Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2010, 05:09 PM   #166
GoDag
Explorer

Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot
Godag,
Arent your adjuster nuts large knurled type ? I find mine very easy to loosen and adjust. What I would like to see it a knurled mateing surface between the fairing and the screen. I cant help but wonder if the screen will beging to slide back after hours of wind balst pushing it back. The 1200GS had this type of thing.
Yes, I have the large knurled adjuster nuts and they are fairly convienient to loosen and adjust. I'm thinking it would be even eaiser to adjust with a wingnut set up. Especialy with gloves on. I like the knurled mateing surface between the fairing and wind screen idea. That would work great What would Touratech do with out us?
GoDag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 05:59 PM   #167
drofwaves
MT

Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoDag
Yes, I have the large knurled adjuster nuts and they are fairly convienient to loosen and adjust. I'm thinking it would be even eaiser to adjust with a wingnut set up. Especialy with gloves on. I like the knurled mateing surface between the fairing and wind screen idea. That would work great What would Touratech do with out us?
Or, how about using a neoprene washer in lieu of the metallic washer supplied.

If you don't like that idea, glue some 400 grit to both sides of the supplied washer.

I'm going to try the neoprene idea.
drofwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 06:09 PM   #168
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,125
I also thought of the sand paper , emory cloth idea too. I think it'll need something for sure.

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 07:50 AM   #169
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,128
Question bump: Wunderlich / Madstad adjustable windshields?

As much as I'd like the Desierto 3 ... the price is just outta reach at the moment ...

I'm wondering if anyone has tried the new adjustable screens from Wunderlich and/or Madstad yet on an F800GS or F658GS?
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 12:32 PM   #170
FatBuoy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot
Again, is it an overpriced piece ? Hell ya, TT has some nerve, but does it do the trick ? Yep. Drink a 12 pack, wait 15 minutes for it to fully kick in, then push the "BUY" button.
Followed your advice on this one DP, and i didn't even drink! Don't get me wrong, it would have helped but I was at work and now REALLY can't afford to get fired! I'll post thoughts in a couple of weeks.
FatBuoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 03:31 PM   #171
markymcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 882
It was a matter of time, but I finally pulled the trigger. On the ride back from Seattle to Vancouver I tried about 6 different positions at highway speed (no helmet beak on) and pretty much all of them were better than every other option i've tried so far... and believe me i've done lots before.

Just went out today and had helmet beak and goggles on and hit the highway. I am more than impressed. There is still some wind vibration at speed but i'm going to try some vinyl trim on the outer shield and see if that makes a difference. Even if it doesn't I am still one very happy (and broke) camper.

Will hopefully have pictures soon.

cheers,
Mark
Old 03-17-2010, 05:35 PM   #172
Aether
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 250
Ha, I bit the bullet and placed my order last night too. Shipped today. TT is probably wondering why the sudden influx of orders...
Aether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 05:33 AM   #173
FatBuoy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by markymcd
There is still some wind vibration at speed but i'm going to try some vinyl trim on the outer shield and see if that makes a difference.
Whatchu talkin bout Willis? Please explain the vinyl trim thing.
FatBuoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:23 AM   #174
markymcd
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBuoy
Whatchu talkin bout Willis? Please explain the vinyl trim thing.

When I bought my 'PowerBronze/Metal Mule' screen, it came with a tinted vinyl U channel that you attach to the edge of the screen. In theory it reduces buffeting. I seem to recall trying it on that screen with it on and off and it did seem to make a bit of a difference.

If you look at your stock bimmer screen you will notice that it has a roundish shape at the outer edge. Same thing. Most aftermarket screens are thermo molded and straight cut and I think BMW probably uses an injection mold which gives them opportunity to create the extra shape on the edge.
Old 03-19-2010, 04:56 AM   #175
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,128
Micro-Swirl Edging ?

This has been discussed a bit...

http://www.saeng.com/product.php?id=581&category=80

I don't think I have heard anything conclusive one way or the other...
Note that the price $12.90 is PER FOOT with 3' minimum, but it does come with money back guarantee........
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 04:20 PM   #176
Bushwhacker
Dirt, Sweat & Gears

Oddometer: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden
This has been discussed a bit...

http://www.saeng.com/product.php?id=581&category=80

I don't think I have heard anything conclusive one way or the other...
Note that the price $12.90 is PER FOOT with 3' minimum, but it does come with money back guarantee........
The stock screen on my 05 955 Tiger caused the air flow to hit me right about eye level and created major buffeting.

I thought this stuff looked perfect. I only needed to move the air flow an inch or two.

If this stuff moved the air flow at all, it moved it somewhere between 1/8 and 1/4 inch.

It might have gotten the air flow up to between eyebrow and eyelash level but it did not help.

I really do not think it helped at all. The buffeting was just as bad after installing this stuff as it was with the bare windshield.

YMMV

When you look like a rude, crude, scum sucking cretin, people tend not to ask you stupid questions!
Bushwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 03:26 PM   #177
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,378
So going back to the original topic... does the D3 fairing work well on the 800? I had it on the 1200 and it was fantastic.
Old 03-20-2010, 04:56 PM   #178
markymcd
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
So going back to the original topic... does the D3 fairing work well on the 800? I had it on the 1200 and it was fantastic.

I've got it on mine (650twin) and just got back from another longish ride and I completely love it. have had about 4 other windshield variations and they don't come close.

I still think some of the awkward little turbulance comes from the bottom sides and travels up. I made some 'wing' attachments for the stock 800 shield and it made a big difference. I might mock something up for the D3 and see if it makes it even smoother.

I've got some different fasteners ordered as an alternate to the slightly knurled round plastic tightening knobs. I'll post a report when I get them and if they work I'll post where I got them from. They're about $1.50 each.

Oddly enough i'm almost preferring the lower position on the highway too.
Old 03-21-2010, 06:04 AM   #179
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,125
Desertio and Version 2 Renazco Seat Review

Had a chance to ride almost 200 miles yesterday with the Desertio and Jame's revised F800 masterpiece.

Desertio:
It works. And it gives the bike an awesome look. On the way out to the BMW open house we were on dirt/back roads. Shield down. On the way back, we took the slab due to time constraint. Shield up and foward. I was able to ride at 80mph with my helmet shield up.
The only problem is, and I did foresee this happening, was that the D3 shield will begin to push back due to the vibration and the wind pressure.

The Renazco seat is awesome. Absolutly no foward slant. Nice, comfy and level. And looks like it belongs on the bike and not on a Harley dresser.

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"

DockingPilot screwed with this post 03-21-2010 at 06:12 AM
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 07:38 AM   #180
Matt W
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Renazco seat??

I had emailed for some pics of his new version, is this the new version? or is this the older version? I am just trying to see a few before I order. Thanks