Old 12-16-2009, 04:37 AM   #16
AugustFalcon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tompound
Hey Jack,
FF'er here how are ya?
Let me know when you are doing it. Is John doing it too?
I am Thinking of doing it again after this tour is over in mid august, but riding all the way home this time.
Cheers
Hey Tommo... good to hear from you.

Don't know yet if John wants to do it again, or, if he can since I think he used up most all of his accrued vacation time on the last trip. His bike's up for sale -- don't know if he's going Orange or not but I think he really likes the thought of 450 ccs, particularly out west.

If everything comes together I will be riding home, too. There are some guys up this way who are trying to put together a dirt route connecting the northeast from Massachusetts down through Pennsylvania, West Virginia and over to the TAT in Tennessee. That's how I'd like to get to and from the TAT -- had enough of the truck on the last trip.

As soon as things firm up I'll let you know and perhaps we can hook up -- I would enjoy it. My only concern is that I'm kind of slow but I'd usually be able to catch up with you by the end of the day so everything would work out.

Enjoy the rest of the tour... I'll be in touch.

have some fun....

04 BMW R1100S
02 KTM 250 Exc Racing

SmugMug referral code: jXF8ohDWlTm56
AugustFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 08:50 AM   #17
Tompound
M.M.S. Tommy

Oddometer: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustFalcon

As soon as things firm up I'll let you know and perhaps we can hook up -- I would enjoy it. My only concern is that I'm kind of slow but I'd usually be able to catch up with you by the end of the day so everything would work out.

Sounds great, I think I will ride a little slower on the next trip and take my time there was a lot of stress on the last TAT trip, knowing what I know now it will be a better and more enjoyable trip! Barring all the bad shit that can happen!
keep in touch and,

Happy Holidays to You and All!
TET 2012 and then some
TWVT 2012
Tompound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 04:37 PM   #18
gmsnowball
Black Bear Pass

Oddometer: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abenteuerfahrer
NOTAR 520....

For us oldies, it was recommended to go lightweigh. Easier to lift back up in case of tipover than my 1200GS. Seek out these DRZ400s'es; Honda 350-400; Kawa..350,400. Stay away from KLR 650..too heavy!
I have made the TAT, twice, on a KLR 650 with no difficulty. The TAT doesn't get anywhere near difficult until Colorado. We made a side trip to Moab from Monticello Utah as if your that close, 60 miles, how could we pass Moab up? Smaller bikes are easier but many have made the treck all the way to Oregon on KLR's, DR 650's and KTM Adventures. If you get to a spot that you think is too dificult there are many routes around it.

I and my buddies easily qualify as oldies and had no problems, except for one gentelman that broke his wrist in a fall. He still made it to Utah before turning to go home. As far as picking up a downed bike....first of all, try not to fall over Why do you think you travel with buddies, so they can help you pick your bike up, after they take numerous pictures of the fall of course.

Be advised the trail has changed many times since Sam made his first TAT so be prepared to find alternate routes around closed gates etc. You should have no problems and will have the time of your life. Enjoy and take a zillion pictures.

12 Super Tenere
gmsnowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 04:52 PM   #19
Questor
More Undestructable

Oddometer: 3,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustFalcon
If you're an old guy like me (67) and plan on camping get a National Parks and Recreation Senior Pass for $10 then most of the Federal pay campsites are 1/2 price.
Heck!

That's one great reason to travel with an 'older' rider...
50% off campsites!

Q~
Questor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 06:46 AM   #20
DirtyDR650 OP
Mud Lover

Oddometer: 332
Looks like most folks are going in mid-late summer.

So as first-timers, we're wondering about the time it takes to do each state. We have 10 to 14 days, our original plan is Jellico TN to Bartlesville, OK. Is that enough time so as not to be in too much of a hurry?

Since hearing that TN is mostly pavement, we thought we could skip that section for now if time is short. Whadda y'all think?
DirtyDR650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 07:25 AM   #21
Abenteuerfahrer
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmsnowball
I have made the TAT, twice, on a KLR 650 with no difficulty. The TAT doesn't get anywhere near difficult until Colorado. We made a side trip to Moab from Monticello Utah as if your that close, 60 miles, how could we pass Moab up? Smaller bikes are easier but many have made the treck all the way to Oregon on KLR's, DR 650's and KTM Adventures. If you get to a spot that you think is too dificult there are many routes around it.

I and my buddies easily qualify as oldies and had no problems, except for one gentelman that broke his wrist in a fall. He still made it to Utah before turning to go home. As far as picking up a downed bike....first of all, try not to fall over Why do you think you travel with buddies, so they can help you pick your bike up, after they take numerous pictures of the fall of course.

Be advised the trail has changed many times since Sam made his first TAT so be prepared to find alternate routes around closed gates etc. You should have no problems and will have the time of your life. Enjoy and take a zillion pictures.
Hi gmsnowball...

The average age of TAT'ers are in the 40-50's. Those who are in their 30-50's easily manhandle a KLR 650; KTM Adventure or F650GS. Me being in the midsixties as well as others???....I've practiced lifting a DR-Z 400s flat from the ground..wooo. isn't that easy. A fully loaded DRZ weights about 350#...righting the bike is roughly a 175# payload effort. Not too easy for us oldies. I would even go with a even lighter bike...however on the slab it is too uncomfortable to our derriere's! Not to miss some cool challenging spots your chances are better with a light bike.

Dirtydr650

It is 836 tarmac miles from Jellico, Tn to Bartlesville, OK. Assuming you ride on the dirt 150 miles a day, then it will take you 5-6 days to Oklahoma. Very doable....most ride more miles than that. You could still do New Mexico and some parts of Colorado! cheers...see you on the dirt!!
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 09:12 AM   #22
gmsnowball
Black Bear Pass

Everything is Relative

I agree, all bikes are not easy to lift from a fall. I have lifted a friends Honda Goldwing, if you know how it makes it much easier. I would guess it depends on your physical condition. I have friends in their 60's who can lift a fully loaded GS no problems and some in their 50's that need help with their KLX 250. I guess that is why we travel as a group, not only to help each other when needed but to make fun of each other when we fall and/or do stupid stuff.

14 days will take you along way on the TAT. Have fun

12 Super Tenere
Old 12-18-2009, 09:21 AM   #23
Jeff@TheQuadShop
TAT survivor

Oddometer: 4,464
Quote:
We made a side trip to Moab from Monticello Utah as if your that close, 60 miles, how could we pass Moab up?

Why would you have to make a side trip? The TAT goes right through Moab!
TAT and TWVT survivor
Jeff@TheQuadShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 09:50 AM   #24
gmsnowball
Black Bear Pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TheQuadShop
Why would you have to make a side trip? The TAT goes right through Moab!
The TAT does not take in the White Rim Trail, La Sal Mountain Loop and Poision Spider........any questions When your that close to some of the best riding oin the world why would you not take a few more days.

12 Super Tenere
Old 12-18-2009, 10:34 AM   #25
Jeff@TheQuadShop
TAT survivor

Oddometer: 4,464
Quote:
The TAT does not take in the White Rim Trail, La Sal Mountain Loop and Poision Spider........any questions When your that close to some of the best riding oin the world why would you not take a few more days.
I know that, you just made it sound like you had to make a special trip from Monitcello to see Moab. Once you cross the La Sals on the TAT your in Moab. I stayed an extra day and did the White Rim trail too.
TAT and TWVT survivor
Jeff@TheQuadShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 07:02 AM   #26
deafPOPEYE
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Pissed

Thank to you, Snowball for your experience and support with attitude. I was kinda discouraged by an older oldie cuz of my age (soon 59). Now, I feel better knowing that I can go on a bigger dual sport bike on TAT. Told him that I had some experience riding on a various owned enduro bikes myself over years. My very last long trip to Alaska was my 1989 Transalp in 1991. It should not give me a "new lesson" except for warm up prior to TAT, of course! Lighter bike, ofc, would be ideally better but I dont want to ship it home afterward. Friendly warning and advice are welcome! Eat and go green like Spinach!
deafPOPEYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 03:45 PM   #27
2goose
n00b

Oddometer: 6
I plan to leave home in WV Mid June and do the whole TAT on a WR 250 R

Bob
2goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 04:02 PM   #28
gmsnowball
Black Bear Pass

Wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2goose

Bob

WOW, you must have buns of steel How many days are you taking If you have a schedule maybe some of the hooligans from Oklahoma could tag along when you make it into Oklahoma I have several friends that like to ride the Arkansas/Oklahoma portion. It is about all they have time for but they do like to ride it.

12 Super Tenere
Old 12-21-2009, 09:01 PM   #29
BikerBill
Motorcycle Addict

Oddometer: 73
Is there a link or post that details the route of the TAT? Sounds like a good ride to me.
BikerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 10:48 PM   #30
bash3r
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2goose

Bob
+1 on the WR250R

I still have winter projects to complete on it.. but she's about ready to go. just go out in my bitter cold garage, hit the start button.. and she just prrrrrs...

For more on the bike.. check out BigDog's rides on his WR:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=430509

Pax & his Pop TAT, both on WRs:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=510252

and Skierd's 6,000 mile TAT expedition on his WR:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=500618

man.. i can't wait!!

My ADV Website
| ADV Legends |Campground POIs
bash3r is offline   Reply With Quote