Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2010, 08:46 PM   #241
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout
Then I sat on my floral print couch and fondled Woody goodness.
Pervert!

David

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 06:32 AM   #242
RV8Pilot
Blue,Green,Blue,Gree.....

Oddometer: 213
Your farting noises don't count Reinbold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot
Rode home with my helmet shield up and no glasses on either. Geez I could hear every sound my bike makes now.
Sounds nice........

Old 05-04-2010, 09:34 AM   #243
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout
First I ate dinner

Then I sat on my floral print couch and fondled Woody goodness.

At the steak and the wheels. NOT the couch.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 08:12 PM   #244
F8 Pilot
Bak in the Sadl & Lovinit

Oddometer: 81
Eh? Are you Growing?

Hey Frank / DockingPilot, I've been out of town working so I've been trying to get caught up on my ADV reading. On 4/20 you mentioned you were 5' 9" and on 5/1 you mentioned you're 5' 10".

At that rate of growth you'll have to extend your windshield before your September adventure!
Old 05-04-2010, 08:29 PM   #245
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,340

Well if you insist on being that excact. I say Im 5'10, my wife however insists Im 5'9.
Now my waistline........

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 07:42 PM   #246
LilDirtRat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
lanky

Ok I read the whole thing, but now I can't remember.. Who's the tallest dude using the Desierto 3 and how is it?

at 6'4", I'm a little concerned about wind on this bike.. The Aeroflow XL is like 19" ("for 6'2" and up"), but looks ultra dorky.. If I can get by with the desierto at ~17", I'd drop the coin in a heartbeat

LilDirtRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 08:00 PM   #247
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,340
Well it aint me, but at 5'9-5'10 depending on who's measuring it's abslolute perfection. Low for off pavement, up and out for high speed slab. Its the cats ass. To me anyway.

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 08:24 AM   #248
drofwaves
MT

Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilDirtRat
Ok I read the whole thing, but now I can't remember.. Who's the tallest dude using the Desierto 3 and how is it?

at 6'4", I'm a little concerned about wind on this bike.. The Aeroflow XL is like 19" ("for 6'2" and up"), but looks ultra dorky.. If I can get by with the desierto at ~17", I'd drop the coin in a heartbeat
I'm 6' 2.5" with a 34" inseam and have a D3. My saddle is a custom tall so I probably sit an inch taller than in the OEM Nutcracker. The fairing works well for me. It doesn't turn the bike into my 1150GS with a big Ztech screen but it creates a nice little calm in which to hide. My shoulders are still in the strong airflow but that is not an issue for me.

Take my opinion with a grain of salt as I spoke on the phone with FatBuoy regarding the D3. He eventually bought one and apparently cannot talk himself into liking the thing. Maybe you can buy his?

Scott
drofwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 09:20 AM   #249
LilDirtRat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
...so strange how it's good for you but not someone who sits a good 2" lower than you.. weird.

I guess the only way to know is to give it a go.. at least they're in high enough demand in the flea market to move it sideways if it doesn't work out..

thanks!

LilDirtRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 09:21 AM   #250
rhicks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
Scott,

I'm 6'2 with a 34 w/ stock tall saddle so after reading your post I'm going to be somewhat confident this screen will work for me.
Old 05-06-2010, 09:32 AM   #251
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,338
If anyone wants to sell theirs, please let me know.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 10:00 PM   #252
push_bars
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Pissed

I am sure there will be a collective groan coming from the wallets of several people on this forum for bumping this thread but I have to (yeti is that sound coming from you? )

Anyways... I can't stand the noise any longer. My ears are ringing from the days ride in spite of using excellent ear plugs. I have a LLip on the stock screen and it takes the pressure off but does not smooth out the air. I have two helmets, an XD3 and a Vector and both are down right annoying due to the loud turbulent air. (I ride about 80 on average)

At this point I will try anything to fix it including the nuclear option (DIII) if I could be assured that it would actually fix the issue. I am 6' 1" with the stock seat and a 34" inseam.

There are a few in this thread that it seems to work for -- can one you of that is of similar height describe the types of wind noise you hear before and after? Perhaps if the way the noise sounds to you from a before is similar to mine and this shield is working for you it will work for me.

With my Vector I am hearing a sharp snappy buffeting noise but not really feeling the wind push me around...
push_bars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 04:07 AM   #253
FatBuoy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by push_bars
I am sure there will be a collective groan coming from the wallets of several people on this forum for bumping this thread but I have to (yeti is that sound coming from you? )

Anyways... I can't stand the noise any longer. My ears are ringing from the days ride in spite of using excellent ear plugs. I have a LLip on the stock screen and it takes the pressure off but does not smooth out the air. I have two helmets, an XD3 and a Vector and both are down right annoying due to the loud turbulent air. (I ride about 80 on average)

At this point I will try anything to fix it including the nuclear option (DIII) if I could be assured that it would actually fix the issue. I am 6' 1" with the stock seat and a 34" inseam.

There are a few in this thread that it seems to work for -- can one you of that is of similar height describe the types of wind noise you hear before and after? Perhaps if the way the noise sounds to you from a before is similar to mine and this shield is working for you it will work for me.

With my Vector I am hearing a sharp snappy buffeting noise but not really feeling the wind push me around...
I'll chime in again. We are the same height, I have a 33" inseam and stock seat height.

I really like the combination of wind protection/off road visibility and looks of mine. I do believe that you could get a windscreen with better wind protection (you could also get a better bike for street use or dirt use only), but the off road worthiness and looks will suffer in doing so. Buffeting for me is non existent (if buffeting is defined as your head getting tossed around and/or your vision being blurred) but the niose is crazy loud. If that's what's going to turn you off from this, then run away. The wind that is creating the noise for me is coming up the sides of my helmet. I think it may be hitting my arms and shoulders, which direct it to where its hitting it. Now what I did to make it all better was to reserach, then buy, some fantastic ear plugs-problem is solved. I got 7 sets of the Hearos plugs for $7 on eBay. You mentioned in your post that you had tried excellent ear plugs with what you have and it still doesn't work. Before running out and buying the $800 Desierto, spend a few bucks on the Hearos and see if that takes care of your problem if that's your only beef with it. But to recap, I have now made peace with my D3 as long as I have the plugs in....
FatBuoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 08:21 AM   #254
spankyaf
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by markymcd
Love mine. Wished they made better adjustment knobs though.

Nice I thought the anti glare shield was a conflict with the Disero fairing...is there any custom fitting here. Also whats the best option to close the gap between the Disero and the headlight unit? TT has the cockpit shield but I'm wondering if the instrument panel cover would help. Thx in advance
spankyaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 09:36 AM   #255
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,199
Question

I'm disappointed in the noise report on the DIII

I've been experimenting to reduce noise and found that if I shrug my shoulders with my current setup the noise is considerably reduced ... I really don't have much noise (I wear ear plugs) unless there is a crosswind. With strong crosswind the noise level is FAR TOO HIGH.

A present I have almost a "naked" F658GS - I am using a shortened version of the F650GS screen that barely covers the gauges -- I have a Shoei TZ-R I am 6' 1" w/ 32" inseam... I think the padding has loosened up some in my helmet (18 months old) and that isn't helping......

I don't suppose anyone has been able to do a real-world compare of the DIII vs. the Madstad & the Wunderlich adjustable screens?

Madstad adjusts up/down + angle and can be removed for off-roading leaving just a bug-shield over the gauge cluster but looks are "questionable" ...

Wunderlich adjusts up/down but has fixed angle...

Both are ~$300 USD..

Thanks!

JRWooden screwed with this post 05-17-2010 at 09:55 AM
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote