Oddometer: 8,469
No, stock mirror setup.

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 12:20 PM   #92
F8 Pilot
Bak in the Sadl & Lovinit

Oddometer: 81
Thanks, looking forward to the ride report.
Old 12-26-2009, 08:09 PM   #93
jeffchri
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot
Jeff,
hopefully you can today, because it's pouring here. And forget the dirty ride, stock shield works there, take her out and bring her up to speed to see how it does deflecting slab style wind. Although your experience will be unique.
I got to ride for about 30mins this evening, bombing back and forth up and down the interstate. I didn't wear earplugs, so that I could have a good sense of the impact of adjustments. My experience is that it's definitely better than both the stocker and the Adventure screen, which I've lived with until this point. The positions with the upper screen raked forward (pointed more towards vertical) were far better than those that had the upper screen matching the angle of the lower bit of fairing. All heights worked well enough, with the middle height probably being the best. Oddly, the tallest introduced some thrumming that wasn't entirely pleasant in the visor, perhaps due to some air coming in between the fairing and screen at the high position.

Hard to know exactly how "good" you can reasonably expect a visor-d dualsport helmet to behave at 70mph, but this sure seems like it's getting close to as good as it gets. At any rate, it was definitely nice to have windblast taken off of my torso, I could turn my head side to side and get no wind pressure blast that torqued on my neck, etc. Time will tell if some of the other vibrations I was sensing would start to drive me crazy. Plus, btw ... it looks bad-a$$ ... :)

Quote:
Also Jeff, I am not having a cleance issue with the headlight. Its sorta close but no contact.
I definitely have a problem with the fit, as it runs into the anti-glare guard (http://www.touratech-usa.com/shop/sh...FD69LUvO3F9050) and prevents the headlight from being adjusted high enough. Franke, do you have one of those fitted? I've pinged the guys at Touratech to see if this is a known issue.
2010 BMW S1000RR - soooooon, very soooon ...

Recent past: Montesa 4RT (now in the hands of the fiancee), Weestrom, F650GS Dakar, Yammy WR250F, (a scooter), (another scooter)

jeffchri screwed with this post 12-26-2009 at 08:43 PM
jeffchri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 09:04 PM   #94
go coastal
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Thanks for posting the review Jeffchri. It was an expensive bet on your part but it sounds like it worked out. I have wanted this thing for quite some time but only now just pushed the "purchase" button at Touratech after reading your review.

Cheers
go coastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 04:39 AM   #95
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffchri
Franke, do you have one of those fitted? I've pinged the guys at Touratech to see if this is a known issue.
Jeff, no, I do not actually. Is you headlight now out of position ?

Nice test Jeff. I will be out on mine today testing. Again. I'm 5'9"-5"10 with an XD , standard seat (soon to be a Renazco). And Drumming sensation or lack thereof, is what I'll be focused on.
I owned the king of the XD drummer's, the 950 Adventure !

Old 12-27-2009, 06:18 AM   #96
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,232
I used to use an Arai XD and I have had the Shoei hornet for 2 years now and it is superior to the XD in air flow design at 70 mph in open wind on my Husky TE610. Don't be afraid to toss a new helmet into the test mix.

2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 2011 Husaberg FE570S, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2010 BMW F800GS
2007 Husqvarna TE610 , 2003 KTM 525 MXC
Indy Unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 06:26 AM   #97
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Unlimited
I used to use an Arai XD and I have had the Shoei hornet for 2 years now and it is superior to the XD in air flow design at 70 mph in open wind on my Husky TE610. Don't be afraid to toss a new helmet into the test mix.
Being friends with you is proving to be more expensive than having kids !

Old 12-27-2009, 07:39 AM   #98
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,232
I wish us development gurus would live closer so as to share and compare set ups and accessories more easily and cost effectively. Oh well. You know what they say about us pioneers, we always end up taking the arrows! The Touratech arrows hit the deepest when they don't work out. That stuff is pricey!

2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 2011 Husaberg FE570S, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2010 BMW F800GS
2007 Husqvarna TE610 , 2003 KTM 525 MXC
Indy Unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 10:14 AM   #99
jeffchri
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Quote:
Jeff, no, I do not actually. Is you headlight now out of position ?
I'll try removing mine - it should be fine without it.

Quote:
... And Drumming sensation or lack thereof, is what I'll be focused on.
There might still be some of that, I'm really not sure. I prefer what it is now to what I had before, though. Though again, $800 better? Umm ...

Oh, FWIW, I was playing with speeds around 60-70mph.
2010 BMW S1000RR - soooooon, very soooon ...

Recent past: Montesa 4RT (now in the hands of the fiancee), Weestrom, F650GS Dakar, Yammy WR250F, (a scooter), (another scooter)
jeffchri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 01:21 PM   #100
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Just in.

Again, Im 5'9" with an Arai XD.

"It's a keeper" for me.

Lets face it, it's not the low position that needed evaluation. Summer, off pavement, you want air, almost any shield will do including the stock one. No, it's the higher speeds that needed something else for me. The stock shield was best too for me. Air, and it was clean, but it was tireing after a while holding on with that wind blast.

All the aftermarket shields I've tried did take the blast off my chest and arms but threw turbelant air at my helmet creating a lot of noise.

For me, this shield in the upper/foward position cured all of this.
Finally !!
I rode fast county roads and then took it out on Rt. 80 and throttled up to 90mph. Here's what I noticed:
I can ride with my helmet shield up with no tearing. Sun glasses on.

I can turn my head left and right with it wanting to twist right around. No wind resistence at all.

I can actually hear my bike if you know what I mean.

No pressure on arms and chest.

Now, I wasn't in a vacume either. So don't get the wrong picture, it was not like riding a RT, but this bike is not an RT. But the air I was in was pretty calm. No drumming in the top/foward position. Once off the high speed roads, it takes all of 15 seconds to lower it.

One thing I want to keep an eye on is wether the wind resistence on the shield will push it back with the force and vibration. There are no notches like the 1200's have on the oem shield bracket. This is just two smooth surfaces with a knurled nut creating the sticktion.

So, at last I found a shield I am happy with. Cost me a rude amout of $$, they really have nerve , but it does the job and looks pretty cool to boot.

Now I just have to keep telling myself to keep this bike for a while with all the $$ I've got in it. My friends circle me like vultures waiting for my well farkled bikes.

Old 12-27-2009, 04:29 PM   #101
zaner32
In over my head

Oddometer: 640
Quote:

Now I just have to keep telling myself to keep this bike for a while with all the $$ I've got in it. My friends circle me like vultures waiting for my well farkled bikes.

Thanks Frank!! Now I'll have to go out and buy one! They're only about $1,100.00 here. I've already checked!
zaner32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 05:06 PM   #102
go coastal
n00b

Touratech Canada

Hey Zaner32,

If you can possibly find a US address to use you will save yourself about $230. I just ordered one from Seattle and had it shipped to a buddy in Port Angeles Wash. All in, with dollar difference, tax, and shipping factored in it was $935 CAD. That's enough if you ask me; too much in fact for an already overpriced item (I can't believe I actually paid that). I sent a message to Touratech Canada and asked them where they got their price from (Ze Motherland no doubt). I explained that I would rather support the Canadian Team but just couldn't justify the price difference. No reply yet...

I'm a noob but it seems most people on here are pretty friendly; somebody on here would probably let you ship it to them and then forward it on.

Ben
Old 12-27-2009, 05:21 PM   #103
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

JP, If your crazy enough to pull the trigger on one, I'll do that for you my friend.

Old 12-27-2009, 05:53 PM   #104
markymcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by go coastal
Hey Zaner32,

If you can possibly find a US address to use you will save yourself about $230. I just ordered one from Seattle and had it shipped to a buddy in Port Angeles Wash. All in, with dollar difference, tax, and shipping factored in it was $935 CAD. That's enough if you ask me; too much in fact for an already overpriced item (I can't believe I actually paid that). I sent a message to Touratech Canada and asked them where they got their price from (Ze Motherland no doubt). I explained that I would rather support the Canadian Team but just couldn't justify the price difference. No reply yet...

I'm a noob but it seems most people on here are pretty friendly; somebody on here would probably let you ship it to them and then forward it on.

Ben
Hey Ben, if you live within a reasonable distance from the border you can also ship to CanAmer Freight in Blaine Washington and they only charge you about $3 for receiving it. But, then again you might as well just ride down to Seattle without a fairing and install it and ride back

I've been working on a design that will attach to the stock screen that will do the same thing for probably less than half the price, but that is a little down the road from now.
Old 12-27-2009, 08:17 PM   #105
go coastal
n00b

CanAmer Freight

Thanks for the tip markymcd. I had no idea that you could do that. I think that's going to come in handy. I live in Victoria so Port Angles and Blaine are about the same distance/cost for me. Still a helpful tip though.

I'm intrigued about your future mod to the stock screen. Sounds far more reasonable! Keep us informed.

Ben