Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2009, 07:31 AM   #31
Jeff@TheQuadShop
TAT survivor

Oddometer: 4,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerBill
Is there a link or post that details the route of the TAT? Sounds like a good ride to me.
There are probally 100 ride reports detailing this epic adventure in the ride reports section here on this site. Since you live so close to me, I'd be more than happy to meet with you and help you plan your TAT adventure!

You can get the maps and roll charts here... www.transamtrail.com
KY state Vet A offroad champion
TAT, KAT and TWVT survivor
Jeff@TheQuadShop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 07:53 AM   #32
NOTAR_520
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by bash3r
+1 on the WR250R
I think the WR250R is going to be well presented on the TAT in 2010, and has already tackled the TAT in style.
NOTAR_520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 11:15 AM   #33
bash3r
I ain't no DingWeed

Oddometer: 1,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTAR_520
I think the WR250R is going to be well presented on the TAT in 2010, and has already tackled the TAT in style.
Agreed!! As it doesn't really matter what bike you ride.. just ride! But if the question is asked, I always like to recommend this bike as it has proven itself and there are great features about it. Even though its "only a 250" thats fuel injected & a sixth gear

Is it me or does anyone think it would be awesome if the TAT became a TAL.. Trans American Loop! I'm trying to figure out how to route back home!

ADV Gear | 3 Step Hideaway |Campground POIs
bash3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 06:37 PM   #34
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,141
Quote:
Agreed!! As it doesn't really matter what bike you ride.. just ride! But if the question is asked, I always like to recommend this bike as it has proven itself and there are great features about it. Even though its "only a 250" thats fuel injected & a sixth gear

Is it me or does anyone think it would be awesome if the TAT became a TAL.. Trans American Loop! I'm trying to figure out how to route back home!
my 05 trip took me to Moab, then North into Idaho, West to Portland Oregon, North to the Olympic Peninsula, and then back east on Route 2 all the way to Minnesota, into Seaux saint marie (sp?)....across Canada, into Norther NY, and then back home into Vermont. If given the time and resources then a combination of either the TAT and CDT or shadow of the rockies trail would be a fantastic long trip.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 02:00 PM   #35
Questor
More Undestructable

Oddometer: 4,104
Quote:
This past summer we rode the TAT then the CDT, and back along the gulf coast. 3 months, 15,000 miles. I loved it so much, I'm working on a simmilar trip for next summer.

Perhaps you would be interested in my Ride Report...
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...8#post10992778

Q~
Questor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 06:15 PM   #36
bash3r
I ain't no DingWeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questor
This past summer we rode the TAT then the CDT, and back along the gulf coast. 3 months, 15,000 miles. I loved it so much, I'm working on a simmilar trip for next summer.

Perhaps you would be interested in my Ride Report...
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...8#post10992778

Q~
Wow!! Thats awesome.. Now if I only had 3 months to ride such an adventure. As I start to plan, I'm going to see about creating a few loops back home off the TAT. I'm in Missouri and I doubt I'll be able to make it any further west than Colorado anytime soon. And i bet there are some great routes back to Missouri...

I guess I should be thankful I'm in the middle of the country, shouldn't I.. i think maybe probably

Old 12-25-2009, 08:41 AM   #37
edstoll
OPD-2019

Oddometer: 275
Getting home

I am in the middle of the country also (Iowa). I have ridden the TAT from Jellico to Moab in two hitches on my DR650. The ride report is is linked below. I bought an old church van that I am going to take the seats out of and haul myself and a couple others to Oregon to ride that section backwards to Moab this year. I am going to sell the van once I get to Oregon. Is there anyone interested in riding the TAT to Oregon and buying the van to go home?
edstoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 04:36 AM   #38
swamp fox
KLR Cowboy

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abenteuerfahrer
Love to Hack the TAT and be the first to conquer the TAT 100%. Alas!....but not doable...too wide..too heavy, fueling that pig would be enormous. Maybe 50% can be done...Rather do it on a DRZ..cheers Amigo's, see you there.
I did the TAT in July of 2009, and also thought of using a hack. You would really get in to some problems out west in the sage brush in UT, NV, CA and OR. I rode a loaded down KLR650 and it was way too heavy. I am planning to go again in 2011 or 12. If I can afford it I would do a supported run, if not then I would go with the smallest dual sport i can find.

we got rained on in NV in the mountains on the way to Ely it was miserable, there was no traction, every thing was slippery, and the mud caked on every thing. light as I can find next time.
Old 12-26-2009, 05:49 AM   #39
intothenew
Briar Patch Navigator

Oddometer: 2,138
August of 2010, Helena to Monticello.

We ran out of WV and made it to Helena and back in 09. I would not have missed TN for anything, lunch in Bell Buckle was almost worth the trip. The creek crossings are a right of passage.

"For a boy,it was a kind of paradise.
I wasn't just playing Indian, I was living Indian."
intothenew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 06:43 AM   #40
plcprog
Ken

Oddometer: 7
Tat in 2010

I am doing the entire TAT in 2010 by myself unless I can hookup with someone. I plan on starting around the 1st of July. My bike is a DRZ400e with a 4 gal tank. The bike will have Kenda 270 tires on it. With a 16 tooth front sproket and some jetting, my DRZ400e will do 80 and pull like a tractor.
plcprog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 11:13 PM   #41
J Banning
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Hoping to do the TAT in July 2010.
Old 12-27-2009, 04:01 AM   #42
Piston
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
MA to TN dirt trail?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustFalcon
There are some guys up this way who are trying to put together a dirt route connecting the northeast from Massachusetts down through Pennsylvania, West Virginia and over to the TAT in Tennessee. That's how I'd like to get to and from the TAT --
I'm curious if you (or anyone else) has any more info on a dirt route between MA and TN? I am planning on doing the TAT in Mid may and will be riding from central MA to the start on my 640E.
I was planning on taking the Blue Ridge Pkwy the whole way but if I could do it on dirt I would be in heaven!

If there is another thread or a bunch talking about this please post it, if a complete route doesn't exist yet I, would certainly be happy to help create a route with some trial and error riding on my way!
Piston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 04:57 AM   #43
intothenew
Briar Patch Navigator

Oddometer: 2,138
Piston, This should get you started.

"For a boy,it was a kind of paradise.
I wasn't just playing Indian, I was living Indian."
intothenew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 07:40 AM   #44
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,098
I was going to ride out to TN and ride it to around Oklahoma"ish", but after reading Ed Stoll's report I think I am going to try Mississippi to At least Colorado in August-September time frame. Don't know what kind of vacation time I can get with my new job, lots and lots and lots of hours. Did I say a lot of hours? Going to be a Drill Sergeant at Ft Leonard Wood.
Old 12-27-2009, 09:41 AM   #45
bash3r
I ain't no DingWeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk_Uncle
I was going to ride out to TN and ride it to around Oklahoma"ish", but after reading Ed Stoll's report I think I am going to try Mississippi to At least Colorado in August-September time frame. Don't know what kind of vacation time I can get with my new job, lots and lots and lots of hours. Did I say a lot of hours? Going to be a Drill Sergeant at Ft Leonard Wood.
Drunk_Uncle... we have some GOOD riding here in Missouri... check out the MO thread for rides this coming season:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=237413

I too am trying to plan when, what, where, how I'll get to the TAT and what I'll ride. Would love to head to CO.. thats Plan A!