Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2009, 08:44 PM   #106
markymcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by go coastal
Thanks for the tip markymcd. I had no idea that you could do that. I think that's going to come in handy. I live in Victoria so Port Angles and Blaine are about the same distance/cost for me. Still a helpful tip though.

I'm intrigued about your future mod to the stock screen. Sounds far more reasonable! Keep us informed.

Ben

And... about 90% of the time, I haven't been charged duty or tax when coming back over the border... must be my smile

I'll keep the crew here in touch to my progress for the shield... i'm working on the proto now for the side 'wing' accessory and doing lots of research and thinking about a simple & easy to adjust universal system for a front shield and bracket.
Old 12-28-2009, 05:08 AM   #107
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 8,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by markymcd
And... about 90% of the time, I haven't been charged duty or tax when coming back over the border... must be my smile

I'll keep the crew here in touch to my progress for the shield... i'm working on the proto now for the side 'wing' accessory and doing lots of research and thinking about a simple & easy to adjust universal system for a front shield and bracket.
When you do, make sure the 2 adjusting surfaces have some kind of teeth embedded in them like the 1200 has. The ability to adjust foward is key.

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 07:10 AM   #108
zaner32
In over my head

Oddometer: 645
Quote:
Hey Zaner32,

If you can possibly find a US address to use you will save yourself about $230. I just ordered one from Seattle and had it shipped to a buddy in Port Angeles Wash. All in, with dollar difference, tax, and shipping factored in it was $935 CAD. That's enough if you ask me; too much in fact for an already overpriced item (I can't believe I actually paid that). I sent a message to Touratech Canada and asked them where they got their price from (Ze Motherland no doubt). I explained that I would rather support the Canadian Team but just couldn't justify the price difference. No reply yet...

I'm a noob but it seems most people on here are pretty friendly; somebody on here would probably let you ship it to them and then forward it on.

Ben
Yeah, I know, i've never used this process yet, but if this foolishness continues I will. I just ordered a Garmin Oregon 300 from the US and got it for $200 less in Cdn money cheaper delivered than buying here locally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot
JP, If your crazy enough to pull the trigger on one, I'll do that for you my friend.
Thanks Frank. I might take you up on that someday, but I have a place just across the border where I can have it shipped. I'm just lining up to get prices on other things and setting up for delivery in May.
zaner32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 11:30 AM   #109
dukedar
60 easy payments!

Oddometer: 340
Quote:
I sent a message to Touratech Canada and asked them where they got their price from (Ze Motherland no doubt). I explained that I would rather support the Canadian Team but just couldn't justify the price difference. No reply yet...
The dealer where I bought my bike is also TT Canada...

It looks like they are closed from the 25th of Dec. through Jan 11!

http://www.motointer.com/BMW/en-CA/index.aspx?CatID=56

I wouldn't expect a response too soon
Old 12-28-2009, 01:54 PM   #110
jeffchri
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffchri
I definitely have a problem with the fit, as it runs into the anti-glare guard (http://www.touratech-usa.com/shop/sh...FD69LUvO3F9050) and prevents the headlight from being adjusted high enough. Franke, do you have one of those fitted? I've pinged the guys at Touratech to see if this is a known issue.
Definitely a conflict here, though not anything close to a deal breaker for me. I heard the final word from the helpful folks at Touratech:
This is a known issue. The desierto fairing by design works decently as an anti glare shield. before you file anything I recommend going for a ride at night with the glare shield removed and see what you think.

Sales Team
Touratech-USA / CycoActive Inc.

I'll give it a whirl this evening and see what I think. I rather like the look of the anti-glare guard, however, so once I'll probably do some filing anyway ...
2010 BMW S1000RR - soooooon, very soooon ...

Recent past: Montesa 4RT (now in the hands of the fiancee), Weestrom, F650GS Dakar, Yammy WR250F, (a scooter), (another scooter)
jeffchri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 06:43 PM   #111
kelsow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,096
Zaner, contact Eric at a vicious cycle in ON, I believe he can get this stuff at very good prices.

Tell him I sent you.
Site: dualsport.ca and rideatlantic.ca
kelsow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 10:45 PM   #112
jeffchri
Gnarly Adventurer

Another update: got the zumo mounted fairly nicely by drilling out a new RAM ball mount point. Some pics follow ...

New mounting point (and old one, the lower one, that didn't work well):

GPS and fairing/windscreen mounted:

Works quite well, though there is more vibration than I'm used to, compared to when it was mounted on the bars. I think I can finagle something to help damp the vibes, we'll see. LOVE having the GPS that far forward, makes it easy to read while keeping eyes (mostly) on the road.

Final pic, capturing my "re-branding" of the fairing ... it has a giant Touratech symbol, which I'm not a big fan of, so I used a spare rondel and stuck it on. It looks quite good, IMHO.

Kinda want to get a big roadbook holder next .... not sure where it'd go, though.

Recent past: Montesa 4RT (now in the hands of the fiancee), Weestrom, F650GS Dakar, Yammy WR250F, (a scooter), (another scooter)
Old 12-29-2009, 12:17 AM   #113
AKTroy OP
BE AWARE OF TRAINS

Oddometer: 2,208
That is EXACTLY what I was thinking of. Cant wait to see how the vibration thing works out. Im SO close to ordering one.
AKTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 03:24 AM   #114
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
Quote:
Definitely a conflict here, though not anything close to a deal breaker for me. I heard the final word from the helpful folks at Touratech:
This is a known issue. The desierto fairing by design works decently as an anti glare shield. before you file anything I recommend going for a ride at night with the glare shield removed and see what you think.

Sales Team
Touratech-USA / CycoActive Inc.

I'll give it a whirl this evening and see what I think. I rather like the look of the anti-glare guard, however, so once I'll probably do some filing anyway ...
Interesting: Bit annoying TT don't put known 'conflicts' next to all their parts in the catalogue. For the price you pay, that short of thing should be included as part of the service. I had wondered about the Darth Vader bit acting as a glare shield as I noticed the overhang on the lights (which is where the fouling would occur). It would be interesting to hear your thoughts on how well this 'feature' works compared to the original glare shield. I run dual 50W HID and do the lion's share of my riding at night so it's a fairly important factor to me.

Like others, I was secretly hoping it'd be a bit gash. :)

In the up and 'fore' position, the lines/angle echo the new Tenere to me, me likey. Interesting to see that you can adjust it without tools too. IIRC, TT '09 catalogue claimed you needed a size 6 spanner to adjust it. Makes much more sense to have finger screws like that.
Old 12-29-2009, 06:23 AM   #115
zaner32
In over my head

Oddometer: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsow
Zaner, contact Eric at a vicious cycle in ON, I believe he can get this stuff at very good prices.

Tell him I sent you.
Thanks Kelsow. I wasn't aware that Eric was a Touratech distributor.
zaner32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 09:07 AM   #116
jeffchri
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri JC
Interesting: Bit annoying TT don't put known 'conflicts' next to all their parts in the catalogue. For the price you pay, that short of thing should be included as part of the service. I had wondered about the Darth Vader bit acting as a glare shield as I noticed the overhang on the lights (which is where the fouling would occur). It would be interesting to hear your thoughts on how well this 'feature' works compared to the original glare shield. I run dual 50W HID and do the lion's share of my riding at night so it's a fairly important factor to me.
Ah yes, that ... definitely isn't as good a shield as the separate anti-glare shield. I have dual HID replacements as well and I find quite a bit of light catches the back side of the Desierto and reflects upwards and back.

I'll contact the TT guys again with that info and see what their suggestions are. There IS the possibility you can attack the anti-glare shield with a Dremel and make it fit, and it could actually look quite spiffy if you do it right ... but yes, it's a bit of a drag.

Old 12-29-2009, 10:24 AM   #117
Bike4Fun
Smooth IS Fast

Oddometer: 1,588
Quote:
Ah yes, that ... definitely isn't as good a shield as the separate anti-glare shield. I have dual HID replacements as well and I find quite a bit of light catches the back side of the Desierto and reflects upwards and back.

I'll contact the TT guys again with that info and see what their suggestions are. There IS the possibility you can attack the anti-glare shield with a Dremel and make it fit, and it could actually look quite spiffy if you do it right ... but yes, it's a bit of a drag.
The TT glare shield is hard plastic right and that is the problem? What if you could replace that with a rubber one that would flex at the necessary point? I have the complete set up and the rubber shield works great!

http://www.bestrestproducts.com/p-60...ightguard.aspx
Bike4Fun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 10:40 AM   #118
jeffchri
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike4Fun
The TT glare shield is hard plastic right and that is the problem? What if you could replace that with a rubber one that would flex at the necessary point? I have the complete set up and the rubber shield works great!
Ah, great! I ordered one, I'll see how it works. At the very least it's a $10 part I can cut/trim and play around with, and it looks like it should work okay with the BMW headlight guard.

Old 01-04-2010, 05:37 PM   #119
tumbleweed695
tumbleweed695

Oddometer: 49
Thanks Frank and Jeff for all the great pics and testing.Ill be calling TT to get mine.The thing looks so awsome .
tumbleweed695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 07:25 PM   #120
jeffchri
Gnarly Adventurer

I got the Best Rest flexible glare shield thingy and it doesn't look half bad. Haven't ridden it much to figure out how well it works, but a quick checks suggests that it'll work fine. Thanks for the pointer! I'll post a pic at some point.

Beware that this fairing is more expensive than it seems, however - sure, it starts with the $800 for the actual fairing, but then factor in the rally riding dreams it tends to generate, and pretty soon you're ordering a roadbook, computers, huge tanks, and a ticket to Africa (or Argentina) ...