Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2010, 09:52 AM   #151
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBuoy
I'm comin to Jersey!!!

That's interesting that you are the same size and you feel buffeting and he doesn't. Besides that, how is overall protection when comparing the two? I'm talking about arms, shoulders, etc. Does he have the winglets on the Aero?

I'm not sure if he has those or not. Arms and shoulders are protected on both units.

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 12:44 PM   #152
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,288
DP is reffering to me. I ride at elevations above 6,000 feet and the Aeroflow works great for me. I do wish they used a higher grade of polycarbonate. You really have to use specific cleaners and polishers to keep her clear and it seems to have a blue haze due to the grade of polycarbonate. I do see an issue with the brackets that may effect how upright the unit is when installed from bike to bike. I installed mine very upright and I also use an aerodynamic Shoei RF2000 helmet. The Aeroflow support bracket is formed and bent on a break press and is subject to getting the wrong bend angles by the operator holding the part in his hand. I would gladly pay $900. if they used a high grade Polycarbonate like "Makrolon AR". So I plan to replace the Aeroflow screen every few years anyway so there really is no bargain to be had. The Desierto 3 seems to be made of very high quality materials.

2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 2011 Husaberg FE570S, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2010 BMW F800GS
2007 Husqvarna TE610 , 2003 KTM 525 MXC

Indy Unlimited screwed with this post 02-14-2010 at 12:53 PM
Indy Unlimited is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 04:12 PM   #153
FatBuoy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 227
I appreciate you and DP sharing, but wish you both liked the same one!

Indy-I heard DPs side as to why he likes the TT better. Since you've ridden with both why do you prefer the AF?
FatBuoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 06:40 PM   #154
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,288
I have not had a chance to ride the Desierto. Only DP has tried both to my knowledge. But the Desierto quality appears to be better and all the owners are satisfied. I am very happy with the shape and performance of the Aeroflow but the material could be better quality. IMO I would rather get something that works well and looks good for years. Desierto appears to have an edge in this regard.

2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 2011 Husaberg FE570S, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2010 BMW F800GS
2007 Husqvarna TE610 , 2003 KTM 525 MXC
Indy Unlimited is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 11:00 AM   #155
Lindeberg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden
The Wunderlich Vario just "got here" to the USA, I posted that in the other thread, but sorry... not here:

It is in the same $300 price range as the MadStad.

http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/mm5..._Code=F800GS-X

the height adjustment is in two places one requires an allen key while the other has the lever.
Like the $800 price-leader it goes up and down, but no angular adustment.

That's about all I know so far, but I did get an e-mail from William @ Wunderlich USA saying they were now in stock.
If I order that from Germany (to Sweden) it will cost me $230, very nice price. Thanks for the tip.

Anyone knows how the height compares to the original F800GS screen? BMW high touring screen?
Old 02-17-2010, 07:14 PM   #156
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,204
As near as I can tell...

Wunderlich adjusts between 330mm (13) to 450mm (17-1/2)

The stock F800GS is approx. 13"
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 08:11 PM   #157
drofwaves
MT

Desierto 3 Install

Installed a Desierto 3 today. Very easy install. Fit and finish of very high quality. Only had time for 10 miles, so far very good. I'll put some miles on the bike this weekend and report back.

Oh, and it looks very good.
drofwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 04:05 AM   #158
Aether
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by drofwaves
Installed a Desierto 3 today. Very easy install. Fit and finish of very high quality. Only had time for 10 miles, so far very good. I'll put some miles on the bike this weekend and report back.

Oh, and it looks very good.
You said the Ztech tall clipped you at the forehead. Where does the windstream hit you now?
Aether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 05:24 AM   #159
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Im 5'9 and in the tall pos the TT D3 deflects the airstream over my helmet. Just. But it does.

Old 02-19-2010, 06:13 AM   #160
FatBuoy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot
Im 5'9 and in the tall pos the TT D3 deflects the airstream over my helmet. Just. But it does.
Hey DP-Still on the fence between TT D3 and AF. I just saw your height. You said your buddy (Indy) with the Aeroflow is about the same. Now I REALLY don't know what to do, as I'm 6'1. If the airstream is just barely over your helmet it would be hitting mine. I wonder how the Aeroflow does? Indy, you out there? What height did you get? Does the air flow over your helmet? I had the tall on my 1150ADV and the flow was about two inches over mine...perfect.
FatBuoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 09:41 AM   #161
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Yup. I also use the standard seat, no low boy. I also use a Arai XD.

Old 02-19-2010, 10:43 PM   #162
drofwaves
MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aether
You said the Ztech tall clipped you at the forehead. Where does the windstream hit you now?
I rode with the fairing today, no rain. I am 6'3", with a 35" inseam. My seat is a custom Rich a bit taller than OEM. I have ridden the bike with the OEM screen and a Ztechnik Tall.

The OEM screen airflow was difficult as it felt my helmet was being pulled off my head. The airflow was directed low on my helmet.

The Ztech Tall was much better than OEM. A big drawback with the Ztech was its restriction to steering. I installed Ztech mirror extensions but the bases of the clutch and brake levers hit the screen. I tried to remedy the conflict by rotating the levers, no luck. I later installed 20mm risers, no change. They just hit the screen on a slightly different spot. I have been in contact with Ztech and they hinted they had a bad batch, who knows. It is my understanding they will be sending me a new screen if anybody is interested I will have it available for a reasonable price. My feedback to Ztech was I felt the screen was raked too far aft.

As far as the TT fairing I am quite happy so far. The fairing creates a different shaped shelter than the Ztech. With the TT the calm area is taller and more narrow than the Ztech. Also the boundary between the calm and the airflow is less severe. IE, with the Ztech the distance between calm and high speed air was very small. With the TT the boundary is "soft". In other words, the air flow is hitting me about the same spot as with my Ztech, but the air in that spot is much softer. My shoulders however are getting stronger flow than with the Ztech.

Another observation of note is I was feeling the air around my body and especially my head and didn't notice much difference a few inches above my helmet.

I was running the spoiler in the most upright position. The first trial I had the fairing canted forward, the second aft. I need to do that again before I can speak on the difference.

I hope this may help. If you are in the Seattle area and are trying to make a decision regarding the purchase of this fairing you are welcome to ride my bike.

Questions are welcome.

drofwaves screwed with this post 02-19-2010 at 11:33 PM
drofwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 05:25 AM   #163
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Yes, riding the spoiler in the fore or aft positions do make a very big difference I have found. I like it because it is very quick and simple to move the position of the screen. So, it's hot, your offroad ? Down she goes, on the way home it's raining or cold ? Up and foward it goes.
I tested mine with an Arai XD which is notoriously noisey and sensitive to the wind.
Again, is it an overpriced piece ? Hell ya, TT has some nerve, but does it do the trick ? Yep. Drink a 12 pack, wait 15 minutes for it to fully kick in, then push the "BUY" button.

Old 02-21-2010, 02:16 AM   #164
GoDag
Explorer

Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by drofwaves
I rode with the fairing today, no rain. I am 6'3", with a 35" inseam. My seat is a custom Rich a bit taller than OEM. I have ridden the bike with the OEM screen and a Ztechnik Tall.

The OEM screen airflow was difficult as it felt my helmet was being pulled off my head. The airflow was directed low on my helmet.

The Ztech Tall was much better than OEM. A big drawback with the Ztech was its restriction to steering. I installed Ztech mirror extensions but the bases of the clutch and brake levers hit the screen. I tried to remedy the conflict by rotating the levers, no luck. I later installed 20mm risers, no change. They just hit the screen on a slightly different spot. I have been in contact with Ztech and they hinted they had a bad batch, who knows. It is my understanding they will be sending me a new screen if anybody is interested I will have it available for a reasonable price. My feedback to Ztech was I felt the screen was raked too far aft.

As far as the TT fairing I am quite happy so far. The fairing creates a different shaped shelter than the Ztech. With the TT the calm area is taller and more narrow than the Ztech. Also the boundary between the calm and the airflow is less severe. IE, with the Ztech the distance between calm and high speed air was very small. With the TT the boundary is "soft". In other words, the air flow is hitting me about the same spot as with my Ztech, but the air in that spot is much softer. My shoulders however are getting stronger flow than with the Ztech.

Another observation of note is I was feeling the air around my body and especially my head and didn't notice much difference a few inches above my helmet.

I was running the spoiler in the most upright position. The first trial I had the fairing canted forward, the second aft. I need to do that again before I can speak on the difference.

I hope this may help. If you are in the Seattle area and are trying to make a decision regarding the purchase of this fairing you are welcome to ride my bike.

Questions are welcome.
I installed the Desierto 3 Fairing about three months ago and have put about 400 miles on it so far. Drofwaves's description is a good representation of my experience. The Desierto fairing is a great improvement over OEM however it is a bit expensive. The only improvement I would add at this point is wing nut screws on the adjustable wind shield. This would make adjustments easier and more secure.
GoDag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 06:39 AM   #165
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Godag,
Arent your adjuster nuts large knurled type ? I find mine very easy to loosen and adjust. What I would like to see it a knurled mateing surface between the fairing and the screen. I cant help but wonder if the screen will beging to slide back after hours of wind balst pushing it back. The 1200GS had this type of thing.