Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2010, 10:21 AM   #256
markymcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankyaf
Nice I thought the anti glare shield was a conflict with the Disero fairing...is there any custom fitting here. Also whats the best option to close the gap between the Disero and the headlight unit? TT has the cockpit shield but I'm wondering if the instrument panel cover would help. Thx in advance
No custom fitting with the anti glare shield needed. The cockpit shield does work as they have modified installation instructions on the Desierto if you have it. I'm eventually just going the get the instrument cover. They have one on the display f800 in Seattle with the Desierto and it looks good. Plus you get the extra power sockets.
Old 05-22-2010, 11:39 AM   #257
KnuckC
F8er

Oddometer: 199
What are your impressions of the screen off road?

The black plastic below the screen rises above the handlebars blocking visibility. It looks like it would affect offroad visibility, especially of the front tire.
KnuckC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 11:57 AM   #258
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnuckC
What are your impressions of the screen off road?

The black plastic below the screen rises above the handlebars blocking visibility. It looks like it would affect offroad visibility, especially of the front tire.
Negative. Can see just fine. Simular to the 950/990 view.

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 05:21 AM   #259
OZZY-GS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 393
Its arrived

G'day all.
The Screen finally arrived in the post today(4 1/2 months after ordering), i couldnt wait to get home and fit it to my beloved F800.
I open the box to see a big bag of nut bolts etc, another bag of brackets, support frame, the perspex part of the screen and I finally get down to the black plastic part of the fairing to find a 15mm crack in it...........Fx#k it !!
I call Touratech straight away and tell them and ask if they have any left from the last shipment, they say yes one more. They go and check it and call me back 1/2 hour later to say this one is cracked aswell. Shit!!!
They are calling me back tomorrow(probably to tell me that I have to wait another few months for a new piece)
My Question is can I get the black plastic portion plastic welded or will this not work. I don;t want to wait another few months..
Old 06-28-2010, 11:44 AM   #260
KnuckC
F8er

Originally posted by htmon:

Quote:
My Question is can I get the black plastic portion plastic welded or will this not work. I don;t want to wait another few months.
Mine came cracked and without holes. I took it to several plastic companies who weld, bond etc. and none were able to repair it. I am using the cracked fairing while waiting for a replacement from Touratech. With the windscreen protecting it, so far it has not been an issue.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:54 AM   #261
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,779
Man, you guys, for $800 you'd think TT could send out a decent product that has the proper holes and isn't cracked. This has been my experience with TT's products in the past as well.
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 03:04 PM   #262
Mike.C
Stelvio Dreamer!

Oddometer: 589
HTMON maybe they sent you the one that I got which was cracked and sent back..... on 29th April.

We ordered two and only one which was cracked turned up, no one seems to have any idea when they will be available here in Oz. My suspicion is that they have had trouble and are sourcing a new supplier or redesigning the part.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:20 PM   #263
KnuckC
F8er

Originally posted by Mike C:

Quote:
My suspicion is that they have had trouble and are sourcing a new supplier or redesigning the part.
Touratech Canada tell me the part is available in Germany and will arrive in Canada around July 6th. I'm not holding my breath. Thankfully the cracked one will work for now.

FWIW the Desierto does work really well.
Old 06-28-2010, 07:00 PM   #264
markymcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnuckC
Originally posted by Mike C:

Touratech Canada tell me the part is available in Germany and will arrive in Canada around July 6th. I'm not holding my breath. Thankfully the cracked one will work for now.

FWIW the Desierto does work really well.

Never deal with Touratech Canada... especially if you're in North Van.... Go down to Seattle. It's super easy... I installed mine in their loading bay.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:23 PM   #265
rockinrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,828
made of?

What is thing made of ? If its showing up cracked I would worry about durability on the front of a DS motorcycle.
rockinrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 10:42 AM   #266
Downer
Downer

Oddometer: 210
Plenty in Germany

I had one installed by one of the Official Touratech satellite dealers on June 15th. He had them in stock. Doesn't appear to be a shortage here. I am still working on finding the right adjustment. Heading to the BMW Rally in Garmisch this weekend so I will have plenty of time to fiddle on the way there.
Downer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 08:58 PM   #267
KnuckC
F8er

Originally posted by markymcd:

Quote:
Never deal with Touratech Canada... especially if you're in North Van.... Go down to Seattle. It's super easy... I installed mine in their loading bay.
Thanks for the info. I agree with you completely. In fact I just got back from TT Seatlle today. The only reason I ordered the Desierto from TT Canada was because someone in Seatlle screwed up and told me that Germany didn't ship their allotment and it would be 4 more weeks. Of course the day after mine arrived from Montreal, cracked, I get a call from TT USA that my Desierto arrived along with other items I ordered.

Originally posted by rockinrog:

Quote:
What is thing made of ? If its showing up cracked I would worry about durability on the front of a DS motorcycle.
I am not sure what it is made of. I know its not some form of Poly, because a plastics company couldn't weld it. It doesn't appear to be ABS either because ABS glue had no effect. Whatever it is it is non-porous as no-one had any success bonding it.

As far as durability, the crack has not spread after several hundred miles of riding, including at speeds of over 140 kph. I have a feeling they received a bad batch and did not catch them before they shipped, which explains the delay in the U.S., a delay which no longer exists. Hopefully Canada will receive the replacement during next week as promised.
Old 06-30-2010, 05:06 AM   #268
RV8Pilot
Blue,Green,Blue,Gree.....

Oddometer: 213
Got mine a last week with no cracks. Installed it despite the lousy instructions and pictures TT provides I replaced a Wunderlich adjustable with the Desierto and love how well it works for 20.00 worth of parts and 780.00 worth of engineering
Old 06-30-2010, 06:01 AM   #269
OZZY-GS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 393
Im another one using the Screen with a cracked fairing.
Still looks cool though.
Sorry for the pics but I only just put it on tonight and couldn't help posting pics.
Also excuse the state of my shed. Will get better pics on the weekend out and about.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:03 AM   #270
wvanh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Mine wasn't cracked, the left side was completely broken off. Because the screw holes were ok on mine a hot glue gun and duct tape has kept it together and functioning well (even at 120mph). That said, it's been 2 months since Touratech Holland told me they'd ship a replacement part and it's been very quiet on their end lately.
wvanh is offline   Reply With Quote