never do: deep sand, and his own wiring
This is the part I was hoping the tech heads could clarify, are the sensors different? Also, with Canbus, simply changing the sensors may suffice without the wiring change needed.

I will agree with you on the deep sand but what's wrong with a twist and some electrical tape, it has worked for decades? Also remember, if it cannot be fixed with a hammer, it's an electrical problem!
Old 01-23-2014, 02:09 PM   #14
Reaver
Outta Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by shedmarket View Post
This is the part I was hoping the tech heads could clarify, are the sensors different? Also, with Canbus, simply changing the sensors may suffice without the wiring change needed.
Well you're just going to have to do your own research then. Go to Max BMW's parts fiche and start comparing PN's between yours and a '13 with TC. I can tell you with all certanty that the ABS module and MOST of the brake lines are different as well as the wheel speed sensors. So, if your ABS plug won't plug into a new one, or has one more pin....you need a harness. Maybe if Erling tunes his F8 to the point of 100 more HP, he'll look into it for you!

Quote:
. And there's two things a sane rider should never do: deep sand, and his own wiring

Oops. Might have mentioned that earlier. I just replaced the main harness on my '12.

Old 01-28-2014, 04:36 PM   #15
USA_MEDIC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
Not sure about 2009' but on a 2010 the dealer can enable traction control and install an new switch on the left hand grip where the abs switch is, total price is 500-700 depending in the dealer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Former Caponord Owner
Former XR650L Owner
Former XR250L Owner
USA_MEDIC is offline   Reply With Quote